Now, to try and keep some order in this topic, I think that we should make a list of things that we should discuss and try to deal with each of them one at a time and only move on when the issue has been resolved. A few members have already PMīd me their suggestions and Iīve also seen a few things mentioned in other topics so thatīs where we will start. If there is anything that isnīt on the list (below) then please PM me and I will add it in so it can be discussed too. So...
Should we have one? Should it be obligatory? Should the winner decide outright, or pick one from a community made list? Should games that donīt follow the theme be allowed and if so can they win the Jam?
- Each Jam will have a theme, and participants are encouraged to use it.
- Using the theme is NOT obligatory, but will be valued when voting.
- To encourage use of theme, the highest-voted theme-based game gets to choose the theme for next Jam.
Should we have Polls? Or post in topic? Should we vote for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place or just 1st? Should we have other votes for graphics, sound design etc? Should non-theme games get a vote for an "Honourable Mention" category, or no votes at all?
Addendum: Should people be allowed to vote for themselves?
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be chosen using the SSE method. Voters may rank the games in order of their preference. Voters may rank as few, or as many, games as they wish.
- All games are eligible (themed and non-themed), but voters should take "use of theme" into account. (Remember: non-theme games can win, but they CANNOT pick the next Jam's theme. see above.)
- Voters may give an "Honourable Mention" vote for a game whose features they liked, but wasn't good enough to win. These can be graphics, sound, gameplay, idea, etc.
- (Optional) When voting, leave feedback about WHY you voted for the game(s) you chose.
- Participants may not vote for their own game.
How often should we have the Jam? Every 1, 2 or 3 months? Should we have "special" Jams for christmas or other holiday periods?
- The Jam will be held every 3 months. So the next one will be on the 29th of April (a Friday).
- If the Jam coincides with an official competition it will be postponed.
Is 72 hours too much? To little? Should timezones be taken into account?
- 72 hours long from 12:01 AM GMT Saturday ...to... 11:59 PM GMT Monday
5) Outside Help
The chatroom was a nice touch and good fun, and I think that it worked well... the count-down timer was good too, but those things were OUTSIDE the GMC. So, maybe we should have a site to hold these things (and more) in one place? A chat room with "lounges" for teams, a countdown page, games pages etc... and just have the GMC for the actual main Jam topic? Or does this defeat the purpose of the GMCommunity Jam?
- Games must be posted in the WIP/Games forums before the finish deadline for the Jam. Hosting is up to the individual user.
- A link to your game and a short description must be posted in the official Jam topic.
- People are welcome to use any outside sites, and are also welcome to promote such sites, but the posting of topics and the voting will be done on the GMC.
6) Follow Up
Should we have a "follow up" section at the beginning of each new Jam where we review the previous games that were made and see if they were ever finished/polished? Or how about a yearly "Best of" competition where the community votes on the best Jam game of the year?
- A week or two before each Jam a follow up topic will be posted where previous competitors/participants will have the chance to showcase the developement of their Jam game.
- Participation is NOT obligatory and the aim of the topic is to show what became of previous Jam entrants and give a bit of "pre-jam hype" to encourage new members to join in.
What about prizes? Anyone think of anything else that can be a prize other than bragging rights, choosing the theme and a Dadio banner/cup?
- Prizes will be as before... A special graphic/banner, bragging rights and (if your game is a themed game) the possibility of choosing the next Jam theme.
- Community prizes will also be offered as members of the community contribute whatever the feel appropriate. EG: Coverage on their web site, custom graphics for the game, a video of the gameplay for YouTube... Whatever
- There will be ABSOLUTELY NO MONETARY PRIZE. This is forbidden by the forum admins.
I think thatīs about it for now... I will add more things as they come up! Now, lets get the discussion rolling with SHOULD WE POSTPONE THE NEXT JAM UNTIL AFTER 8.1 COMES OUT?
PS: Please try to contribute as best you can to this (ie. no trolling!) and help make the GMC Jam a lasting community event that the GMC can be proud of!
Edited by Nocturne, 10 April 2011 - 07:19 PM.