182 replies to this topic

#1 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4733 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

Okay, I know I'm about to open a can of worms, but here goes.... What's the biggest bug that you think needs fixed in GM8? One per customer please!

If you agree with a bug, then please +1 it, don't post it again.

I'm not guaranteeing to fix it, but I will look to see if it can be fixed it in a reasonable amount of time. This is NOT a feature request discussion, but things that are obviously bugs.

Try not to "discuss" them please, there's plenty of other places you can do that, just list them and give a small reason. If you have opened a BUG for it in our bug tracker, then post the link if you can. Any complex bugs must have a sample GMK.

Thanks - and please be gentle with me...

Fixed:
Undo in Text Editor.
Error in reading real numbers from text files
Fixed bug 0000536: mp_grid_add_cell is bugged. Also fixed same issue in mp_grid_clear_cell is bugged
Fixed bug 0000597: Overly large images were not being clamped correctly and were causing corruption.
Fixed bug 0000255: Replacing code at the start of the line. cursor column was going negative.
Fixed bug 0000580: If you use sprite_create_from_surface on a blank surface...blah
Single pixel lines at the left of the screen now draw.
Adding Extensions with UAE active causes errors.

Won't be fixed:
View port scaling.
Anything Audio
graphics tearing.
Modal Code dialog.
Anything to do with GML "syntax"
Object collisions on "fast" objects.
Error messages (I'd like to address quickly in a later update)

Might get addressed/looked at in some way.
Font rendering
Code window size on opening.
file_*_open functions should return an error. (I do consider this a bug)
instance_destroy() in the destroy event.
floor(1000000000000.5)
ceil(1000000000000.5)

Stuff mentioned that I've added anyway.
CTRL-F now searches in the code editor.
Escape cancels "Code completion"
You can now switch code completion on/off inside the code editor.
Code editor rendering has been sped up a little - I think.

#2 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2258 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

I hate it when the GM8 sprite editor freezes on me when I try to leave it and save the sprite. (Happened several times now)
That's the only bug I'm aware of.

Edited by orange08, 07 March 2011 - 09:09 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#3 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

The surface transparency bug. This is extremely annoying.
Here's the topic describing it.
Here's the bug tracker entry
It has also been reported on the YYG bug tracker, but I'm not sure that really gets looked at anymore.

I know you said only 1, but there's one more small one.
Script editor undo bug

Edited by Dark Matter, 07 March 2011 - 09:47 PM.

String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#4 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4066 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

Random error messages that starts appearing sometimes whenever you move the cursor or click. Not sure if this is such a big problem to others, but it have happened to me a couple of times in the past, and once today.

1Amdi.png Swxmo.png RDHEw.png 17Ezd.png

#5 ellisvlad

ellisvlad

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 255 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

I'm not sure what causes it, but often, especially after screen resolution changes the pane with all of the sprites/objects/rooms/etc. has the text go partially white, and I have to hover over each item of text to view it, it happens more when lots of groups of objects/sprites are open, any clue as to why this is happening and if we might see a fix?

#6 Abyssaldemon

Abyssaldemon

The GameMaker Addict

• GMC Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

Not sure if its a bug, but it is rather annoying being able to click around outside the script editor when it is open, but when execute code is open you are bound to that box until you click the green check.
My life? Where? I thought I lost that a few years back...

#7 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1586 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

I don't know if it's because I usually develop on OS X or what, but it seems to me like GM8's filesystem functions are buggy... and don't find what they're supposed to find.

#8 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

file_text_read_real() Bugs
file_text_read_real() bugs (Game Maker 8.0 only)

The bug report was made for 1 bug, but there are actually 2 bugs:

1. file_text_read_real() skipping zeros.
2. file_text_read_real() not going to next line in the file when reaching the end of the line as seen in previous Game Maker versions. This was undocumented and it breaks compatibility, so it's clearly a bug.

DRM is a big bug, but not a GM bug. :P

Edited by Big J, 12 March 2011 - 11:15 AM.

Read this before contacting me with a mentor request. This text file is subject to amendments at any time, without notice.

Get your GM 8.1 Anti-Aliasing here!
2712265.png

#9 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8587 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

Does your "one per customer" mean only one bug per person, or one bug per post.

I'm thinking that it's per post so you can take advantage of the reputation as a bug priority, but will accept on bug per person, if that's what you really meant.

