#1 Canite

Canite

Canigget

• GMC Member
  • 1358 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:29 AM

Posted Image

Retro Hook is a fast paced platformer where your main mode of transportation is... a grappling hook!
Race against an ominous wall of inversion to get to the end of the level and try to get the best time possible.
I want to see some people beat my high scores!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I know the title screen shots look messy, but trust me, it looks better in-game ;)

•Category: Platformer
•File Size: 2.25 mb
•GM Version: GM 8
•Vista Compatible: Maybe..
•Changes Screen Resolution: No.

•Download Link: Download Retro Hook.rar
Download Retro Hook.zip

There are customizable controls (Special thanks to Mark13673 for his tutorial on remapping controls ;) ) as well as a records for all of your times on the levels. There is no sound yet, but you have the to option to turn it on/off :P Later I will add achievements and maybe some unlockables (I'm open for ideas to what they could unlock..). Anyways, enjoy.
Right now there are only 6 levels, but I'd like to hear what you guys think of it so far :D

Update!!: 3-18-11
  • There are now 10 levels
  • Added an endless mode where it makes a random section from one of the included text files. I'll add more variety to the endless mode later ;)
  • Added a speed run mode where there are no pauses (for your score each level or when you restart), but it doesn't save you end score yet because all the levels aren't there
Upcoming:
  • Achievements
  • Unlockables (from getting achievements)
  • 12 more levels (for a total of 22)

Edited by Canite, 18 March 2011 - 05:57 PM.

Posted Image
Fast-paced grappling hook platformer WIP Topic

#2 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

reminds me of give up robot but harder.

#3 Canite

Canite

Canigget

• GMC Member
  • 1358 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

Heh, I just looked that game up, and you're right. But that game is more of a puzzle platformer where this one is more of a "get to the end as fast as you can" platformer. It was annoying me that their controls are the exact opposite of my default controls xD. Still, not a bad comparison, and I'll play through it a little more and see if I can't find any ideas worth... borrowing :whistle:
By the way, I've got more levels coming soon, and each 5 levels will have some new element incorporated, with the last 2 levels being long with every element added.
Any ideas on what kind achievments I can add and what they should unlock? Thanks for trying it out.

Posted Image

#4 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

one comes to mind...
you use 15 hooks without touching ground or make it through the whole level without touching the ground(could be a hard one to do but hey its an "achievement").
--could unlock an endless mini game mode where you swing until you fall or something of the sort.

#5 Canite

Canite

Canigget

• GMC Member
  • 1358 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

Yeah, I like the first one (15 hooks with touching the ground). The second one would be a little tricky because you touch the ground when you start and you need to when you finish the level.
I was planning on having an endless mode as well, and making it unlockable is a good idea also, thanks ;)

Posted Image

#6 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1615 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:10 AM

Pretty good so far. It's enjoyable, and easy to play. It kind of reminded me of You Found The Grappling Hook by Messhof. I only noticed that after you step through the door, and your score shows up, you can still affect the score by throwing your hook. Other than that, I can't come up with any sort of achievements at the moment aside from the obvious "used under x hooks", "used over x hooks", "achieved x speed", etc. Maybe an achievement for looping around an entire block on one hook?

#gmc - It's like that treehouse club you always wanted to join
Hyl2CGB.png

#7 Canite

Canite

Canigget

• GMC Member
  • 1358 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for trying it Shadow ;)
I played that game you linked to, and I loved it. In fact I had to see more of Messhof's games and I was very impressed. Any idea where I can get a hold of his game, NIDDHOG? I wanted to play it so bad :P

Ah yes, throwing hooks after the end is a very easy fix, but unfortunately I didn't add it to this latest update (which you should check out ;) ).
Looping around a block, that's a good one. By the way, would you guys like it more if you could see the criteria you need to unlock an acheivement, or would you rather have to figure it out?

Posted Image

#8 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1615 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

Niddhog is unreleased as far as I know :|

Just tried out the latest version. The speedrun was especially fun; though, it would be nice if you could show the total time in the corner to keep track of, and for added suspense. Another achievement could be "Flawless speedrun" achieved without losing any level, as well as an achievement for losing each level at least once. As for showing the criteria, that's a toss-up. If it were up to me, I would have them visible so as to not be frustrating. It would be similar to games showing a completed% without actually knowing what contributes to it, and having to play the game pixel-by-pixel just to not miss any minor details. My only other suggestions would be to use .zip, or at least have both .zip/.rar download options just to broaden your player audience. Not everyone can unpack .rar (a sad truth).

I'm not sure if you're already making music/sound effects, but I'll link these in-case you haven't heard of them. All are free, portable, and fairly easy to use:
- FamiTracker, awesome music maker
- Musagi, another good retro music maker, though I don't use it myself
- sfxr, awesome sound effect maker, made by same guy that made Musagi

#gmc - It's like that treehouse club you always wanted to join
Hyl2CGB.png

#9 Canite

Canite

Canigget

• GMC Member
  • 1358 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:50 PM

Niddhog is unreleased as far as I know :|

Damn. xD

Yeah, I'll definitely add a timer in the corner for the speed run mode, I'm just debating on what color it should be. Would red be fine? (I'm color blind, so I never know if colors are difficult for other people to see or anything..) And achievements noted ;)
How do some "Beat the delevoper times" achievements sound? (although I'll warn you my times are quite good :P)

Not everyone can unpack .rar (a sad truth).

