• Version:Unknown

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

SMART BOT!

Download SmartBot_GMC_test.zip
(Older, Big version, for PC windows + Level editor]
LATEST, Iphone version
Link
( few bug-fixes, no Level editor)

Hey hey, so I'm finally starting a topic for my latest project.
It's a logic puzzle, where you guide your robot through a maze of pain(catchy, huh?) to try to get to the level exit, which is a rather insipid looking blue flashy thing. I'm working on that!
Screenshot[slighly old]:
Posted Image

Have fun with the puzzles! They are HARD! Also, the Level editor is good fun. :D
Not all the levels are complete, so if you try play, say, level 45, your going to get an error. That's o.k. Just play the early levels for now.

CONTROLS:
You mouse to click, or use arrow keys.

Important!
Anyway, the main reason I'm releasing this version is because I'm devving an iphone version of this game, and would Loooooveee to see some levels from you guys in it!
Here's a screenshot of the iPhone version:
Posted Image

Now, the Level Editor in this obviously makes levels which are... bigger than my iphone version. So how will that help me? Well, simple solution is make the levels in a small 'portion' of the Level editor. If you look in the folder, you'll see a level called 'Iphone base' or something like that. Load it up, and you'll see I've portioned off the room, so you can make levels that way.

Anyway, have fun guys!
Edit:
Oh, and please try not to add the moving, enemy robots to levels, if you can help it. They probably aren't a good idea for this sort of game.

Edited by Desert Dog, 03 December 2010 - 10:10 PM.

#2 Aragon1029

Aragon1029

GMC Member

• 940 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:13 PM

Is it bad I heard an Indian accent when reading everything the Professor said?
It's a pretty fun puzzle game, I haven't found any bugs in it so far.

The stuff with the mirror is fun, I didn't pay attention and kept dying.

Good work.

#3 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

LOL!. Haha, yeah, I don't think the iphone version will have those 'portraits'... They're just too hard to get looking acceptable.
In fact, I'd probably have to find someone to rework the graphics with me, since I doubt my skill will really produce acceptable graphics. I'm wanting to get everything else done before then, though.

Glad you liked it, though, thanks for trying! I've played&tested this game inside out for quite a while, and I'm confident you.. shouldn't find any bugs. ;)

Edited by Desert Dog, 08 November 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#4 phoelich

phoelich

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

Pretty neat game :)
Played a few levels, but got stuck in most of them...
They are pretty hard :)

The levels were great, but you should add some easier ones :)
The tutorial levels were fine enough, but they again were easy (that's also what a tutorial should be)

That mirror/laser thing was a great idea :)

I hope to find something like that to put into Mind Puzzle xD
Not to steal, but I can use it as inspiration :)

Good luck!

#5 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

Nah, sure use as inspiration for sure.
I was 'inspired' by Dweep ;D And I know there are a few other games out there like this.
Spoiler

I was thinking of being inspired by your arrows. My moving floor sprites really look terrible, and I thought a simple, glowing arrow in the floor is much neater. :P (I had already thought of it, since it's what is in the official maze tutorial, but your game showed me how nice they can look, lol)

I'd like to point out to you that you can click to move. I think you should look at that for your game, since the iPhone you need the mouse to move [touch screen]

I'm sorry about it being tough, but that's the idea. The game is pretty much action-less, you don't have to rely on reflexes at all.. just pure brain power. The game wouldn't be fun unless it was hard!

Also, I think the later levels I was creating were easier. Not intentionally, but simply because I had used up so many good ideas on the earlier/middle levels. :P

Thanks for trying!

