• 21214 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image
by

EanFox

Topic : http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=491028
DOWNLOAD (zip) : http://www.solidfile...m/d/5f645245f3/

Before starting this review, a word of warning - the game file for Project Aurora is 110MB! Now that may not seem very big, but for a GM game it´s huge and I know that this may make many potential players not download. Don´t be put off by this, and download the game... NOW! Why? Well, this is the closest thing to a professional 3D game made entirely with GML (no dll´s, like Ogre3D were used in this game) that I have ever seen. It´s also fun, stylish, beautifully made and an overall class act.

Posted Image

Once you load the game you get a rather sparse title screen that has an options button and a play button. The options are fine and give you a certain control over the mouse and the graphics, but are missing a volume control for the music and sound effects, as well the ability to map the keys as you wish. This is a shame, but doesn´t really spoil the game as the default keys are your standard WASD+mouse for moving and looking, with shift for run, control for crouch and space for jumping, so anyone used to playing FPS should have no problems. Okay, time to press that game button and start playing!

The game starts with a nice video introduction (game graphics) that roll the credits while setting the scene, then, once past that, we are introduced to the "Helper", a floating drone that is to guide you through this first stage of the game. He tells you who you are (Shade) and explains that this is a training session before you go to see someone called Dr.Ean - and so begins a stage that is basically a tutorial to get the player used to the mechanics of playing and give them a feel for the world in which Shade lives. This is where my jaw started to drop and my eyes started to open wider and wider... The game is beautiful! yes, the models are all low poly, and the textures are low-res, but it all works really well together and the animations are exceptionally fluid and well programmed. Even Shade´s tale twitches and her hands open and close when you don´t move! Details like that show the love and care put into the game...

Posted Image

As for the gameplay, well, think of a sci-fi Tomb Raider and you won´t be far from the mark. In fact, as I played I kept remembering the glory days of Lara on the original PlayStation... this game is that well made! Your character has a pretty big repertoire of moves that range from the usual running and jumping to wall climbing and ledge walking, all of which you will need to master if you wish to pass through each section without dying and having to start the level again. There is a also a fair amount of combat in the game and it is split into two main styles - close combat with a sword(?!) and ranged combat with guns. The sword fighting is well done with some nice animations and the controls are very responsive, but it can be easy to spam certain attacks and pass enemies too easily, which is a shame but thankfully it doesn´t spoil the experience too much. As for the guns, they can be used to destroy the enemy but they can also serve to destroy certain things in the environment and so give you a tactical advantage or take out multiple enemies in one go, and there is also a first person mode that can be used to help with aiming, which is nice touch.

Posted Image

The level design is great, although the levels are on the small side, and the story is good, with enough depth to keep the player interested as they go through the game. I also felt that the story was helped a lot by the music which throughout is VERY good and adds perfectly to the atmosphere of the game, and the sound effects are almost all perfect at all times too. I should give a special mention here to the voice acting which is great and rarely done on any GM made game, let alone done as well as it is here. Again, professionalism and style, the two main ingredients of this title! Are there any negatives to this? Well, there are a couple of things... the most important of which is that the game as a whole is way too short! I would have like it to be at least twice as big, but you can´t have everything... I also didn´t like the fact that sometimes the music seemed too loud and there is no volume control in-game, and the sound Shade makes when jumping (Serena Williams-like?) can get quite annoying! I´d also complain a little about the end boss-battle, which is just a bit too long, and the fact the game itself is just a bit too easy... but that is just nit-picking! Honestly, the game is nearly flawless...

To sum up, this game is incredible... It deserves to be ranked up there with the greats of GM programming and is certainly one of the best (if not THE best) 3D games ever made with GM. It is visually stunning, has a fantastic sound-track, is great fun to play and the overall presentation is extremely professional... so really there is no excuse for anyone not to play this! None! So download it, play it and say "thank you!" to EanFox for dedicating two years of his life in making this gem of a game.

#2 B Factory LLC

B Factory LLC

We're awesome!!

• 511 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:52 PM

Your right, this game is wonderfull - however, there are no checkpoints. If you die, you have to do it all over again. That's a big put-down for me. Overall, it is good, though.

#3 Schyler

Schyler

Noskcirderf Derf

• GMC Member
  • 2677 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:25 AM

It's really a beautiful game. I'd watched it in its development, but nobody told me that it had been released.

The boss combat is a bit dissapointing, however.

#4 quick12

quick12

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 120 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:46 AM

so really there is no excuse for anyone not to play this! None!

Except for the 110 MB filesize. Not everyone has super-fast internet, you know. This would take a few HOURS to download for someone on dial-up. I have fast enough internet that I can download it fast enough, but those who have dial-up DO have an excuse.

Other than that, great review. I intend to download the game.

#5 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:04 AM

Your right, this game is wonderfull - however, there are no checkpoints. If you die, you have to do it all over again. That's a big put-down for me. Overall, it is good, though.

Strange, I have a saved game. Did you extract it?