I'd also suggest people not +1 right away, all that will do is skew the +1's to the bugs that are posted first making skewing the reputaion towards bugs that are reported first, not bugs that are more important.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 07 March 2011 - 10:03 PM.

keep_crap_150_zpsd7af69c5.png

#10 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4733 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

One bug per person. I'm expecting LOADS here, so if I limit it to 1, everyone can post "a" bug and I'm sure others will post some others they hate. So for now, 1 bug per person.

Don't worry so much about the +1s, it's mainly so I can see if there's a few folk affected. I'm not deciding on a bug because its +10 and another is +1. if the +1 is simple, it'll get fixed. if the +10 is a nightmare - it won't for now.

Had a look a the surface bug... I think its a remnant from GM7, when the surface is grabbed it checks to see if ALL alpha is 0, if it is... it makes it 255. This helps newbies who don't know much about alpha, and as it's historical can't be changed... What I might do is..err.. cheat. The option to remove back is a true/false (or 0 and 1), but I might let you put in a 2 :P. If you do this I can ignore the fill with 255 part.

It's kinda overloading the original function, but I have to preserve the original behaviour as other games will break. But this should be fine. I'll see what I can do.... depends how much of the runner it touches.

Script editor undo bug has already been fixed.
I think the file_text_read_real() bug has also been fixed already.

The code box is annoying, and it's not a bug - it's by design. I've yet to look to see if I can "undo" that design.

Saying an error "Random error messages that starts appearing sometimes whenever you move the cursor or click" doesn't help... I'd need an example, screen shots, a walk through.... Or it won't get fixed.

#11 Rusky

Rusky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2492 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

Surfaces/room transitions in 3D. As demonstrated by the SurfaceFix DLL/extension, it's a rather simple problem to fix.

#12 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1935 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

I hate it when the GM8 sprite editor freezes on me when I try to leave it and save the sprite. (Happened several times now)
That's the only bug I'm aware of.

This, I have lost good work do to this bug, please fix it.
Please visit Andygames.com today!

#13 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:25 PM

When checking collisions against an instance with image_xscale or image_yscale set to 0 the game will freeze. The freeze only occurs when checking collisions against two instances that are actually colliding though.

I know noone cares about this bug but it's easy to fix so :p

By the way:
List of known game maker bugs

Edited by flexaplex, 07 March 2011 - 10:35 PM.

:]

#14 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

I don't remember if this was fixed in GM8 or not (and at the moment I don't have access to GM to check it), but I remember a bug where using draw_line_width_color to draw a 0-length line crashed the game completely. draw_line_width worked fine, as did draw_line_color, but not draw_line_width_color. Obviously, it's simple to work around (check if the length is 0 and don't draw it), but it's still a simple but fatal bug that shouldn't be there.

-IMP ;) :)

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#15 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

The surface bug is due to pre-multiplied alpha on certain nvidia graphics cards if that helps.

my 'Bug':

There is no function to check if a file is open for reading/writing and you get an error if the file is open in another programme as that makes it skip the opening of the file...

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

The destination is much harder to reach when you don't want to walk towards it.

#16 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

I don't remember if this was fixed in GM8 or not (and at the moment I don't have access to GM to check it), but I remember a bug where using draw_line_width_color to draw a 0-length line crashed the game completely. draw_line_width worked fine, as did draw_line_color, but not draw_line_width_color. Obviously, it's simple to work around (check if the length is 0 and don't draw it), but it's still a simple but fatal bug that shouldn't be there.

Was fixed for GM8.
:]

#17 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4733 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

Transparency bug fixed.

In 8.1, Set the removeback parameter to 2 rather than true/false or 0/1 to get the new behaviour. This maintains backwards compatibility and allows the surface alpha to be copied correctly.

#18 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4083 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

The surface bug is one of the biggest annoyances in gamemaker.. - The simple fact it is unavoidable on certain is quite a problem. (Even clearing the surface manually, drawing a point & clearing it again produces the bug).
Had to switch to C++ and rewrite the collision system/destructable system for one of my games...
(Mike's too quick in bug fixing here) - btw does that option 2 "remove" the background or does it just work like "normal mode"?

@IMP: that bug was fixed already.
@Doco: not sure if this is really a solution, but you can check the result of the file_open commands: if they're negative gm couldn't open them.

Other bug I saw:
When you "search" for an empty string (in the script editor) gamemaker gives an access violation.

