#1 mme

mme

MME

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:35 PM

gmc_header.png

What does this do?
Well this is an auto updater for your game/app. It allows to automatically update your games/apps. You can use this even if you don't have Gamemaker Registered.
After seeing how people where having trouble with uploading their own 'ini' files I have decided to re-write the updater and tightly integrate the new updater with the '{md} cloud' service.

mdu_download.png

How to use:
  • Import the 'scr_mdu.gml' into your gamemaker game and follow instructions in the script
  • Generate your API key using the {md} cloud service.
  • Place mdu.exe in the same directory as the game
  • Done
shot1.png

So how do I update my game?
Just login to your own personal account on the {md} cloud service and manage your game files.

get_api.png

Customizing the look of the updater
Just in case you want to change the look of the updater you can create your own PNG (164x72) image and place them in the same directory as mdu.exe (see script for more information)

Examples
For those users out there with older versions of Gamemaker examples can be found here:
Gamemaker 5: Example+MDU
Gamemaker 7: Example+MDU

Why is this one different to the other updaters out there?
This 'updater' uses the '{md} cloud services' to allow you to manage your own game and files easily instead of using complicated version numbers and all those other things you need to keep track off. By using 'the cloud' upgrades can be done and new features added easily without you having to re-integrate it into your game after you have released it.

The {md} cloud service also allows you to upload your files directly into the {md} cloud service or you can host them yourself.

Improvement for the {md} Updater
We are always looking at ways to improve the {md} updater. Should you have any ideas please reply or PM we are happy to have a look what can be improved.

News
29/03/13 - Moved to a new CDN provider, speeds increased for {md} cloud downloads
09/06/12 - Minor code fixes
02/01/12 - You can now rename packages
30/12/11 - Upgraded servers to increase speed. Fixed a small issue with a server configuration
13/12/10 - Added Basic Stats, fixed some date/time bugs
12/12/10 - Added support for direct file uploads and fixed some bugs
10/12/10 - Release

Known Bugs
- None

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q: Can this be used for commercial products / games / apps?
A: Yes feel free to use this in any commercial projects, however please sent me a link from the finished game.

Q: When I open the game maker file it says its not a game maker file.
A: Thats because its a script, you need to import the script.

Q: Does this work with Gamemaker 5.x & 6.x is well?
A: Yes it doesn't matter what version you have, Lite or PRO, you can also download some examples.

Q: I get an Error 21
A: Make sure you execute the script from your game, running mdu.exe by itself wont work.

Q: Does this work with FTP?
A: No it doesn't work with FTP

Q: How do I put updated files into another folder
A: in the "Local File" field add "yourdirectory/yourfile.ext"

Q: How do I log in to the {md} cloud service
A: After signing up, you can log in using your email and password right here

Q: Can I use this with Gamemaker for MAC?
A: The script should work however the updater uses some DLL's which wont work on MAC

Q: I am using GM:Studio
A: Gamemaker Studio is not currently supported, this is due to several issues with the file system GM Studio uses to sandbox its games. Due to those issues files cannot be updated with MDU. Should anybody have any suggestions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Keywords:
game,update,updater,updating,automatic,easy,md,mme,unregistered,free,simple,patcher,patch,mdu,user friendly,web interface,stats,statistics,ftp,cloud,commercial,ini

Edited by mme, 27 October 2013 - 04:51 AM.

gmc_mdu2.pngrsa_gmc_sig.pngbtc_donate.png1MDUsaAbsP2Y22y1UZ7fKJctLAuBjcUMMC

#2 jon sploder

jon sploder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

Great to see this up again MME!

ERROR in
action number 1
of Alarm Event for alarm 0
for object obj_upd:

Cannot execute C:\DOCUME~1\*\LOCALS~1\Temp\gm_ttt_75558\example.exe

In the error log. Is that meant to happen?

EDIT: Very professional website, but it has a few bugs. For instance the green scroll select bar went out of alignment for me.

I think that it would be very handy if we could upload files directly to your site - I couldn't find anywhere to do so (only the site links. So we'd have to upload it to another site with a direct download - are there any free ones with direct download support?)
I'm assuming that this downloads the entire package. If so, would it be able to replace the game file which downloaded it?

Keep up the good work.

Edited by jon sploder, 11 December 2010 - 12:35 AM.

#3 Artaex Media

Artaex Media

Artaex Media

• GMC Member
  • 1531 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:15 AM

Great Job ;)

Currently testing it out with my new project :D

#4 j0nteh

j0nteh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:04 AM

This is absolutely fantastic!
Not a problem, and easy to understand.

Oh and i really appreciate that you took the time to PM me after my problems on the old engine :) .

#5 mme

mme

MME

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

Great Job ;)

Currently testing it out with my new project :D

Thanks, If you have any questions let me know

This is absolutely fantastic!
Not a problem, and easy to understand.

Oh and i really appreciate that you took the time to PM me after my problems on the old engine :) .

Glad this fixes your problem

I think that it would be very handy if we could upload files directly to your site

When I first started to develop the web interface for the updater I did think about doing this and after reading your post I decided to include it. The reason why i did not include it in the first place was the bandwidth and disk space issue. However I have now added a CDN (Content Distribution Network) into the {md} cloud service which should be able to handle all the files and bandwidth.

- mme

Edited by mme, 12 December 2010 - 06:28 PM.

#6 sargunster

sargunster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:30 PM

When I try to upload, I get the following message:

Failed to Authenticate the CDN Server
Please contact MDU Support regarding CDN ERROR "-1"

Also, how do I get the API key?

And, is there a way to add files in bulk?

Edited by sargunster, 14 December 2010 - 10:34 PM.

#7 mme

mme

MME

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

When I try to upload, I get the following message:

Failed to Authenticate the CDN Server
Please contact MDU Support regarding CDN ERROR "-1"

Sorry we had some problems with the CDN Server Node however it has now been fixed and should work.

Also, how do I get the API key?

Once you add files and publish the package you will see the API key displayed at the bottom of the files page in the package.

And, is there a way to add files in bulk?

No not at this moment sorry, I might add this later when demand for it increases.

Hope that helps ^_^

- MD (mme)

#8 jon sploder

jon sploder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:44 AM

Great, but for the editing, could you please include a 'upload' bar? That'd definitely be handy. Ie, I want to edit a file, but there is no 'upload' box so I can reupload the same named file, but with more changes internally. Or is it designed to delete that upload and then reupload an individual file in that package?

#9 mme

mme

MME

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

Great, but for the editing, could you please include a 'upload' bar? That'd definitely be handy. Ie, I want to edit a file, but there is no 'upload' box so I can reupload the same named file, but with more changes internally. Or is it designed to delete that upload and then reupload an individual file in that package?

The package will remain the same after changing the files, just delete the file then make a new one.

Hope that helps ^_^

- MD (mme)

#10 Texic

Texic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 9 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:30 AM

It looks really good, but i have a question, does it download the whole file when updating or can it detect the changes to download?? (the second would be like a dream)

#11 mme

mme

MME

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

It looks really good, but i have a question, does it download the whole file when updating or can it detect the changes to download?? (the second would be like a dream)

It only detects the changes using hash values and downloads those, however with GM exe's its against the EULA to decompile or disassemble the exe and it has a hash check the it runs so I am unable to just patch the missing parts or replace so it will have to download the whole .exe.

Using external files makes this easier on both you and the user.

#12 Yamm

Yamm

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

First, I apologize for my bad English.

I want to install the Updater to the game once a new version is tested. The test will run automatically after each game starts. Unfortunately, there is now such that it performs the test, it closes the game and the player ends up in the updater, even if there is no update.

If I understand correctly, MDU works only on a button and not an automatic query after the start of GM-file. Can I change this somehow?

#13 dhtikna

dhtikna

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

I love this app. You guys deserve money! I would not mind ads to help you out.

When I tried to update it gives me an error:

-starting download

ERROR 99

I just changed the API to my own package which had a EXE file uploaded through your cloud server. Yes, right now it is published. I did change the API code.

pokegen.freefourms.org

#14 mme

mme

MME

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:51 PM

First, I apologize for my bad English.

I want to install the Updater to the game once a new version is tested. The test will run automatically after each game starts. Unfortunately, there is now such that it performs the test, it closes the game and the player ends up in the updater, even if there is no update.

If I understand correctly, MDU works only on a button and not an automatic query after the start of GM-file. Can I change this somehow?

Hi Yamm,

'mdu.exe' checks if there are any new updates that's why it has to be launched first. As shown in the example you can either use a button or have it automatically launch the updater.

Hope that helps ^_^

I love this app. You guys deserve money! I would not mind ads to help you out.

When I tried to update it gives me an error:

-starting download

ERROR 99

I just changed the API to my own package which had a EXE file uploaded through your cloud server. Yes, right now it is published. I did change the API code.

Hi,

Please PM me your API Key so I can investigate further.

Thanks,

MD (mme)

#15 FireProof Games

FireProof Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:35 AM

Hi, Quick question. I just got this:

COMPILATION ERROR in Script: scr_mdu
Error in code at line 1:
   #define scr_mdu
  ^
at position 1: Unexpected symbol.

What is wrong? :(

Nevermind, fixed it. :)

Works Excellently, btw!

Edited by FireProof Games, 14 January 2011 - 03:40 AM.

#16 Artaex Media

Artaex Media

Artaex Media

• GMC Member
  • 1531 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

#define scr_mdu

#define is used to define the script's name. For example when importing a script. Otherwise, you have to remove that code ;)

#17 MudbudGoldfish

MudbudGoldfish

Indie Game Dev Team

• 494 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

WOW! Just what I was looking for!!! THANK YOUPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 Nikc-Nack

Nikc-Nack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2141 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:30 PM

I just created an account and I love the site. And I think the program will work well.
I just have one question, when I'm updating my game, will I need to put a file up with the same name as the last?

EDIT:
Nevermind!
I'm using it, and I'm luvin it!

Edited by Nikc-Nack, 21 January 2011 - 12:42 AM.

Indie is.ME
NNIARFAPTILMTAIK = nikc-nack is a really freakin awsome person that I love more than anyone I know
People say I use "..." too much in my post. I don't understand...
American soldiers do not fight because they hate what is in front of them, but because they love what is behind them
People sleep peaceably in thier beds at night because brave men are willing to do voilence on thier behalf. -George Orwell

#19 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC:Member
  • 2002 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

I have a question.
I am publishing my project with this updater. I created a mock package so I could get the API key. Is the key permanently assigned to that packaged, even if unpublished? Because I find it odd it has to be published for my API key to be available to me.

:duck:

#20 mme

mme

MME

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

I have a question.
I am publishing my project with this updater. I created a mock package so I could get the API key. Is the key permanently assigned to that packaged, even if unpublished? Because I find it odd it has to be published for my API key to be available to me.

Once you create a package the API Key is generated and is permanently assigned to that package even when not published. However when a package is not published the user will get the error 'Invalid API Key' when attempting to update.

Hope that answers your question ^_^

- MD (mme)

#21 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• 2002 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

It does. Thank you. ^_^

Also this is just amazing. I liked the old updater, but having a cloud service makes this so much more simpler. Just amazing. I've always loathed trying to get people aware of updates and forcing them to redownload and extract everything again, especially if its just a bug fix. This will seriously help.

#22 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• 2002 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

Bump for question
I have a 12MB file I want to host (the main exe) using your uploading service, but after I click add file it waits a while then basically looks as if it just refreshes the page.

#23 Artaex Media

Artaex Media

Artaex Media

• GMC Member
  • 1531 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

I have a 12MB file I want to host (the main exe) using your uploading service, but after I click add file it waits a while then basically looks as if it just refreshes the page.

It's called uploading ;)

#24 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• 2002 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

It's called uploading ;)

Don't be so condescending. The file is not added to the package after the refresh.

EDIT: The website seems to have gone into maintenance. I hope it will resolve my troubles :3

EDIT: Nope. My exe still won't be added to the package. Yet a 3kb readme adds fine. A blip in what was otherwise a great MD experience. :/

Scratch that, it appears I can't add anything over 8MB. That really sucks because 8MB won't cut it for most developed games that would require an updater.

Edited by Loaf, 04 February 2011 - 11:05 PM.

#25 mme

mme

MME

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

Scratch that, it appears I can't add anything over 8MB. That really sucks because 8MB won't cut it for most developed games that would require an updater.

