7 replies to this topic

#1 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:53 PM

Innoquous 4 is now out in full! Please go here for the final topic!

Posted Image
Latest Build: 0.04 | Download (Direct Link: 4.52MB)

Innoquous 4 is the sequel to July 2009's Innoquous 3, and the fourth in the Innoquous series. It will comprise of 75 levels, with five (possibly six if I can think one up) distinct game modes, along with a level editor, speedrun modes and more. It primarily focuses on a twist on the usual puzzle-platforming genre - arrows scattered around levels will switch the direction of the game's gravity. Here's the planned featureset (green = done):

• 75 Levels (60 from Innoquous 1 through 3, some with major edits for variety, 15 new)
  • Standard Mode (just get to the finish!)
  • Conditional Mode (complete each level meeting a unique given criterion - most will be different if the levels were in Innoquous 3)
  • Electric Floors Mode (like Fiery Floors from I3)
  • Time Limit Mode (complete the level within a usually-tight time limit)
  • Treasure Hunt Mode (find a hidden or hard-to-get treasure, perhaps a bunny to go with the recurring theme since I2, and perhaps then needing to finish the level too)
  • Speedrun Modes: five 15-level blocks or all 75 in one go
  • Level Creator (make your own levels)
  • Online Website (create your account, then upload stats for world ranking, levels for sharing/rating/etc with other players)
  • Menu system (I have things in mind, not 100% yet. Will likely have a mock version beforehand)
  • Music (Plan: grab my favourite tracks I've used from my past games in a "retrospective" theme)
  • More SFX than previous games
  • Graphical toggles for weaker or stronger systems
  • .ini based saving (with encryption or otherwise protected) so save data is retained after updates are made - once saving is implemented, progress made in alpha versions will be carriable over to the full game
  • Colourisation of graphics and/or colour variety between levels

If you give the game a go and have a little time to spare to give some feedback, it'd be greatly appreciated. What I'm mainly looking for in terms of answers would be:
  • How fast does the game run (should be 60FPS) - slow/normal?
  • Does the engine feel right (tweaked from I3 to make the game faster and more fluid)
  • Opinions on levels, or ideas for some?
  • Thoughts on the level order, and difficulty curve in general? (note this isn't meant to be a wildly hard game, but it should get tricky towards the end only)
  • Other general feedback

Progress on the game is a little slow, but I'm trundling on with it and the past few days has seen a spike in my activity in making it. I really want it to be worth the effort, which is why your feedback is important to me. Thank-you!

I'll keep this topic as up-to-date as I can, particularly the feature list, with semi-regular builds whenever I have a decent amount done. I'll also endeavour to get file saving and a basic menu system in as soon as I can.

Old downloads
N/A

0.04 (Public) Screenshot
Posted Image

0.03 (Private) Screenshots
Posted Image
Posted Image

0.02 (Private) Screenshot for old time's sake
Posted Image

Edited by NAL, 13 May 2011 - 08:04 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Koron XYZ

Koron XYZ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1470 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:29 AM

The sound effects were a little too loud for me, and it would be nice if there was some mellow background music. Otherwise, I think the game is great and this should definitely be checked out by others!

I especially enjoyed the lighting, vibrant colors, and rolling of the ball the player controls. Keep up the great work!

#3 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:08 AM

you should use model frame animation for the saw blades and auqa colored movers. there were 2 levels that lagged for me because there were so many saw blades or anti gravity movers. d3d_transform functions are slow, looping through an array of models would be faster to draw. other than a couple levels, the game ran full speed, i think.

when i start a level, the beginning shine and sound effect is nice, but it gets really annoying on levels where i have to restart so many times. maybe only do the effect once for that level?

i liked how there would be a real difficult level and then like, 2 super easy "lol" levels that don't really require any effort. it's nice to have a few easy levels thrown in with the real tricky hard ones, as a break.

i didn't say any new obstacles. how about a swinging ball on chain? how about an elemet that turns on and off, like spikes that pop up and down? or just a simple block that turns on and off. how about some blocks that only appear when gravity is facing a specific direction? there aren't any enemies; maybe some easy to kill back and forth goomba type things?

