#1 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:03 AM

Posted Image

This is the final official release of Project Aurora ( You can see the beta version here ).
It took nearly two years to finish this game, however, it is quite short. I still hope you will enjoy this game just as much ( or maybe even more ) as I enjoyed working on it!

This year I entered a contest called called BRSD2 ( you can find it here, but it is all in Latvian, so you may not understand a word. ) with Project Aurora and got the First Place on December 3th!
Thanks to anyone who voted!

Screenshots: ( Click to enlarge )

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Videos:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=odjAhS-J3Uc

• Category: 3D Action Adventure
  • File Size: 110 MB
  • GM Version: GM7
  • Vista Compatible: Yes ( Probably works on Windows 7, too )
  • Changes Screen Resolution: No
  • Current release Version: 1.0
  • Download Links:
    http://www.gamedev.lv/hosting/CloverGruff/BRSDRelease.rar ( From the BRSD2 site )
    Mirror (zip): http://www.filefactory.com/file/b459g7h/n/BRSDReleaseZIP.zip

Stay tuned for future updates!

Thanks and leave a comment!

Edited by EanFox, 28 May 2011 - 09:52 PM.

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason.
Science will win because it works." -Stephen Hawking

#2 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:11 AM

Could you please inclue a .zip? Many people don't have a .rar extractor, myself included. Thanks.

#3 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:55 AM

Could you please inclue a .zip? Many people don't have a .rar extractor, myself included. Thanks.

Ok, done. The mirror might not be the best, but it is most probably faster than the previous one.
Thanks!

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason.

#4 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

OK, downloading and reviewing while playing. I hope that's alright.

From the get-go, I hate the file hoster. Try switching to dropbox or box.net.

-Didn't realize how big this download is. It's huge! It best be worth it. It looks promising.

-After around a half an hour, it finally finished. Extracting...

-w00t! In the game! Looks awesome.

-I'm loving the graphic style, low-poly models have never looked so nice.

-Wow. Everything, is pristine. I love it!!!

The level design is phenomenal. This is my favorite Game Maker-made game.The move set of the player is perfect, easy to master, and I keep finding new things to do. It is really, really, really fun. I cannot believe this isn't commercial!

I haven't finished, but I will very soon. I love this game. I've been experimenting with 3D lately, and this inspired me to make something great, even if not as good. If I may ask one thing, how did you get the animations? That's all, thanks.

Good luck in future game design. You really ought to sell this game... Anyway, it's amazing.

#5 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

Wow I am impressed! The game has come so far! Great Job!

#6 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

Nice game.
I got several questions,
Posted Image
I think I was not supposed to make the boss get stuck in wall... or not?
Posted Image
Item glow is visible through the walls. That is sure a nice effect, but looks kinda strange.
Posted Image
Again, itemglow. And dam', because healthpack is inside of solid.
Posted Image
Perhaps nothing serious, but the region where two surfaces blend is 'glitchy'.

Can you add possibility to scroll weapons with mousewheel?

And is it good that perfect tactic of defeating anything in game is running around it while either shooting or slashing?
If my posts contain broken links, try looking around my website. I gradually make blog posts for any examples I make.
_.png_.gif

#7 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

I've been experimenting with 3D lately, and this inspired me to make something great, even if not as good. If I may ask one thing, how did you get the animations? That's all, thanks.

Good luck in future game design. You really ought to sell this game... Anyway, it's amazing.

I made the animations myself... what else can I say? haha. Well, basically the animations are Frame based, just like most games with 2d sprites do animations, but I use 3d models instead of sprites.
Good luck with your future projects and thanks for the positives!

Nice game.

Thanks!

I got several questions,

Ok...

I think I was not supposed to make the boss get stuck in wall... or not?

Nope, it's a glitch. I couldn't fix it in time. See, I entered a contest with this game, and I simply ran out of time, so I had to rush it in the end,
and didn't have time to fix bugs like this one.

Item glow is visible through the walls. That is sure a nice effect, but looks kinda strange.

The effect is meant to make the items look more visible and stand out. It wasn't supposed to be seen through other objects, but you could say they are now "Easier to Spot". But again, I didn't have much time to finish everything, sorry.

Again, itemglow. And dam', because healthpack is inside of solid.

Yeah, this part was rushed, a lot. But after December you'll get the new patch - this problem will be fixed. If you'll want to play it again that is, haha.

Perhaps nothing serious, but the region where two surfaces blend is 'glitchy'.

Yeah, I made the final boss part literally in one night, about 3-4 hours. It was extremely rushed for the deadline. I have already fixed this bug in the new patch,
but I cannot release it, because the contest doesn't allow it. But like I said, it will be out on december!

Can you add possibility to scroll weapons with mousewheel?

This is one of the things I really wanted to put in, but somehow always forgot to.
I'll see what I can do about that in the patch.

And is it good that perfect tactic of defeating anything in game is running around it while either shooting or slashing?

Well... you know. It was rushed, haha. But yeah, I totally agree on this one, the combat could have been better. I might work on this a bit more in the future however.