I am sorry but the way the CDN currently works will not allow uploads greater than 8MB per file at the moment (also due to other issues) but your game's individual files can be kept under 8MB by using external resources (this would make it easier for your users as well as small updates). There are many extensions / scripts / dll's that can encrypt them (to keep them a bit more secure).

A notice has also been added that the maximum file size is 8 MB. If you have a file greater than 8MB you can upload it to another host and still include it in your package.

Hope that answers your question ^_^

Regards,

mme (MD)

Edited by mme, 05 February 2011 - 12:06 AM.

#26 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• 2002 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:06 AM

A notice has also been added that the maximum file size is 8 MB. If you have a file greater than 8MB you can upload it to another host and still include it in your package.

I've spent all day signing up to crappy hosting services that are full of limits and junk or won't work. Your website refuses to allow things like Google Doc hotlinks because the URL is too long or it won't accept anything without .exe on the end. My program will grow bigger, 8MB is just bleh. While I understand you can't offer anything higher, I think for most people this will be an issue and make the cloud service far more useless when it comes to patching the actual EXE.

#27 phoelich

phoelich

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Hi

I've signed up at the page and all and I can get it to download a file, BUT
can I make it place the file in a folder other than the folder with the updater (mdu.exe)?
This would really help out you see :)

EDIT:
I have tried the "local file" option on the website, but I don't quite understand that function, and if I change it it can't download...
Can you help out? :)

Edited by phoelich, 05 February 2011 - 01:06 PM.

#28 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• 2002 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

Also, can anyone recommend a free hot link file hosting site that works with MD? Preferably one with no download cap or file deletion from inactivity. I can't find a decent one anywhere and the 8MB cloud is not good enough for my needs (no FileDen please).

#29 phoelich

phoelich

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

Dropbox? :)

www.dropbox.com

It has direct links :)

-----------------------

Any answer to my question? :D
I really would like it, because I can move the file, but when it checks for the files it can't see them and download them again.
That's not practical. :/

Edited by phoelich, 06 February 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#30 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• 2002 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

Any answer to my question? :D
I really would like it, because I can move the file, but when it checks for the files it can't see them and download them again.
That's not practical. :/

I just discovered it works like this. If you had game.exe offsite you'd do:

Link: www.mysite.com/downloads/game.exe
Local: game.exe
Md5: 2343242341451werm234 (whatever key you generate)

#31 phoelich

phoelich

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

It was not what I meant.
I wanted the downloader to download the file to a directory instead of its own directory.

#32 j0nteh

j0nteh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

Server unavailable? :o

#33 phoelich

phoelich

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

I can't see the site either...
Server problems?

#34 j0nteh

j0nteh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have no problem viewing the site, however my updater has told me in the past 3 days "Server Unavailable"

#35 Artaex Media

Artaex Media

Artaex Media

• GMC Member
  • 1531 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

http://dfinnema.com/mdu/login.php Works fine...

#36 phoelich

phoelich

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

It works again :D
But is mme going to look on the thread any time soon? Have some unanswered questions .)

#37 j0nteh

j0nteh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

does everyones updaters work fine?

this is mine: Posted Image

#38 mme

mme

MME

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

First of all I apologise for the late reply,

It works again :D
But is mme going to look on the thread any time soon? Have some unanswered questions .)

Been travelling, but here I am ;)

I've spent all day signing up to crappy hosting services that are full of limits and junk or won't work. Your website refuses to allow things like Google Doc hotlinks because the URL is too long or it won't accept anything without .exe on the end. My program will grow bigger, 8MB is just bleh. While I understand you can't offer anything higher, I think for most people this will be an issue and make the cloud service far more useless when it comes to patching the actual EXE.

What you can do is either use something like dropbox or http://easy-upload.nl/ (in dutch but with 50MB per file) Or sign up to a free web host and use that to store your files. I am sorry but I cannot increase this limit.

I have tried the "local file" option on the website, but I don't quite understand that function, and if I change it it can't download...
Can you help out? :)

I have sent you a PM

Server unavailable? :o

I can't see the site either...
Server problems?

