1176 replies to this topic

#1051 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3137 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

Time which you have spent making the game.

I would like to have some counter in Game Maker, which counts how many hours you have been making specific game. Also some this kind of information would be nice to be able to check :)

Tero Hannula

I second this.

#1052 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

I like the idea of the project time calculator too. Maybe add a line of code counter as well for people who like that stuff.

#1053 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

I like the idea of the project time calculator too. Maybe add a line of code counter as well for people who like that stuff.

This is what the +1 button is for. So you don't have to repeat what lots of other people have already said. Otherwise, it's as good as spam really.

#1054 Plastic

Plastic

GMC Member

• 28 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

I would also like to add some suggestions:
- support for .fli files (which can be used as animated backgrounds)
- animated loading screens
- update the build-in multiplayer functions. Game Maker should add support for client-server networking (rather than the peer-to-peer features mplay uses), so one can make games that
correctly can be played over the internet, lobbying servers, and Directplay Voice. As the current build-in mplay functions use the peer-to-peer technology, one can make multiplayer games for
20 players max. Whith the client-server approuch, this can be extended to infite or more.

#1055 connor4312

connor4312

www.connorpeet.com

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

- update the build-in multiplayer functions. Game Maker should add support for client-server networking (rather than the peer-to-peer features mplay uses), so one can make games that
correctly can be played over the internet, lobbying servers, and Directplay Voice. As the current build-in mplay functions use the peer-to-peer technology, one can make multiplayer games for
20 players max. Whith the client-server approuch, this can be extended to infite or more.

- Use a standard .avi format. That is a Quicktime (.mov-family) format, and Apple tends to not want to share. I'd say about half of PCs don't have Quicktime on them. In website development, I like to call it the 95% rule. If you know >95% of your users are able to view it, use it. Otherwise, find something else. If you want a good codec for animation compression, you can look into the H.263/4, Cinepack, or DV compressions. Cinepack is the most "global" but it doesn't give you all too good a quality. DV compression only works on 720x480 frames, and although it's a great format some computers may not always have the H.263/4 codecs.
- There already are...
- 39dll

#1056 Plastic

Plastic

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

- Use a standard .avi format. That is a Quicktime (.mov-family) format, and Apple tends to not want to share. I'd say about half of PCs don't have Quicktime on them. In website development, I like to call it the 95% rule. If you know >95% of your users are able to view it, use it. Otherwise, find something else. If you want a good codec for animation compression, you can look into the H.263/4, Cinepack, or DV compressions. Cinepack is the most "global" but it doesn't give you all too good a quality. DV compression only works on 720x480 frames, and although it's a great format some computers may not always have the H.263/4 codecs.
- There already are...
- 39dll

-At the moment, you can't use a .avi file as a background. That's why I suggested .fli files, as they have the same effect, but in a different format.
-You can't use animated loading screens as the Game Maker game loads.
-I recently heard that Game Maker uses DirectX 7 for the build-in mplay functions, while the minimum system requirement is DirectX 8. So this have to be updated anyway. But
right now, one cannot make multiplayer games with the build-in functions that can be played over the internet. That's why I suggested to update the build-in functions,
because I prefer not to use a DLL.

#1057 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

mplay functions

Either way mplay is a dead technology.

#1058 Overloaded

Overloaded

Seeker of Balance

• GMC Member
  • 965 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

My Game Maker Suggestions:

- 3D/Multiplayer DnD actions.

- More tutorials that you can view in Game Maker.

- Animated backgrounds ( I mean like sprites that have subimages)

- 3D Model loading (I mean that there would be a subfolder like "Sprites" and "Objects") and a model editor.

- More ready sprites/backgrounds/sounds and examples. I would suggest you to put Mario and Pacman sprites/backgrounds/sounds and examples, because most people create clones of them. (And other famous games of course). Also, you could put ready 3D Models (okay I don't mean that you should create very good models, just basic)

- 2D/3D Room/Object selection. When you create a room, you could choose if you want it to be 2D or 3D. 2D rooms could put 2D objects (the ones with sprites) and 3D room could put 3D objects (the ones with 3D sprites/models). Also 3D rooms could have an 3D editor.

That's it. If I have more suggestions I'll tell you.

NOTE: I don't demand you to do these, I'm just giving you suggestions. Also, I don't know if anyone else here have posted the same things, because there are a lot of posts and I can't read them all.Posted Image

Have a happy day,
D4RknEZz (known also as Manolis Greece)

#1059 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8291 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

-I recently heard that Game Maker uses DirectX 7 for the build-in mplay functions, while the minimum system requirement is DirectX 8. So this have to be updated anyway. But
right now, one cannot make multiplayer games with the build-in functions that can be played over the internet. That's why I suggested to update the build-in functions,
because I prefer not to use a DLL.

No, it doesn't mean that at all.

GameMaker's DirectPlay 7 mplay can still be used to create applications that can be played over the Internet. However all participants need to port-forward their NAT devices. DirectPlay 8 does have much improved NAT traversal mechanisms, but that means a complete rewrite of GM's mplay API. That would be absolutely silly given mplay is Microsoft only, deprecated and slow.

YYGs has tweeted/blogged about replacing mplay with their own cross-platform API. It's likely to be socket based. Given 39DLL is also socket based, there should be enough similarity so that working with 39DLL should be portable to the YYGs Network API.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 13 March 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#1060 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

- More ready sprites/backgrounds/sounds and examples. I would suggest you to put Mario and Pacman sprites/backgrounds/sounds and examples, because most people create clones of them. (And other famous games of course). Also, you could put ready 3D Models (okay I don't mean that you should create very good models, just basic)

So you're encouraging copyright infringement? Fangames are technically illegal and YYG would potentially be in some kind of trouble for distributing copyrighted images of copyrighted characters like Mario or Pac-man. That is probably why Game Maker no longer has a "Pac-man" example. It's now disguised as a treasure hunt game. It plays like Pac-man though. :snitch:

#1061 Overloaded

Overloaded

Seeker of Balance

• GMC Member
  • 965 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

So you're encouraging copyright infringement? Fangames are technically illegal and YYG would potentially be in some kind of trouble for distributing copyrighted images of copyrighted characters like Mario or Pac-man. That is probably why Game Maker no longer has a "Pac-man" example. It's now disguised as a treasure hunt game. It plays like Pac-man though. :snitch:

You're right. I respect copyright as well. I suggested this because it's easier to users to create Mario and other games' clones. I didn't know that was illegal, because YoYo is allowing this. Sanbox is full with clones. I don't know much about copyright stuff. I am new to Game-Making world. And if YoYo doesn't want to follow my suggestion it's ok. I am not demanding anything. It's their product so their decision

I don't want to be rude with anyone, I am friendly,
D4RknEZz (known also as Manolis Greece)

#1062 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1921 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Copyrighted sprites...Not going to happen. They could create more sprites to work with, including platformer sprites. But I don't think they really need to. There are plenty of free sprites available to get you started, and many of them are listed on this very forum in the graphics section, and the same applies to sound/music.

3d models....Seriously Doubt It Even though GM has a little 3d, it is meant for 2D game creation. I'm not against adding 3d, though they would be better off creating a separate project, and they have there hands full of competition in that arena too, between Unity and Shiva. On the 2d side, the competition is much less fierce, especially with the mobile platforms, which are more suited to 2d games anyway. And for indie developers, 2d is better for game creation for the most part anyway(though that is another argument for another topic) so I can't really disagree with Yoyo's decision to go for multi-platform 2D games creation.

Networking API...Could Happen. Here's the catch(NPT you already know this). Whatever yoyo adds to Game Maker is most likely going to be cross-platform, not only between windows and Mac, but Android and iOS, and likely HTML5 as well, and any number of other platforms that yoyo could want to do. This seriously limits API choices. Yoyo may/could choose to include things that aren't quite as cross-platform, specifying that things only work on certain platforms. GM's goals with Studio appear to be a "2D Unity" in that they want one code base to export to all available platforms with minimal changes. Box2D for physics is a good example, but it is open-source, and can be ported to all the platforms up to this point, including even the HTML5. Most anything Yoyo adds is going to be like that from here on out.

#1063 Plastic

Plastic

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

My suggestion for a new networking API was meant for GameMaker 9, not GMS. I don't think it is even possible to make a cross-platform networking API.

#1064 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

My suggestion for a new networking API was meant for GameMaker 9, not GMS. I don't think it is even possible to make a cross-platform networking API.

