79 replies to this topic

#1 tootlerocks

tootlerocks

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

Pokémon SkyBlue is a new Pokemon fangame somewhat based on Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen the Pokemon series. However, it features a whole new region, many new Pokemon and much more.

File Size: 7.9MB
GM Version: Game Maker 8.1 Standard
Vista Compatible: Yes
Changes Screen Resolution: No

Includes:

• Pokedex with 53 new Pokemon
  • 10 routes, 8 towns, 1 all-new region
  • Battle System - includes faster Pokemon strikes first, move effectiveness, STAB bonus, Base Values and Effort Values (EVs), stat-changing moves, learning new moves and forgetting old ones, move accuracy, physical/special division, move power points (PP), shared experience (and WAY better algorithms in latest version), multi-strike moves
  • Trainer Battles - includes a Rival character, two Gym Leaders and the rise of Team Shadow
  • Walking, talking people
  • Pokemon Storage system (Laptop) with 20 boxes (500 Pokemon in all)
  • Pokemon evolution
  • TMs and HMs, including Aerial Ace, Rock Smash and Cut.
  • Items in the field, in battle and in the Pokemart.
  • Pokemon IVs (Individual Values), Natures, Abilities (some)
  • Animated Pokemon sprites!

Controls:

• X - talk; select option
  • Z - run (hold down); cancel
  • Enter - brings up menu; skips to next box in Laptop
  • Ctrl+Enter - skips to previous box in Laptop
  • Arrow keys - move around; choose option
  • Ctrl+M - mute sound. Press Ctrl+M again to start playing sounds again.
  • F1 - game help/info

To Be Added:

• Shiny Pokemon
  • Improved Pokemon storage system
  • More Pokemon
  • Bigger storyline
  • Fishing
  • Greater range of TMs/HMs
  • Pokemon breeding
  • Accuracy and evasion stats

Screenshots:
screeniesnew.png

Download: (.exe) https://www.box.com/shared/s0s64h3u77

Please provide comments, feedback and suggestions for future releases, as well as report any errors. Thanks!

Edited by tootlerocks, 21 April 2013 - 03:01 AM.

#2 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

Screen-shots are helpful...

EDIT:
I got an error when I walked into the grass. I think it's because I didn't get my starter yet.

for object object8:

Error in code at line 9:
draw_sprite(spr_hpmeter,48*real(pkmn.hp/pkmn.hpmax),x+33,y+16)
^
at position 47: Division by 0.

Edited by Dark Matter, 31 January 2011 - 07:23 AM.

#3 tootlerocks

tootlerocks

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:39 AM

Screen-shots are helpful...

EDIT:
I got an error when I walked into the grass. I think it's because I didn't get my starter yet.

for object object8:

Error in code at line 9:
draw_sprite(spr_hpmeter,48*real(pkmn.hp/pkmn.hpmax),x+33,y+16)
^
at position 47: Division by 0.

Thanks for pointing that out. I road-tested the game to check your theory and yes, it is indeed because of a lack of starter, which shouldn't really have happened (make sure you talk to your mother before you exit the house, but normally you would have to anyway).

I have uploaded a newer version, which hopefully shouldn't do that. And just for the record, I added a link to some screenshots as well. Thanks a lot!

#4 XTC Games

XTC Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 28 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

I played it for a while, and it looks really good. I haven't encountered any errors so far. Any errors I see I will report.

#5 Consoft

Consoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 449 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

Hey!
This is a really nice and smooth engine you've got going here! It's nice to see a Pokemon fan game being released with enough features to keep me busy for longer than thirty seconds :P

There are only some minor huffs I came across (I wasn't TRYING to find bugs, these are just things I noticed as if I were playing the game normally) [Suggestions are included in here as well :)]
During the introduction to creating a new game, the letter "i" sometimes crams itself too close to the letter next to it, which looks awkward
During a battle, when it comes to the bit that says "what will <pokemonname> do next?" it scrolls. In the actual games, this just appears without being typewriter'd.
The intro to the wild pokemon battle music sounds like it's the end of the world, you might want to leave that intro for a legendary battle :P
If I'm walking, it's quicker to stop walking, then hold both Z and X down at the same time instead of continuing to walk and holding Z (because of the delay it takes before you start to run)
No reflections on the water [OH NO MY LIFE IS OVER :P]
If you're creating an entirely new continent and pokemon, I don't see why Team Rocket should be a part of it (just a personal opinion!)

aaaand as I'm typing this out and continuing to play the game, I encountered an error :P
Posted Image

Other than this, fantastic effort! Keep it up :D

#6 Diventurer

Diventurer

GMC Member

• 732 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

This was great! :)

I have 1 suggestion, add footprints on the sand when just walked on xD

And yes, I discovered the error also, as mentioned by Consoft.

Edited by Gamma Ray, 01 February 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#7 tootlerocks

tootlerocks

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

Hey!
This is a really nice and smooth engine you've got going here! It's nice to see a Pokemon fan game being released with enough features to keep me busy for longer than thirty seconds :P

There are only some minor huffs I came across (I wasn't TRYING to find bugs, these are just things I noticed as if I were playing the game normally) [Suggestions are included in here as well :)]
During the introduction to creating a new game, the letter "i" sometimes crams itself too close to the letter next to it, which looks awkward
During a battle, when it comes to the bit that says "what will <pokemonname> do next?" it scrolls. In the actual games, this just appears without being typewriter'd.
The intro to the wild pokemon battle music sounds like it's the end of the world, you might want to leave that intro for a legendary battle :P
If I'm walking, it's quicker to stop walking, then hold both Z and X down at the same time instead of continuing to walk and holding Z (because of the delay it takes before you start to run)
No reflections on the water [OH NO MY LIFE IS OVER :P]
If you're creating an entirely new continent and pokemon, I don't see why Team Rocket should be a part of it (just a personal opinion!)

aaaand as I'm typing this out and continuing to play the game, I encountered an error :P
Posted Image

Other than this, fantastic effort! Keep it up :D

Thanks a lot, Consoft!

Yes, I did find that error; it seems that GM8 doesn't like that sort of syntax. I changed it, and it works fine now.
Reflections on the water have been added to the to-do list for PSB (Pokemon SkyBlue) upon your request.

With Team Rocket: The idea is, the story for PSB starts several years after Team Rocket last disbanded (Pokemon G/S/C). Since then Giovanni resigned as leader, and in his place X was elected. X vowed to take over as much territory as he possibly could, and with both Kanto and Johto out of the question he went searching and soon found a suitable place to take over - the region of Skyros.
So, that's the general idea. The entire storyline is still forming, but that's what it is at the moment.
I have also taken your other suggestions into account. Thanks a lot for the feedback, it was really useful! Oh, and I'm glad you like the game. :)

Now, GammaRay: I have actually got footprints on the sand already in the game - you should be able to check that now, with the Routes 22-24 bug fixed (which you mentioned).

Thanks a lot for the feedback all, keep it coming!

#8 bralucs

bralucs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

the gameplay is fine!

But about those sprites... Did you have any experience? I would just practise spriting and then remake your pokemon, cause those sprites will have some people to not play the game.. When It actually has good gameplay..

So try that :)

Hope you know what I meant.. :mellow:

edit:
Some tips: I can see you took some of the originial pokemon, and then just used some parts of it, like the fire. And try to use the shadows/highlights better. The outline needs a darker tint of the pokémons color, not black!
Don't think I wanna wiseacre or anything.. I have a lot of experience with spriting so..
Just helping! :)

Edited by bralucs, 04 February 2011 - 04:06 PM.

#9 Jobo

Jobo

Freelancer

• Local Moderator
  • 2554 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hmmmm... I think your game may have an attitude problem.

Spoiler

....seriously.

#10 TDWP_FTW

TDWP_FTW

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

Spoiler

....seriously.

What an utterly useless post.

On-Topic, I liked it. The engine was smooth, and the dialog was nice. The Pokemon sprites are a little sloppy, but I'm sure they'll be improved over time. Other than that though, I enjoyed it, and look forward to the final version! :D

#11 tootlerocks

tootlerocks

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:49 AM

the gameplay is fine!

But about those sprites... Did you have any experience? I would just practise spriting and then remake your pokemon, cause those sprites will have some people to not play the game.. When It actually has good gameplay..

So try that :)

Hope you know what I meant.. :mellow:

edit:
Some tips: I can see you took some of the originial pokemon, and then just used some parts of it, like the fire. And try to use the shadows/highlights better. The outline needs a darker tint of the pokémons color, not black!
Don't think I wanna wiseacre or anything.. I have a lot of experience with spriting so..
Just helping! :)

Thanks a lot! Yes, I agree the sprites are in great need of redoing, and I will go ahead with the sprite-remaking as soon as possible. Admittedly, I don't have that much experience in spriting, so this post was a real reminder to me to shape-up my spriting.

Jobo... um, enough said. I will add, however, that I am on Yagibabla's side.

#12 Jobo

Jobo

Freelancer

• Local Moderator
  • 2554 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

Maybe I should have added that this is the finest Pokémon fangame I have ever seen (despite of the pokémon sprites).
I was actually very impressed.

- Sometimes, when using the fast-movement, it would lag a lot and I could stop pressing movement keys and it would finish my last press 10 seconds later.
- It was easy to get the fast-movement stuck though, if holding down <space> then going to a dialogue of such.
--- When you exit the dialogue, it will act as if you're holding space until you re-press space.

I think that's about it.
Oh, and use a sprite font (draw_set_font_from_sprite, I believe), it will remove the horrible positioning from Game Maker's draw_text. E.g. use an actual pokémon font.

#13 tootlerocks

tootlerocks

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:01 AM

Maybe I should have added that this is the finest Pokémon fangame I have ever seen (despite of the pokémon sprites).
I was actually very impressed.

- Sometimes, when using the fast-movement, it would lag a lot and I could stop pressing movement keys and it would finish my last press 10 seconds later.
- It was easy to get the fast-movement stuck though, if holding down <space> then going to a dialogue of such.
--- When you exit the dialogue, it will act as if you're holding space until you re-press space.

I think that's about it.
Oh, and use a sprite font (draw_set_font_from_sprite, I believe), it will remove the horrible positioning from Game Maker's draw_text. E.g. use an actual pokémon font.

Ahh... so you discovered the "fast-movement" thing. That was mostly used for testing (it just increases room speed dramatically while Space is held down), so I didn't really design it to perfection. In early versions of the game I had problems with the game running at 40% of its normal speed WITH the fast-movement on, so it's much better now than it was earlier on.

Now, sprites again... The actual function for sprite fonts is
font_add_sprite
which can only be used in the Pro edition of Game Maker 8; although I do have the font as a set of subimages ready for usage. I've also had a look at some guides on spriting and am starting to run through all the Pokemon sprites and redo them.

(P.S. My apologies on behalf of the Professor. :) )

#14 FoxInABox

FoxInABox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5587 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:19 AM

EDIT: bug report removed due to new version, will make a new one in a newer post.

Edited by FoxInABox, 14 September 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#15 tootlerocks

tootlerocks

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:14 AM

well, I'm not that impessed, this need some work overall:
- got to the trainer that had a pokemon that looked like metapod and was using harden .. harden keept repeating that it failed, so I couldn't do anything more
- most missed feature for me is the possibility to re-arrange the moves and buying multible items at a time
- you could ofen meet a wild pokemon when not snapped to a grid
- text start to type a word and then throw it on the 2nd line..

But then again, you accually got a working combat system, and that already put you pretty high on the rank and show that you know what you are doing, so keep on polishing the game, I'll look forward to play the updated version (oh and I wouldn't mind a batttle speed option x3)

You say there's a bug in the Harden thing... I'll have to check that, I haven't noticed it before but only because I haven't tested that properly yet. I will look into it ASAP.
Re-arranging moves and multiple items WILL be coming in future updates; how far into the future, though, I'm not sure. I'm currently doing a full sprite remake and will update the game once that is done.
Anyway, thanks a lot for the feedback! :)

Note: Just a general reminder that if anyone finds any bugs, errors etc. could they PLEASE report it so it can get fixed up in time for the next upload. Thanks!

#16 razoof

razoof

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:10 AM

Hey you got any better poke spriters
I re-did the starters
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 _176368

_176368

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:12 AM

Great game and all but isn't this copyright infringement or something?

Edited by _176368, 11 February 2011 - 08:13 AM.

#18 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:57 AM

Completely, but no one ever gets caught therefor it's okay.

#19 tootlerocks

tootlerocks

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:24 AM

Hey you got any better poke spritersI re-did the startersPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hey, that's actually quite good. I am going through a remake of the entire sprite collection, so I hope you don't mind if I use these in redoing the starters? I will definitely give you credit.

Completely, but no one ever gets caught therefor it's okay.

Not so, IQbrew. I heard recently about a Pokemon MMORPG that was shut down by Nintendo quite recently due to the same sort of "copyright infringements" _176368 mentioned. I myself have great admiration for the Pokemon series, and that as well as the efforts made by those such as GameFortress (Pokemon Twilight) gave me the inspiration to create my own Pokemon game.

I think one of the reasons games like Pokemon Twilight haven't been shut down is because of the use of "fakemon" - fake Pokemon. The MMORPG in question used real Pokemon, to the best of my knowledge. Another reason is because PT actually gives Nintendo the credit for the whole Pokemon concept, which is also regarded in the opening sequence of SkyBlue: "Pokemon © 1995-2011" or something like it is the first thing you see.

I disagree that "no one ever gets caught therefore it's okay", as you said regarding Pokemon fan games such as this one. I believe that copyright infringement, which is effectively stealing other peole's ideas, is never okay. As a result, I try and give as much credit as possible to those who provided resources, concepts and so on (see the game info for the credits - press F1).

Edited by tootlerocks, 12 February 2011 - 01:26 AM.

#20 razoof

razoof

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:57 AM

Oh I think theres a potion glitch I couldn't use moves anymore on any pokemon its the pokecenter they dont heal pp.
Also, I had my pokemon faint when all I had was a starter and I was stuck in the party menu.

Kwebeever

Posted Image

Edited by razoof, 12 February 2011 - 06:15 AM.

#21 Consoft

Consoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:01 AM

The Pokemon MMORPG that was shut down around 6 months ago was also Open Source, allowing anyone and everyone into extracting the game. Also, the game was a complete PC remake of the FireRed and LeafGreen games.
I believe in creating fangames if:
1) You give absolute 100% credit to the original owners
2) You make absolutely NO profit (including donations) from it
3) You are ready to take the game off the internet if asked by the original company

I myself am making a Pokemon MMORPG, but should it need to be taken offline, I am making the system as modular as possible, needing only to replace resources to bring the game back online with absolutely zero copyright infringement.

ANYWAY, BACK ON TOPIC!
@razoof: I like the water and fire starter remakes, but the green one's shading seems a bit dark in the shadow areas. Also, its red eyes seem out of place :S I'm really not a fan of kwebeever though, mainly because of the random black outlines and complete lack of shading. Just my two cents :)
@tootlerocks: When's an update? :D

#22 razoof

razoof

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:46 AM

well thanks consoft
also the kwebeever was shadded I was just little sloppy on both making it and shading

Posted Image

#23 razoof

razoof

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

Ok the game seems good so far.
But the gamegliched when I lost to benji in the first time you battle,
Also I noticed that attacks do a certain amount of, damage tackle 4dmg , gust 3dmg
Leer and defense curl do nothing.

#24 Consoft

Consoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:16 AM

If I'm correct, this is due to the calculations rounding off values. At the higher levels you shouldn't experience this problem.
This is running on the assumption that he's using the same formulas I am, which are (I tried my best XD) nearly identical replicas to R/S/E/LG/FR

#25 tootlerocks

tootlerocks

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:22 AM

Ok the game seems good so far.
But the gamegliched when I lost to benji in the first time you battle,
Also I noticed that attacks do a certain amount of, damage tackle 4dmg , gust 3dmg
Leer and defense curl do nothing.

I've gone through and fixed a lot of the bugs in the system, including the Benji bug, and I have also found the source of the Harden bug as well and am currently tweaking things so it doesn't say that Harden failed for no reason.

Yes, Consoft is right about the stat changes and attack damage. There are indeed proper damage calcuations in place and stat changes act as a multiplier to the amount of damage done (it's more complicated than that, of course).

With a bit of luck, an update should be coming along very soon, with quite a few changes. Hang in there... and thanks for the feedback etc.!

#26 razoof

razoof

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:35 AM

well I found that any new pokemon has no pp on its moves when its caught, also pillot move string shot glitches and it keeps saying the same thing over and over

#27 NinjaCatStudios

NinjaCatStudios

GMC Member

• 520 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Spoiler

....seriously.

On-Topic, I liked it. The engine was smooth, and the dialog was nice. The Pokemon sprites are a little sloppy, but I'm sure they'll be improved over time. Other than that though, I enjoyed it, and look forward to the final version! :D

I think he means that you should have a swear filter.

#28 Consoft

Consoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:32 AM

Spoiler

....seriously.

I think he means that you should have a swear filter.

I think that would be a pointless thing, since the only way a user would see a swear word would be to enter their name as a swear word. In this case, it is up to the user whether they see profanity or not.

#29 tootlerocks

tootlerocks

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:24 AM

Alright, I've uploaded a new version that is glitchless - i.e. it doesn't say the same thing over and over, etc. I've also got some newer sprites for the starters and Kwebeever (thanks, razoof!).

#30 Slowbro

Slowbro

GMC Member

• 78 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

This is a promising start. I suggest you seriously work on improving your Fakemon as they look really bad and I'd suggest you try using newer tiles; we're on GenV now so the FR/LG/R/S/E tilesets look so chronically outdated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users