5 replies to this topic

#1 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

bloomoon

Well, it's been a while...

I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I more-or-less stopped game making 2 years ago. But now that GM4Mac is a reality, I have a new game called bloomoon. It is a sequel to a game I released in 2007, "vim".

In bloomoon you create an ecosystem from scratch. There are no specific goals: you may choose to create a thriving, advanced community, or create a world of fire and destruction. You also have the power to take control of individual animals and guide them through their lives... or take control of all animals simultaneously. And unlike in vim, the animals now evolve over time!

Here are some screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The game will be up on YoYoGames soon. Until then, here is a MediaFire link to the Mac version (19MB):

http://www.mediafire...xo72av7c1wdy474

And on Game Jolt: bloomoon

Edited by Polystyrene Man, 22 February 2011 - 06:29 AM.

#2 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

Your sig is messed up, btw. :P

Anyways, nice! A Mac-exclusive title! In any case, welcome to the Mac side of things. :)

I'm afraid you can only upload Windows games to YoYo. You might want to try Game Jolt if you need a good host. Do you have a website?

You might want to consider packing your game in a DMG (See any of my games or any Mac app for an example), as it greatly reduces download size. Your game could've been 10 megs.

Now, concerning your game:

It didn't have a custom icon, but I don't mind that. Still, it would help differentiate your game.

Interesting music. :)

I loved the way the abstraction and music combined together, excellently pieced. It lags my really recent computer time to time, but overall I'm quite impressed by this game. It lacks anything to do... it seems like more of a tech showcase it seems? It looks like it's got some serious work in it, code wise.

I also reached the max population too soon. :P

Overall, a very very nice concept/game. 9/10. :)

#3 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

Your sig is messed up, btw. :P

Anyways, nice! A Mac-exclusive title! In any case, welcome to the Mac side of things. :)

I'm afraid you can only upload Windows games to YoYo. You might want to try Game Jolt if you need a good host. Do you have a website?

You might want to consider packing your game in a DMG (See any of my games or any Mac app for an example), as it greatly reduces download size. Your game could've been 10 megs.

Now, concerning your game:

It didn't have a custom icon, but I don't mind that. Still, it would help differentiate your game.

Interesting music. :)

I loved the way the abstraction and music combined together, excellently pieced. It lags my really recent computer time to time, but overall I'm quite impressed by this game. It lacks anything to do... it seems like more of a tech showcase it seems? It looks like it's got some serious work in it, code wise.

I also reached the max population too soon. :P

Overall, a very very nice concept/game. 9/10. :)

Hey, thanks for playing!
Wasn't aware about YoYo not accepting Mac games. Quite a disappointment, but as I said, I should have a PC version in a couple days. I don't have a website, but I'll check out Game Jolt.

Music was my own, so I'm glad you liked it! And yeah, it was probably the most difficult thing I've ever programmed.

You can speed up the game by pressing the "=" button and going to the preferences (you can also change the max population there, as well- there is no limit). There game expands over time, so let it sit and you'll have many more animals and some new plants.

#4 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Hey, thanks for playing!
Wasn't aware about YoYo not accepting Mac games. Quite a disappointment, but as I said, I should have a PC version in a couple days. I don't have a website, but I'll check out Game Jolt.

Music was my own, so I'm glad you liked it! And yeah, it was probably the most difficult thing I've ever programmed.

You can speed up the game by pressing the "=" button and going to the preferences (you can also change the max population there, as well- there is no limit). There game expands over time, so let it sit and you'll have many more animals and some new plants.

Yup, no Mac games on the YoYo website. Welcome to the Mac community! We're kind of a minority here, so don't expect things to change soon. :)

Sounds good. Anything you can do about that lag?

Also, do you plan on porting 'A Day in the Life of Bob'? In fact, I could help you out. :P

#5 BubbaMonkeyStudios

BubbaMonkeyStudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:21 AM

Wow, the main menu and music is just awesome.

The game itself is really cool, but I don't understand the slave thing. All that they do when I select them is go to wherever I click? What are their abilities?

It's also a bit unclear on exactly how you evolve.

The game lags on my computer too =/, but as you said turning off the effects in preferences makes it run perfectly.

Overall though, this game is amazing. Can you unlock new resources?

-BMS

Edited by BubbaMonkeyStudios, 23 February 2011 - 03:52 AM.

#6 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:08 AM

Wow, the main menu and music is just awesome.

The game itself is really cool, but I don't understand the slave thing. All that they do when I select them is go to wherever I click? What are their abilities?

It's also a bit unclear on exactly how you evolve.

The game lags on my computer too =/, but as you said turning off the effects in preferences makes it run perfectly.

Overall though, this game is amazing. Can you unlock new resources?

-BMS

Hey- I realize this is a late reply, but I'll answer your questions anyways...

When you select a slave, you can tell it where to go and what to do. Simply select a slave and then click on other animals/plants/water to carry out an action.

Evolution is more-or-less out of your control, though you can increase the speed by adding radiation (at the expense of health). Basically each animal has its own specific attributes, and when it mates with another animal the attributes are averaged and then randomized up or down. If their spawn comes out with a large enough increase in a certain attribute, it will evolve.

New resources are indeed unlocked throughout the game, based on certain actions that the animals carry out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users