#6 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3185 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:08 AM

Neat, it's certainly looking much better than last time I played it! I gave some levels ago, including the one I made (and shamefully, I couldn't remember how to do it!). The overall feel to the game is much better now- I'll have to see if I can get around to making some iPhone levels at some point :)

#7 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:50 AM

You've got a great concept here, but I think it's being executed kindof poorly. I found myself getting frustrated controlling the character (with the mouse, since you're targeting the iPhone) more than the game itself. I'll make a list of things I thought while playing:
-The lines showing the path of the robot should go through or fill the squares, not line up with the grid, so I can tell where it's actually going.
-Clicking on a 'pushable' object should bring you to that object if possible, not do nothing.
-The auto movement should avoid the detonation lever for the bombs unless it's clicked on.
-You should be able to click on an object that is being pushed to keep it moving, instead of having to wait for it to stop.
-Clicking on the top of an object doesn't select that object, but the one above it (in other words, the isometric-ness of the game doesn't work very well with the mouse checking).
-Mouse should be able to end the narration boxes.
-Auto-pathfinding should avoid the lasers if possible. I ran into lasers repeatedly just trying to return simply to the mirrors.
-The auto-movement line marker should disappear after the movement is finished.
-The level editor mouse alignment is off.

Just some other random dev-related things I noticed:
-The lasers could use with being a little thicker, they don't stand out very well.
-If you're going to release your game on PC, I would recommend encrypting the level files and other folder contents.
-You could really use the help of a good sprite artist. :P
-Escape and the close button do nothing.

With some polishing I think you could have something good here. PM me if you need help with anything I listed (I'm not a great sprite artist but I can help with that, too, if you want).

Edited by BBGaming, 09 November 2010 - 05:55 AM.

#8 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for trying guys!
It'd be great if you tried your hand at a few levels Souly, but I'd hope we'll soon see something in the WIP section from you? ;)

@BBGaming: Thanks for trying! I'd agree myself that it seems poorly executed, and that's because this is designed for the PC, and the keys are the arrow keys.. the mouse was added as an after thought for fun&learning(&because some people prefer the mouse), and before the iphone thing was released. :P

The iphone version is a lot smaller, so the mouse movement isn't as clumsy on it, also there are a few improvements.
I'd like to release a version for that, too, but it doesn't have the level editor, and doesn't have as many levels.(yet!)

-The lines showing the path of the robot should go through or fill the squares, not line up with the grid, so I can tell where it's actually going.
-The auto movement should avoid the detonation lever for the bombs unless it's clicked on.
-Auto-pathfinding should avoid the lasers if possible. I ran into lasers repeatedly just trying to return simply to the mirrors.

First one, done, suggested by another tester, actually. It's just a line, which I'm happy with, but I may want to make it a bit thicker.
Also, for the other two, there is now a double-tap option. So you tap, and it looks like this:
Spoiler

And if you tap on the green square again, you move there. [if the path is safe].
It's optional, so the impatient, but dangerous livers can stick with the single tap if they like.

I don't think it'd be particularly hard to make the squares lasers go over as no-go's, but I'm happy keeping it that way. People should stay on their toes. The game doesn't have many dangers, so they only have to beware of 2-3 while their trying to solve puzzles.

-Clicking on a 'pushable' object should bring you to that object if possible, not do nothing.

Problem with that is, which side to bring it too? :P I guess the side with the nearest x/y coords. But good idea, should be implemented. [the double tap option will make this easier, too]

-Mouse should be able to end the narration boxes.

Yep, for sure. I need to rework those text boxes. They were a test.. I was thinking how players would like to add their own 'wise words' to a level. Not sure if I like it, and can't sprite well enough for them to be in the iphone. I'll probably just have a button you click for 'level hint'.

-You should be able to click on an object that is being pushed to keep it moving, instead of having to wait for it to stop.
-Clicking on the top of an object doesn't select that object, but the one above it (in other words, the isometric-ness of the game doesn't work very well with the mouse checking).

Yeah, I know what your saying. I think the graphics may have to lose that depth. Keep it all in the 32x32.
And you may be annoyed at having to wait until it's finished moving, but on the smaller map, you don't have as long to push them, and you do NOT want to push it one to far by accident, which tapping enthusiastically could do.

-The auto-movement line marker should disappear after the movement is finished.

Already done. It's amazing how these 1 hundred and one things which needed to be done on the bigger project just didn't get done, but on the smaller project are getting popped off. :)

-The lasers could use with being a little thicker, they don't stand out very well.

