39 replies to this topic

#1 toao

toao

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

Infinite Zombies 3D

My lates FPS.
It is about surviving streams of zombies by using diffirent weapons and opening doors.
It has nice graphics and a good, almost glitchless engine.

Posted Image

Download(Gamejolt): http://gamejolt.com/...e-zombies/4740/
Download(yyg): http://www.yoyogames...nite-zombies-3d

If you find any bugs, please report them.
It might lag a little, but it runs okay on my schools computers so it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Update!
All known bugs fixed.
Zombies break through barriers slower.
Barriers are repaired faster.
Crouching makes you walk slower.
Improved zombie pathfinding.

Edited by toao, 01 April 2011 - 08:41 PM.

#2 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:59 PM

wow, it's actually nicely done!

I thought the movement was a little clunky feeling and I didn't like the ironsights toggle.
other than that the game was great.

edit.
after further playing, I noticed you had crouch, jump, and sprint set up as well, thank you!
I think you should add more options for controls, fog depth, and field of view.

also, there needs to be a lot more time in between rounds.
there is not enough time to run around and fix up the windows before zombies start invading again.

a bug: if you run out of ammo, you can keep trying to reload.

here's my best score =)
http://img806.images...1959/scoreg.png

Edited by Newly Discovered, 01 March 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#3 toao

toao

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

also, there needs to be a lot more time in between rounds.
there is not enough time to run around and fix up the windows before zombies start invading again.

I think that the game should be high paced, but if you want to you could save a zombie or two and fix the windows while outrunning them.
And thats a nice score you got.

Edit: I decided to do an update, making the zombies having a harder time getting through barriers and fixing other bugs.

Edited by toao, 02 March 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#4 slayer 64

slayer 64

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3726 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:10 AM

Nazi zombies is fun. this is too. why are all the models in obj format? i had to use FAIL graphics on my pc for maximum framerate =/

#5 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:53 AM

I think that if you're blurring the screen, you might as well remove the bloom and replace it with a near depth of field...it'll at least look better.

#6 toao

toao

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

Nazi zombies is fun. this is too. why are all the models in obj format? i had to use FAIL graphics on my pc for maximum framerate =/

Loading might be slower, but after that it should run like if i used a .d3d file, right?
I use the .obj format becuse its easier with UV-mapping and stuff.
And your pc cant be that great, as my school computers can take this game without problems, except for lag in the startup.

Edited by toao, 04 March 2011 - 11:09 AM.

#7 fluoriioni

fluoriioni

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

In my opinion you should make more complicated models and add smoothing at lighting with gmmodelfix or some else program.

Especially guns need smoothing, now they look kinda too boxy and low definition.

I liked coding of this game and way zombies could find you, cause in many GM zombiegames you have to go find all zombies that are gliching in corners :P

Atmosphere was good, tough you could do more effects with lightings.

Only thing that should be made better is hud. I didnt actually find there information, i saw only numbers without meanings (expect points).

#8 toao

toao

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the critique.
Good thing you said that about the HUD, i vould never have thought of i myself.
I might make another version, but ill leave the models as they are.
I kinda like how the guns has sharp edges.
As for the lighting i have torches, a light from the player, and a bloom effect. What did you have in mind?

#9 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:23 AM

you could create a map in blender and apply a baked texture to it, giving you amazing lighting effects (shadows, global illumination, ambient occlusion, etc.).
also, please consider using the depth of field idea. it's fast and easy, I use it all the time in my 3D projects.
it would not only look awesome but it'd give it more of a "call of duty" style.

#10 toao

toao

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

you could create a map in blender and apply a baked texture to it, giving you amazing lighting effects (shadows, global illumination, ambient occlusion, etc.).
also, please consider using the depth of field idea. it's fast and easy, I use it all the time in my 3D projects.
it would not only look awesome but it'd give it more of a "call of duty" style.

But that vould double the drawing time, right?
If i have to draw the world once for the real graphics and once for the blurring map I think that it vould be slow.

#11 fluoriioni

fluoriioni

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

By lighting effects i mean small things like changing of lighting.
Like torches shouldn't make static light, they should have little randomness in lighting volume giving effect of fire.
Also you could have one light infront of gun drawn everytime you shoot :P

#12 Nehacoo

Nehacoo

GMC Member

• 180 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

Hey, this game is surprisingly good! There are several issues though:

Improper aspect ratio on widescreen monitors: the aspect argument of the d3d_set_projection_ext function (which you should use) will change this, you'll want to set it to (display_get_width() / display_get_height() )

Sort of related to the above, the resolution appears to just be pre-defined (800x600?) stretched out over the desktop resolution, you should either let it stay at the players desktop resolution or have a set of options.
You can use views in rooms using 3d projection, the port size is the resolution output to the screen.

