• 1287 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

I hope they make the scripting C-style!

For Oblivion you had code like this:
...STUPID FORUM CODE:
Here's where I copied from:
http://cs.elderscrol...Linear_Movement

That sort of space orientated format gets so messey!
and variable assignment was:
set x to 1
compared with
x=1

Edited by Docopop.co.uk, 09 January 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#32 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5200 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:56 AM

Well apparently, They removed/dumbed down the radiant AI from Oblivion because it kept leading to the NPCs killing each other.

Sounds pretty realistic to me ;D

#33 JWRAC

JWRAC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

OH MY GOODNESS!
Oblivion was my favourite RPG to date. (Despite how old it seems now)
It really was immersive when you played it through for the first time.
And I look at Oblivion compared to that stuff... and uh... this is... this is AMAZING!

I liked the look of Might and Magic - Messiah... but I just couldn't play a game so linear.
But something like this gave me an insta-brainjizz...
I saw the trailer and the screenshots... I'm on edge here...

I'm not gonna get my hopes up about it being the best engine of all time or anything, but the graphics look like a very nice touch up.
If it's not the graphics, they can never do it for you... but the gameplay, by just reading a few paragraphs off those re-imaged screenshots...
Things like "if you drop a heavy two handed sword out on the muddy street, <thing can happen> <thing can happen> <thing can happen>"
I son't think I'm gonne have a life after 2011. xD

I mean I personally hate all MMOs and styled RPGs, they are always so unoriginal, it's why I love single player RPGs like Oblivion, Morrowind was good but I unfortunately played Oblivion first and couldn't get into it well... however seeing it as a fantastic RPG as a predesessor to Oblivion.
Oblivion though was my favourite.
However now it is not, my hopes for Skyrim won't stop rising in my head.
I don't honestly care if my hopes aren't met, bethesda has the habit of making some pretty damn decent 3D modern day RPGs, I'm sure it won't be a waste of money in any case.

I'll just have to remind myself to do everything a life demands before it comes out so by the time I finish my last year of high school this year I can just play the damn game. xD

#34 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2673 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

I son't think I'm gonne have a life after 2011. xD

I don't think anybody is... 2012 apocalypse remember?

Lolz

Anyway:
Morrowind = Epic
Oblivion = Fail
Skyrim = ?

It's going to go one way or the other. I genuinely believe that Skyrim is either going to redeem the Elder Scrolls as a series or end it completely. I doubt Bethesda would have actually listened to their fan base so I'm still not expecting much out of Skyrim.

#35 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19914 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Rusty, Oblivion was an ALMOST fail... The fan based mods made it into the game it should have been, and managed to save it from console mediocrity! As for Skyrim, if the things that i read in the scanned articles pages are true, it really should be better than even Morrowind was...

#36 JWRAC

JWRAC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

I don't see Oblivion as a fail, I loved it.
Just because a game is different I have learned that, even if it is in the same series you can't judge it harshly, just because it's fdifferent from the other children, they have so much potential, it's a bit like high school... don't remind me... xD

#37 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19914 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

I loved Oblivion too and sank maybe 300+ hours into it... But it was just SO console orientated and it had some serious flaws (the levelled lists, for one!) that to really enjoy it and get the most from the game it was up to the community to mod it... The TP3 by Qarl, Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul, Francescos mods, Unique Landscapes... if it wasn´t for these mods, I would not have found the Oblivion experience nearly so rewarding!

#38 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2673 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:59 AM

Morrowind was much more exciting and full of story, languages, difficulty and challenges. Oblivion was dumbed down for a reason I still don't understand. They even took out/ruined the small things like:
- dual wielding
- spears
- different weapon skills (Long blade, short blade, axe, blunt, spear, hand-to-hand, etc)
- they merged torso armour pieces (it used to be left shoulder, right shoulder, and torso)
- faction like/hate (your actions in Oblivion bared almost no consequence)
- housing (a home is for sale in every city in Oblivion? Oh no! In Morrowind you got faction housing!)
- conversation (what the hell is with that dodgy "wheel of friendship" thing?)
- races (race pros and cons were excessive in Morrowind, in Oblivion they mean nothing)
- settlements (in Morrowind there was loads, in Oblivion there is 7 with about 20 villages)
- map (Oblivion's is tiny)
- fast travel (Morrowind Taxi Service FTW)
- customized graphics (everybody looked inbred in Oblivion)
- large variety of enemies
- werewolvism
- a decent in depth storyline
- big battles
- decent bandit attacks
- bandit settlements (that contained more than just one tent, with the exception of the massive one in the cave near Leyowiin)

As well as a load of other features which I was extremely disappointed about. So yes, a child who is different is not a fail, a child who can only understand the most basic functions is very much an intellectual fail.

Edit:
Fixed my own ironic grammar fail.

Edited by Rusty, 13 January 2011 - 12:59 AM.

#39 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2654 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

More information has been released! (And I'm going to post it here shamelessly)

Posted Image

Warning. Huge article ahead. May contain spoilers, read at own risk.

Spoiler

#40 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2673 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Yes, yes, while the article is nice, they only need one thing in order for me to buy this game.

Can I use a spear?

#41 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2654 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

Can I use a spear?

I'd tell you if I knew for sure, but they haven't confirmed anything about spears.

Personally I always play as an archer but diversity is always nice.