Anyway, thanks!

#8 Haunted-toilet

Haunted-toilet

GMC Member

• 90 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:07 AM

fantastic game! graphics/sound/gamplay/interface ALL AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this game looks as though it has bn worked on for years!

although... it was very short... i acctually thought that the final boss was the first story boss. (technically it is the only boss relevnt to the story line) maybe in the next version you could make it longer?

....and.....

oh yeah!

during the final boss i got quite bored circling around the boss and shooting its hands for 10 minutes, and dodging the same attack over and over. Maybe you could make the final boss a bit more exciting by adding in different attacks and techniques that the boss uses?

anyway, i loved this game, it was truly great!

#9 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

best 3D gm game I ever played. The music was to punch for. lol.

LOL my mouse moving so fast actually gave me adrenaline while playing.

w00t w00t

I am glad this game is finalyl complete

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#10 Water Chicken

Water Chicken

Got it memorized?

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

The best 3D game I've ever played on here. The graphics, sound fx, music were very good. It's almost like a remake of Tomb Raider Posted Image. Although the combat was a little odd. But a great game. 8/10

Edited by Emanrice, 25 November 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#11 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:07 AM

Where's the Mac love?

I'd love to see this on the Mac. :)

#12 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

Where's the Mac love?

I'd love to see this on the Mac. :)

Actually I would love to see this on a Mac as well as the Iphone, but my idea of making the Iphone version was quickly killed off once I saw that most features from YoYoGames ( including the 3d support ) ware just not there yet. And I simply cannot efford a Mac at the moment. It seems that my biggest problem really is the lack of resources.

Thanks!

#13 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:28 AM

Looks nice!
Kinda "Virtual-On" art-style.
Surprised more people don't go for this kinda flat shaded poly style or other "simple/stylized" styles more often.

Just curious: are ya using GMs native 3D or a .dll?

You mention iPhone porting...
I'm sure that *GMs native* 3D support for iPhone will come in time, just be patient...
(unless you're using a .dll, in which case, forget it).

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#14 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

Looks nice!
Kinda "Virtual-On" art-style.
Surprised more people don't go for this kinda flat shaded poly style or other "simple/stylized" styles more often.

Just curious: are ya using GMs native 3D or a .dll?

You mention iPhone porting...
I'm sure that *GMs native* 3D support for iPhone will come in time, just be patient...
(unless you're using a .dll, in which case, forget it).

Thanks!
And no, there are no graphics DLL's used - there's no need for those here.
The is only one DLL extension used for better music handling, so I could pause the music at the pause menu, and fade it out or in at certain places.

It's, however, kinda sad that GM is so limited, it's mp3/ogg support is horrible, you can't even loop or start playing them without a little freeze of 0.5 seconds.
I am kinda disappointed actually, instead of working on all kinds of ports for other systems, the YoYoGames guys could improve the GM engine, making it really fast and up-to-date by adding very useful features, like mipmapping or fast post processing support. Perhaps a faster model handling and skeletal animation. All I'm asking is make GM faster and give it at least some basic standart features.

There's not that much they should improve however, but I'm sure that if they would think about it more, Game Maker 9.0 might be at the same tech level, as let's say, an updated Quake 3 engine with shader support - That would already be really helpful, because in this case you wouldn't have to waste 200 mb only for the character animations - like in my game...

...anyway, thanks!

#15 ChaoticMethods

ChaoticMethods

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

Very slow on my computer. What I was able to play looked really good, though.

#16 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

I am still unable to beat the last boss.
WARNING SPOILER

I keep getting owned after I knock off both arms

2h2fg3c.png

#17 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

Astounding game... One of the best Ive played! So good in fact that I have reviewed it HERE.

Good job!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#18 B Factory LLC

B Factory LLC

We're awesome!!

• 511 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

This is a great game... but you need to add checkpoints. Every time you die, you have to start all over again.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not

appreciate your neutrality.

Posted Image

Anti-Wikileaks Bill introduced in US Congress! (When the giant is mad, it hits hard...)

"So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause." - Padme

"The ruling class has the schools and press under its thumb. This enables it to sway the emotions of the masses." - Albert Einstein

Please check out my blog: My link

#19 Schyler

Schyler

Noskcirderf Derf

• GMC Member
  • 2680 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:24 AM

A M A Z I N G.

The combat was a little shallow. You need some weaker (more interesting) enemies. Also the difficulty factor on the lava part (I walked right into it first time around) is a little high. The bot guy needs to tell you its there before you walk right into it. Once you know its there, its easy enough to grapple the wall around it.

The boss I didn't figure out. I tried hitting him everywhere with the gun, and it didnt seem to work. With the sword, I was able to damage him, but I got annihalated in like 2 hits. \:

Is there a machine gun? I couldn't find it.

#20 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

I have good news, and some really good news!

I Won the contest!

Thats right! Thanks to anyone who voted for me!

