• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 pixeltao

pixeltao

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:04 AM

I finally finished my first complete Game Maker game! Ninja Senki is Mega Man type platformer with a theme inspired by classic ninja games such as Ninja Jajamaru-Kun and Ninja Robot Haggleman (Retro Game Challenge). You play as Hayate, the shurikenjutsu master, who embarks on a quest to avenge the death of his beloved.

• Game Name: Ninja Senki
  • Category: Platformer
  • File Size: 10 MB
  • GM Version: GM8
  • Vista Compatible: yes
  • Screen Resolution: 160x144 (scaled up x5 by default)
  • Changes Screen Resolution: no
  • Multiplayer: no
  • Download Link: www.ninjasenki.com
  • More info: http://pixeltao.ca

Screenshots:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Trailer:
http://vimeo.com/17794020

#2 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2061 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:56 AM

Mad pixel skillz on display here.

Very NES retro goodness.
Very Megaman.
Very cool.

+1 for being a Ninja Jajamaru-Kun fan!
Ninjas unite!!! :ph34r:

#3 Ikarugos

Ikarugos

GMC Member

• 370 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

Just played the first and second level. VERY professional feel to the game. Tight controls, good choice of music, great graphics all blend seamlessly well together.
Enemies are good so far, and I hope future levels present a big of enemy intelligence.

I like how you didn't mess around with the story at the beginning, and still got the message through on what the player has set out to do.

Simple game, that works and is enjoyable. Great work, pixeltao. :)

-Ika

Edited by Ikarugos, 22 December 2010 - 10:09 AM.

#4 pixeltao

pixeltao

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

I've worked super hard on this (more than full time in the last three months) and I loved it, so hopefully it shows in the final product. Thanks guys, it's really appreciated!

#5 fyaopo

fyaopo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:57 AM

Wow, this game is insane! I went to your website after seeing the neat looking graphics, wanting a piece of the action, and was surprised at the amount of apparent work you've put into this. Then I actually played the game. Super awesome.

The art, sound and the gameplay are so polished it hurts. I'm not sure about the difficulty as I've only done the first two levels, although I hated it when I had full health, got hit by a ghost, fell into a pit and died. Perhaps I just suck? :D

Anyway, this game is awesome. Well done on finishing it!

#6 Ikarugos

Ikarugos

GMC Member

• 370 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

Yeah I probably should of added, the difficulty curve is quite steep. Often hard to tell by yourself ('cos you made it) if you haven't used testers on your game beforehand. Always a good idea. :)

Edited by Ikarugos, 23 December 2010 - 12:26 PM.

#7 pixeltao

pixeltao

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

Yeah I probably should of added, the difficulty curve is quite steep. Often hard to tell by yourself ('cos you made it) if you haven't used testers on your game beforehand. Always a good idea. :)

Yeah, it's really a hard task to balance difficulty all by yourself: you get to know all levels and everything by heart so the entire game seems equally easy... I actually had testers to play the game and I toned it down a lot since the first beta versions. I know that the final version is still hard, but I chose to keep it this way, because it's how I like them. :) If you think that Ninja Senki is hard, try Ninja Gaiden again (particularly stage 6-2)!

Edited by pixeltao, 23 December 2010 - 08:08 PM.

#8 Munguia

Munguia

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:11 AM

iīm agree with all the comments, very cool game, i really enjoy it
but i donīt know if i can save my plays

#9 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

I played this game before finding it here. I didn't realize it was made with GM.
It's really good, holy crap. Best GM game ever. Great last boss.

#10 hypersonicX

hypersonicX

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:00 PM

This game is win! The difficulty totally gives the vibe of a NES game. Also, lots of the things in this game were inspired by Retro Game Challenge's Haggleman.

#11 decroded

decroded

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

You've done a fantastic job mate keep it up :-)

#12 Toadsanime

Toadsanime

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Already downloaded elsewhere, seeing as it got coverage on some pretty big sites. Have yet to actually play it though, which is a shame considering it looks amazing.

Oh, and it came out on my birthday apparentely.

#13 ClysmiC

ClysmiC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

I accidentally hit the escape key and deleted all my progress. Not quite sure I understand why there isn't an "Are You Sure?" message. Whatever.

#14 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

Excellent pixel art. +1.

#15 decroded

decroded

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:58 AM

I accidentally hit the escape key and deleted all my progress. Not quite sure I understand why there isn't an "Are You Sure?" message. Whatever.

A true ninja would never accidentally press esc :P

#16 ClysmiC

ClysmiC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:58 AM

A true ninja would never accidentally press esc :P

:( Well I just got finished playing a game where "esc" was pause, so when my phone went off a instinctively pressed it. I guess it was my own fault. I've just always found it kind of annoying when games will quit so easily, and you don't get a chance to save or anything.