Maybe I'm just too use to them. I'll look at making them a bit thicker. I think more players will appreciate that.

-You could really use the help of a good sprite artist.

I actually think it's looking nicer in the smaller version. :P But yeah, for sure need to revamp myself, if I can't find someone.

-Escape and the close button do nothing.

What can I say! I don't want anyone to quit my game. ;)

Hey, thanks for playing&all the suggestions! Will work on making the mouse movement more use-able.

Edited by Desert Dog, 09 November 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#9 koo294

koo294

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 205 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:58 PM

Seems pretty good so far, but i can't see any way to beat level 6, and for some reason i can only see the professor guy for like 1 frame before he disappears

#10 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

Reviewing as I play the game.

-Start up, first time, it said 'You have played the game 3 times'. Hm.
-Graphics are pretty bland, I'm sorry to say.
-So far so good, about four puzzles in. Just beat the one with the cracked floors.
-On the rolling floors introduction level, there is a typo in what the professor says... "You can't walk off the rolling floors your on". It should be you're. A similar occurence in the same dialog box.
-Totally stuck on the level after that!
-Went back to the main, noticed that the levels don't go in order (IE 4 and 7 were not completed even though I did every one it gave me).
-Noticed an ini file, edited it and played through the rest of the levels.
-Didn't beat any and quit for good.

So far it's a good game. But change those graphics!

#11 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

Seems pretty good so far, but i can't see any way to beat level 6, and for some reason i can only see the professor guy for like 1 frame before he disappears

Only if you reeeally can't, here's a hint:
Spoiler

But you shouldn't be stuck so early on in the game!
Not sure why you can't see the professor, lol, I'm rewriting the textbox script.. and may remove it entirely for the iphone version.

-Start up, first time, it said 'You have played the game 3 times'. Hm.

In my defense, that's because I tried it a few times to make sure I didn't forget anything before zipping it up and posting. :P

-So far so good, about four puzzles in. Just beat the one with the cracked floors.
-On the rolling floors introduction level, there is a typo in what the professor says... "You can't walk off the rolling floors your on". It should be you're. A similar occurence in the same dialog box.

Thanks!

-Went back to the main, noticed that the levels don't go in order (IE 4 and 7 were not completed even though I did every one it gave me).

Odd. I just deleted my ini version, and played through 1-10, and it all showed up with a tick. Thanks for mentioning, will keep an eye out for similar reports.

-Totally stuck on the level after that!

-Didn't beat any and quit for good.

Yeah. :P Level 10 is the first 'hard' one, although I think there are easier ones after it. The iphone levels are smaller, and presumably, easier.

But change those graphics!

Will be looking into it. ;)

Thanks for playing Theo, and koo!

#12 koo294

koo294

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 205 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

Only if you reeeally can't, here's a hint:
Spoiler

But you shouldn't be stuck so early on in the game!

The only way you can push the barrel out again is by putting yourself in the laserbeam, thus killing yourself.

E: owait, i get it.Any hints on level 11? can't see how it's possible to get past the
$$$$$@#####@$$$$$
$$$$$@#####@$$$$$
$$$$$@##%##@$$$$$
$$$$$@#####@$$$$$
$$$$$@#####@$$$$$
$$$$$@$$$$$@$$$$$
$$$$$@#####@$$$$$
$$$$$@@$$$@@$$$$$

bit.

Edited by koo294, 09 November 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#13 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

You beat level 10 then? Good job! :)

For that, well, you just have to clear the 3 barrels, in a way which makes it clear for you to walk past. Just think of the various ways to push those 3 barrels, and you'll find one way which leaves you walking through. :P

#14 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3048 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

I like it very much! What you need now are some cool graphics and you can literary start selling!
I would advise you to use larger game graphics (not 32x32 but like 256x256), draw them to a surface and scale it down to view port if you know how to do those. That would make the graphics real cool and anti-aliased!

Don't worry about the size of your game! Most real games aren't smaller than 700 mB now!