Edited by paul23, 07 March 2011 - 11:02 PM.

#19 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1549 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:10 PM

Mr. Mike, thanks for opening another "what can we fix" topic.

EDIT: Awesome quick fix for that surface bug--good job, and thank you! $:^ ]

Since you put "bug" in quotes, I'll suggest not a bug per se but something that should be easily fixable: Some areas of the manual are not very clear at all--and on a similar note, some actions in GM use language inconsistent with the manual (and GM's concepts in general). I can mention custom transitions (for which torigara created a wonderful tutorial in which he aptly stated that the manual does document it, but crams way too little information under one condensed function description), but a more important issue is objects and instances. For some reason, I recall earlier manuals trying to describe the difference between abstract "chair" and an actual chair in the room, but I don't see this in the manual now; however, the description could still use a good illustration, like an object being a blueprint for a chair, and an instance being the chair--no matter how many chairs you create or modify or destroy, it doesn't affect the original blueprint, but if you destroy the blueprint, then you can't create any more of those chairs (or of course if you modify it, you build a new, different kind of chair each time). (Using a consistent illustration like that throughout the manual should help remove many questions that get asked, especially for when people use object_add() and object_delete() in completely the wrong manner.)

And little details like this don't help matters:
:GM057: Test Instance Count
text in window: If the number of instances is a value
text in tooltip: if number of objects obj_name is Equal to 0

I don't mean to write so much (in light of the thread's rules), but I wanted to express something tangible in relation to the short version: The manual's great for the most part (in my opinion), but it could use some serious editing in a good few places, preferably by a native speaker/writer of the language. And if GM's various action text could be more descriptive and consistent, then more power to ya. $:^ J Hm, I feel that un/documented deprecated functions sticking around version after version are a related issue (in the sense that they also cause many unnecessary confusions/questions asked on the forums), but you may feel that's stretching into multiple issues. $:^ ]

Either way, many regards,

Edited by ParodyKnaveBob, 07 March 2011 - 11:22 PM.

theUndiscovered ~ Brandon W. Horton ~ ParodyKnaveBob ~ $:^ J

#20 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

@paul23
Wow, the manual needs an update, I've been using GM for 7 years and I didn't know that...

@mike
I don't think the all alpha = 255 is the problem: I'm fairly sure that pre-multiplied alpha is causing the problem (I have researched this quite a bit because is is exceedingly annoying) - If you can't see why this may be then look at this - it perfectly explains the problem:

http://gmc.yoyogames...pic=474273&st=0

Example gmk: (post 6 in link above )
www.messy-mind.net/temporary/premultiplied.gmk

Edited by Docopoper, 07 March 2011 - 11:26 PM.

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

#21 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7479 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:16 PM

One that immediately pops to mind:

If you use image_xscale (and possibly image_yscale, not tested) to mirror a sprite, then the bounding box of that sprite changes size, possibly because it isn't mirrored properly. This causes collision detections to be off.

See the bug report:

http://bugs.yoyogame...view.php?id=244

This bug was of considerable impact on us when writing the Game Maker's Companion - as a workaround we had to mirror sprites in the sprite editor to be able to properly use bounding box collisions, not to mention change the project code accordingly. It also increased the sizes of the EXEs significantly.

Addition: It worked fine in GM7, probably the introduction of alternative bounding box shapes broke it.

Edited by Smarty, 07 March 2011 - 11:29 PM.

#22 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4733 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

@mike
I don't think the all alpha = 255 is the problem: I'm fairly sure that pre-multiplied alpha is causing the problem (I have researched this quite a bit because is is exceedingly annoying) - If you can't see why this may be then look at this - it perfectly explains the problem:

In this case it is. I traced the code and the 0 alpha was replaced by 255 after the "Alpha Checking" function ran. by bypassing this function the surface background alpha is copied "unchanged". Now.... if you set varius blend modes that affect the alpha values, thats up to you, but if the alpha is 0... it should be copied, not filled. I'm not sure if this will "fix" everyones issues, but it will mean you get the alpha from the surface "as-is", which is the important part as far as the runner is concerned.