Low field of view, it's very zoomed-in which makes zombies at the edges of your vision harder to detect (I notice you consider this a problem since you have the HUD indicating zombie positions :) ) and causes nausea, increase this by changing the angle argument of the projection_ext function to something larger (I'd say at least 75).

If you happen to get surrounded by zombies before noticing them you'll die ridiculously quickly, I guess each zombie adds its own damage as they get close.. you could limit it to let only a certain number of zombies can attack at a time so you won't die quite as suddenly and unpreventably.

There's a pretty cool bug with the shotgun: if you run out of ammo and switch to pistol and back, the ammo will turn into something like -12/0 and you can shoot, without need for ammo, as fast as you can click. I still can't survive for very long though, as the aforementioned sudden group attack gets me every time :P

I like the feel of the weapons and the sense of impact when you hit, and you have very good sound as well. You should probably use 3d sound though, at least for the barriers-breaking sound, since it would let the player hear which barrier is being broken.

oh and there's an error about a non-existing surface if you try to exit to menu at any graphics setting other than "fancy"... and if you move the window away from the centre of the screen in windowed mode the cursor will still be locked to the centre making you click outside the window when you want to shoot... and the zombies have a very funny walk when they've just spawned. I keep finding more and more problems, not giving you a break :P I do it because I like the game though!

Eurgh this post turned out to be a wall of text

#13 toao

toao

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

Thank you, i really appreciate your help. I was actually still using d3d_set_projection.
I have fixed the shotgun glitch.
The surface bugs are a bit evil, but i think i have fixed those now.
I wont change the zombies or their damage, thats a part of the game difficulty.
I will post an update in a while.

EDIT

Update posted.

Edited by toao, 06 March 2011 - 11:08 AM.

#14 Nehacoo

Nehacoo

GMC Member

• 180 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

Nice, I see you've fixed most of the issues I mentioned (and changed some other things), I would still like an option to run it at my monitor's native resolution but I guess it doesn't matter that much. I'm not sure if it's just because of the fixed widescreen aspect ratio, but the field of view feels a lot better now, still a bit low for my tastes though, but then again my tastes might be a bit extreme.
Oh, and a few things I forgot to mention last time: The default name is Friday, is this intentional? Also the highscore isn't empty at first, it comes with several scores from "Friday". There are a couple of spelling errors too (would you like me to point them out?).

And there's yet more: those evil surface bugs aren't quite fixed yet, if you start a level at any graphics setting other than fancy without having played it at fancy at least once you will get an error about a non-existing surface again. But if you play at fancy and then go back to the menu and switch to another setting it works fine. I'm guessing it's because those surfaces remain after you quit the first, "fancy" game.

Take the fact that I discover all these issues as a compliment, it means I've played your game quite a bit :). I normally don't like these kinds of games because no matter what you do you will eventually fail, and I like succeeding, but this is nicely enough done for me to keep playing now and then.

#15 toao

toao

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

Okay, i have uploaded a version with empty highscore files, those were just some of my old plays. And i call myself Friday.
I am recreating surfaces at every time theyre called, so i dont know what more to do about it, and they never occur at any computer i have played on.
I am grateful for your help with bugfinding.

I have realized that Claustrophobia is the right name rather than Claustrofoby, but if there isnt anything else worth updating i wont change that.
Please point out the other spelling errors.

#16 MudbudGoldfish

MudbudGoldfish

Indie Game Dev Team

• 494 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:02 AM

This game is sooo awesome!!!!! I love everything!! the only problem is that the mps are pretty small (about 4 doors), do you think you could make bigger maps?

#17 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

It's a really solid game engine =D the lag is of course one huge problem, even on "FAIL" setting for the graphics and in windowed mode the game was really sluggish at times. And we were missing some much needed headshot weapons such as bolt-action rifles and such (snipers fail in zombie games anyway, just a bolt-action with decent iron sights would be fine with me)
This game could have potential to go places, if you were willing to set up some online scores and such, and I know... tired record, but using Ultimate3D might help with the graphics, or Ogre, which ever suits you. Even better yet, make the engine in C++ and Direct3D or OpenGL, of course that's the tough route ;)

Good job on the solid engine nevertheless, I found myself entranced for a half hour on just the one play through. The pickups were a great set up, they never spawned too frequently but always appeared just in the nick of time. A repair pickup that fixes all barriers and a max ammo pickup would be fantastic though.

Zombie variety? I know it's limited in Game Maker but even just adding some variations on each individuals appearance would do wonders on the aesthetic look.

PLASMA WEAPONS (kidding)

*Thumbs up*

#18 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4094 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

wow, this was a nice 3D zombie game made in GM for once.

I made it to like wave 5, is it not possible to have the machine gun,pistol, and shotgun at the same time?