I have no problem viewing the site, however my updater has told me in the past 3 days "Server Unavailable"

does everyones updaters work fine?

this is mine: [** ESET SMART SECURITY THREAT REMOVED **] <= Eset detected your screen-shot as a threat.

I have not seen any problems recently. After looking through the cloud logs there has been a slight drop of traffic for the 15th of FEB however I cannot see any problems that could have contributed.
What I have added is a message that will appear inside the updater if your package is not configured properly.

Was the website also down or just the 'Server unavailable' message in the updater?

Thanks,

- MD (mme)

Edited by mme, 16 February 2011 - 04:09 AM.

#39 Fyronarion

Fyronarion

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

how do i put the mdu.exe in the directory? can you help me or pm me?
Posted Image
We make custom maps for users. Please leave a comment on our page for a map request!
Fyronarion-Devoted to Developing

#40 MudbudGoldfish

MudbudGoldfish

Indie Game Dev Team

• 494 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:00 AM

how do i put the mdu.exe in the directory? can you help me or pm me?

click,drag, and drop it into your game directory.......

#41 Needlez01

Needlez01

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

Hello, Your program is exactly what I'm lookg for, but I don't know how to use it :S The instructions in the script don't mean anything to me :S

Edit: Never mind I got it. This is great !!!!

Edited by Needlez01, 08 April 2011 - 02:40 PM.

#42 Happyman2234

Happyman2234

Happy Productions

• GMC Member
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:14 PM

This programme is super awesome!

--But I want to know, if I upload different named files, lets say I upload game_v25, then replace that with game_26, is anything annoying going to happen with the updater? Not that it makes a difference, it just makes life easier...

--Does the same thing happen if I do this with external file holding? Upload v_25, then v_26...You get the idea...

--However, does the Package name depend on what you replace?

Hope you answer those questions Thanks!

HM2234

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
"The meaning of life can only be determined by the individual living it" Quote from learning AI

if I've managed to help you in any way, please click the Green + icon on the bottom-right of this post, thanks :D

#43 mme

mme

MME

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:35 PM

This programme is super awesome!

--But I want to know, if I upload different named files, lets say I upload game_v25, then replace that with game_26, is anything annoying going to happen with the updater? Not that it makes a difference, it just makes life easier...

--Does the same thing happen if I do this with external file holding? Upload v_25, then v_26...You get the idea...

--However, does the Package name depend on what you replace?

Hope you answer those questions Thanks!

As long as the files are in the same package (the same API key) then it does not matter. However if you wish to replace for example game1.exe with game2.exe make sure you name game2.exe local name game1.exe.

Hope that helps,

MD (mme)

#44 Happyman2234

Happyman2234

Happy Productions

• GMC Member
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

Thats epic!
Thank you for making this!

HM2234

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
"The meaning of life can only be determined by the individual living it" Quote from learning AI

if I've managed to help you in any way, please click the Green + icon on the bottom-right of this post, thanks :D

#45 espotgames

espotgames

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:57 AM

this is great! So helpful! Posted Image

#46 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

this is great! So helpful! Posted Image

I know, but I've found a glitch.
I waited for my game to update,when it started flashing white. Windows 7's sign of crashing. But it wasn't.
It was still going and it made the test.

EDIT : I LOVE THIS PROGRAM! I could save my other project!
Okay, little off topic but I has a program and something in the code stopped working. I couldn't find what it was.
With this, I could download the old version, (I always had a hidden source code file) and use it. This program is awesome!

Edited by mrpeanut188, 28 April 2011 - 01:46 PM.

Posted Image

#47 Lightarious

Lightarious

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:05 AM

Having a custom image isn't working, it only has it when its updating, not when its loading, even though I added a custom image on the loading bar thing.

#48 Unsung Hero

Unsung Hero

GMC Member

• 286 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:14 AM

Um...what happens if you forgot your API code?
Sincerely,
The Unsung Hero

Proud supporter of Gang Garrison 2

#49 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:07 AM

Um...what happens if you forgot your API code?

Get a new API, or login to check your code. It lists the API, and the Package contents.
Posted Image

#50 Unsung Hero

Unsung Hero

GMC Member

• 286 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:49 PM

Oh...derp. :lol:
Sincerely,
The Unsung Hero

Proud supporter of Gang Garrison 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users