#23 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:30 PM

Hey Mike, what about complaints like Game Maker's file extension/association? Using ".gmk" for every single Game Maker version only causes trouble. Game Maker 7 should have used ".gm7", Game Maker 8 should have used ".gm8", GM9 should be ".gm9", etc. I keep old versions of Game Maker, and when I work on old projects, I don't want them automatically ported to the latest Game Maker. Once you save your project with the new version, you can never go backwards to old version. That is very bad, especially when trying to help people with their projects. I have projects that only run correctly in GM7, and having them open in GM8 when double clicked, just because that is the last version I ran, is bad. If I want to port a GM project to a later version, I can do that on purpose, I don't need it done for me semi-behind my back. :wacko:

Edited by Big J, 08 March 2011 - 01:40 AM.

Read this before contacting me with a mentor request. This text file is subject to amendments at any time, without notice.

2712265.png

#24 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

[CUT - no feature requests]

Edit: :-|

Edited by Docopoper, 09 March 2011 - 12:03 AM.

#25 sabriath

sabriath

• GMC Member
  • 3197 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

[CUT - no feature requests/discussions]

The biggest bug I can think of is the execute code window modal...which has already been said. You say that you are "yet to look to see if I can "undo" that design"...but it's as simple as turning the modal of the window to NULL rather than the UI which causes the freeze. The only possible problem I can foresee is that if the user deletes the object before closing the window, than the window has no "target" to save the edition, which you would have to do a check to see if the object exists (and the event it targets) before actually doing any saving. You could further add to the 'onunload' of the object to close any forms related to it automatically.

Tutorials of Interest:
* Multiplayer: mine or True Valhalla's

Projects:
* Net39
* My 39dll scripts
* My 39dll lib
* Multiplayer Engine
* Artificial Chemistry

Posted Image

#26 pqp239

pqp239

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:02 AM

I looked at all the posts and I haven't seen anyone mention this. When you use draw_text the last column of pixels of the drawn text is cut off, which I find very annoying.
Spoiler

#27 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:29 AM

Not really a bug, but "An unexpected error occurred" is really annoying when developing DLLs. This should give information about the error. This could also be useful if there is a crash in Game Maker itself and you guys need to know why and where.

There is also the incorrect location in some errors. For example, you might get an error in a trigger and you don't even use triggers.

+1 above post for all text rendering bugs!

Edited by TheMagicNumber, 08 March 2011 - 02:31 AM.

#28 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:17 AM

Well, since my bug was one that's already been fixed since GM8.0, I hope I get another chance? :P

I think the following syntax should be removed:

str = "string value" * N;

Where "N" is a numerical value. Right now, that does the same thing as this:

str = string_repeat("string value", N);

Not only is it unnecessary, but I've never seen such syntax for that purpose anywhere else, so allowing it encourages bad habits. I'm not sure if this is a bug based on how GM works internally or if it was a design choice. Either way, it's not good to keep around.

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#29 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:01 AM

Well, since my bug was one that's already been fixed since GM8.0, I hope I get another chance? :P

I think the following syntax should be removed:

str = "string value" * N;

Where "N" is a numerical value. Right now, that does the same thing as this:

str = string_repeat("string value", N);

Not only is it unnecessary, but I've never seen such syntax for that purpose anywhere else, so allowing it encourages bad habits. I'm not sure if this is a bug based on how GM works internally or if it was a design choice. Either way, it's not good to keep around.

Are you imagining a non-existent problem? When I tried that, I got

^
at position 25: Wrong type of arguments to *.

That error show up in both GM7 and GM8. Seems to me that the incorrect syntax you talk about is already not allowed. :)

Edited by Big J, 08 March 2011 - 04:06 AM.

2712265.png

#30 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:15 AM

@Big J: Are you sure? I know for a fact I've seen people use that syntax in password obscuration codes. Something like this:

covered_pass = "*" * string_length(password);

And I distinctly remember it working...

#31 amd42

amd42

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:33 AM

@Big J: Are you sure? I know for a fact I've seen people use that syntax in password obscuration codes:

Yeah, it works, I've used it too. And unless it's an interpreter bug, I don't see any reason to remove it - it's quicker than typing out "string_repeat", and it works.

Edit: It turns out you have to put the number first; I forgot about that because I haven't used that feature much and only learned about it through a friend. But it's not that big of a deal, I could care less if it's "fixed".

As for my bug, if an extension package has a DLL in it, the user must run GM as an administrator to install it due to permissions Windows sets on Program Files. It caused a ton of problems with my extension and forced me to make a separate DLL version of it.

Maybe you could fix this by copying to %appdata% or a similar user-owned directory.

