• 1169 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

Clean Asia by Cactus
as reviewed by Banov

Links:
YoYoGames - http://www.yoyogames.com/games/2358
Dev Website - http://www.cactusquid.com/

Cactus (for those of you who are unaware) is one of the premier indie game developers of our time, and among the most well known Game Maker developers today. People who use Game Maker should probably in some way thank Cactus, who was among the first to put out some of the seriously good games that helped Game Maker "break out" into the larger indie scene. He's known for trippy, funny action games with unique visual styles and challenging gameplay. Clean Asia represents the epitome of this design, and is widely considered Cactus' best work.

Posted Image

The story is that all of humanity's eyeballs have betrayed their masters, fleeing into space and returning with spaceships that they use to terrorize the continent of Asia. There are only two humans left who can combat them because of their powerful sixth sense, and each one has a custom built ship.

Gameplay in Clean Asia is all about debris--as you destroy enemy ships, piece by piece, bits of debris fly off which you can utilize in your continuing assault. Each ship uses the debris differently. The Attractor pulls debris in like a magnet when you hold down the X button, surrounding itself in a cloud of enemy ship bits; by pressing Z it can fire off the debris piece by piece, or by releasing X it can release all of its debris at once for a devastating blast. When it has no debris, it's only method of attack is a "dash" move which it can use to break apart the enemy ship. It can also pick up and use the guns some enemies drop. The Reflector plays a little more conventionally; it absorbs debris automatically and uses it as a source of power for various typical shooter mechanics like a regular shot, charge shot, and even a shield and a bomb. Each ship plays differently enough that going through the same level once with each ship feels like a totally different level.

The levels themselves consist mostly of a series of bosses, each with a unique bullet pattern and shape. There are 3 levels: Thailand, New Korea, and China, each with a very different set of enemies. The most unique one is China, which provides you with a constant stream of empowering debris form the bottom oft he screen, but pits you against the highest bullet count in the game with enemies whose shots go half for you and half for the machines that support you with debris. It's worth noting that this game is hard. Crazy hard. You will die a lot the first time you play this game. Players who rise to the challenge and get to the end of a level are presented with a score screen that gives you the time you spent on each enemy, giving you a score to beat.

Posted Image

Playing Clean Asia, you can get a real sense of power; you start off with no debris, fending off enemies, but as you break apart bosses and use their debris to attack them, your collection of debris gets larger and larger until your every shot practically annihilates a boss. But no matter how huge your debris collection is, you're always one shot away for dying and going back to 0. In each level you're given 3 lives, and when you run out it's game over and you're sent back to the title screen. My one complaint for this game would have to be that restarting a level is a bit tedious, since there's no simple restarting option; every time you lose, you have to go through the title screen, character select, and level select again to play. It's a minor user interface fault in an otherwise pristine game.

Gameplay aside, the game is a visual/audio masterpiece with a cool thumping set of atmospheric tunes and bright, mesmerizing neon vector graphics. There's no shortage of eye candy while you play with colorful explosions and a constantly changing background; players can really appreciate the attention to visual detail Cactus worked in. The game was a finalist in the 2008 Indie Games Festival awards for "Excellence In Visual Arts" and "Excellence in Audio," and anyone who plays can see why.

If you enjoy this game you'll almost certainly love the other works Cactus, which you can find on his site. He's one of the more prolific developers today so for fans of Cactus there's never any shortage of new games and gameplay to try out.

Edited by banov, 03 December 2010 - 12:38 AM.

#2 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7521 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:37 AM

players can really appreciate the attention to visual detail Cactus worked in.

Appreciate or be annoyed of? In a few of his games (including this one) at times the visual sensations can get a bit much, explosions can really get in the way of what you're seeing (bullets, yourself) and can hinder the gameplay, atleast, in my opinion.

#3 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• Retired Staff
  • 15413 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:52 AM

Legendary as in no one I know has figureed it out. and die in 5 seconds. Legendary as his style is to piss the player off.

#4 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7521 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

Hey, I eventually beat the first level. And that's saying something.

Edited by makerofthegames, 03 December 2010 - 08:01 AM.

#5 gmx0

gmx0

The Messenger

• GMC Member
  • 1189 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

I beat the Korea level.
Wow, I didnt know that was the story(eyeballs rebelling). It wasnt very obvious.

#6 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2331 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

...When you can't tell enemies from the background, that is a bad thing...

#7 Soviet Onion

Soviet Onion

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

I love this game, and although I have finished it (with the reflector), it is still a challenge, and I still haven't been able to finish with the attractor.

@Weckar
damn, i lose the game

#8 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2673 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

I felt like I was trying to kill a firework... wait... there was a storyline!?! :blink:

#9 zarley11

zarley11

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:22 AM

Nobody knew there was a storyline, now thats saying something...

#10 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7521 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

About our ability to read cursive, or cactus's ability to tell a story?

#11 varuks

varuks

GMC Member

• 982 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

I marvel at Cactuses ability to control your minds into ranting!

#12 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

wow i'm surprised at you guys.I would have thought that you would apreciate the games of CACTUS THE GOD OF ALL INDIE GAMES ESPECIALLY ONES MADE IN GAMEMAKER more.Especially since this is Clean Aisia THE GREATEST GAME IN THE UNIVERSE we are talking about here.

#13 vertex67

vertex67

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:17 AM

This game is great. I never played it until the mac version was released. Its hard, but so addictive.
My only complaint is that it is hard to see your ship when surrounded by debris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users