Dialog boxes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wassup_dam

wassup_dam

GMC Member

• 42 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hi, I am making a game that requires dialog boxes (is that the name? dialog boxes?). Right now I'm just using the show_message() command. But it looks more lika a notice message than dialog. Is there a way for me to make dialog boxes unregistered? I just want the dialog to pop out not the kind that err..... types it self out(if you know what I mean)

#2 Nubcake

Nubcake

Nubcake

• GMC Member
  • 1295 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

Search! There Are Hundreds!

#3 busylop

busylop

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

Go to the tutorials section! I was searching for multiplayer chat when i found this dialog box tutorial. I checked it and it had great functions but was not what i was searching for, so i left and i forgot where it was but it's easy to find. Hope this helped.

#4 Noele

Noele

GMC Mentor

• GMC Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

The show_message type dialog boxes use a Windows pop-up window to display messages. They are often convenient due to their ease of use but will freeze the game and only one will be active, which is sometimes not what you want.

Creating your own which can be used to display different dialogs can seem a little daunting at first but definitely worth it and can be done using Pro or Lite; the basic concept is as follows:

Create an object e.g. obj_dialog (no sprite required).
In it's Create Event define a message variable:
dialog = "";
In it's Draw Event you can draw the dialog:
draw_set_color(c_black);
draw_text(x,y,dialog);
To display (use) it you can pass it the dialog message when it is created thus:
nnn = instance_create(200,200,obj_dialog);
nnn.dialog = "This is the message to show";
Obviously this is very basic and you would want to add to this. The dialog object can also draw a background and can use other events. You can set it on a timer to display the dialog message for a preset time, until a key or mouse button is used or until a new dialog message replaces it. The world is your oyster!

The main advantage is it will not freeze the game while it is being displayed and is not limited to a max of three buttons or keys but you can put anything into it you need.

#5 aaa111aaa11

aaa111aaa11

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

make the dialogs sprite

make a new object with no sprite. place it in the room on top of your character. then make a alarm witch will turn this object to that sprite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users