182 replies to this topic

#31 amd42

amd42

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:33 AM

@Big J: Are you sure? I know for a fact I've seen people use that syntax in password obscuration codes:

Yeah, it works, I've used it too. And unless it's an interpreter bug, I don't see any reason to remove it - it's quicker than typing out "string_repeat", and it works.

Edit: It turns out you have to put the number first; I forgot about that because I haven't used that feature much and only learned about it through a friend. But it's not that big of a deal, I could care less if it's "fixed".

As for my bug, if an extension package has a DLL in it, the user must run GM as an administrator to install it due to permissions Windows sets on Program Files. It caused a ton of problems with my extension and forced me to make a separate DLL version of it.

Maybe you could fix this by copying to %appdata% or a similar user-owned directory.

Edited by amd42, 08 March 2011 - 04:58 AM.

#32 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:43 AM

And I distinctly remember it working...

Aaand I tried it now, and it doesn't work. (Same error as Big J) Edit: Really amd? I have to try it again...

I hope I don't sound rude, but Mike already has a ton of 'bug' reports already. He's looking for immediate, actual bugs that users run into, and have issues with... vague reports such as this, with the two examples you gave clearly not tested aren't helping anyone, and avoiding these sorts of reports is probably why he started this topic.

(Regardless, I'd hardly call this a bug... please don't think of this topic as a wish-list.)

We all want the bugs to get fixed, the best way to help is by spending as much time being as clear as possible about the bugs, and what causes them. Any time saved for Mike means more bugs fixed faster for us.

I don't mean to sound angry at all. I have lots of wishes, too, but this isn't the place to put them. :)

Edited by Desert Dog, 08 March 2011 - 04:43 AM.

#33 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 4371 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:50 AM

Not only is it unnecessary, but I've never seen such syntax for that purpose anywhere else, so allowing it encourages bad habits.

You can most certainly use that syntax in Python. But I will have to stick to my policy about "undocumented" features. Either put it in the manual or get rid of it.

Also, this syntax is not commutative. The number has to come first. This is an example from my tests:
//Error: Wrong arguments to *
show_message("*" * 3);
//OK: ***
show_message(3 * "*");

Had a look a the surface bug... I think its a remnant from GM7, when the surface is grabbed it checks to see if ALL alpha is 0, if it is... it makes it 255. This helps newbies who don't know much about alpha, and as it's historical can't be changed...

This reflects a significant issue in GM, not a physical bug but a conceptual one: designing advanced features with too much focus on accessibility to novice users who don't know what they're doing, so much as to decrease the usability of the advanced features as a whole.

Surface handling is not novice territory, there no need to make it too accessible as to cripple it with "intuitive" side effects.

Now, back on topic, my biggest issue with GM so far is its historic problem with NVidia video cards. My newest laptop has an NVidia card and several games from YoYo that use surfaces and/or transparent sprites experience serious graphics problems (e.g. this game produces garbled HUDs). I played the same games using an older machine with an ATI card and everything was fine. NVidia video cards are quite common, and it would be great to have a fix or at least a known work-around setting that can be provided to players/developers who use these cards.

GameGeisha

Edit: Grammatical glitches.

Edited by GameGeisha, 08 March 2011 - 04:55 AM.

#34 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1606 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

Other bug I saw:
When you "search" for an empty string (in the script editor) gamemaker gives an access violation.

I wasn't able to replicate this bug right now, but I just want to add that I have indeed had Game Maker crash in the past before due to this bug. It happened when I did a search/replace, and was completely unexpected so I lost a good chunk of work, however it was only scrap work for a random code test so nothing important was lost. Since then, I've been a little hesitant to use search/replace so a fix here would be much appreciated :)

#35 BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

There's a big bug in GM's 3D rendering of transparant triangles.
I made a small example: http://updo.nl/file/8a66877a.gmk
Rotate the camera with the arrow keys and zoom with the scroll weel.
There are three triangles:
-a big one, this is the furthest one, and it is drawn first.
-a small one, this one is drawn 2nd, and it is transparant(alpha = .2).
-a medium one, this one is drawn last, and it is NOT transparant.