Edited by amd42, 08 March 2011 - 04:58 AM.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

#32 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:43 AM

And I distinctly remember it working...

Aaand I tried it now, and it doesn't work. (Same error as Big J) Edit: Really amd? I have to try it again...

I hope I don't sound rude, but Mike already has a ton of 'bug' reports already. He's looking for immediate, actual bugs that users run into, and have issues with... vague reports such as this, with the two examples you gave clearly not tested aren't helping anyone, and avoiding these sorts of reports is probably why he started this topic.

(Regardless, I'd hardly call this a bug... please don't think of this topic as a wish-list.)

We all want the bugs to get fixed, the best way to help is by spending as much time being as clear as possible about the bugs, and what causes them. Any time saved for Mike means more bugs fixed faster for us.

I don't mean to sound angry at all. I have lots of wishes, too, but this isn't the place to put them. :)

Edited by Desert Dog, 08 March 2011 - 04:43 AM.

HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#33 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 5275 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:50 AM

Not only is it unnecessary, but I've never seen such syntax for that purpose anywhere else, so allowing it encourages bad habits.

You can most certainly use that syntax in Python. But I will have to stick to my policy about "undocumented" features. Either put it in the manual or get rid of it.

Also, this syntax is not commutative. The number has to come first. This is an example from my tests:
//Error: Wrong arguments to *
show_message("*" * 3);
//OK: ***
show_message(3 * "*");

Had a look a the surface bug... I think its a remnant from GM7, when the surface is grabbed it checks to see if ALL alpha is 0, if it is... it makes it 255. This helps newbies who don't know much about alpha, and as it's historical can't be changed...

This reflects a significant issue in GM, not a physical bug but a conceptual one: designing advanced features with too much focus on accessibility to novice users who don't know what they're doing, so much as to decrease the usability of the advanced features as a whole.

Surface handling is not novice territory, there no need to make it too accessible as to cripple it with "intuitive" side effects.

Now, back on topic, my biggest issue with GM so far is its historic problem with NVidia video cards. My newest laptop has an NVidia card and several games from YoYo that use surfaces and/or transparent sprites experience serious graphics problems (e.g. this game produces garbled HUDs). I played the same games using an older machine with an ATI card and everything was fine. NVidia video cards are quite common, and it would be great to have a fix or at least a known work-around setting that can be provided to players/developers who use these cards.

GameGeisha

Edit: Grammatical glitches.

Edited by GameGeisha, 08 March 2011 - 04:55 AM.

Latest Releases:

Due to a recent project failure, I will be taking a leave until the end of July for further self-study. If you have questions regarding content in my posts, please contact me through email.

#34 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1611 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

Other bug I saw:
When you "search" for an empty string (in the script editor) gamemaker gives an access violation.

I wasn't able to replicate this bug right now, but I just want to add that I have indeed had Game Maker crash in the past before due to this bug. It happened when I did a search/replace, and was completely unexpected so I lost a good chunk of work, however it was only scrap work for a random code test so nothing important was lost. Since then, I've been a little hesitant to use search/replace so a fix here would be much appreciated :)

#gmc - It's like that treehouse club you always wanted to join
Hyl2CGB.png

#35 BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

There's a big bug in GM's 3D rendering of transparant triangles.
I made a small example: http://updo.nl/file/8a66877a.gmk
Rotate the camera with the arrow keys and zoom with the scroll weel.
There are three triangles:
-a big one, this is the furthest one, and it is drawn first.
-a small one, this one is drawn 2nd, and it is transparant(alpha = .2).
-a medium one, this one is drawn last, and it is NOT transparant.

Now WHY do I see the big triangle through the small one, while the medium triangle is between them?
If I would first draw the big triangle, then the medium triangle, then the small triangle, everything would work.
But if you draw something transparant, and after that, draw something else behind it, it is not being rendered.

I'm profiting of this in my current game, however, I prefer to see it fixed.

#36 Razon

Razon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:52 AM

For the replace and many other minor IDE glitches or errors, I had reported what they were and how to reproduce them in this bug report http://bugs.yoyogame...view.php?id=544.

As for the glitch that I want fixed most, it relates to the wrong sprite frame being drawn. There's more than 2 different glitches that can cause this to happen, the first always occurs under common circumstances, and the other only occurs when there's high precision variables involved. Will see about putting some info together for it again, lost all the examples and discussion from my initial report on the matter when they shut the GM8 beta tracker down awhile back- in which it was said that it wasn't going to be fixed for that release.

