• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 C3PO the Dragon Slayer

C3PO the Dragon Slayer

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

Posted Image

Gear Land is a unique puzzle-platformer that uses 360 degree gravity, where the player navigates on circular gears which move beneath his feet as he walks. The game has 40 levels to beat and 140 diamonds to collect, in addition to a fully-functional level editor.

The game works very simply: when you walk around a gear, the gear will turn beneath you. Gears that are connected will move together, in opposite radial directions. You can jump inside gears with gaps in the floor to walk around on the inside, and then jump out of the gap to catapult yourself to a distant target. You'll find that these simple rules allow for a surprising variety of gameplay.

I created this gameto test out the functionality of GM4Mac. The purpose of the project is primarily to convey how a robust game can be built out of a very simple idea, with minimal features to clog up the level design potential. This was partly because I'm also working on a much larger game on the PC, so I didn't want to have to shift commitments. Nevertheless, I poured a lot of imagination and passion into this game, and I can honestly say I've learned a lot about level design in the process.

Since GM4Mac's sprite editor was sorta buggy, and it's really hard to make good art with a laptop trackpad, I used a simple art style, with the gear sprites generated by an algorithm I wrote in Game Maker. I started this project in December 2010, and finished the engine and the level editor before January. I spent the next two months making levels and polishing the game. The music was created by Duncan McPherson (Gamereality) from the Game Maker Community, specifically for this game.

PC version
Mac version

Posted Image

Edited by C3PO the Dragon Slayer, 14 March 2011 - 10:25 PM.

#2 BubbaMonkeyStudios

BubbaMonkeyStudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:40 AM

Wow!

Beautiful game! Excellent programming!

4.9/5

The only problem was a few glitches, like jumping from one planet to another has a very sudden shift in gravity and also when you inside a small planet and try to jump it pulls you to the center and randomly drops you off somewhere =/.

Once again, really great game, hope to see more from you soon!

-BMS

Edited by BubbaMonkeyStudios, 17 March 2011 - 04:30 AM.

#3 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9395 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

Nice, although I think it needs a little polish. My main problem is I think there should be anti-aliasing on the edges. The simple sprite style kind of needs in, in my opinion, otherwise it looks like placeholder graphics.

Also, the menu items go all blurry and pixely at certain angles...

The game itself was reasonably fun and original though :)

#4 C3PO the Dragon Slayer

C3PO the Dragon Slayer

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

Nice, although I think it needs a little polish. My main problem is I think there should be anti-aliasing on the edges. The simple sprite style kind of needs in, in my opinion, otherwise it looks like placeholder graphics.

Also, the menu items go all blurry and pixely at certain angles...

The game itself was reasonably fun and original though :)

Yeah, I noticed that GM4Mac's rendering is more jagged than the PC version's... probably has something to do with OpenGL. I'm not sure how to fix this on the Mac version, since switching interpolation on doesn't have a noticeable effect (actually, I think interpolation IS on in the app), and the only anti-aliasing methods I know of for GM require DLLs, which of course don't work on a Mac.

#5 KingPete

KingPete

Lord of the Ring

• GMC Member
  • 311 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

Sandbox please.... Limited internet access

#6 binarybits

binarybits

Binary Bits

• GMC Member
  • 396 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

LINK DOES NOT WORK RIGHT!

#7 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9395 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

This game was posted 2 1/2 years ago, it's not a surprise the link doesn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users