PS: 3D perhaps?

Edited by Shadowrend, 10 November 2010 - 08:02 PM.

#15 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:59 PM

I like it very much! What you need now are some cool graphics and you can literary start selling!

Thanks! Cool graphics for sure, but the game still needs lots of polishing. Which I'm working on now. :D

I would advise you to use larger game graphics (not 32x32 but like 256x256), draw them to a surface and scale it down to view port if you know how to do those. That would make the graphics real cool and anti-aliased!

I dislike surfaces, they tend to be dodgy on some computers. The iphone runner doesn't work with surfaces, anyway. :(
I've reworked the engine for the smaller 480x320 size, and it's lookin' pretty darn sweet!

Don't worry about the size of your game! Most real games aren't smaller than 700 mB now!
PS: 3D perhaps?

Again, YYG's said they would like the files to be kept small(under 10mb) and 3d isn't working for iphone either. :( My games rarely go over 5 mb, anyway.

I considered 3d at the start of the project, but decided against it. My last project was 3d, and I wanted to trying something more manageable, 2d. ;)

Thanks for trying!

#16 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4037 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

This is a nice game. I have made it past 15th level before quiting.
For graphics, they seriously need at last a bit of improvement. I could help...
Posted Image
- A really simple example of what could be done to make graphics look nicer. Actually I can do either pixel-art, simple smooth graphics (like in example), or something better-looking (which takes longer to make too :P ). If you are interested, you may PM me.

#17 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:24 PM

That looks pretty cool, actually. But one thing I AM good at doing is gradients. ;)

Thanks for the offer! I'm flattered. :)
The current plan is to work the game until it's pretty much done, with just graphics (and music and sounds) needing revamping, and then looking into those. I'd probably take a shot at doing them myself, and if not acceptable, start looking around. :D
I'll bare you in mind when I start looking.

Now I'm just curious as to why you(and BBGaming, for that matter) aren't working on your own game for iphone. :P You guys are probably better programmers than me. :P

#18 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3048 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

Now I'm just curious as to why you(and BBGaming, for that matter) aren't working on your own game for iphone. :P You guys are probably better programmers than me. :P

Who said they aren't working on games? Maybe they are, but they are hiding it from us :o

#19 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:47 PM

I do plenty for windows games. I just don't want to spend a month on a game for iPhone only to be rejected by either YYG or Apple.

That and I never have any good ideas anyways. :P

#20 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:59 AM

I'm not concerned with being rejected. Well, I'd be disappointed, but I think that the game will have a life outside of the iPhone.

I'm certainly willing to give YYG's a shot, and see how it pans out. If they aren't great to work with, then back to PC games, weee :P

The games working really well at 480x320.. I think it suits the smaller screen size.
I added that thicker laser, and the click-on-barrel ideas of yours, make the game much better, thanks!

And your definitely not the only guy who aren't getting any ideas BB, I know several other guys who just aren't getting anything either. :P
I'd suggest just thinking up something small&fun to make with just using the mouse. I really enjoyed making this game work with only the mouse, bit of a challenge, and helped keep me interested. :D

#21 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

Do you want to upload the latest version? I'd like to try the levels again with a lot of issues fixed.

#22 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

The fixes have been going onto the iPhone version. Here's a download:

http://host-a.net/u/...Iphone_BETA.zip

There are 28 levels. I must ask you to forgive the first few levels, they are painfully easy, and will probably be reworked.. at least the first one will be.

New feature, double-tap movement with the mouse to ensure you don't run into a laser, or step on a trigger. Can be turned off in options.

Graphics haven't improved, in fact, some have gotten worse with the scaling down. Not a high priority atm, I'm just going to finish all 40 puzzles, first. [No easy task!]

I thought the levels would be easier, for being smaller, but.. well, that may seem not to necessarily be the case!

Thanks for the interest!

#23 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3048 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

How about you add some points? They can be hidden, or at difficult to reach places.

