Before I reply I just want to let you all know that I am amused that it is getting reviewed as hard/difficult. The reason I am amused is because I thought it was too easy! Especially with the addition of the hover jump
Well, these games have never been billed as easy games so I guess that is good
Anwyays, I uploaded a new demo with the following fixes:
- Apparently I missed a wall in Thistle Man's level. I have fixed that
- Removed the health bar on room transitions
- Slowed HH's climbing speed
- Made enemies darken when they are hit so that you know they are hit
- Removed or moved some enemies that were to difficult to kill with out getting hit. Though you could get by them with out getting hit I can understand the frustration
- Made enemies weaker and quicker to kill. The most HP and enemy has now is 8 HP (previously 16) and that is the big jumper in Sketch Man's Stage
- Sped up HH's animation from 0.17 to 0.3.
- Added a shooting animation when HH is still
- There was a horrific jump in Sketch Man's stage. I have made it a little bigger so it isn't so difficult
- Made the option for stronger enemies a little different
Onwards to the replies!
Hey Damaged! Glad to see you still active!
Hard hat is back! I admire your dedication to the series.
Glad you still using the sprites I made for you back then.
It would be nice if the helicopter jump (or how its called) would cancel itself if you let go of the jump button. Sometimes you don't want the full duration.
The health bar shouldn't be visible when the level transition is taking place.
I would increase the moving animation speed. To make it look like he's actually running.
How about adding a shooting effect? Like a flash or something when the bullet is created. Now it's like the bullet appears out of nothing.
It would be nice if the enemies would flash when you damage them. Now its kinda hard to figure whether you do or not. Just drawing the same sprite over the original with bm_add would do the trick.
Keep up the great work, Nick.
Of course I would use those sprites again, they work perfectly! This will be the last game in the series as I want to make something "original" but I felt I needed to end it after I left it so very open at the end of the 3rd game.
That is very true that you wouldn't want the full duration but that is by design actually. There are a few jumps (Thistle Man and Trap Man levels to be specific) that are design around the fact that you have the full duration. It's part of the challenge.
So, I know what you are saying but I chose to do it this way to add to the difficulty.
Good point. It is no longer persistent and is created after the room
I upped the animation from 0.17 to 0.3. Any faster looks strange @_@
I have given him a still shot animation but that is all I will do. MM never had a flash and Metool's didn't either. So I am trying to keep with tradition on this
Hmmm, that made everything white. A good thing to know for the future but I couldn't make it work on the sprites alone. So I went in the opposite direction and darkened them instead when then are hit.
Another Hard Hat? Yay! Downloading and trying now... will edit in a while!
EDIT: Game Over! ... I had forgotten how brutally hard they were... This is going to take some practice!
Yeah, they are not billed as "Easy" Hat
Okay, here's what I thought :3
- The healthbar in the transition was a little annoying, needs to be fixed
- Cant tell when you kill enemies. I just spam, but it'd be nice if they flashed
- Not all level parts are possible without getting hit due to enemies with armour. It's bad level design, and annoying for the player
- Going down ladders... idk. Didn't feel right. He goes down really fast at first, and then goes slower. Might just be the transition
I agree with you on the health bar so I have fixed that. It is no longer persistent and is created when the new room is fully created. As for the enemies, I have darkened them when they are hit so that you are aware of them being hit. I have also weakened them. As for the ladders, I have slowed him down a bit to match his transition speed
To the contrary you can indeed get by without taking a hit. I know which points you speak of and they were very hard to get past but it was possible. I have made adjustments accordingly
- The new flying is awesome
- I really like the use of the new sprites + the new movement speed makes it easier to speedrun through areas
- Lots of new enemies is good, although most of the armoured ones have too many hitpoints, so you waste alot of time killing them. Easier to just run through (shouldn't be the case)
- The new games modes are really cool
- Jumps that require copter need to be marked or something. Alot of the borderline jumps you attempt to do without the copter, and when you fail you can never get enough vertical thrust to just make it over the ledge. Just a little annoying not being able to differentiate the distance all the time...
Why thank you! I do like the hovering a lot actually and it opened up many possible design points (specifically for the Wily Levels). I have lowered the HP for all the enemies. It shouldn't be as much of a head ache now. Thank you! I like the game options.
As for the jumping part I disagree about having something tell you what to do. That is the fun of playing. If the game just told you how to do something it wouldn't be very fun me thinks
All in all, excellent WIP. Transitions need a little cleaning though.
Thank you very much! I hope the slightly modified WIP is a little cleaner.
Oh! And Damaged!
What happened to Miner/Construction Joe? I remember him being in the last demo, but couldnt find him! D:
I HATED HIM! *RAGE* His stupid pick axe always got stuck in the floors/ceilings/walls and they drove me nuts! *breathes*
Hooboy, balls to the walls difficulty is back.
and you are welcome. I am glad Blaze gal gets to be at newest Hard hat game.
She was a lot of fun to make actually. I like how she jumps *nods*