192 replies to this topic

#151 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Does it suffer at all from being single player only (I am right in saying that it is only single-player or at least single-player focused, aren't I?)? I imagine that I would might get a bit lonely sharing the vast world with only myself and a few NPCs to hack at. Does the world "feel" populated?

Edited by masterofhisowndomain, 11 November 2011 - 01:54 PM.

#152 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

Does it suffer at all from being single player only (I am right in saying that it is only single-player or at least single-player focused, aren't I?)? I imagine that I would might get a bit lonely sharing the vast world with only myself and a few NPCs to hack at. Does the world "feel" populated?

It is extremely well populated (Morrowind was anyway). Morrowind was based on an island, a fairly sized one but more settlements than I'd like to count and more mods for more than I ever could.

Oblivion was trash. Around 7 cities, each city had about 12 citizens and 20 guards.

Skyrim is apparently around the size of Russia. Plenty of space to be alone, plenty of opportunity to indulge in some Assassin Creeding if you're feeling sneaky enough. Plenty of people if you want some friends.

#153 ash47

ash47

O_o

• GMC Member
  • 1344 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

It's pretty epic, I already have maxed out my pick pocket skill (level 100), and it has some epic perks :D

#154 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1581 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

I'm going to have to wait for a while until I'm old enough to convince my parents to let me buy this game :confused:. Oh well, Dark Souls will suffice for another few months.

Never mind! It's only a 15 here in England! Should have arrived by next week!

#155 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

A friend bought it.

*Sees message: "Your pickpocket skill has increased. You should rest and meditate on what you've learnt."*

#156 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2661 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

I completed the first dungeon.

So far, stunning game... just wow.

#157 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 20921 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:14 PM

I completed the first dungeon.

So far, stunning game... just wow.

I am literally green with envy... My version won't get here until Monday! I live in Spain but I don't want a Spanish version! So I have to wait for the english version I ordered to arrive... I'll just have to console myself and play the Witcher2 some more...

#158 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:03 AM

This is really annoying... I'm not getting a new laptop 'till January. Can Skyrim be played on a computer that could just about handle oblivion? I assume so if they both work on xbox, does anybody know for certain.

Oblivion was not trash... Once you packed it full of mods!

#159 Dylan93

Dylan93

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

This is really annoying... I'm not getting a new laptop 'till January. Can Skyrim be played on a computer that could just about handle oblivion? I assume so if they both work on xbox, does anybody know for certain.

I don't know about that but I do know that Skyrim runs smoother than Oblivion obviously because they optimized the whole engine and stuff.

#160 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

I'm assuming not, Skyrim uses a much more advanced version of the engine used to make Oblivion, and makes much more excessive use of it. If your PC could barely handle Oblivion then Skyrim is out the question.

#161 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

Ok. I have skyrim... bu I just found out that you need steam even with the hard copy (I hate steam!) - my computer is really slow with steam... Why must they do this to me?!! Posted Image

#162 Zwelli

Zwelli

Guy From Seattle

• 97 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

In all honesty, I was disappointed.
Don't get me wrong - great game, it just didn't live up to my expectations.

Like the flying mammoths.
Don't ask, just wait until you see them yourself.
(They spawn really high up and fall to their death)

Edited by Zwelli, 12 November 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#163 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1468 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Ok. I have skyrim... but I just found out that you need steam even with the hard copy (I hate steam!) - my computer is really slow with steam... Why must they do this to me?!! Posted Image

If your computer can't handle Steam, how can it handle an intensive game like Skyrim? Posted Image

Just for the record - I, for one, love Steam Posted Image

#164 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

This is the first time I've picked up a game from the Elder Scrolls series, and I have to admit that it's a pretty neat game.

I like the Fallout feeling(after all, they're both made from the same developer), but I think the medieval feeling is a little more interesting than Fallout(I like that melee weapons actually do a nice amount of damage, and you could just use them most of the time rather than having to rely on projectiles most of the time and worry about ammo and whatnot; I never found Melee combat in Fallout that interesting, as it never did a practical amount of damage, but maybe that's just me).

#165 Nehacoo

Nehacoo

GMC Member

• 180 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

Took over? The Elder Scrolls were always made by Bethesda.

Also, according to Steam I've played 23 hours in the two days I've had Skyrim. And I feel like I've only just begun!

Edit: Whoops was one page behind, that was a reply to Rusty on the last page but I'm sure someone's beat me to it.
Edit edit: it's even worse than that, it's probably more than one page for those with the default number of posts per page. Well don't I feel silly now

Edited by Nehacoo, 13 November 2011 - 09:19 PM.

