ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:36 AM

You Probably Won't Make It

Lite

I've created some commercial games in collaboration with Jesse Venbrux. We're hosting them on the Mac App Store.

Official description:

You Probably Won't Make It is a highly challenging platformer by Jesse Venbrux. In YPWMI, you have to escape the dark corridors of the mysterious place that traps you. But it won't be easy. Each time you die, your blood will remain there as a remainder of your past mistakes. Can you get out? You Probably Won't Make It. You haven't played platform games until you've played this one! This game is unlike anything you've ever seen in difficulty, so if you're looking for a challenge, you've got to get this game!

YPWMI is a great game, that, like it's name implies, is of great difficulty, so you probably won't finish it. It features 18 devious levels, each of increasing difficulty. I've personally died 1200 times getting to level 18.

YPWMI for Mac features all the greatness of the original game, but it looks and behaves just like a Mac app. This means you just have to worry about the app: it won't write stuff to the same directory it's located in, it won't crash (we hope!), and it's self contained. This app conforms to all the guidelines of the Mac App Store, so you can expect some quality out of it.

Some info:

• Size: 10MB
  • Lite version levels: 7
  • Full version levels: 18
  • Price: 1 dollar, at the Mac App Store
  • Developed by: Jesse Venbrux (2DCube), with help from Uriel Griffin (ugriffin).

-Screenshots here-

Download the lite version.

Get the full version.

Get official help and support.

#2 goldsonic46

goldsonic46

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

Isn't it a violation to add GM4Mac games onto the Mac App Store?

It took 20 deaths in 5 minutes in the lite version to get to 7. However, why can't beat 7? And why are you doing this for profit?

#3 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:53 AM

Nope. That's why the games are on the Store: because they conform to Apple's guidelines. :)

Level 7 is intentionally impossible.

#4 BubbaMonkeyStudios

BubbaMonkeyStudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

Nice game. So far I've made it to level four with 118 deaths, :D

What's added in the purchased version?

#5 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:57 PM

I think this is fantastic news, and good luck to you both. I am still scratching my head about why there is so little apparent Mac making going on. Now to go dust off my own Mac...

#6 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21946 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

Interesting... So these are GM games that have been ported over to the iOS system? You have your own method I pressume that has nothing to do with Yoyo, or are these the same GM games but re-written for i-devices in another format?

#7 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3997 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

Interesting... So these are GM games that have been ported over to the iOS system? You have your own method I pressume that has nothing to do with Yoyo, or are these the same GM games but re-written for i-devices in another format?

No, it is a compiled executable for Mac OS itself. Made in GM4mac, as we can guess.
I'm not completely sure why would you want to have the Windows version free and Mac version for 1$ :P

#8 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21946 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

Aahh... I misread. I thought that this was for the iOS devices...

#9 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:53 PM

On behalf of Aragon1029, I'm posting this:

http://i.imgur.com/d3GdW.png

This honestly wasn't all that hard to do, it's a rip off of another game I played a long time ago.

Also, it lagged to hell on my Mac, though that's not your fault.

But even though I dislike this game for it being to easy, I must send my regards to the developers for finally making a GM game for Mac that doesn't suck completely.

#10 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

Could I please have the specs of your Mac? Is it a Hackintosh?

I'd really like to optimize this for older devices.

#11 goldsonic46

goldsonic46

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

In the full version, I died 217 times up to level 18. Did you beat 18?

If you didn't, the percent would be 18% death rate from your 1200.

#12 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:18 AM

In the full version, I died 217 times up to level 18. Did you beat 18?

If you didn't, the percent would be 18% death rate from your 1200.

I replayed the game and got a more respectable death rate. But hey! I suck!

It would help if you left a review on the App Store. :snitch:

#13 TeeGee

TeeGee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 671 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

Great to see that it was possible to get a GM game on the Mac AppStore. I'll try it out later. Were there any problems with packaging and code signing?

#14 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

Yes, but I had a little chat with the YoYo devs and those issues are now fixed. Packaging is now a breeze. Do you have a Mac?

#15 TeeGee

TeeGee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 671 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Great to know. Yeah, I do have a Mac and I'm currently working on two commercial games. That's why I'm quite interested in this.

By the way, I'm always interested in connecting with fellow GM4Mac developers. There's very little info and almost no extensions available at this point, so sharing experiences with other devs can be very valuable. Can I PM you my MSN handle?

Edited by TeeGee, 20 January 2011 - 06:43 PM.

#16 goldsonic46

goldsonic46

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

According to some reviews at the app store, ca you add a mute feature?

#17 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:31 AM

Great to know. Yeah, I do have a Mac and I'm currently working on two commercial games. That's why I'm quite interested in this.

By the way, I'm always interested in connecting with fellow GM4Mac developers. There's very little info and almost no extensions available at this point, so sharing experiences with other devs can be very valuable. Can I PM you my MSN handle?

Sure. Anytime. ;)

EDIT: Mute is coming soon, I actually just need to submit the update to Apple.

Edited by ugriffin, 21 January 2011 - 02:31 AM.

#18 lger

lger

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

Hi,

How did you finish with only 10 mb?

Luis

#19 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

Hi,

How did you finish with only 10 mb?

Luis

Uh, if you mean 'why is the size of the game 10mb', then it's unusually small (for a GM game), because it's compressed inside a DMG and it barely has any graphics, most of the stuff being handled by the game's engine.

It's unusually large for a Mac app because Game Maker for Mac made it that large. :lol:

#20 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Did you have to do much to the file after "compiling" it in GM4Mac, or was it just a matter of submitting to Apple?

#21 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

Did you have to do much to the file after "compiling" it in GM4Mac, or was it just a matter of submitting to Apple?

Apple sets some standards that you have to follow, so it's more than just 'compiling' the app: you need to take care of modifying the source code here and there to make sure the game meets those standards.

You may notice that YPWMI Lite behaves more like a Mac app, and less like a GM game (for example, it doesn't write its save file to the directory it's in). Little things like that are required by Apple.

After these are done, you have to modify a few parameters in the .app bundle (nothing too complicated), and submit.

All in all, it's a 'anyone can do it' process, if you actually know how the Mac platform works.

#22 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 2934 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

Meh, got to level 7 with 35 deaths. Not bad. :P (Was doing GREAT until level 5. >.O )

Simple game, don't think I would pay for the full thing, even if it is only a buck, mostly because it doesn't have much variety. Sorta the same thing over and over. Didn't hear the music, but the graphics were simple and effective. I like how you traced the previous path, that helped a lot. The blood staying after each death reminded me of a different game very similar to this where the entire graphic would remain after each death and level (So it stacked up, making it extremely difficult on later levels, where blood stains would actually help you out by covering nonexistent platforms).

Anyway, simple, decent, could use more variety.

#23 BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

Congratulations on getting me hating this game =D

It's really frustrating to die, just at the last part of a level, and then being forced to complete all other obstacles again..

Anyway. Any sales numbers? (A)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users