Now WHY do I see the big triangle through the small one, while the medium triangle is between them?
If I would first draw the big triangle, then the medium triangle, then the small triangle, everything would work.
But if you draw something transparant, and after that, draw something else behind it, it is not being rendered.

I'm profiting of this in my current game, however, I prefer to see it fixed.

#36 Razon

Razon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:52 AM

For the replace and many other minor IDE glitches or errors, I had reported what they were and how to reproduce them in this bug report http://bugs.yoyogame...view.php?id=544.

As for the glitch that I want fixed most, it relates to the wrong sprite frame being drawn. There's more than 2 different glitches that can cause this to happen, the first always occurs under common circumstances, and the other only occurs when there's high precision variables involved. Will see about putting some info together for it again, lost all the examples and discussion from my initial report on the matter when they shut the GM8 beta tracker down awhile back- in which it was said that it wasn't going to be fixed for that release.

Edited by Razon, 08 March 2011 - 07:55 AM.

#37 desolatorXT

desolatorXT

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:52 AM

[CUT - No feature requests]

Edited by Mike.Dailly, 08 March 2011 - 08:02 AM.

#38 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1921 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

distance_to_point(x,y) Returns the distance of the bounding box of the current instance to (x,y). (If the instance does not have a sprite or mask, the result of the function is undefined.)
distance_to_object(obj) Returns the distance of the instance to the nearest instance of object obj. (If the instance or object does not have a sprite or mask, the result of the function is undefined.)

This is from the documentation. I call this a bug, though it is a documented bug. The first function should theoretically not need a sprite in any case, unless the documentation is wrong, because it supposedly references the bounding box, and an x/y coordinate. The second should be able to use the actual x/y of the objects, and in fact, should really be that way, since the object center is "where" things are. I'm not going to request extra functions for "sprite-to-sprite" distances since this is the wrong section for that, but generic distance functions such as these seem to me they shouldn't depend on a "graphic", rather actual positions, but maybe that is just me.

• Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:25 AM

@BlueMoonProductions - 3D rendering bug.

This is not a bug. This is simply how graphics cards work. To get correct rendering you have to render all transparent polys after opaque ones. You then will also have to SORT them. Normal practice is like this...

ZBuffer Read/Write ON.
Render Opaque polys
ZBuffer Write OFF.
Sort Alpha Polys
Render Alpha Polys.
ZBuffer Write ON.

What your seeing is the FRONT poly being rendered with FULL alpha first, but as it's filling in the ZBuffer, polys rendered AFTER it (i.e. the middle one) fail the ZTest, so don't draw. This is a common mistake in graphics rendering.

While the GMK->GM8 is a feature request, I've not cut it because I wanted to say we agree, and we will be changing it. But please. NO feature requests here. We already have LOTS of things to do, and the "new" feature list is actually quite nice for a point release. But we're "full up" on features now. So I'm only after some annoying/simple bugs that folk would like fixed now, and I'll do what I can.

draw_text. Yep. Text drawing SUCKS. I'm not sure we can change this as it's a bigger issue. We really want to rewrite the whole font stuff though, because it's awful.

For other bugs - If you don't give full details of them, and preferably a sample, then they won't get fixed. I'm not going to be running around trying to "find" obscure bugs as I simply don't have the time for that. Sorry.

str = "string value" * N; Not a bug. Could be done better... but hardly pissing anyone off... Only "bad" bugs, one bugs that really stop progress please, or affect usability.

extension package - I've already fix this for extensions (the new Delhi requires is), but if you have a sample extension which has a DLL, then please post it and I'll see what I can do. Is this on Vista or something? If it's just a normal extension, then this is already fixed.

Rendering issues on graphics card. Most likely a driver issue. If it works on one.many NVidia cards and not another, it's a driver bug. Which card is it?

search/replace - I have fixed an issue with REPLACING strings with a null string. It might have been this that was bugged. http://bugs.yoyogame...view.php?id=255

@Razon: Yes, some of these have been fixed already, and the TABing feature has also been added (we wanted that too!). If I get time, I'll fix more of these...

Lastly... in terms of the ALPHA surface bug. I will have to state that all I've done is make sure you get the alpha back UNCHANGED. This means the case shown (Where all alpha was 0) is fixed. However, there may well be rendering considerations for you to MAKE the correct alpha in the first place. This isn't a Game Maker issue but a rendering one.

#40 DirtyUnicorn

DirtyUnicorn

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

The "Execute Code" starts with its boundarys of the screen.
So when i write code, i cant see the errors coming up, and writing lots of lines it goes off screen. Really annoying. Its probably an easy fix, its really just annoying having to re-size every time i start a new .gmk, and get coding.

#41 Fede-lasse

Fede-lasse

AI Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2009 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

It often happens that when I open a script, the script window fills so much area that I constantly have to resize it. Make the script window smaller by standard.

#42 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

distance_to_point(x,y) Returns the distance of the bounding box of the current instance to (x,y). (If the instance does not have a sprite or mask, the result of the function is undefined.)
distance_to_object(obj) Returns the distance of the instance to the nearest instance of object obj. (If the instance or object does not have a sprite or mask, the result of the function is undefined.)

This is from the documentation. I call this a bug, though it is a documented bug. The first function should theoretically not need a sprite in any case, unless the documentation is wrong, because it supposedly references the bounding box, and an x/y coordinate. The second should be able to use the actual x/y of the objects, and in fact, should really be that way, since the object center is "where" things are. I'm not going to request extra functions for "sprite-to-sprite" distances since this is the wrong section for that, but generic distance functions such as these seem to me they shouldn't depend on a "graphic", rather actual positions, but maybe that is just me.

If you want to know the distance between two actual points (x,y) to (x2,y2) then just use pure math.
Those functions are for when you need to know the distance between each objects bounding_box/collision mask which is a much more technical(and difficult!) thing to do.

Edit: @paul23 below: :P

Edited by Desert Dog, 08 March 2011 - 09:47 AM.

#43 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3854 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

If you want to know the distance between two actual points (x,y) to (x2,y2) then just use pure math.
Those functions are for when you need to know the distance between each objects bounding_box/collision mask which is a much more technical(and difficult!) thing to do.

or "point_distance(x1, y1, x2, y2)" function :P.

#44 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

It was hard to choose one, since I have two... but you can always see second one from mantis and it's easy to bypass it for now, so I selected this one:

http://bugs.yoyogame...view.php?id=284

Web splash window can totally freeze GM after it was closed by javascript and you open it again.

#45 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16026 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

file_text_read_real

with file data

1 0 2 0 3 0 4 0 5 6 0

currently 0s are skipped

edit
If someone else can add the dll refusing to load intermitently bug... 'cause I used my main gripe

draw_text. Yep. Text drawing SUCKS. I'm not sure we can change this as it's a bigger issue. We really want to rewrite the whole font stuff though, because it's awful.

If you can figure out a way to disable Clear Type before generating the font when the game starts (default font) or when you make the exe (other fonts), that would resolve a whole lot of disgusting artefact

Edited by icuurd12b42, 08 March 2011 - 11:06 AM.

#46 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Yeah I mentioned file_text_read_real() skipping zeros and not going to next line on page 1 and Mike mentioned that it's fixed already.

Edited by Big J, 08 March 2011 - 11:04 AM.

#47 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16026 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

@BlueMoonProductions - 3D rendering bug.

This is not a bug. This is simply how graphics cards work. To get correct rendering you have to render all transparent polys after opaque ones. You then will also have to SORT them. Normal practice is like this...

#48 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

We really want to rewrite the whole font stuff though, because it's awful.