#6 Hach-Que

Hach-Que

RoketGames Admin

• 1490 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

The game saves after each chapter (designated by a loading screen). In order to restore to the last chapter you played, you simply load the game.

There is a patch coming out shortly that fixes this, amongst other things.

Edited by Hach-Que, 16 December 2010 - 09:33 AM.

#7 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

yeah this is the best 3D GM game I have ever played to date.

#8 newkill

newkill

Silver Sword Games

• GMC Member
  • 1244 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:10 AM

This is an awesome game, I hope the creator keep up the good work!

(it's the third time I post a reply here because the previous one were deleted without a reason. if anyone delete this post, please tell me why in a PM)

Edited by newkill, 19 December 2010 - 06:11 AM.

#9 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:54 PM

This truly does look like a professional grade game.

#10 varuks

varuks

GMC Member

• 982 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

WOW! I can't believe this! I actually PERSONALLY KNOW the guy who made "The best 3D game" on the gmc!

#11 GPro

GPro

Gun Powder Games

• GMC Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

He should release a tutorial on how to make something like this :D!

#12 Madidus

Madidus

GMC Member

• 43 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

This would take a few HOURS to download for someone on dial-up.

Is dial-up even around anymore? Thought it died ten years ago.

As for the game: This is a beautifully crafted masterpiece! ::lmao::

#13 njp

njp

Panda

• GMC Member
  • 2342 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

this reminds me of that online lego supersonic shockwave game, anyways this is very nice, i might download it when im not tethering my iphone xP

#14 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Wonderfull, PURE wonder ! :P
I love the Style! It seems you've put a huge Work on this! Congratulation :)
The 110 MB file makes me SEEK

Edited by The Scorpion, 24 January 2011 - 05:55 PM.

#15 Brawl

Brawl

Magnitude Games

• Local Moderators
  • 1285 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

Sorry for the bumping of a long dead topic, but I'd quite like to download this game. Are there any working links, as the two in the OP both lead to sites where the file has been deleted.

#16 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21214 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

ProjectAurora.zip

Try that one...

#17 Brawl

Brawl

Magnitude Games

• Local Moderators
  • 1285 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

ProjectAurora.zip

Try that one...

Lovely! Thank you, it works.

#18 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21214 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

Excellent! Took me time to track down the file, but it's well worth it as it is a fine game...

#19 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hello! This is probably my first post in years on this forum since I released the game here.

Why I've been gone? Well... I left Game Maker.
Not that Game Maker is terrible or anything, but it was limiting most of my work. (If you want more details - I used to rant about how GM could be better over and over again)

For those who still might be interested, I am no longer working on this game. I think I promised a new major release with improved graphics, animation and so on, but it ended up being just something I continued building in another program.

I actually managed to even get sort-of skeletal animation in GM, with inverse kinematics, full procedural animation, dual-wielding and more, but GM just isn't good for this kind of stuff.

If you are interested in my current and future projects, you can check out My YouTube channel or Our Website (It's still in progress, and it has got almost none of my content yet)

As a quick "Show-Off", here's a a trailer/tech demo video of my current project "Eternal", which is in some ways a remake of Project Aurora, but mostly a completely new title:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvOHMjwU1HM
And if You're interested, here's the first (And possibly only) public tech demo (It's still extremely early, though):
http://www.mediafire...6lhtdxjn7t3gnqd

Now, I know this possibly looks like a spam post or something, possibly just me being a jerk and showing stuff of kind of off-topic nature, but basically I just wanted everyone (Who still cares) here to know, that I've moved on, and if you're interested, you can follow my future work in other places. I'll probably visit GMC once in a while, perhaps release that unfinished future Project Aurora prototype, that I cancelled one day, but overall, I'm a U3D Javascript coder and Blender-er now.

Best luck with your Game Maker projects everyone! Have fun! :)

#20 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Ummm..... Wasn't that one Google and Adobe hack called Project Aurora?
http://www.wired.com...eration-aurora/

#21 Asurd

Asurd

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:40 AM

This game is a great example of what GM can do in the hands of skilled people. The best thing about this game is that it is very smooth.
Great job EanFox for creating such a game and great job Nocturne for letting many of the people know about this game. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dastan Shadow, 12 August 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#22 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hey guys!
Sorry I can't give you an update, but I hope a video of what-could-have-been will be enough for now.

I hope this doesn't look like teasing, but more like an answer for those who still happen to wonder what happaned with that unreleased update.
Hope you like the video! I am not sure how much faster GM is at the moment with all the new versions coming out and whatnot, but I hope this still looks as impressive as I thought it would've been when I spent nights working on this.

Enjoy!

#23 Zarainia

Zarainia

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

I downloaded it and the game told me it was corrupted...?

#24 darkwalker247

darkwalker247

Fox

• GMC Member
  • 1874 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

It works for me. Your download probably corrupted somewhere, it's such a big download.

(One of my favorite GM games, by the way!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users