• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Cook

Captain Cook

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

NOTE: I am not the head of this project, although I do plan on contributing to it. I am only making this topic because JudgeSpear has to maintain this kind of topic at several other places. Yes, I have his permission. Yes, I could probably get him to make an account and post here if it's a problem.

That said,

Xeno Fighters R is a manic vertically scrolling shooter. It is a fangame that is heavily influenced by the Raiden Fighters series by SEIBU KAIHATSU INC. It is made starting in Game Maker 7, then moved to Game Maker 8. I wrote the game engine on my own, completely from scratch from the ground up.

Quick Features (as of v0.10 Beta):
*26 different ships to chose from, including cameos from different games.
*14 playable stages.
*Auto-fire mode.
*Custom leaderboard
*Arcade mode (play through each stage progressively)
*Conquest mode (score attack mode on one stage of your choice)
*Customizable soundtrack (supports MP3, OGG, and more)

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdyYOTPbd40&feature=player_embedded

Download (76 MB) (a big chunk of that is OGG files and external stuff; don't worry, it's worth the wait)

This does not change resolution size, although it does have windowed and full-screen modes.

Edited by Captain Cook, 16 February 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#2 Seki

Seki

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 227 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:44 AM

Impressive, reminds me of the first time i played Raiden on a flash site, hardcore action paced, Good work, its great!

PixelJolt: Developement Blog

#3 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

What the hell is this? A GM shmup made by someone who actually has passion and knowledge about about shmups?

This is totally sweet, and so is JudgeSpear. Tell JudgeSpear I told him he was totally sweet. I liked the laser/missile system, and the Galaga-ship tugged at my ever-nostalgic heartstrings.

Minor detail: I think Michelle's hitbox should be placed just below her shoulders, like it was in Espgaldua, rather than on the head. Feels more natural, I find.

Also, I have recently deviced a couple of GM-objects that will scale the screen-size without interpolation, and allow for neato post-effects like scanlines, which I'm using for my own shmup in development. I would love to see it in effect for this game. Would Spear be interested in that?

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#4 zaceron

zaceron

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

An interesting attempt, interesting cool powerups and totally unbalanced. Some of the ships eats bosses away the big beam of doom, while others can hardly dodge a bullet, and sometimes there are to many small projectiles to dodge. The scrolling feels to choppy.

#5 GooseBoy

GooseBoy

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

Amazing gameplay and amazing graphics and effects. There we ships that were too saturated with weapons so I Could hardly tell where my ship was at times. But overall nice job, I almost never give a 10 out of 10 but this one won my heart!

10/10 !!
Megaman X: Neo
New Megaman X game on the works, try it out now!

#6 JudgeSpear

JudgeSpear

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

Hi, I am one of the developers on this project. I'll address any feedback, good or bad, you may have.

An interesting attempt, interesting cool powerups and totally unbalanced. Some of the ships eats bosses away the big beam of doom, while others can hardly dodge a bullet, and sometimes there are to many small projectiles to dodge. The scrolling feels to choppy.

The very powerful ships will be locked away come the final release. As this is still in beta, everything is unlocked. This is a manic shmup, so there will be a lot of bullets to dodge. There are lower difficulty levels for those who are not experienced in this kind of game. Try those. At least this game was not developed into a bullet-hell or danmaku shmup, where the screen would be many times more filled with bullets than it is now.

Also, I have recently deviced a couple of GM-objects that will scale the screen-size without interpolation, and allow for neato post-effects like scanlines, which I'm using for my own shmup in development. I would love to see it in effect for this game. Would Spear be interested in that?

I would like to try it out. If you can provide a demo of your objects in action, it'll be appreciated.

Edited by JudgeSpear, 19 February 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#7 Captain Cook

Captain Cook

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

Whoa. I didn't know you already had an account here. :P

I guess I might as well get some more videos linked so this post actually has some use:

So hey, new stage based on The Guardian Legend! And let's see some more ships while we're at it (which are playable in v 0.10, but will be modified for the next release)!

... Only one media tag per post allowed? :/

Edited by Captain Cook, 21 February 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#8 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:56 AM

I sent a PM to Spear with the gmk of the scanline example-thing.

I'm mostly posting to allow Cook to post his other piece of media without double-posting.

Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#9 Captain Cook

Captain Cook

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

k den

#10 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

Posted Image

Am I the only one that noticed Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres? :3
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 35%

#11 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

They're available in the game right now, actually. You should try it!

#12 Captain Cook

Captain Cook

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

Zapdos is an inside joke and a reference back to JS's MUGEN days.

It will be the only non-SHMUP player available.

Also, please do not suggest ships for the game unless you're willing to get the resources (sprites, etc.) for it, and even then only so many ships can be put in the game.

#13 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:46 AM

This game looks very fun. I'm downloading it right now. I'd of course suggest you to host the game on Box.net instead of MediaFire - I had some problem with an ad redirecting me away from the download page - eventually I figured I'd click the "Stop" button on my browser as soon as the download link had appeared.

Worked just fine.

I assume that my computer will be unable to play this game (I mean, it took nearly 10 minutes before it'd managed to start up Mega Man Rocks, it runs Guilseo Spirit with a framerate of around 15, and I haven't even dared trying Iji on it) but I'll try to find a workaround for that. Like having my friends test this game on their computers, and ask "may I have a try" after they've died a few times. That always works. ;)

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#14 Pro Pro.

Pro Pro.

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

awesome game, one of my GM faves. Any chance of adding ships from indie shmups in the future?

#15 N-techstudios

N-techstudios

GMC Member

• 293 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

ahh, reminds me so much of raiden. Which is a good thing.

this is awesome. totally smooth game-play, and awesome visuals. keep working at it!
Fan of the Forgotten Realms? Interested in seeing a RTS game based within that setting? Interested in helping out in any way? visit http://warsoftherealms.webs.com for progress, design and development information. Join the team or simply help balance or design a few units, it's up to you, the more help I get the sooner the game get's done, the sooner the game get's done the sooner you can play it.

Visit my channel and subscribe for let's plays, reviews, and gameplays of popular games (soon to include games from the GMC!) http://www.youtube.c...C69C40E2D265A6E

#16 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

The game is extremely good and/or well polished. Apart from the defaulty Name Entry boxes. They stood out a bit more than necessary. Change them to a custom Name Entry screen where you move around a marker and press the Fire Key to select letters. That'd look more well polished.

You could actually have an Option for this in the Options screen:
Name Entry: Windows Textfield/Custom Textfield (using keyboard_string, like Return To Sector 9's name entry)/Zelda-like name entry

This would allow players to select the name entry they prefer (nice looks vs speed it takes to entry the name). Sounds good? :)

The game is super fun already. You've got a good grip at the build-up/explosion ratio. My favourite ship so far is Zapdos. Epic cameo, epic bomb sound effect. I also happen to find the Galaga ship's sound effects very loud compared to the others. But perhaps the real retro freaks prefer it like that. ;)

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Spoiler

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#17 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

I also happen to find the Galaga ship's sound effects very loud compared to the others. But perhaps the real retro freaks prefer it like that. ;)

Nope, I found it too loud as well.

#18 Slim

Slim

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

you MUST release the purple homing laser script for the public here..... :D

#19 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

I also happen to find the Galaga ship's sound effects very loud compared to the others. But perhaps the real retro freaks prefer it like that. ;)

Nope, I found it too loud as well.

Allow me to expand on my previous statement: all the retro characters/ships, including (Legend) Guardian, has sound effects that sound relatively high and grating compared to the others.

And even if it stays true to the original game, I question having a "no effect"-TZINNNG sound as the normal damage sound from Guardian's homing shield thingies.

And if I didn't say it before, it's a wonderful game and likely the best shmup game ever created in Game Maker. :)

Edited by Yal, 23 May 2011 - 11:24 AM.

Spoiler

#20 JudgeSpear

JudgeSpear

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:37 AM

Here's a marathon playthrough of the game's Arcade mode on Expert difficulty:

I agree that the sound effects for the classic cameo ships are too loud. I will fix this volume problem come the next public release.