#42 Dylan93

Dylan93

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

More information has been released! (And I'm going to post it here shamelessly)

Posted Image

Warning. Huge article ahead. May contain spoilers, read at own risk.

Spoiler

I just saw that too

You got it from THIS site didn't you ?
Uuughgh I can't wait to play this or see a public tech demo.

Edited by Dylan93, 18 January 2011 - 02:55 PM.

#43 Amaterasu

Amaterasu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

I'm strongly suspecting more interesting mounts than just horses, seeing as there's an interview in which the guy goes "Oh, we're not talking about mounts at this time". That implies they want to talk about them later and make a big thing of them. I'm thinking dragons, wooly mammoths, sabre-tooth tigers? That would be EEEEEPPPPPPPIIIIIICCCCC.

I'm also looking forward to the improved magic and the "dragon shouts". Casting a rune on the ground that explodes into flames when an enemy steps on it? Badass. Teleporting short distances to sneak up on an enemy? Even badass-er.

One thing I'm interested in is how much will things affect one another? Eg:

--> Will casting a fire spell from one hand and an ice one from the other make a jet of water?
--> Will casting fire spells at ice melt it, or boil the water?
--> Will lightning spells, cast on water, have an effect on enemies standing in that water?
--> Will fire vaporise snow?

You get the idea.

Random wish: I hope you can enchant clothing to have multiple effects.

#44 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2654 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

I'm strongly suspecting more interesting mounts than just horses, seeing as there's an interview in which the guy goes "Oh, we're not talking about mounts at this time". That implies they want to talk about them later and make a big thing of them. I'm thinking dragons, wooly mammoths, sabre-tooth tigers? That would be EEEEEPPPPPPPIIIIIICCCCC.

Definately not dragons... they want them to feel mysterious so I don't think you will be able to ride them.

I'd like to see the sabre-tooth tigers as pets too. As long as they don't ruin it with all these types of total random creatures like you see in MMORPG. But I trust Bethesda at making it feel believable (not realistic, big difference!).

#45 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19914 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

Definately not dragons... they want them to feel mysterious so I don't think you will be able to ride them.

I'd like to see the sabre-tooth tigers as pets too. As long as they don't ruin it with all these types of total random creatures like you see in MMORPG. But I trust Bethesda at making it feel believable (not realistic, big difference!).

I quite agree... Who want´s realistic in a fantasy role-playing game? But believable... that´s another story! Morrowind was so damn good because it was completely believable and everything was constant... lore, speech, quests all wove a believable and immersive tapestry.

#46 LAR Games

LAR Games

Graphics Design

• GMC Member
  • 1306 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

New info and screenshot:
http://www.gameinfor...ter-combat.aspx

-Luis

#47 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5200 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:18 AM

New info and screenshot:
http://www.gameinfor...ter-combat.aspx

-Luis

Looks like the player has been infected with "retarded midget arm disease". Ah, nevermind, I'm sure all he needs is 5 grand soul stones for the cure.

#48 Jess Horton

Jess Horton

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 230 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:54 AM

Huge fan of Oblivion, never got a chance at Morrowind, but I'll buy this for sure. I just hope I can get into the thieves guild again haha :)

#49 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2673 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

It's probably got a release date for 2014 though... <_<

#50 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2654 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

Release date is 11/11/2011. ;)

#51 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2673 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Release date is 11/11/2011. ;)

I know, that's what they tell us! And on 11/11/2011, they'll delay it until 24/12/2011. And on the 24/12/2011, they'll delay it until...

Yeah, I don't trust Bethesda...

#52 Jess Horton

Jess Horton

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 230 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

Your comments Rusty are pretty dead on but I don't think Bethesda is nearly as bad as Valve's or Polyphony Digital!

#53 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2654 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

GUESS WHAT!!

http://www.youtube.c...&has_verified=1

#54 Dylan93

Dylan93

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

Yeah I saw the trailer, I like the atmosphere of the game but the graphics are a bit the same as Oblivion.

#55 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2654 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

Bethesda has brought out the images in the trailer are all from the Xbox360 version. Still not sure if I was gonna get it for PC or Xbox360, but I think I'm gonna go with the console version.

#56 Dylan93

Dylan93

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

Bethesda has brought out the images in the trailer are all from the Xbox360 version. Still not sure if I was gonna get it for PC or Xbox360, but I think I'm gonna go with the console version.

Huh ? I thought they said the trailer was from the PS3...

#57 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2654 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

Huh ? I thought they said the trailer was from the PS3...

Here's the tweet from Skyrim's community manager: http://twitter.com/n...15330838188032#

You can expect the PS3 version with slightly worse graphics as with almost all multiplatform games. PC will be the best in terms of graphics obviously, if you have the PC to handle it.

#58 LAR Games

LAR Games

Graphics Design

• GMC Member
  • 1306 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

I loved the trailer. I think I've seen it about 6 times already.

-Luis

#59 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1578 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

...Going back a bit

It ruined the feeling of progress in Oblivion for me.

What I felt ruined the real progress of Oblivion was the way that good weapons were so easy to come by; instead of spending your first day saving up for a steel cuirass (as I feel it should be), within the first few hours I had bought Benirus Manor, killed all the evil inside with an almost-one-shot-kill staff, become listener of the Dark Brotherhood and discovered Fin Gleam at the bottom of the sea. I didn't really feel I had accomplished anything at all.

#60 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Why would you get it for a console, mods were the best thing about oblivion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users