You can see more detailed view on this Here

Title: Project Aurora
Rating: 4.79221/5
Votes: 77

Heres a little Trailer/Preview video:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=odjAhS-J3Uc
I couldn't make it to the ending ceremony, because I was sick. Instead, I made this video for them to show.
The funny part is that they didn't actually show it, even though I spent the whole night until 4AM on this.
Enjoy!

The other good news is, Im planning a major update.
It will basically get rid of some nasty bugs, will correct some things, add more features to the options menu ( like other resolutions or toggling texture filtering ),
add the real ending and basically just finish the game the way it was intended to.

Thanks, and leave a comment!

Edited by EanFox, 29 May 2011 - 02:37 PM.

#21 newkill

newkill

Silver Sword Games

• GMC Member
  • 1248 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

That's an awesome GM creation you made there ;)
For the flaws, I think they have already been said and that you will take some time to fix them as you said.
Congratsfor the 1st prize and continue your good work ;)

#22 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

opening in 8 minutes my browser says! :)
It better be good :@

Edited by Ruub, 13 December 2010 - 11:31 AM.

#23 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:40 PM

oh it is bro

2h2fg3c.png

#24 Haunted-toilet

Haunted-toilet

GMC Member

• 90 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

just a question of pure interest, but what was the program that you used to create the models for this game?

#25 pure_evil020

pure_evil020

GMC Member

• 1479 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:19 AM

Ok maybe I'm blind or something, but I can't see wtf I'm supposed to do once I get into this first room where I get the first weapon....
I want to play on... but I have looked around at everything in this room, and can't find anything else to do in here, and I can't leave...
So wtf am I supposed to do??? Anyone?? :blink:

Ok, so I figured it out, I had to shoot all of those things on the wall... shame I only figured this out by randomly shooting everywhere...
It doesn't really make sense that you need to shoot random objects of no significance, on the wall to allow me to move on.

EDIT: Ok so I've played it for a little while, and I gotta say, I've very impressed with how smooth this game is.
Its a shame you can't take this game back in time to the 80's/90's, because this game would OWN back then.
However, it still is a fun game to play, even though the graphics aren't great compared to any modern day game.
Graphics aren't all that matters, as we all know :)

P.S. The reason I stopped playing, was because I got sick of having to play an entire level over again, after dieing at the end of it...
There should be some kind of checkpoint system implemented here, AT LEAST before boss areas, so if you die at a boss, you don't have to repeat the entire level again.

Very good work!
You could be making money off this game ;)
9/10

Edited by pure_evil020, 03 January 2011 - 07:44 AM.

Posted Image
Software, malware, and file removal program.

#26 Toadsanime

Toadsanime

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

As I've already mentioned to you, the game is amazing. I've always adored this PS1-esque style of graphics, and the game itself is simply brilliant. Looking forward to any updates.

#27 Haunted-toilet

Haunted-toilet

GMC Member

• 90 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:53 AM

Ok, so I figured it out, I had to shoot all of those things on the wall... shame I only figured this out by randomly shooting everywhere...
It doesn't really make sense that you need to shoot random objects of no significance, on the wall to allow me to move on.

in my opinion, the targets on the walls were very visible and because they were red, they looked quite unique to the rest of the blue and gray room. Obviously, one would asume, "I just got a new weapon and these unique entities that look like targets have just appeared infront of me, i must have to shoot them." but then again, I usualy shoot anything that stands out from the rest of the other scenery.

This is just my opinion. im sure other people may have had difiulty trying to work out what to do in this area aswell.

#28 GPro

GPro

Gun Powder Games

• GMC Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

iy works awesome with windows 7 ;)
Gun Powder Games leader

Join our crew here!

Top Down A.I. Example | RPG Combat System | Level Up System | Shield Example

#29 top hunter7

top hunter7

GMC Member

• 1043 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

This game looks very good. Downloading at the minute, will edit when done :)

Posted Image

#30 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

Wonderfull, PURE wonder !
I love the Style! It seems you've put a huge Work on this! Congratulation
The 110 MB file makes me SEEK
SE3, 3D model, animation and scene maker. link
Blender/3DMAX7 Animations to GM link
3D Animation 3Dmax11 to GameMaker link

#31 2d_games

2d_games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1504 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

Love the game. Aside from the bugs mentioned I really think it needs a checkpoint system. Restarting a level after dieing is tedious. :/

#32 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hey everyone! Sorry for not replying and releasing the new update for a long time already, but it's coming!
I must say the update isn't here just yet, but I do have a new trailer video here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XJPm1djNZ6I

There are some big changes being made to the actual game, so instead of being just an update, not only it's going to look a bit different, it's going to sound and play different. Thanks to Archo, the game is going to have it's own original soundtrack, as well as it's own theme.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Pst-wWeZ0V0

On top of that, you can expect a completely redone combat system along with some new moves to use for both platforming and fighting.

There are a lot of other things that I probably don't need to talk about in detail just yet.

I hope you're still interested, and if so - stay tuned and thanks!

Edited by EanFox, 20 February 2011 - 02:46 PM.