1) Theme is optional, but a good incentive and will be announced at the start of the Jam.
2) There will be a main Jam topic posted for the 48 hours that it lasts where people will post ONCE with a link to their game (either direct or to a WIP topic).
3) When the deadline finishes users will be invited to vote for their favorite game either in the same topic or (and this is what I prefer) in a seperate topic and the game topic will be locked.
4) Five days later (so the whole thing lasts one week) the voting will be closed and the posts tallied up to annouce the "winner".
5) The person voted highest gets a "Best of JAM 1" virtual cup for the signature, bragging rights and is allowed to choose the next Jam theme.
6) Everyone who submits games to the JAM gets a small "JAM star" pic that they can proudly display in the sig like a badge of honor that they were "there".
Promo/support sig for those who want it:
Optional Splash screen for games entered into the JAM:
Original opening post below, feel free to ignore it....
for a new Comp.
YoYo have been slacking with Comp 07, so it's up to *us* to fill that terrible aching void in our hearts.
I propose that to liven up the Community & get people enthusiastic about game creating, that we start to run our own Comps.
"Official" GMC Comps if you will.
There are traditionally 3 big stumbling blocks to GMC peeps running their own Comps:
1. Awareness of it's existence - could be solved by *not* locking this thread or moving it elsewhere. Making it sticky later on would also help.
2. Recognition - not much point in coming first in "Bob's Comp" if a week later everyone has forgotten about it - could be solved by making this "THE" GMC Comp, & again, simply giving it the attention it needs to work, (& not sweeping it under the carpet)... & making a big fuss when the results are announced, as well as making clear that it is the first in a series of Community Comps.
3. Prize money. The big one.
YoYo's prize money is a huge incentive for some folks (especially those who are still in school or out of work).
YoYo's prize fund of 1000$, 500$ & 250$ is tasty & "works".
Unfortunately, I doubt many of us have many spare 100s burning a hole in our pocket (I know I sure don't!)
but I propose that we attempt to build up a fund from many *small* member contributions.
If peeps could pitch in 5$ each, the prize fund could get pretty big, possibly this could work as an "entrance fee" - this element & specific amount is wide open to discussion.
(I reckon that prizes of 500$, 250$ & 100$ are probably more realistic. (Total target funds = 850$)*
YoYo's Comps tend to run for "too long". This is something that's been brought up many times by many people.
3 months+ puts alotta people into "plenty of time, I'll do that tomorrow" mode. And *I think* that what happens is most of the real work gets done in the last few weeks & many people don't manage to finish at all because they've underestimated the work involved.
It's my belief that a *shorter, more focused time frame* for the Comp would work better.
*Possibly* as short as 1 month.
ie: 1 month of contribution/fund build up, followed by 1 month of Comp dev time.
(This shorter Comp run time should also make the (likely) smaller prize amounts more attractive.)
YoYo's Comps have recently been very much "limited/tied to restrictions" (handheld/iPhone), many members don't dig it.
I think the GMC Comp should be wide open instead (as regards to format/device target).
Theme is undecided.
(I think it would be nice if the first theme could reflect/be directly connected to the GMC in some way.)
Why do this at all?
Well, partly because Sandy's dog ate Comp 07 ...
but also because *as much as I love the direction YoYo are going with the ports & publishing opportunities*, I fear for the impact this will (soon) have on the Community. (As people hold games tighter to their chest, obsessing over profit$ & depriving the GMC & InstantPlay of truly "free" games - in favor of work-of-the-devil "lite" versions). What?! you cry. Yes, I say. Hasn't happened yet. But it will. Once the $ starts rolling in.
So, that's it. That's my proposal.
Possibly I'm just a delusional clown.
I hope not.
I'd rather be a ninja.
Opinions, suggestions, feasibility?
All input welcome.
*gives special cookie just to *you* for reading*
PS: What is this post doing here?! It should be in Competitions!!!
Not really. It breaks a ton of the "rules" for posting in "Competitions", & is more like a "Community effort" rather than a typical "Comp" comp. Besides, this thing needs comments & input (afaik, not possible in the Competitions forum).
GMC GAME JAM...
rises from the ashes.
See more recent posts in this topic for details.
Keep all format/rules discussion in this topic!
Edited by dadio, 20 January 2011 - 11:56 PM.