#1 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:23 AM

Duo Duell
an incredibly short boss-corridor shooter.

Posted Image Posted Image

DOWNLOAD LINK v1.0 competition entry (BOX) (2334kB)
DOWNLOAD LINK v1.3 (YYG) (2329kB)

Controls:
-Move with WASD or arrow keys
-Shoot with Z or J
-Hold shift to move slower

Supply your own music. I didn't want to bloat the size of something so small and I don't get along with midis. I recommend this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUOkwmq05is

Duo Duell was developed for the RDC (a biweekly 4-hour competition) that never was. The theme was 'duel', so me and Snail Productions figured we might as well make a duel out of it, seeing how we were the only two to show up. (There was a third entrant a bit later in.) It won by unanimous voting from a whooping two judges versus an astounding two competitors:

<Alti> okay I found an advisor ._.
<Alti> here are his remarks:
<Alti> "First one sucks"
<Alti> "Second one sucks"
<Alti> and then "Third one's okay"
<Alti> so I think we've found a winner

There you have it: Duo Duell is "Okay". Get it while it's hot!

Game update:
-There is now an ini-file generated upon the game's creation where you can enable and disable sound (press 5 in-game for this), an FPS counter (F), and the scanline effect (only available through the ini-file). You can also set the game's room_speed, though the variables in the game will be compensated to fit. Good for owners of 120Hz monitors and incredibly terrible computers alike!
-Enemy bullets now explode along with the boss, meaning you will no longer die right after defeating a boss.
-You can press buttons 1 to 4 to warp directly to that boss for fun and practice.
-File size decreased by 4kB somehow!

Edited by zeddidragon, 16 May 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#2 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

this is way too hard. i can't destroy the ships on the left and right sides of me. i hate this. the graphics were good.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#3 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

Ah, yes, the second form is a bit on the cheap side. However, Duo Duell is mostly a puzzle game and all the forms are quite easy when you know the trick to beating them.

The second form is defeated thusly:
Spoiler

Also, I've updated the game because why not. It'll enable you to warp directly to a boss for easier practice.

Thank you for trying my game, by the way. I appreciate your input.

Edited by zeddidragon, 03 April 2011 - 09:40 PM.

Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#4 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:35 AM

The heck, this was ridiculous. I see now by your last post here, that there is a 'trick' to beat each level.

Well, I beat the game without knowing that. :P You didn't disable f5-6, and for me, that's gonna be the only way I could beat this game.

Well, I beat the first 3 without needing to save, but the 4th one is a pain. You die, then have to start all the way at the beginning. :(

Edit: Managed to beat the 4th boss without saving(although I just 'warped' straight to that level)

Well the game isn't as ridiculous as I first thought! Now that I know it's more puzzle-ish, the game plays a lot better... I'm not trying to blast the heck out of him, I'm trying to figure out his attacks, which is pretty cool.
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#5 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

Whoa, saving works? Meh, I'll leave it in, why not. It'd be a bigger problem if the game had a scoring system.

Congrats on kinda-beating it! Here, have a star: *

#6 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

Just beat it without saving. :) Dang! :D

Btw, huge ship, tiny collision box. Seems a bit weird to have bullets clearly hitting the ship, but not getting hurt.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.

#7 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

Congratulations! You and Maerron are the unofficial GMC Shmups Aces! The hitbox is pretty huge by shmup standard. In Giga Wing your hitbox is about three pixels large. Here's a visual guide for those who're having trouble:

Edited by zeddidragon, 16 May 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#8 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

Hah, you make it look easy! I can't believe it only takes that long to beat the game. I think it took me 10 minutes of steady play, trying to master the patterns (and mostly calm my nerves!) I kept on jerking about the place after beating the 3rd boss, so the 4th one would get me with his first attack. :P
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids