182 replies to this topic

#51 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

Yeah not sure if this is a bug or not, but it would be nice if YYG fixed objects with too much speed going through walls and stuff like that.

Secondly, that's not a bug. If you increase the x/y value by too much, chances are the object will "jump over" any walls there might be (especially if they are thin). There's nothing the GM developers can do about this.

If you change the coordinates, there would always be a chance of missing a collision. If the speed of an object is high, GM should properly handle the collisions. It could be considered unexpected behavior.

Davve, YYG is behind GM. Just not versions 8 and under.

#52 HaRRiKiRi

HaRRiKiRi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1364 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

The biggest bug that I have problems with is font drawing in Windows7. You said that it needs a total rewrite, but maybe you could try to fix this... at least temporarily.

More info here:
http://gmc.yoyogames...0
https://yoyogames.mo...ets/show/897242

#53 Primoz128

Primoz128

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

Well idk if this is bug but my particles like laser beam takes the properties of small explosion particle and each has different part system name and all...
(Fix the sloweness of gmaker if you can that would be the best...)

#54 Primoz128

Primoz128

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

The biggest bug that I have problems with is font drawing in Windows7. You said that it needs a total rewrite, but maybe you could try to fix this... at least temporarily.

More info here:
http://gmc.yoyogames...0
https://yoyogames.mo...ets/show/897242

I have no drawing bugs with win 7 and i use win 7 and xp.

#55 Xardov

Xardov

Game Developer

• GMC Member
  • 292 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Yeah not sure if this is a bug or not, but it would be nice if YYG fixed objects with too much speed going through walls and stuff like that.

Firstly, YYG aren't the ones behind GM.
Secondly, that's not a bug. If you increase the x/y value by too much, chances are the object will "jump over" any walls there might be (especially if they are thin). There's nothing the GM developers can do about this.

You will have to check for collisions yourself using something like this:
if (collision_line(xprevious, yprevious, x, y, obj_wall, 0, 1))
{
    x = xprevious;
    y = yprevious;
}

Or instead you could just limit the speed. :D But... it might be confusing to beginners, that's why i'd like to see it fixed.

#56 HaRRiKiRi

HaRRiKiRi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1364 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

I have no drawing bugs with win 7 and i use win 7 and xp.

I doubt this is the place for that discussion as this is for reporting biggest bugs. I posted two links and one is to a topic. You can post there. There is also a link to a zip with GMK and a font file. Everyone who has tried it have reported a problem.

Edited by HaRRiKiRi, 08 March 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#57 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Not speedchuck

• GMC Member
  • 7544 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

[CUT - No feature requests]

Edited by makerofthegames, 09 March 2011 - 01:51 AM.

Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?131124npmp3.png Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?1311

Mirrors Avatar by Stubbjax1337. 3000. 3999. 4444. Karoshi 2.0 custom levels. religious belief time: christian
http://ask.fm/AnUntitledAbridger

#58 skullnbones

skullnbones

Light Bright

• 104 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

extension package - I've already fix this for extensions (the new Delhi requires is), but if you have a sample extension which has a DLL, then please post it and I'll see what I can do. Is this on Vista or something? If it's just a normal extension, then this is already fixed.

here is an extension with a dll which shows the bug: (extension works but reports an install error. No error on .exe using it though)

bzLight

Using win7
compiled the dll with vc6

have made many other extensions, but only this one had the problem.
edit: I'm pretty sure that this is also the only 'wrapper only' extension I have made, I usually had a few buttons in there.

Edited by skullnbones, 08 March 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#59 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3554 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

You can't minimize the program when an "Execute code" window is open, trough, you can do it with a script.. that alwas bugged me out.

#60 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

You can't minimize the program when an "Execute code" window is open, trough, you can do it with a script.. that alwas bugged me out.

Yeah, and when the sprite editor is up (which is much more annoying in my opinion).
String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#61 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 580 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Those are not bugs, that's how windows forms works. Script and Object window are MDI ones, Sprite editor & Execute code are displayed as modal windows. It's feature request.
Bug means that when you click something, it's not working, working wrong way, hangs up, gives error messages, became unaccessible etc.

Edited by gnysek, 08 March 2011 - 08:08 PM.

Previously game developer at YoYoGames, Currently PHP developer in DB-Team
Programming and working with: GML/C#/PHP/JS/MySql/CSS/HTML

Follow 
@GameMakerUpdate to get info about latest versions of GM when they are released: https://twitter.com/GameMakerUpdate

(it's managed by bot, not by human, remember)

#62 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16900 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

Right, so since my file_text_read_real was already posted. I'll put in the intermitent dll proplem bug...

Intermitent "Error Defining an External Function" problem

It's kindof difficult to duplicate since this dll problem is intermitent and is NOT related to people compiling dll and forgeting to include, like for MS compiled dlls, the redist package; problem which is not intermitent; the dll in that case never works on target PCs without the redist...

The bug is this,

If you run a project that uses a dll, like a sound engine, and you have a bug in your code, and GM pops up the error dialog stating there was an error in the code, like "Unknown variable XXX". Error to which most people respond to by clicking the abort button.

Subsequent reruns may or may not cause the intermitent problem to start occuring, but it may after that at anytime during the day. Even closing the project and loading another project that uses yet another dll, or a GM compiled exe using another dll made by another person, you start to get the error left and right, until you reboot the PC.

external_define performs the LoadLibrary internally before getting the proc address of the actual function (I assume, since that is the way in WinAPI for run time library loading)

external_free("DllName.dll") frees the library. I would assume somewhere in the gm code, a map of sort is retained to map the filename to a dll instance because LoadeLibrary return a HINST which you must pass to FreeLibrary...

I would suggest you loop through the map when the game is aborted and call FreeLibrary.

A related bug is the free_library which takes the dll file name as argument. If the dll was loaded from a sub folder "TheDllFolder\DllName.dll" then the free_library("DllName.dll") or free_library("TheDllFolder\DllName.dll") will fail, leaving the dll in memory, potentialy leading to the same intermitent dll loading problem at subsequent runs.

This problem is a plague on people like me who make dlls to extend GM's capabilities

Edited by icuurd12b42, 08 March 2011 - 08:48 PM.

#63 Aidiakapi

Aidiakapi

GMC Member

• 200 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

[CUT - No feature requests]

EDIT:
... there was no feature request in it.

Edit Edit:
What you listed wasn't a bug, so the changes requested was a feature request :)

Edit Edit Edit:
Then you didn't read properly what I wrote.

Edited by Aidiakapi, 10 March 2011 - 02:27 PM.

Wuka World 2
The next generation MMORPG, sequel to the successful Wuka World 1, built up from scratch!
We use Game Maker 8.1 for the client, and C++ for the server.

Inspire, help, influence, and enjoy with us at: www.nevereal.net!

8-11-2011: First time I checked GMC in 6 months xD

Please click the arrow, if I helped you :)

#64 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1251 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

Hmm the other problems I have have been named so I will post this one:

splash_set_position does not work. It ignores the values you give it and pops up wherever it feels like it, in random places all over the screen... never even the same place twice.

HTML5 INI Saving Example | HTML5/GMS Saving/Loading/User Login with PHP/MySQL/Async | GameMaker Examples/Tutorials
Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed.

#65 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4065 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

show_message, show_menu, get_string etc. sets keyboard_string to "", and leaving the game window also set it to "". This can however be solved by creating your own variable (like in my signature).

Edited by Davve, 08 March 2011 - 06:22 PM.

1Amdi.png Swxmo.png RDHEw.png 17Ezd.png

#66 Primoz128

Primoz128

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Oh and i am curious why the hell sometimes when making a trigger event using it or not or deleting it sometimes shows some nasty errors without any particular reason...

#67 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

Too many bugs, not enough +1s available! Q_Q

#68 Tsn

Tsn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

With some sound formats playing the sound will cause all other sounds to stop. I think only wav works correctly but i wouldn't want to use that because it's too big, so at the moment all my games have no sound.

#69 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

@Tsn: It's not a bug. GM's sound system is just pretty limited, and IIRC, I believe a revamp is being considered for GM8.1 (am I right there?).

-IMP ;) :)

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#70 Viloen

Viloen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

Viewport resizing is buggy. For example, if a programmer sets the room's viewsize to 320x240 and the viewport to 640x480, the game should render cleanly at double size without need of adjusting the resolution. However artifacts appear when this is done. some pixels appear thinner or thicker than others.

Screenshot
Posted Image

I understand that there are workarounds available, but consider the following issues woth the workarounds.

Workarounds
1. Changing the resolution - Goes against principle that the game should be as noninvasive to system settings as possible.

2. Render to a surface then drawing that surface to the screen. - Uses an unnecessary drawing step to render the screen to the surface. [Performance]

3. Expanding resources to 2, 3, or 4x;s their normal size. [Larger game size]

flya.png

#71 LSnK

LSnK

NaN

• GMC Member
  • 1188 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

display_set_size() and display_set_all() are broken. At least three problems:

They change the resolution but don't set the flag which tells Windows it's a temporary change. So when some dufus sets their game to 320x240 on my 1920x1200 monitor, my desktop icons get stuffed into a tiny rectangle along with all my windows. So annoying.

They don't obey Windows' alt-tab rules. When a fullscreen program loses focus the desktop resolution should be reset to normal.

If the game crashes the change is permanent. If the game runs at some miniscule resolution you can't even change the resolution back because the relevant areas of the display dialogue will be outside the screen.

#72 LSnK

LSnK

NaN

• GMC Member
  • 1188 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

Scaling

In a clever attempt to post a second problem, I'll restate this one.

The reason people use viewport/surface/resolution tricks is because the window scaler uses linear filtering. The ideal solution would be to make filtering optional. Maybe even roll it into the "Use interpolation between pixels" global game option.

#73 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 24125 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

I write a lot of AI codes in my games and so use mp_grids a lot... unfortunately this is bugged too!

mp_grids: cannot clear cells where y > width

The workaround is to make the mp_grid as least as wide as it is highm or to use mp_grid_clear_rectangle. Here´s the topic where I personally discovered this...

lz6lxdC.pngd7ZQQ3F.gifFlvJzyf.png

40799.png

#74 JAk HAk

JAk HAk

sepius fidelis

• 713 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:56 AM

Midi files have issues with looping. Sometimes the loop is delayed by several seconds, and other times they just don't loop at all.

Posted Image

#75 ZeroReaper

ZeroReaper

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:16 AM

When it says

"An error occurred installing the extension package" when your trying to install an extension, this only happens with some extensions.

I think this is a security problem, (and the solution would be to run as admin) but when I run as admin, my Game Maker Pro changes back into lite.

#76 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1534 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:44 AM

@Doco: not sure if this is really a solution, but you can check the result of the file_open commands: if they're negative gm couldn't open them.

@paul23
Wow, the manual needs an update, I've been using GM for 7 years and I didn't know that...

and

But I will have to stick to my policy about "undocumented" features. Either put it in the manual or get rid of it.

I see both the above issues as being related to my reported "bug/gripe" that the manual needs some heavy editing in some places. I thought the negative return on file_* was documented somewhere, (and originally cited the above quotes to help out and show where the manual says it,) but I just scoured sections like What's New, Files, and other places (including using the search) and came up empty-handed. On these kinds of "undocumented features," I'm totally with GameGeisha's policy of document-or-unfeature.

This reflects a significant issue in GM, not a physical bug but a conceptual one: designing advanced features with too much focus on accessibility to novice users who don't know what they're doing, so much as to decrease the usability of the advanced features as a whole.

Surface handling is not novice territory, there no need to make it too accessible as to cripple it with "intuitive" side effects.

I'm inclined to agree here, too, that on already advanced features, it's certainly nice to have a novice easy way to go about it (like the cookie-cutter "effect" particle functions), but unexpected results shouldn't be a conscious decision.

However, I perfectly understand making the 0,1,2 quick fix for a .1 minor version. In the future, though, in connection to what GG opined, it'd be nice if this were better fixed in the next major version (9) if feasible (probably leaving the 2 option as a duplicate for 0 for backwards compatiblity--but marked as deprecated and removed in the next major version (10)).

Or instead you could just limit the speed. :D But... it might be confusing to beginners, that's why i'd like to see it fixed.

1. YYG are working on it now--pore over this forum and read Mike Dailly's posts.

2. Confusing to beginners? One of the very first official tutorials spells this out very plainly. It's not a GM bug, it's a programmer bug. One of the best programmed games ever (EarthBound for the Super NES, 1995,) suffered from this bug--although it pretty much requires tool assistance to actually exploit it (using the walk-speed-increasing Skip Sandwich to "walk over" a rare wall due to simply being too fast to collide with the small wall (big enough to stop normal human players heheh)).

And lastly, I remembered a vicious bug last night, but alas, I've already posted a realistic gripe. $:^ |

I hope this scattered reply helps (someone somehow),

[P.S. I have no idea why the forum is glitching that extra quote-box-text thing at the end of my post there. Hm.]

Edited by ParodyKnaveBob, 09 March 2011 - 02:58 AM.

theUndiscovered ~ Brandon W. Horton ~ ParodyKnaveBob ~ $:^ J

#77 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:52 AM

Confusing to beginners? One of the very first official tutorials spells this out very plainly. It's not a GM bug, it's a programmer bug. One of the best programmed games ever (EarthBound for the Super NES, 1995,) suffered from this bug--although it pretty much requires tool assistance to actually exploit it (using the walk-speed-increasing Skip Sandwich to "walk over" a rare wall due to simply being too fast to collide with the small wall (big enough to stop normal human players heheh)).

YYG are working on it now--go through this forum and read Mike Dailly's posts.

And lastly, I remembered a vicious bug last night, but alas, I've already posted one. $:^ |

I hope this scattered reply helps (someone somehow),

How on earth did you manage to screw that quote-signature thing up?!

#78 broadsword

broadsword

GMC Member

• 345 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:14 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but certain entry boxes will auto-populate with a 1 if you delete the value with the backspace key (for example the "Resize Canvas" and "Stretch" functions in the sprite editor). This is EXTREMELY annoying. It should behave like other entry boxes and simply throw and error or auto-populate with a valid value AFTER the user tries to submit.

This may qualify as an enhancement request, I apologize if so.

#79 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

Viloen brought up one that a lot of "regular" users have complained about again & again over the years (anyone who goes for a "low res/retro look") - I too would love to see that "resize/screen scaling" problem fixed.

Only "bug" I would really *really* like to have fixed is the screentearing/syncing problem.
(It's probably too major to deal with, but if there is any possible solution to this without a complete rewrite to the rendering, it'd be fantastic).

Edited by dadio, 09 March 2011 - 09:03 AM.

261p5sp.jpg

#80 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4569 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

@skullnbones: Thanks for that, I'll take a look.

Yes, the modal nature of the editors is annoying, and when I get time I'll look into it, but for now I'm worried about knock on effects of just making it "non-modal".

Sound formats. Yeah, probably only WAV will be played normally, other wise it'll use the media player and you can only play one of these sounds at a time. Sound will be rewritten for a later version, but too big a job just now.

Resolutions, tearing etc. This is all caused by the way Game Maker handles full screen mode. The issue is that it doesn't actually do fullscreen mode. It simply scales the window into a large window, this means when changing res its changing windows desktop res and not a directx screen mode. This isn't nice because it means its not actually going into "exclusive" mode. This causes all kinds of issues from tearing to problems if the game exits badly. The next version will change the DirectX model, but its a massive job, so dont expect it in any point release.

mp_grids: Have been fixed. Both Clear and Add had typeos.

#81 sabriath

sabriath

• GMC Member
  • 3197 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

Here's a bug that I came across the other week, forgot all about it. Sorry that I've already posted (but since my post already had been mentioned, I figured I get another shot :) )

switch(10)
{
    case 5:
        break;
    default:
        show_message("this shouldn't be seen");
        break;
    case 10:
        break;
}

That fails the test. "default" is suppose to be run ONLY if all the cases (no matter where they are) do not pass. GM seems to run the "default" as soon as it reaches it, which is wrong.

Proper bytecode replacement (technical draft for pseudo-interpretive language):
Spoiler

Yeah, this one is actually fixed in the C++ runner, but not in the Delphi one. It's probably too much of a mess in the delphi one to fix this kind of thing. It is an issue for us as well though, since we have to replicate bugs sometimes. Grrr.

I wouldn't expect this to be fixed until a new version.... :(

No problem, thanks for the quick reply! :) and keep up the good work!

Edited by sabriath, 09 March 2011 - 10:26 AM.

Tutorials of Interest:
* Multiplayer: mine or True Valhalla's

Projects:
* Net39
* My 39dll scripts
* My 39dll lib
* Multiplayer Engine
* Artificial Chemistry

Posted Image

#82 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4569 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

Yeah, this one is actually fixed in the C++ runner, but not in the Delphi one. It's probably too much of a mess in the delphi one to fix this kind of thing. It is an issue for us as well though, since we have to replicate bugs sometimes. Grrr.

I wouldn't expect this to be fixed until a new version.... :(

#83 Rani_sputnik

Rani_sputnik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

Wow this is a nasty long bug list :/ I haven't actually had trouble with any of these... aside from the UI stuff and bad error returns. The only thing I can think of (That hasn't been said already) are splash screens. The web ones are just nasty, they seem to be quite unstable, and I seem to remember the image ones don't react well when the splash screen isn't the same size as the room window ie. they scale horribly. But I imagine they aren't so high on the priority list and will probably be reworked into something fantastic with time anyway.

Just as an aside, these topics are awesome Mike, it's great to see Yoyo taking such an active part in the community and such :)
Rani.

EDIT: Does bad splash screen scaling even count as a bug? Lol sorry for the pathetic input, just wanted to have my 2 cents heard haha

Edited by Rani_sputnik, 09 March 2011 - 10:55 AM.

My games - Boy Goes to Space, Proleague (Facebook & Kongregate), Making WayJam Tart (GMCJam#14) and Seal Fighter

Currently working on FloxGM - All-in-one backend for leaderboards, scores, cross device saves and analytics

Check out my website: ryanloader.me, or follow me: twitter.com/RaniSputnik

#84 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

Wouldn't exclusive graphics mode in fullscreen possibly be a performance boost? From what I've heard, rendering in window mode is slower than rendering in fullscreen exclusive graphics mode. I know of a guy (Ken Miller) who is patching an old PC game with legacy code in it (I think he said it has a software renderer written in either ASM or C. The game also does hardware rendering) and that was the case, fullscreen indeed performed better than Window mode. :)

Edited by Big J, 09 March 2011 - 11:08 AM.

Read this before contacting me with a mentor request. This text file is subject to amendments at any time, without notice.

Get your GM 8.1 Anti-Aliasing here!
2712265.png

#85 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

Perhaps it's not 100% a bug, but it's pretty close if you compare gm8 to the previous GM releases.
There are some problems I found with the code editor. For example, pressing Control + F will no longer open the search engine for the script/code I have opened, instead, it will search for resources. This slows down the workflow for me a lot, I'm sure it would bug others, too.

There are some other small glitches with the new code editor that I probably don't need to talk about in detail, but perhaps an option to use the old editor would be extremely useful ( I know this isn't for suggestions, but it shouldn't be hard at all to do. ).

Edited by EanFox, 09 March 2011 - 05:17 PM.

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason.
Science will win because it works." -Stephen Hawking

#86 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2668 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

The biggest bug I haven't yet seen in this topic is that a certain subset of GM error messages is not in the specific format displaying line and position of the error. I have reported it through the bug report system, and I'm now posting it here for extra attentions. http://bugs.yoyogame...view.php?id=376

A normal error looks like this:

for object object0:

In script script0:
Error in code at line 1:
   a += 1
  ^
at position 1: Unknown variable a
However, some errors look like this:
for object object0:

Cannot apply sqrt to negative number.
Notice that the
In script [scriptname]:
Error in code at line [number]:
   [code line]
       ^
at position 1:[number]
is missing. This can result in debugging nightmare in complicated situations (with lots of code including scripts executed in the given event action). Fixing this one thing would make debugging games a whole lot easier in case such an error pops up.

The shortened error message seems to occur so far for a specific subset of errors, including the following so far:

• Error opening file for writing.
  • Trying to draw non-existing sprite.
  • Trying to merge from non-existing sprite.
  • Trying to get texture from non-existing sprite.
  • Error opening binary file.
  • Trying to close unexisting text file.
  • Cannot apply sqrt to negative number.
  • Error in function arcsin().
  • Trying to execute non-existing script.
Also note that this exact same subset of errors has weird behavior when they occur in debug expressions, see here: http://bugs.yoyogame...view.php?id=468 I suspect there's something fishy with the error handling mechanism.

promo_briquidmini_500x150.png

#87 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1534 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Resolutions, tearing etc. This is all caused by the way Game Maker handles full screen mode. The issue is that it doesn't actually do fullscreen mode. It simply scales the window into a large window, this means when changing res its changing windows desktop res and not a directx screen mode. This isn't nice because it means its not actually going into "exclusive" mode. This causes all kinds of issues from tearing to problems if the game exits badly. The next version will change the DirectX model, but its a massive job, so dont expect it in any point release.

Good job on the stuff in that post I didn't quote--things fixed and realistic reasons for holding off fixing some things--but thank you for explaining this here which I did quote! I've wondered terribly why my slightly-interactive screensaver I built wouldn't hide any "stay on top" windows (and had other similar unexpected behavior). I've only given it an extremely limited release (and basically stopped working on it) due to its faulty fullscreen-ness. Thank you very much for the info! $:^ ]

Perhaps it's not 100% a bug, but it's pretty close if you compare gm8 to the previous GM releases.
There are some problems I found with the code editor. For example, pressing Control + F will no longer open the search engine for the script/code I have opened, instead, it will search for resources. This slows down the workflow for me a lot, I'm sure it would bug others, too.

I agree with the first part of EanFox's post (the part here I've quoted) that hitting Ctrl+F and not getting the code search is so counter-intuitive that it feels like a bug. Same with hitting the code search button and the focus not immediately jumping into the search field. (Hit Ctrl+F, cancel wrong window, hit search button, start typing search-text in code-editor, repeat Ctrl+Z until text is gone, click into search field, start typing. ~exhale~ Highly counter-intuitive and work-flow-stuttering.) That's why I +1 EanFox's post. (Otherwise, with his post, I enjoy the new code editor over the old just fine and have no special want for you to include the old editor as an option. ~shrug~)

Regards!

Edited by ParodyKnaveBob, 09 March 2011 - 05:47 PM.

theUndiscovered ~ Brandon W. Horton ~ ParodyKnaveBob ~ $:^ J

#88 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16900 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

• Trying to draw non-existing sprite.
  • Trying to merge from non-existing sprite.
  • Trying to get texture from non-existing sprite.
  • Trying to close unexisting text file.
  • Cannot apply sqrt to negative number.
  • Error in function arcsin().
  • Trying to execute non-existing script.
Also note that this exact same subset of errors has weird behavior when they occur in debug expressions, see here: http://bugs.yoyogame...view.php?id=468 I suspect there's something fishy with the error handling mechanism.

same thing with structure; list, maps etc with an id that is no longer valid

#89 LSnK

LSnK

NaN

• GMC Member
  • 1188 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

Speaking of which: I wish the file_*_open functions didn't generate error messages. Sometimes the functions will be passed a file which can't be opened due to lack of permissions/in-use status/whatever. There's currently no way to avoid this without turning off error messages entirely.

They already return -1 if the file couldn't be opened, which is sufficient. Subsequent attempts to use the handle would still generate errors, the only difference would be the ability to handle the situation gracefully in code.

#90 Schyler

Schyler

Noskcirderf Derf

• GMC Member
  • 2680 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

I don't know if its been mentioned, but median() still seems to return randomly wrong values.

#91 Xardov

Xardov

Game Developer

• GMC Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

And for some reason, if i type in 200+ lines of code, the code editor lags. It's freakin text!

#92 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4028 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

And for some reason, if i type in 200+ lines of code, the code editor lags. It's freakin text!

Text with a markup (and error checking etc)....

But a better question would be: why do you have 200+ lines (regularly) in a single function?

Functions should be short so that you can understand what they do at a quick glance. - That 200 line function is better split up into several parts.

#93 Xardov

Xardov

Game Developer

• GMC Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:53 AM

Text with a markup (and error checking etc)....

But a better question would be: why do you have 200+ lines (regularly) in a single function?

Functions should be short so that you can understand what they do at a quick glance. - That 200 line function is better split up into several parts.

Because i'm pretty messy programmer, plus i like to keep everything in the step event. And it's not a function, it's an event. <_<

Edited by Farcrusader, 10 March 2011 - 08:53 AM.

#94 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

I give +1 to that! I thought the Find/Replace feature had been completely removed! It's things like this that make me decide to stick with Game Maker 7.0. ;)

Read this before contacting me with a mentor request. This text file is subject to amendments at any time, without notice.

Get your GM 8.1 Anti-Aliasing here!
2712265.png

#95 icicle.flame

icicle.flame

CyntaxGames

• 283 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

just a quick fix. When you create a new script the editor window fix ALMOST the whole screen. Just have it mazimized or half the screen. =]

:Secret Weapon (secret game):
:Programming: [][][][][][][][][][]
:Spriting: [][][][][][][][][][]
:Storyline: [][][][][][][][][][]
:Sounds: [][][][][][][][][][]

:Awsomeness:[][][][][][][][][][]

Posted Image .

#96 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16900 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

I give +1 to that! I thought the Find/Replace feature had been completely removed! It's things like this that make me decide to stick with Game Maker 7.0. ;)

+ 10 to that. It is severely limiting even if the search/replace function has been revamped (which it was a waste of time to do)... it no longer works the way all other programming UI work or any text editor I have used. It's impossible to replace the text you have selected; it either replaces the next one or the previous one or the first or last or all, but not the one you know you can safely replace, the selected text you see before your eyes. It's stupid.

Edited by icuurd12b42, 10 March 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#97 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3054 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

DLL usage. After some time it sends me an error message: "Error defining external function", and I need to abort and remove the dll from scripts to make it work ~ making game/program impossible.

#98 Artaex Media

Artaex Media

Artaex Media

• GMC Member
  • 1531 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

@Shadowrend, that one was already noticed...

-RefluxLtd ;)

#99 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3054 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

Didn't read xD

#100 Primoz128

Primoz128

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

There are some other small glitches with the new code editor that I probably don't need to talk about in detail, but perhaps an option to use the old editor would be extremely useful ( I know this isn't for suggestions, but it shouldn't be hard at all to do. ).

That's nothing to worry about that much in gm 7.0 all of the [, {, ] opened some stuff in script editor which way very slow and annoying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users