Collaborating With Between Mac & PC Using GM7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 evo_9

evo_9

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

I'm starting to work with a friend that wants to learn to develop games; he has no real programming experience. I've suggested he take a look at Game-Maker, which looks like a great way for him to get rolling fast.

So my questions are:

• I'm on Mac and he's on PC, is it possible for us to both work on the same game if we are running GM7 on both machines?
  • Beyond the DLL and mplay issues, are their any major reasons not to do this?
  • How can he buy a GM7 license still? I've found GM7 for PC - does he just need to buy a license from that version?

From what I've read it sounds like if we are both on GM7 we can pretty freely work/share our game development without much issue.

Lastly, is there an estimate when GM8 will drop for osX? If that is soonish we can probably wait to be on the latest version.

Thanks!

#2 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:18 AM

I'm starting to work with a friend that wants to learn to develop games; he has no real programming experience. I've suggested he take a look at Game-Maker, which looks like a great way for him to get rolling fast.

So my questions are:

• I'm on Mac and he's on PC, is it possible for us to both work on the same game if we are running GM7 on both machines?
  • How can he buy a GM7 license still? I've found GM7 for PC - does he just need to buy a license from that version?

From what I've read it sounds like if we are both on GM7 we can pretty freely work/share our game development without much issue.

Lastly, is there an estimate when GM8 will drop for osX? If that is soonish we can probably wait to be on the latest version.

Thanks!

Hey!

• There's no problems, it works fine. You can collaborate perfectly.
  • Dlls can be an issue, but if you want online, you can look at my 39dylib: 39dll for Mac. Otherwise, there's no difference.
  • You'd have to contact YoYo, I'm afraid. They don't sell GM7 anymore. You can try downloading it and purchasing Pro, but I'm not sure if it will work.
  • GM8 probably won't drop for OS X. They're going to skip that and update until GM9. Things could change, but that's the general knowledge of how things currently are.

Hope you two make a fine Mac game!

#3 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

I'm guessing GM8 wont exist for Mac OS X, it would jump into GM8.1.

#4 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8105 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

I'm guessing GM8 wont exist for Mac OS X, it would jump into GM8.1.

I'm guessing that there won't be an 8.x release at all for GM4Mac. As much as I wish there was one, I understand why it wouldn't be cost effective for YYGs. I'd settle for an interum release with some bug fixes, compatibility with GM8's GMK format and proper PNG support.

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7097 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

I'd settle for an interum release with some bug fixes, compatibility with GM8's GMK format and proper PNG support.

Wholeheartedly agree. Not being a Mac user, I don't know how serious the bugs are (probably not very). But compatibility with PC/GM8 source files would help lots of people I've worked with -- both Mac and PC users.

So that tops my list - even if there aren't any additional Mac features added.

BTW, this topic is broader than just Mac issues. It really belongs in the Community forum. You might want to report it and request a move there.

#6 evo_9

evo_9

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:15 PM

So my questions are:

Thanks!

Hey!

• There's no problems, it works fine. You can collaborate perfectly.
  • Dlls can be an issue, but if you want online, you can look at my 39dylib: 39dll for Mac. Otherwise, there's no difference.
  • You'd have to contact YoYo, I'm afraid. They don't sell GM7 anymore. You can try downloading it and purchasing Pro, but I'm not sure if it will work.
  • GM8 probably won't drop for OS X. They're going to skip that and update until GM9. Things could change, but that's the general knowledge of how things currently are.

Hope you two make a fine Mac game!

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

I think I'll just mess with GM7 and get him rolling on GM8 and he'll have to make due until we are both on 9. I have a feeling he'll be playing around getting used to it longer than I will need since he's not a programmer already.

Thanks!
rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users