#19 Jizeri

Jizeri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

Awesome game! Cool graphics and engine works well! I would like to see Online Highscores in this, would be more addictive

#20 toao

toao

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

I wont do anything with Ultimate 3D or ogre. I have tried to learn those, but the huge ammounts of models created doesent suit my programming style at all. I dont like online stuff, it seems to fail on purpose. Thanks for the critique anyways. And about bigger maps... i wont be able to do anything about them, as bigger maps vould make zombie pathfinding harder, and make the game lag. I look at this game as done, and as long as there arent any huge glitches i might leave it like this.

#21 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

I wont do anything with Ultimate 3D or ogre. I have tried to learn those, but the huge ammounts of models created doesent suit my programming style at all. I dont like online stuff, it seems to fail on purpose. Thanks for the critique anyways. And about bigger maps... i wont be able to do anything about them, as bigger maps vould make zombie pathfinding harder, and make the game lag. I look at this game as done, and as long as there arent any huge glitches i might leave it like this.

I didn't expect you to, I agree they just make things more complicated when it comes to Game Maker :(
However... if you are interested, I'd work on a C++ OpenGL engine for this if you want :) it can use the same style models and all that as well and it'd be yours to do as you wish with. I could also implement a hi-scores list on my website/server if you want too, free-of-charge.

EDIT: encountered a bug!

for object obj_cam:

Error in code at line 1:
   if global.graphics = 2 && !surface_exists(global.sharp) then {
                                                   ^
at position 50: Unknown variable sharp

for object obj_c:

Error in code at line 1:
                                                   ^

for object obj_cam:

Error in code at line 1:
                                                   ^

for object obj_c:

Error in code at line 1:
                                                   ^

for object obj_cam:

Error in code at line 1:
                                                   ^

for object obj_c:

Error in code at line 1:
                                                   ^

Happened when I set the sound option on and the game in windowed mode with fail graphics, then went back, started a game and chose the first level in the list (the manor)

Edited by James_ogden, 20 March 2011 - 08:08 AM.

#22 Toni12

Toni12

Designer

• 851 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

This was pretty fun to play. It is nice to just run around, and shoot the dead. I am not going to nag about the graphics due to gm's limited 3D capabilities. Levels could use some better design, mostly they need to be more open, and more that two entrances/exits into each room. The performance could be better as well. Perhaps check how far away the Camera is before rendering the models that would boost performance, and it is simple. Overall though it was fun, and I enjoyed it.

#23 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

This was pretty fun to play. It is nice to just run around, and shoot the dead. I am not going to nag about the graphics due to gm's limited 3D capabilities. Levels could use some better design, mostly they need to be more open, and more that two entrances/exits into each room. The performance could be better as well. Perhaps check how far away the Camera is before rendering the models that would boost performance, and it is simple. Overall though it was fun, and I enjoyed it.

He already does this, he even uses the primitive form of mipmapping GM is capable of, and possibly LoD models. What this game would benefit from is a PVS to determine if other parts of the room are visible, even better would be a kind of portal system where rooms that arent visible are culled.

#24 Toni12

Toni12

Designer

• 851 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:15 AM

I don't like the Game Maker Scripted Mip-Mapping. In theory it would eat up less GPU Memory, but the time for the scripts to parse, tokenize, compile then run, not to mention the calculations themselves, eats up too much CPU power to be worth it.

#25 Ratroe

Ratroe

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

Amazing game! You did a great job! Also, I like the graphics. The sharp-ness gives it a cool feel, plus the look of the zombies is good and creepy.

#26 orange451

orange451

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1053 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Lol, same sounds I used in my zombie game.
Fun game to play, btw.

#27 llama man

llama man

NOD Logo Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1592 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

Incredible, very well done, i actually enjoyed it. Good graphics and very good control, i always felt like the character did what i wanted to. I got to wave.. 8? Im not too good at FPS's (even though those are the only games i play often lols)

I'd say... 9/10? Im pretty impressed.

#28 coco13

coco13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:46 AM

I really like this game. Great graphics too. I have to praise you for that!

#29 Ninetailz

Ninetailz

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

Felt like Nazi Zombies. Awesome controls, I could jump, run around over tables, past zombies, and do just about anything I would do normally in a typical Nazi Zombies setting.

I only wish I had a melee button. Other than that, the lighting is awesome, there's a zombie slaying mood in the air, and the zombies are ugly enough to make me want to shoot them. Just like it should be. :D

Fantastic FPS. 9/10, only wish I had a knife or something. Great work regardless.

#30 mathiusman

mathiusman

GMC Member

• 179 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

I think there is a melee button. If that's what Q was? It looked sort of like a knife swing...

Anyways, great work with this :D It doesn indeed feel like Nazi Zombies, though it could use some better pathfinding and the player character's movement feels... odd. But well done :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users