#17 decroded

decroded

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

Its realistic...one wrong move and its game over lol.

EDIT: This comment was accidental double post, didn't mean to repeat - stupid mobile phone fail...

Edited by decroded, 28 January 2011 - 11:38 AM.

#18 RpGJuNki3

RpGJuNki3

A Fallen Artist

• GMC Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

Gorgeous game man 5/5
plays flawless.

dude...you work for ubisoft!?...<3 that's too legit yo

- JuNki3 :)

#19 kkslider55

kkslider55

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

This game is awesome. I downloaded it, have been playing it for about two hours now. Haven't even gotten past the second level, and I still love it. :P You managed to hit the perfect balance between making the game hard without making it cheap.

A solid 9/10 in my books, and one of the best platformers on the GMC!

Excellent job!

#20 pixeltao

pixeltao

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Thanks guys for all those awesome comments!

About the Esc key thing, I never had any problems with that. However, I guess that it would be safer to have a warning message before exiting the game. I'll keep that in mind next time.

@RpGJuNki3: I've worked at Ubi for a couple of years, but I'm trying to make my own stuff now. Why are you asking? Did you work there too?

#21 Interrobang Pie

Interrobang Pie

GMC Member

• 471 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

It reminds me more of a Game Boy game than a NES game due to the screen size.

I stopped after Scene 2. That swimming section unthinkably hard, and made my hand ache.

#22 fyaopo

fyaopo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:51 PM

First of all, it's nice to see you've gotten such awesome feedback on an awesome game. Congrats :D

I stopped after Scene 2. That swimming section unthinkably hard, and made my hand ache.

Don't taptaptaptaptaptaptap uncontrollably. I made the same mistake. Just take is slow, don't bump into any enemies, and tap only when you need to, if that makes any sense.

#23 Amarpal

Amarpal

GMC Member

• 51 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

Amazing game! Though, I wish I could get further into it, it's pretty hard, lol. But the difficulty is isn't crazy hard, it's hard in the sense that it gives you the hope that you can do it, but in reality, you can't. Lol. I find this a perfect blend of two great games, Megaman and Ninja Gaiden. NES versions of course, haha. Also noticed that the HUD is similar to Ninja Gaiden's HUD, lol. Music was well done, fit perfectly with the whole retro feel, same with graphics. Gameplay was very nice, like how the response is fast, like the character jumps and turns exactly when you hit the key. The only thing I find bad about this game, is the opening where the princess dies. Felt kinda odd seeing her blow up into red pellets, though that's perfect for the game, but not the scene. All in all, 10/10~ This one won't be going anywhere near my recycle bin~

#24 Amarpal

Amarpal

GMC Member

• 51 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

Sorry, accidentally posted this twice. And I can't find the delete button. ~facepalm~

Edited by Amarpal, 28 January 2011 - 11:31 PM.

#25 Viloen

Viloen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:41 AM

Cool game. Nice to see an original classic gameplay GM game. Im soooooo tired of thrown together TDS's and sprite rip-fest remakes. If you're ever looking for someone to join with when working on your next game give me a holler.

One crib though.
It'd be nice to be able to redefine the keyboard controls.

Edited by Viloen, 09 April 2011 - 12:31 AM.

#26 Latif3

Latif3

Theg721's #1 Fan!

• 114 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

OMG this game's crazy!

I love the unique vibe it gives off. Graphics are very inviting and the game is 100% polished. You should upload this to Yoyogames , it would probably become featured! I love this game so much, hope there is a sequel!

Thanks again, this made my morning!

#27 Ecstats

Ecstats

GMC Member

• 844 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

Nice and simple game, with great pixel art!

The difficulty threw me off though. Not that it's a particularly hard game, it's just that I generally don't like any instant-kill mechanisms, like this game is full of. Got to the cave/lava level at least and died to the spikes quite a few times.

#28 The Dark M

The Dark M

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

I like this game. Simple, but no Easy.
Very good work! :ph34r:

#29 Cellis

Cellis

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

Can I get some directions on what to do with the supersound.dll file? I'm guessing I have to put it somewhere for the sound to work. Made it to level 13 with no sound and still had fun (and knew what was going on!--well done, pixeltao!), but I'd love to hear what I'm missing...

#30 pixeltao

pixeltao

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

Can I get some directions on what to do with the supersound.dll file? I'm guessing I have to put it somewhere for the sound to work. Made it to level 13 with no sound and still had fun (and knew what was going on!--well done, pixeltao!), but I'd love to hear what I'm missing...

Normally, it just needs to be inside the same folder as the executable file. Not sure why it wouldn't work if it's already the case...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users