everything is dark. maybe you should brighten the floor up; just a lighter blue. and maybe increase the distance of that d3d point light or add a few more. lighting: you could do something with the lights too. turn them on and off. when the lights are on, you can see certain elements, and when they're off, you can't. i guess the red switch does that already =/

i stopped playing on "level H". it looks impossible, there's too many bullets.

the topic says the file is 2.2 megs, but when i downloaded it, it was 4.5 megs.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#4 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

@Koron XYZ

I'll definitely be balancing the sounds fairly soon (the intro/outro sounds are new and I just threw any old volume at them). Music, as mentioned, will be a mix of tunes from previous games, so there will be some mellow music (a la Innoquous 3) but also some of other genres too. Thanks for your feedback and praise :)

@slayer 64

RE model transformations: I've very little model experience, though I know that if I can make 3D versions of the objects currently drawn with sprites (gears, arrows, an improved version of the movers for sure, and anything else) that'll definitely happen.

RE level starting: Neither the intro sound nor the spinner are intended to appear again when dying, this will definitely be changed from the current always-appearing style. Agreed it's a pain when dying is repeated.

RE new obstacles: The majority of the new levels, and in the future quite a few of the old levels (as part of the renovation process), contain/will contain guns, which are new to Innoquous 4. To try to keep at least a little with the original "innocuous" style, I'm really not wanting to add any form of actual enemy. Blocks/obstacles that are gravity direction-specific are a possibility, though at this point in time I'm really not feeling up to adding any extra levels or logic (I'm not a big fan of level creation). If I do get a burst of inspiration though I won't rule it out, and I could include some special obstacles in the level editor. Will see how things go.

RE darkness: This'll be one of the customisation options - I personally like it as it is, but when it's implemented anybody will be able to tune it exactly how they feel best. Giving lighting (which is currently just in place as an excuse to deactivate things in the dark) an extra use is something I'll look into - never thought about it, but it's a good idea.

RE Level H: It's actually not too hard to complete - you just need to work out the pattern, jump, move to the right (or left) then quickly to the left (or right) at the right time. Lands you straight on the exit. As it looks pretty daunting though, I've pushed it later into the game.

Thank-you for your detailed feedback, it's very helpful. :)

Posted Image

#5 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:45 AM

now that i really look at the graphics and try to copy them; you are just drawing a bunch of floors on top of each other with a sprite. they're not even models?! no wonder it was lagging >_> all that was keeping the game fast was the draw distance, lol. how are you implementing the draw distance? not by adjusting the zfar variable in d3d_set_projection_ext i hope.

i made the movers for you. i created a list for each mover. the list contains models. each mover displays the correct model using a frame variable, similar to how sprites work. no transformations. very efficient ^_^ the lists of models only need to be created at game start.

http://www.host-a.ne...us 4 movers.gmk

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#6 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

now that i really look at the graphics and try to copy them; you are just drawing a bunch of floors on top of each other with a sprite. they're not even models?! no wonder it was lagging >_> all that was keeping the game fast was the draw distance, lol. how are you implementing the draw distance? not by adjusting the zfar variable in d3d_set_projection_ext i hope.

i made the movers for you. i created a list for each mover. the list contains models. each mover displays the correct model using a frame variable, similar to how sprites work. no transformations. very efficient ^_^ the lists of models only need to be created at game start.

http://www.host-a.ne...us 4 movers.gmk

As a 3D novice, I was drawing stuff the only way I really know how - through the inbuilt D3D commands. Nigh on everything's a D3D block. The draw distance is just a point_distance which exits out of drawing if it's out of view.

Thanks for the improved movers, I've implemented the code and marked you down for credit for them, as they're a good help. :)

Posted Image

#7 RedChu

RedChu

Demented Misanthrope

• GMC Elder
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:21 AM

Got some lag spikes at some parts (can't remember where exactly right now).

Pretty good though. A bit easier than I3 was in my opinion, not that that's a bad thing I guess.

#8 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

The plan is to make it a little easier than I3, particularly to start with. Other modes will provide extra difficulty, such as the updated version of I3's "Fiery Floors". I'll also be learning up some more 3D for optimisation, and will of course include graphics options in the full game so everybody can enjoy it as lag free as possible. Thanks for playing and the feedback. :)

Posted Image