Linux and Mac don't have TCP/IP, UDP, or Sockets? I really don't know much about cross-platform networking, but it seems silly to me that a Windows machine could not network with a Linux machine or a Mac machine.

#1065 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

Nonsense! I'm doing it right now!

#1066 Plastic

Plastic

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

What I meant with cross-platform networking, I meant working for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, etc.
But as I only work with windows, it would be nice to have working, updated build-in multiplayer functions.

Edit: I would also like an option to set a isometric grid in the path and tile editor, to make it easier to make isometric games.

Edited by Plastic, 01 April 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#1067 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Script Mode: Removes the DnD toolbar, and replaces the drag and drop region with a place to write code. Essentially removes a bunch of steps and wasted space when all there is in your game is one code per action.

#1068 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

Script Mode: Removes the DnD toolbar, and replaces the drag and drop region with a place to write code. Essentially removes a bunch of steps and wasted space when all there is in your game is one code per action.

Again, a suggestion mentioned at least 100 times before. If people even just checked the last two pages or so, we'd skip out all these repeated suggestions.

#1069 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm so, sooo sorry! *runs away sobbing*

#1070 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1915 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Okay, I know this was ... sort of? mentioned previously and there was a long discussion about a similar idea... but I'd rather keep it simple:

Pass by reference.

Simple enough as doing it the way C# has it too, and since GM is a bit dynamic about all you would need is...
// some code stuff
my_script(ref variable);
This would be awfully nice to have right about... now. :whistle:

#1071 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9328 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

Okay, I know this was ... sort of? mentioned previously and there was a long discussion about a similar idea... but I'd rather keep it simple:

Pass by reference.

Simple enough as doing it the way C# has it too, and since GM is a bit dynamic about all you would need is...

// some code stuff
my_script(ref variable);

Yes, it's been requested, and yes, it would be useful. You could just pass the variable name as a string and use the variable_*_set() function, but that's cumbersome. It's the only way now, though, and I don't foresee YYG adding pass-by-reference or pointers anytime soon (they think it would be "too complicated" for new users, and judging from the Novice Q&A forum, I'm inclined to agree).

-IMP

#1072 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Pass by reference.

// some code stuff
my_script(ref variable);

Yes, it's been requested, and yes, it would be useful. You could just pass the variable name as a string and use the variable_*_set() function, but that's cumbersome. It's the only way now, though, and I don't foresee YYG adding pass-by-reference or pointers anytime soon (they think it would be "too complicated" for new users, and judging from the Novice Q&A forum, I'm inclined to agree).

-IMP

Many things are too complicated for beginning - like data structures or surfaces. The point is, you're supposed to be able to advance on to more complicated things - beginners just shouldn't use it until they're ready.

#1073 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8525 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Aren't controller objects usually made without a sprite? In that case, they would probably be excluded from collision checks.

As far as I know, collision checks are only performed for objects that have collision events (so Game Maker won't check everything's collisions with everything; that would be a really bad idea, since the workload would grow with the square of object resources) so as long as your controller don't have any collision events, it won't waste any CPU via collision checking.

What we need is the ability to execute code one LINE at a time.

It's quite possible to do that if you put show_message() calls between the lines you want to debug.

#1074 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

What we need is the ability to execute code one LINE at a time.

It's quite possible to do that if you put show_message() calls between the lines you want to debug.

Break points are slightly different, and are slightly better and more flexible to use.

#1075 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I would love the ability to have a draw_sprite_scrolling(x,y,sprite,scrolling direction (360), scrolling speed)

It would basically draw the sprite in a place while scrolling it's image in the direction specified with the speed specified. Like a waterfall tile that's a still image, but will appear falling when used as draw_sprite_scrolling(x,y,sprWaterFall,270, 4)

#1076 Blake

Blake

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

mp_grid_find_cell(id,h,v);

So that I don't have to build a replica of the grid in a 2d array just to check whether a cell is free or not! :thumbsup:

#1077 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

*linuxcough*

#1078 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

*linuxcough*

It's not worth it. It would be low priority if it was even considered.

#1079 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

*sniff* It's worth it to me!

#1080 IsmAvatar

IsmAvatar

Good Samaritan

• GMC Member