#166 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

Ok. I have skyrim... but I just found out that you need steam even with the hard copy (I hate steam!) - my computer is really slow with steam... Why must they do this to me?!! Posted Image

If your computer can't handle Steam, how can it handle an intensive game like Skyrim? Posted Image

Just for the record - I, for one, love Steam Posted Image

Ok, I think I may have been wrong - I think I was just basing my judgement on the only other time when I played a game on steam - it didn't look intensive (for my computer) - but I guess it was. I am trying to turn off shadows in the ini file - but they won't go off! and I think that's the main problem. I already turned the graphics down to what I like to call N64 mode - so I can sort of play it. (sort of)

#167 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

Took over? The Elder Scrolls were always made by Bethesda.

Also, according to Steam I've played 23 hours in the two days I've had Skyrim. And I feel like I've only just begun!

Edit: Whoops was one page behind, that was a reply to Rusty on the last page but I'm sure someone's beat me to it.
Edit edit: it's even worse than that, it's probably more than one page for those with the default number of posts per page. Well don't I feel silly now

Nobody else has caught my mistake out but you. Bethesda took over the Fallout series from Black Isle Studios, not the Elder Scrolls series.

And I almost got away with it took if it wasn't for you meddling GMC member. <_<

#168 Nehacoo

Nehacoo

GMC Member

• 180 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

Haha I'm always here to dig up mistakes long past, whether by accident or design!

#169 ExpertGamer

ExpertGamer

GMC Member

• 8 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

this game is so popular in every forum :D

#170 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 20921 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

I suspect that those on this forum that know me have realised that my activity level has dropped off somewhat since last week... Want to know why?

Posted Image

THAT is why...

Oh, and I can't recommend enough the FX injector mod that the Skyrim Nexus has as it adds a beautiful post production effect to the world that makes every moment breathtaking!

#171 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:52 AM

What an absurd mod.
Oh, and the FX injector thing is pretty cool.

#172 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

I got it on the 12th (took me a while to get my girlfriend to back down. <_< ) and better than Oblivion? Hell yeah. Better than Fallout? Hell yeah. Better than Morrowind? I know it's true but I still can't bring myself to say it.

Everything seems so much more realistic, even the beast races seem believeable. Everybody has their own lore now and don't look like cartoons. It really sucks you into the world now and I don't even want to escape.

Also, remember this guys?
Spoiler

How the hell did Bethesda get that good that fast? Did they fire all their graphics artists or something?

Edited by Rusty, 19 November 2011 - 12:03 PM.

#173 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

How the hell did Bethesda get that good that fast? Did they fire all their graphics artists or something?

They've had 5 years to improve their graphics and computers have gotten a lot better since then...

#174 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

Posted Image
Why the hell does he look like an anime character? Everybody in Oblivion looked like a messed up anime character...

If you think that looks like an anime character, I wonder what type of anime you've been watching...

That said, Skyrim's character designs indeed look much better than Oblivion's. 5 years is a pretty big deviation, so they no doubt had to make it look prettier.

#175 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1581 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

I've run into a rather unpleasant predicament; I've proposed to Sylgja and we are getting married, but guess who got invited to the ceremony - Lydia, my dead housecarl. She manages somehow, despite being dead, to make it to the church and slump herself in the doorway for everyone to see. When she does this, Sylgja gets angry and storms out. Women.

#176 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

http://ppsh-41.tumbl...ilt-into-skyrim

Thought you guys might find this interesting. Possible DLCs on Skyrim leading back into Morrowind and Cyrodiil. It makes sense, a lot of sense with the new Morrowind-Black Marsh war storyline going on and I think we all know I'll now be gutted if I don't get back into Morrowind after this discovery. Morrowind is were gamer me was born. Personally, I'd love to kill something there in stunning 3D.

#177 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1581 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

I've been, in my opinion, playing Skyrim for long enough now to feel I have significant grounds to form an accurate preference between it and Dark Souls (my other game focus at the moment). And it may seem strange, given the positive feedback I see you're all exerting, but I have to place my vote in inclination towards Dark Souls. It may be true that I have not played Skyrim long enough to develop a full sense of immersion, but I have, overall, found Dark Souls to be much more absorbing and unique in its approach towards gaming.

Skyrim is a big game, no doubt about it, and on total play time it wins hands down, but while playing it for the past week, I have not found even a fraction of the satisfaction that frequented my mind so commonly in Dark Souls. Killing no number of dragons, even on the hardest difficulty, has compared to the thrill of delivering the killing blow to the Capra Demon; ringing the bell after defeating two axe-tailed gargoyles; parrying and riposting to the thrust of a dark knight's sword or seeing the Gaping Dragon dissolve into a mass of twenty-five thousand souls.

Skyrim has size, detail and story, and is definitely one of the best games I have ever played, but it cannot, in my opinion, contend with the hatred Dark Souls holds for the gamer, and the level of satisfaction the smallest advancement can produce. And that's what gaming's about for me - satisfaction.