Edited by Razon, 08 March 2011 - 07:55 AM.

#37 desolatorXT

desolatorXT

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:52 AM

[CUT - No feature requests]

Edited by Mike.Dailly, 08 March 2011 - 08:02 AM.

- Random Retro Space Shooter: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=605687

- Nameless TDS game: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=453982 (Project is on hold)

#38 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1980 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

distance_to_point(x,y) Returns the distance of the bounding box of the current instance to (x,y). (If the instance does not have a sprite or mask, the result of the function is undefined.)
distance_to_object(obj) Returns the distance of the instance to the nearest instance of object obj. (If the instance or object does not have a sprite or mask, the result of the function is undefined.)

This is from the documentation. I call this a bug, though it is a documented bug. The first function should theoretically not need a sprite in any case, unless the documentation is wrong, because it supposedly references the bounding box, and an x/y coordinate. The second should be able to use the actual x/y of the objects, and in fact, should really be that way, since the object center is "where" things are. I'm not going to request extra functions for "sprite-to-sprite" distances since this is the wrong section for that, but generic distance functions such as these seem to me they shouldn't depend on a "graphic", rather actual positions, but maybe that is just me.

My KBInput system is now on the marketplace here.  It wraps up nice and tight GMStudio's input system into a few function calls making a user configurable input system that works the same regardless of what inputs the player has chosen including keyboard, mouse buttons, and gamepad/joysticks using DInput/XInput.  The support forum topic for it is here.

#39 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4733 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:25 AM

@BlueMoonProductions - 3D rendering bug.

This is not a bug. This is simply how graphics cards work. To get correct rendering you have to render all transparent polys after opaque ones. You then will also have to SORT them. Normal practice is like this...

ZBuffer Read/Write ON.
Render Opaque polys
ZBuffer Write OFF.
Sort Alpha Polys
Render Alpha Polys.
ZBuffer Write ON.

What your seeing is the FRONT poly being rendered with FULL alpha first, but as it's filling in the ZBuffer, polys rendered AFTER it (i.e. the middle one) fail the ZTest, so don't draw. This is a common mistake in graphics rendering.

While the GMK->GM8 is a feature request, I've not cut it because I wanted to say we agree, and we will be changing it. But please. NO feature requests here. We already have LOTS of things to do, and the "new" feature list is actually quite nice for a point release. But we're "full up" on features now. So I'm only after some annoying/simple bugs that folk would like fixed now, and I'll do what I can.

draw_text. Yep. Text drawing SUCKS. I'm not sure we can change this as it's a bigger issue. We really want to rewrite the whole font stuff though, because it's awful.

For other bugs - If you don't give full details of them, and preferably a sample, then they won't get fixed. I'm not going to be running around trying to "find" obscure bugs as I simply don't have the time for that. Sorry.

str = "string value" * N; Not a bug. Could be done better... but hardly pissing anyone off... Only "bad" bugs, one bugs that really stop progress please, or affect usability.

extension package - I've already fix this for extensions (the new Delhi requires is), but if you have a sample extension which has a DLL, then please post it and I'll see what I can do. Is this on Vista or something? If it's just a normal extension, then this is already fixed.

Rendering issues on graphics card. Most likely a driver issue. If it works on one.many NVidia cards and not another, it's a driver bug. Which card is it?

search/replace - I have fixed an issue with REPLACING strings with a null string. It might have been this that was bugged. http://bugs.yoyogame...view.php?id=255

@Razon: Yes, some of these have been fixed already, and the TABing feature has also been added (we wanted that too!). If I get time, I'll fix more of these...

Lastly... in terms of the ALPHA surface bug. I will have to state that all I've done is make sure you get the alpha back UNCHANGED. This means the case shown (Where all alpha was 0) is fixed. However, there may well be rendering considerations for you to MAKE the correct alpha in the first place. This isn't a Game Maker issue but a rendering one.

#40 DirtyUnicorn

DirtyUnicorn

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

The "Execute Code" starts with its boundarys of the screen.
So when i write code, i cant see the errors coming up, and writing lots of lines it goes off screen. Really annoying. Its probably an easy fix, its really just annoying having to re-size every time i start a new .gmk, and get coding.
Anime sucks.
Unicorns rule.