Indeed it is awful. I have to have a duplicate font resource just for bold text.

#49 Xardov

Xardov

Game Developer

• GMC Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

Yeah not sure if this is a bug or not, but it would be nice if YYG fixed objects with too much speed going through walls and stuff like that.

#50 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4039 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:21 PM

Yeah not sure if this is a bug or not, but it would be nice if YYG fixed objects with too much speed going through walls and stuff like that.

Firstly, YYG aren't the ones behind GM.
Secondly, that's not a bug. If you increase the x/y value by too much, chances are the object will "jump over" any walls there might be (especially if they are thin). There's nothing the GM developers can do about this.

You will have to check for collisions yourself using something like this:
if (collision_line(xprevious, yprevious, x, y, obj_wall, 0, 1))
{
    x = xprevious;
    y = yprevious;
}

Edited by Davve, 08 March 2011 - 12:23 PM.

#51 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

Secondly, that's not a bug. If you increase the x/y value by too much, chances are the object will "jump over" any walls there might be (especially if they are thin). There's nothing the GM developers can do about this.

If you change the coordinates, there would always be a chance of missing a collision. If the speed of an object is high, GM should properly handle the collisions. It could be considered unexpected behavior.

Davve, YYG is behind GM. Just not versions 8 and under.

#52 HaRRiKiRi

HaRRiKiRi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1364 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

The biggest bug that I have problems with is font drawing in Windows7. You said that it needs a total rewrite, but maybe you could try to fix this... at least temporarily.

More info here:
http://gmc.yoyogames...0
https://yoyogames.mo...ets/show/897242

#53 Primoz128

Primoz128

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

Well idk if this is bug but my particles like laser beam takes the properties of small explosion particle and each has different part system name and all...
(Fix the sloweness of gmaker if you can that would be the best...)

#54 Primoz128

Primoz128

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

The biggest bug that I have problems with is font drawing in Windows7. You said that it needs a total rewrite, but maybe you could try to fix this... at least temporarily.

More info here:
http://gmc.yoyogames...0
https://yoyogames.mo...ets/show/897242

I have no drawing bugs with win 7 and i use win 7 and xp.

#55 Xardov

Xardov

Game Developer

• GMC Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Firstly, YYG aren't the ones behind GM.

You will have to check for collisions yourself using something like this:
if (collision_line(xprevious, yprevious, x, y, obj_wall, 0, 1))
{
    x = xprevious;
    y = yprevious;
}

Or instead you could just limit the speed. :D But... it might be confusing to beginners, that's why i'd like to see it fixed.

#56 HaRRiKiRi

HaRRiKiRi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1364 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

I have no drawing bugs with win 7 and i use win 7 and xp.

I doubt this is the place for that discussion as this is for reporting biggest bugs. I posted two links and one is to a topic. You can post there. There is also a link to a zip with GMK and a font file. Everyone who has tried it have reported a problem.

Edited by HaRRiKiRi, 08 March 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#57 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

Edited by makerofthegames, 09 March 2011 - 01:51 AM.

#58 skullnbones

skullnbones

Light Bright

• 104 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

extension package - I've already fix this for extensions (the new Delhi requires is), but if you have a sample extension which has a DLL, then please post it and I'll see what I can do. Is this on Vista or something? If it's just a normal extension, then this is already fixed.

here is an extension with a dll which shows the bug: (extension works but reports an install error. No error on .exe using it though)

bzLight

Using win7
compiled the dll with vc6

have made many other extensions, but only this one had the problem.
edit: I'm pretty sure that this is also the only 'wrapper only' extension I have made, I usually had a few buttons in there.

Edited by skullnbones, 08 March 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#59 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3535 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

You can't minimize the program when an "Execute code" window is open, trough, you can do it with a script.. that alwas bugged me out.

#60 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

You can't minimize the program when an "Execute code" window is open, trough, you can do it with a script.. that alwas bugged me out.

Yeah, and when the sprite editor is up (which is much more annoying in my opinion).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users