#178 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

Today is a proud day for me.

Fighting off a Blood Dragon on Master difficulty, I was feeling particularly suicidal. I decided to attempt to mount the dragon and kill it in mid flight, the plan went off without much of a hitch, I got on the dragon and hacked away a bit, it landed for the final battle and I prepared my Flawless Hunting Bow to deliver the final shot. At this point, a ninja dragon appeared behind me with a loud thud, with my headphones in on a rather loud setting, the earthquake behind me gave me a bit of a scare. Not only did I miss my killshot on the blood dragon and get mauled to a point where I was chased all the way back to Solitude but I also jumped and managed to pull a muscle in my back.

I am now officially suffering a Skyrim induced injury. Much like the dislocated finger I got from Morrowind. They... grow up so fast... :wub:

#179 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

Being a big fan of Oblivion and Fallout 3 I pounced on Skyrim the moment I heard "dragon" I've probably already posted in here previous but meh.

I've clocked about 72 hours of gameplay since I got the game (on release day) I think I have like 490 Fallout 3 hours and 112 Oblivion hours (includes my PC copies as well as Xbox copies) Skyrim is the very definition of a beautiful video game in terms of graphics, the visual quality of textures and meshes is insane and the quality of shader effects just multiplies the insanity, Gameplay, I felt, in terms of combat this is, was far better than Oblivion was in every single way, the level/experience system was also twenty steps ahead (and I'd love to see a refined setup in Fallout sometime soon)

But for me Skyrim is falling short in terms of gameplay hours in comparison to Fallout and in some cases, Oblivion... I don't feel compelled to explore this insanely huge environment with all its minute detail, worse still, I find myself quitting back to my Xbox dashboard to swap discs for Fallout 3, which I spend countless hours exploring the wasteland and acquiring a horde of unique items and guns which I stash in my Megaton house.
Satisfaction may be a factor here for me, killing dragons and playing the main quest really satisfied me, but now that I have to stand in the plains and wait for them to find me... well I grow bored rather quickly and acquiring resources for smithing is time consuming and after spending years playing Runescape I tire quickly of grinding. (Especially after my high level account was stolen by some runt at school back in 2006-ish...)

#180 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 2903 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Skyrim is soulless.

Why I cant quite tell you. Yes it has better graphics, sound quality, better combat (to a point), more interesting magic's, etc.. But yet I found myself playing Skyrim with a bored look on my face. The main quests (including guilds) are all very short. You progress too fast. The Dark Brotherhood story had no impact on me, the only time I was there was while going to take/give a quest. I couldn't care more for
Spoiler
, while in Oblivion you had to
Spoiler
. Lets ignore the shortness of the quest storylines. Dungeons are a part of the Elder Scrolls since Arena. And I've played the ES since Morrowind. They haven't changed much, but still Morrowinds were the most interesting to me, while Skyrim's were boring. Only the addition of a back entrance, so you don't have to backtrack all the way through the dungeon (imagine Blackreach backtracking), was good while I just slashed my way through repetitive waves of the undead creeps, with my op ebony sword and merhunes razor, killing most of the enemies with one hit, collecting the item I entered there for, and exiting through the back entrance. One of the most disappointing dungeons was the Bottomless *something*.. I was really glad stumbling upon it, thinking it might be interesting, when I jumped in, and after a short load i found myself standing in a lake. They couldve made a fall or something, and then slashing random creeps, losing 15 minutes of my time. Oblivion's dungeons were somewhat more interesting to me. The forts, although I like Dwemer ruins more (steampunk :D), were much more interesting to me. Yes Skyrim had some interesting moments, and I cant recall them now. Oblivion's I can. I played Oblivion last time in 2010. Dragons weren't such a big WOW to me. Maybe before the first one. After seeing him, it was boring. You shoot arrows at it until it falls, then slash it until it dies... Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Even the non-scripted actions didn't make up for the repetition.

Also one more word. Consolitis.

I can talk about this all day, but for me Oblivion and Morrowind are way better than Skyrim.

I'd also like to tell that removal of many older enchantments and spells is a degradation in the Elder Scrolls lore, continuing this way we will have a fireball and a freeze spell in TES 7.
Also the great big story that we got a entirely brand new engine is just a lie, it is still the old engine (that doesn't look fantastic I must add), just somewhat improved for graphic display. I still can't see things clearly 100m ahead of me, the textures in LOD are really really bad with dark spots everywhere, I still can't sometimes "climb" a valley while I can climb a 87 degree slope 2 meters to the left, NPC's still shout the same cries over and over again, NPC's have blocky faces (I've seen more poly's in minecraft).... et cetera, et cetera...

Edited by Shadowrend, 16 February 2012 - 10:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users