Ah yes, I should've realized that.. Who doesn't have Winrar! ;)

I'm not sure if you're already making music/sound effects, but I'll link these in-case you haven't heard of them. All are free, portable, and fairly easy to use:

Actually yes, I've been using FamiTracker for a few months now, but sadly, I'm horrible at making music! I also have sfxer, but I usually just make the sound effects in FamiTracker. Sound effects are easy, and I'll have some done soon, but without any help, it'll be a while til I get some music in there :P

Posted Image

#10 Spanone

Spanone

GMC Member

• 69 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:02 AM

Very good, hope to see this completed.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

Color blind? Well, whether you are or not, I think the main menu looks pretty awesome :D I like the negative color scheme you've got going on in this game, very cool theme.

I couldn't quite get the hang of the hook in the few levels I played. More of my own personal shortcoming than anything in the game... But how do the 'glass' obstacles work?? I think they're glass... they seem to disappear when you touch them with any kind of speed... sometimes disappear on their own without touching them after you have touched some at speed... I got stuck at the part where there is an over-hang and you have to swing up through these glass obstacles to get to the platform above...

I'll try it again, but I'm a little sleepy right now. Good work so far!
"All the meat, he thought, and all it wants.

'Wage,' she said, narrowing her eyes. 'He wants to see you with a hole in your face.'"

-Neuromancer

WIP: Chatsubo

#12 Canite

Canite

Canigget

• GMC Member
  • 1358 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

Color blind?

Why do you think the whole game is black and white? :P

But how do the 'glass' obstacles work??

Yeah, if you hit them with a certain speed, they will break. But they also disappear after a few seconds when you touch them. This was so that if you're stuck and can't get any speed, you just have to wait a few seconds.

You got pretty far (I think to level 8 out of the 10 I've done so far) so good job ;)

Very good, hope to see this completed.

Thanks! I'd like to complete it as well considering I've never really "finished" a game.

Posted Image

#13 1Koakuma1

1Koakuma1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

Love it <3

#14 GPro

GPro

Gun Powder Games

• GMC Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

WHAT KEY TO SELECT MENU OPTIONS?! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Gun Powder Games leader

Join our crew here!

Top Down A.I. Example | RPG Combat System | Level Up System | Shield Example

#15 Canite

Canite

Canigget

• GMC Member
  • 1358 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

Woah, calm down there bud ;)
Default key is 'Z', but you can change that in the options.

Posted Image

#16 GPro

GPro

Gun Powder Games

• GMC Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

Woah, calm down there bud ;)
Default key is 'Z', but you can change that in the options.

Sorry but when i saw how awesome the game is and i coudnt play it i just got annoyed xD
Gun Powder Games leader

Join our crew here!

#17 GPro

GPro

Gun Powder Games

• GMC Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

Posted Image
Gun Powder Games leader

Join our crew here!

#18 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

was gonna try the new update but
Links are down. :(

#19 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

Looks like a server side error, Jakyl11... come back later and try again as Host-a is usually pretty reliable.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#20 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:08 PM

yea thats the first time ive ever got that error 404 from them... It usually pops up and says file no longer exists instead.

#21 Canite

Canite

Canigget

• GMC Member
  • 1358 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:38 AM

Yeah, the link works for me, I don't know what to tell you :(
Try it again, could of just been bad luck.

Posted Image

#22 GPro

GPro

Gun Powder Games

• GMC Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

Posted Image

How does this happen?

Well, you hit a glass, then grab it with the hook, and then wait until it disappears.

PS. I don't know if it's a glitch/bug or if you left it as an 'easter egg'*

* The expression 'easter egg' stands for in-game joke

EDIT: I found another bug:

for object obj_hook:

Error in code at line 98:
other.swngspd -= other.swngrate/(other.cur_len/30)
^
at position 53: Division by 0.

I really have to idea how that happened, I just grapped one of those white squares and I just got this, hope it helps...

Edited by GPro, 26 June 2011 - 12:00 PM.

Gun Powder Games leader

Join our crew here!

#23 RZChaver

RZChaver

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

Not everyone can unpack .rar (a sad truth).

Ah yes, I should've realized that.. Who doesn't have Winrar! ;)

I don't have Winrar. So I use jZip instead. You're wrong, LOL. Anyway when you ask for suggestions or ideas, I'm the person! Also I will name the achievements or you can rename if you don't like them.
1: Overachiever, beat the creator's highest score. Unlocks The Vault Level
2: Quick Fall, grapple the ground. Unlocks Prisoner Costume
3: Sniper Rifle, shoot the grapple 100+ pixels away. Unlocks Sniper Rifle Hook
4: Hook up a storm: Shoot the grapple 50 times. Unlocks Lightning-shaped Hook
5: Yaaggago Laggorra Tarrohnoor: Type the secret primitive code. Unlocks Caveman Costume
RZChaver

#24 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

i give up. this game is too hard for me to master.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#25 Canite

Canite

Canigget

• GMC Member
  • 1358 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:41 AM

i give up. this game is too hard for me to master.

Haha, how ever did you find this! It is meant to be hard, my preferences ;)
I should really finish this sometime, all I need is to make more levels. Last update was march 18 last year! Woah!

Posted Image

#26 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

I wonder why I keep finding games that use similar ideas what I have thought of myself... :turned: Well, I guess I would still do a couple things differently.

Anyway, I'll stop blabbering and get to the game itself :smile: Overall, it's a nice game, and I think you've captured the fast speed and momentum preserving element of games like Sonic well.

*At some points the going gets even a bit too fast. For example, when you're spinning around a block with a long rope, you can possible achieve ridiculously high speeds, which makes the timing of the release difficult. You could probably consider putting a speed limit or thinking of something else to make the fast speed parts a bit easier.

*Add a hot key that allows you to restart instantly. It's annoying that at some points, you're certain to meet your eventual doom, but you just have to wait for the shadow to come and get you.

*You forgot to remove '1' hot key that jumps straight into some level (near 10, not sure?)

*The walking animation is cute :smile: