• 329 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

EXE Only (~9MB)

Entire Source Project Directory (~50MB)

Posted Image

============================================
APRIL 25th 2012

NOTE: In preparation for the GMDN release (now called "a[foo*bar]") I'm releasing the entire project directory of what started off my idea a year ago. The GMDN a[foo*bar] is an interactive tutorial site which will attempt to document every language, interactively, collaboratively. Think w3schools.com, wikipedia-fied, with stackoverflow.com Q&A in every page, using a JSFiddle-esque editor, only real-time.

For web technologies it will an feature in-page real-time editor. For GameMaker and other game engines, it will feature interactive tutorials (with the use of GM:HTML5).

============================================

About the App
The OurGMC Interactive Tutorial Suite (OITS: oh-its) is designed to allow users to engage in tutorials in real-time. The OITS allows the user to do the following:
* Hands on learning
* Code Testing
* Code Debugging
* Quick Prototyping
* Test GM8 Pro features without even having GM installed

How To
After extracting, simply load the app, select the "About OurGMC" Course, and click "Begin Course" on the left.

New in v0.92b
* Context Menus now work
* Fixed the hanging issue when using alt-Tab to change windows
* Moved DLL's into the "bin" folder for a more professional look

Known Issues
* "Sound Device Disabled" - this happens randomly and I think it's more of an issue with GM than anything.
* Misplaced "About" Page - Very annoying, the splash screen places itself randomly no matter what values I use (even if I use the -1,-1 trick).
* When clicking the combo boxes in the "Events Tab", the background is turned to black. I think this can be changed by using a brush, but for now I'll leave it as is.

Things to look for in the future
* Keyboard Shortcuts
* .gmk/.gm6 Export/Import - If I can get this to work properly, I know I'll be able to turn the OITS into a flash engine, which is my ultimate goal. What it will do is import the .gmk and build everything in memory - just like it does with Courses/Lessons - and export all those objects back out as flash, java, XNA, whatever code. I've got a few ideas but still need some work.
* Grab objects - Another step into my final goal, to be able to click and drag objects around without messing their code. This is actually easy to do, and should be available in the next release.
* Path/Timeline/Room Editor - Would be nice to be able to do this real-time instead of through code. Again with the idea of turning it into an engine.

Let me know what tutorials you guys would like to see, and I'll put those in priority - The goal is to have a series of courses: "Beginner Course", "Particle Course", "Multiplayer Course", "AI Course", "Collision Course", etc

Edited by OMGCarlos, 10 May 2012 - 04:01 AM.

#2 M_I_Soft

M_I_Soft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 198 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

Just going to take a look now but love the idea of it - what better way to learn that to actually do the code yourself!

Will post back with my findings.

Leigh

Update.....

Well had a quick look and I like it - great environment set up and the lesson system works really really well.
Only thing I did notice is the lack of right click context menu for copying text when you'd highlighted it, but that's just me having my habits on stuff like that.
The other thing I did notice that could confuse the odd noob is the resource tree has a plus for every branch whether it's empty or not. I'd try and get that so the plus is only displayed if there's a sub item to help with the target market this will be aimed at.
In general though - a great idea, well executed and I'll keep an eye on it for further developments!

Leigh

Edited by lwindridge, 24 January 2011 - 08:55 PM.

#3 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:34 AM

Thanks for the reply Leigh! I agree about the plus signs, but that's a limit in the dll and not something I have control over which is why instead I made the folders with objects in it bold. You know I'm a keyboard shortcut guy and I would never had thought about adding the context menus! Def appreciate picking up on that.

Oh and I actually don't have a target market as I intend on keeping it free. Polished up a bit more with a ton of real tutorials and I'm sure I could market it, but I think I'll actually benefit in the long run by keeping it free. Def appreciate the comments, and I'll make sure to add the context menus.

#4 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

Updated to 0.92b, now has context menus and fixed a few other minor bugs. Would like to get some more feedback before I start pumping out tutorials to use with it! How does it feel? What could be improved to help teach? Does it feel user-friendly? Try out the sandbox and give it a shot...includes the debugger so just hit ignore if you mess up!

Also, started working on the "*.*" exporter, which will allow you to export everything you make within the OITS environment to flash, or any other language provided the plugin is created.

Edited by OMGCarlos, 29 January 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#5 KOOPA

KOOPA

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 485 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:55 AM

It Says the zip file is corrupted when I tried to extract it

#6 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

Can you try downloading it again, it might have been the connection. I downloaded it and it worked fine, but I reupped it just in case :)

#7 JWRAC

JWRAC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:02 AM

Wow, this thing has amazing potential.
I downloaded it because I thought about exporting flash games would be cool.
However I see it's under heavy construction.