EDIT: I've found a bug. It is about the lasers.
As they say, one image is a thousand words, soo...
Posted Image

Spoiler

PS: The Parchment font doesn't quite fit the whole Robotic Atmosphere...

Edited by Shadowrend, 15 November 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#24 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

Wowzers, you got that far Shadow! Good work, seriously, I thought I had a few brain-stumping puzzles in there!

And no, the laser doesn't go through the barrel. I guess it looks like it does, which isn't helped by how the way lasers are 'drawn' in collision with objects is a little messy&incorrect.

There are two lasers shooting. One from the top, and one from below. See? They hit the barrel from both sides. :)

#25 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3185 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:44 PM

And no, the laser doesn't go through the barrel. I guess it looks like it does, which isn't helped by how the way lasers are 'drawn' in collision with objects is a little messy&incorrect.

There are two lasers shooting. One from the top, and one from below. See? They hit the barrel from both sides. :)

I noticed this too from the screenshot, at first glance it does look like it is going through but after inspection its obvious its not- don't know weather this is something that needs addressing, but at least it is a relief that it's not a bug :)

#26 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:31 AM

It's a nice WIP, but the graphics are lacking quite a bit. I found the slow movement annoying as well.
Try to make it more clear (graphically) what things are. (The barrel doesn't really look like a barrel)

#27 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:14 AM

I have found a bug with my moving platforms.. those things have given me more head-aches than I care to mention! It's a strange bug, one of those things that 'shouldn't' happen, and 'doesn't' happen except in special circumstances. Time for some more bug-testing I see. :)

Thanks for trying Orange, yeah graphics are going to be reworked. Of all the things that look odd, I thought the barrel was the best looking.. it's just a round, thing. :)

I may end up scrapping the three dee look, and go for something more straightforward.

Also, if you found the slow movement annoying, there is an option for fast movement..? Or was that too slow for you as well.

#28 Batch

Batch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:11 AM

Intriguing game, reminds of the old days while I played a game very similar to this =].
It works well, and has many nice components towards the gameplay.

Yes, of course the graphics must absolutely be renewed, but that is something more of improvement; at least you have stand-in sprites for the time being.

Also to address your previous concern:

I dislike surfaces, they tend to be dodgy on some computers. The iphone runner doesn't work with surfaces, anyway. :(

I don't think that there is any need to draw it to a surface. You just simply draw the sprites with an x-scale and y-scale that is less than 1.
To do this, you could use sprite_draw_ext().
And if you really want an anti-aliased format, then just go to game options and tick [Interpolate Pixels].

And of course, you don't need anti-aliased sprites; you just need sprites with better shading and better line art.
As I said before, there is no need to actually worry about graphics. Just find an artist who is willing to help you out.

Also, be sure to watch out for inconsistent views (for the sprites).
Everything seems to be in the right view except the laser pointer, which is strictly topdown, as oposed to the game's 3/4 (Pokemon) view style.
However, look from the programming viewpoint, this conflict is due to the laser having to be centered, correct?

You could either:
( A ) Make the laser pointer fit the 3/4 view (sort of like the barrel object), and draw the laser relative to where the barrel (of the laser object) is. This will raise the horizontal lasers up quite a bit, but the vertical lasers ought to stay the same.
( B ) Make the graphics strictly topdown like the laser pointer, which will require more work.

And no worries, this is just looking into future development/refinement.

Keep working on it! Posted Image
-CubinJ

Edited by CubinJ, 16 November 2010 - 03:17 AM.

#29 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for trying CubinJ!

About the laser, from a programming point of view, yes, it does have to be centered, but also from a gameplay point of view I would prefer it to be centered... I want to make it as clear as possible which square the laser is in. Raising the laser somewhat could cause issues that way, with which squares the player sees the laser on.

I guess it doesn't have to be raised by much, but I think I can get away with sticking it in the middle.

I'm not ruling out having straight top-down graphics, either. :P I'm finishing off the levels, and then we'll see my options.

#30 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:53 AM

Something like this for the lasers would look cool:
Posted Image
The shadow would be centered.

And keep the 3d look. It makes this game much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users