#31 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

In regards to D&D, anyone seen "Alice"?

Yeah, I've used it. It's D&D is a lot more like D&D crossed with Code, it's very visual&easy to use.

#32 Schyler

Schyler

Noskcirderf Derf

• GMC Member
  • 2679 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:03 AM

I guess theres always time for change :P

I think a code-action toggle editor would be neat. Mike probably won't like it though. It would require almost an entire rewrite.

#33 round

round

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:09 AM

Translating GML to another high level programming language, then compiling to native machine code. It is a good idea!!!!
;) ..... B-)

Work on the Javascript compiler has given us more confidence with the prospect of compiling/translating GML into other languages and targets, we still have a few issues to overcome, the first one being turning all the Drag and Drop into pure GML script, this will help considerably with any further efforts on compilation...

BUT our first big thing will be shipping GM 8.1, so watch this space...

Any of our future efforts will hinge on getting GM 8.1 out, it will be the start of exciting things in the future.

Hello, rwkay,

I understand now. Thanks a lot.

It is very nice that you participate in discussion with us about the future development of Game Maker in the GMC forum!!!
:rambo...... :)

Edited by round, 28 February 2011 - 01:13 AM.

#34 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:21 AM

I don't really know what HTML5 is, but if it means playing GM games inside a browser, I say to that: "Why not?" :)

Perhaps they think that typing two equal signs wastes time.

Curse it all! That is 5 nanoseconds I will never get back! Those poor C++ and Java programmers, always having to type those long-winded comparison operators. :lol:

Edited by Big J, 28 February 2011 - 01:24 AM.

#35 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:15 AM

If I understand your blog post properly your converter "compiles" GML into Javascript using the canvas element.

Therefore the runner no longer needs to convert to byte and interpret, the obvious benefit is taking advantage of JIT compiling with what used to be GML code.

If this is correct, the non-strict syntax of GML is more cumbersome than it need be if GML forced a stricter C/Java/JS syntax.

That would allow conditions and statements using =(assign) ==(compare), && {} and terminated with a ; to be simply re-written with no/little conversions of :=, and, or, =(when used as compare), begin, and inserting ;.

Can we expect to see a stricter GML in the future to accommodate less cumbersome JS conversion?

I certainly hope so; this would be so helpful when sharing code with others.

#36 mcoot

mcoot

GMC Member

• 387 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

Just my question is: How much will this slow down GM 8.1 (& future improvement of gamemaker)...

That's all you ever think about, isn't it? If you had read the post, you would realise how much potential this has in terms of Game Maker, not just in terms of HTML5. Amd42 quoted a paragraph from Mike Dailly's blog post: do yourself a favour and read it.

This really is pretty fantastic, that you could make a workable GML-to-HTML5 system in under two weeks.

All this development is really great. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

As far as distribution goes:
I wouldn't expect you to distribute this feature free with GM. What I think would be the best idea would be to sell this as an 'addon' to Game Maker, or some sort of license for it. I don't think it will be well received at first (look at what happened when people had to pay $25 dollars to upgrade to Pro for the first time since 5.3, more than four years ago), but honestly, they'll get over it and Yoyo deserve some compensation for all the work they've put into Game Maker in the last years.

Great work, guys ;)

#37 Rani_sputnik

Rani_sputnik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 428 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

If I understand your blog post properly your converter "compiles" GML into Javascript using the canvas element.

Therefore the runner no longer needs to convert to byte and interpret, the obvious benefit is taking advantage of JIT compiling with what used to be GML code.

If this is correct, the non-strict syntax of GML is more cumbersome than it need be if GML forced a stricter C/Java/JS syntax.

That would allow conditions and statements using =(assign) ==(compare), && {} and terminated with a ; to be simply re-written with no/little conversions of :=, and, or, =(when used as compare), begin, and inserting ;.

Can we expect to see a stricter GML in the future to accommodate less cumbersome JS conversion?

This community certainly sounds like a broken record sometimes.
@Mike and Rus, great stuff! It's great to see that GMaker is on the bandwagon nice and early with HTML5, hopefully it'll give the port a good lifespan so that you don't have to worry about updating it for a while. It's really great to see GM move progress so productively.

My question (for anyone cause it's pretty basic) is why on earth is tinting not supported in the canvas (is tag the right word) for HTML5? It seems a pretty basic thing to skip out... Apologies, I am a complete noob to anything HTML.

EDIT: Oh Gosh I need some sleep methinks - fail spelling corrected
EDIT2: Does anyone want a cat? Seriously! Cat for real even

Edited by Rani_sputnik, 28 February 2011 - 11:35 AM.

#38 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3536 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

Code compilation. Yes, compiling GML into native would be much quicker, however it also means you'll get far less errors and more fatal crashes. I don't like that. However... if we DO add certain optional TYPES, then the GML parsing would increase exponentially. We do all manner of runtime checks just now, but we could strip these back if we knew certain things. If the code produced was "just right", then the virtual machine being used would fly, and there would be no need for actual compilation, so we would still get nice errors etc. Being a learning language, we need the balance. Perhaps one day... a "debug" and "release" mode might happen - but not today! :)

I really like this idea.. And if you dont like giving a error-less compilation to your users you can always send them the debug version (useful for beta releases)
Maybe, you can make the user to select a few options; if you want all variables to be declared automatically as doubles (as now) and if you'd like to set the TYPE on the declaration? it would be useful to strip between novice and advanced users, the same goes for the option you pointed to select a stricter sintax. Not to mention the performace improovements!

Going back to HTML5; since you can include stuff like JS in normal HTML, along with PHP, is it possible we get the ability to make thoose calls at real browser speed? i mean, now we can do that but only trough a DLL with HTTP support, and thats horribly slow! Including something like this would allow us to create online games connected trough PHP and MySql databases, Faster online highscores engines, Mutiplayer connectivity, etc.. pretty much like Facebook games, why not.

Edited by manuel777, 28 February 2011 - 12:35 PM.

#39 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

games connected trough PHP and MySql databases

Eww, what's wrong with WebSocket?

#40 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3536 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

Well, including that in the HTML source will be faster than downloading a new page each time you want to reatrieve a bit of data, right?

#41 Medusar

Medusar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1228 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

you can include stuff like JS in normal HTML, along with PHP

What? You can't make PHP calls from JS or HTML. In order for you to use PHP in a web page, you need to have the browser request another page from the web server. Which is just as fast as any networking DLL.

I can see why you might want to call JS functions from within a game. Nice suggestion.

#42 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

Well, including that in the HTML source will be faster than downloading a new page each time you want to reatrieve a bit of data, right?

Yes. WebSockets are new to HTML5, and faster than AJAX and whatnot. The only problem is that you'd need a separate server, you might not be able to use your webserver for that, too.

• Guests

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

Okay... I think we're done here. You might want to read Sandy's comment on how we view this product. http://glog.yoyogame...6#comment-21148

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users