I've been looking at quite a number of different 3D-extensions and engines for GM, but I was hoping that someone would happen to know just the perfect choice, if these were the requirements:
I would like to be able to (listed after decreasing importance):
- Render some pretty light/shadow, some basic fog and maybe some particles.
- Do some basic animations (no more advanced than GMs build-in rotation/moving of single objects.
- Apply textures fairly easily (for instance via UV-maps edited with UVmapper), preferably with at least 1-bit alpha-channels.
- Use video as a texture or some sort of overlay (like in Myst/Riven).
- Easily import objects from, for instance, Anim8or.
- Render objects partially transparent (like water).
- Maybe render 2D overlays or objects as additive lightning.
I don't think I'll need to (listed after decreasing unimportance):
- Animate with bones and morph-points.
- Use physics and collisions
- Use fancy shaders.
- Render reflections or refractions.
- Ensure a great performance at all times (this is not like I don't care about it, I'm just saying that if any game in the world should be allowed to lag a bit, it should be a non-action game like this).
Clearly you can see that I'm aiming towards something as simple as possible, so I can focus on the game rather than wasting time setting up something I don't need the functionality of.
If anyone knows just the right engine/extension, please respond below.
Thanks in advance