It's a very nice job you've done, nice work.
However, to me it is no match to Game Maker.
If YoYo approved of this, then I would be glad to be able to port my games to Flash and Java.
It's a great start, when do you think you'll have import/export working by?

#8 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for the comment! I appreciate the compliments, however I have to correct a couple things first:
1) As far as the tutorial engine, it's juuuust about complete. All I need to do is fix a little graphical glitch where the combo boxes always show up black. As far as it being used to export to flash, yes it's still under heavy construction but I've been doing some experiments with converting some of the basic GML into C++ and compiling that code by pressing F5 (just like in GM). In other words, from within the OITS I can create a small "hello world" program, compile it, and run it from a single button. It's complicated but I know 100% that it's possible to export, compile, and run complex programs (games) from within the OITS.

2) lol I take it as a complement that you say it's no match to GM. Actually it's not supposed to be, remember what you downloaded is simply the Tutorial Edition (that entire tutorial demo, it was created with the help of this program :) )

3) My ultimate goal is to allow you to completely create the game within the OITS and save, compile, run the flash version. This is firstly a tutorial engine (99.9% compelete), and secondly an exporter (??% complete)

#9 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

Big update, finally made 1.0! Loaded up 2 tutorials on how to use the OITS. Now time to get to work on the actual tutorials and examples...thinking of either doing a DOOM or Platform Course before I start the Basic Courses.
Anyways, I would really appreciate some feedback guys! This has taken a lot of work, and I am keeping it free...

1) Does it run?
2) Did you like the interface (keep in mind that this will be the same interface used for the Flash Engine...ie where you make your flash games)
3) What would you like to see added to the OITS (other than saving/exporting which I'm working on)
4) Are the Lessons in a easy to understand structure?
5) What Courses/Lessons would you like to see?

#10 Orbitguy

Orbitguy

UNS Lead Guy

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

I tried this out, and as said above, you did a great job on this.

The whole thing runs very smoothly, it has a very interactive feel. Despite the ability to pause, however, I would have liked it if you had spoken just a tad slower, so as to give the person enough time to do what you actually say even without pausing.

However, upon going farther, I do notice that you have a text version of the lesson as well, which is great.

I really like the interactive portions, although I wasn't always positive if the video was keeping pace with the audio if I paused it, but it seemed to always catch up nonetheless.

Anyways... Why are we required to put our real name in when registering for the site? Most forums don't require this, and I've never really known any big ones that actually manage to get every single user to enter their real name, so usually it's optional. Do you want us to use our first name? Full name?

Rock on though, this is a great tool for people to learn with it seems, so keep on developing it!

#11 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the advice, you're right the spoken speed I get excited lol. I'll still need to have the auto pausing in unfortunately because the DLL I'm using pauses the GM window when you are using the interface...I can't prevent that from happening even if I set the global setting in GM :/

It's really hard to keep the video perfectly in-sync with the audio because all those things are being controlled through a script real-time. I tried to sync the actions to the audio, but it's not perfect yet. I'll work on that. The first lesson is purposely not in sync tho...to allow you to play around while I just introduce the OITS.

About the registration def appreciate you catching that, I didn't notice it. I took that out, but I may need your real name if you end up entering the competition to send prizes to the winners. But it isn't necessary, thanks :)

I'm definitely going to develop it more, all I needed was some feedback and I appreciate it :)

#12 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

Hey everyone, I'm releasing the entire project directory for the OITS in preparation for my next project. Check out the updated links in the first post :)

[edit] I've been told that the link wasn't working this morning...should be working now :)

Edited by OMGCarlos, 25 April 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#13 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

Haven't had a comment in over a year, and dropped to page 4 after a HUGE bump...

A buttload of work went into creating this, and since I released the source code I figured maybe someone could check it out and let me know if they found it useful. The code makes use of a lot of innovative techniques, and is heavily commented. If anything else, the source code should give you some insight into some whacky techniques I used to bypass the limitations of creating an IDE within an IDE.

To recap, here are some features of the app:
* Allows you to test code LIVE while listening/watching a podcast or screencast
* Fast Forward, Pause, and Rewind tutorials
* Allows you to run small GML programs without even having GameMaker installed
* Fully open-sourced and functional GameMaker IDE coded INSIDE GameMaker
* Primitive yet functional debugger
* Open Source

[EDIT]
This is actually a finished project, so if a Mod could move this into the GM Creations Tools/Apps section that would be great :)

Edited by OMGCarlos, 10 May 2012 - 04:04 AM.

#14 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Bump for some love...or hate. (and if a mod can move this to completed projects, that'd be great :) )

Edited by OMGCarlos, 24 June 2012 - 10:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users