#41 Fede-lasse

Fede-lasse

AI Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2009 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

It often happens that when I open a script, the script window fills so much area that I constantly have to resize it. Make the script window smaller by standard.

Call me Fede.

#42 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

distance_to_point(x,y) Returns the distance of the bounding box of the current instance to (x,y). (If the instance does not have a sprite or mask, the result of the function is undefined.)
distance_to_object(obj) Returns the distance of the instance to the nearest instance of object obj. (If the instance or object does not have a sprite or mask, the result of the function is undefined.)

This is from the documentation. I call this a bug, though it is a documented bug. The first function should theoretically not need a sprite in any case, unless the documentation is wrong, because it supposedly references the bounding box, and an x/y coordinate. The second should be able to use the actual x/y of the objects, and in fact, should really be that way, since the object center is "where" things are. I'm not going to request extra functions for "sprite-to-sprite" distances since this is the wrong section for that, but generic distance functions such as these seem to me they shouldn't depend on a "graphic", rather actual positions, but maybe that is just me.

If you want to know the distance between two actual points (x,y) to (x2,y2) then just use pure math.
Those functions are for when you need to know the distance between each objects bounding_box/collision mask which is a much more technical(and difficult!) thing to do.

Edit: @paul23 below: :P

Edited by Desert Dog, 08 March 2011 - 09:47 AM.

HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#43 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4083 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

If you want to know the distance between two actual points (x,y) to (x2,y2) then just use pure math.
Those functions are for when you need to know the distance between each objects bounding_box/collision mask which is a much more technical(and difficult!) thing to do.

or "point_distance(x1, y1, x2, y2)" function :P.

#44 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

It was hard to choose one, since I have two... but you can always see second one from mantis and it's easy to bypass it for now, so I selected this one:

http://bugs.yoyogame...view.php?id=284

Web splash window can totally freeze GM after it was closed by javascript and you open it again.

Previously game developer at YoYoGames, Currently PHP developer in DB-Team
Programming and working with: GML/C#/PHP/JS/MySql/CSS/HTML

Follow 
@GameMakerUpdate to get info about latest versions of GM when they are released: https://twitter.com/GameMakerUpdate

(it's managed by bot, not by human, remember)

#45 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 17032 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

file_text_read_real

with file data

1 0 2 0 3 0 4 0 5 6 0

currently 0s are skipped

edit
If someone else can add the dll refusing to load intermitently bug... 'cause I used my main gripe

draw_text. Yep. Text drawing SUCKS. I'm not sure we can change this as it's a bigger issue. We really want to rewrite the whole font stuff though, because it's awful.

If you can figure out a way to disable Clear Type before generating the font when the game starts (default font) or when you make the exe (other fonts), that would resolve a whole lot of disgusting artefact

Edited by icuurd12b42, 08 March 2011 - 11:06 AM.

#46 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Yeah I mentioned file_text_read_real() skipping zeros and not going to next line on page 1 and Mike mentioned that it's fixed already.

Edited by Big J, 08 March 2011 - 11:04 AM.

2712265.png

#47 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 17032 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

@BlueMoonProductions - 3D rendering bug.

This is not a bug. This is simply how graphics cards work. To get correct rendering you have to render all transparent polys after opaque ones. You then will also have to SORT them. Normal practice is like this...

[CUT - No feature requests]

#48 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

We really want to rewrite the whole font stuff though, because it's awful.

Indeed it is awful. I have to have a duplicate font resource just for bold text.

2712265.png

#49 Xardov

Xardov

Game Developer

• GMC Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

Yeah not sure if this is a bug or not, but it would be nice if YYG fixed objects with too much speed going through walls and stuff like that.

#50 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4066 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:21 PM

Yeah not sure if this is a bug or not, but it would be nice if YYG fixed objects with too much speed going through walls and stuff like that.

Firstly, YYG aren't the ones behind GM.
Secondly, that's not a bug. If you increase the x/y value by too much, chances are the object will "jump over" any walls there might be (especially if they are thin). There's nothing the GM developers can do about this.

You will have to check for collisions yourself using something like this:
if (collision_line(xprevious, yprevious, x, y, obj_wall, 0, 1))
{
    x = xprevious;
    y = yprevious;
}

Edited by Davve, 08 March 2011 - 12:23 PM.

1Amdi.png Swxmo.png RDHEw.png 17Ezd.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users