1162 replies to this topic

#1051 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

My suggestion for a new networking API was meant for GameMaker 9, not GMS. I don't think it is even possible to make a cross-platform networking API.

Linux and Mac don't have TCP/IP, UDP, or Sockets? I really don't know much about cross-platform networking, but it seems silly to me that a Windows machine could not network with a Linux machine or a Mac machine.

Read this before contacting me with a mentor request. This text file is subject to amendments at any time, without notice.

Get your GM 8.1 Anti-Aliasing here!
2712265.png

#1052 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

Nonsense! I'm doing it right now!
MXfDv0N.png > braveadventurer@quest-DUTIMS:~$ _ don tseethebr akuhhuh Thread - Mirror - Tumblr

nIdGebz.png

#1053 Plastic

Plastic

GMC Member

• 28 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

What I meant with cross-platform networking, I meant working for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, etc.
But as I only work with windows, it would be nice to have working, updated build-in multiplayer functions.

Edit: I would also like an option to set a isometric grid in the path and tile editor, to make it easier to make isometric games.

Edited by Plastic, 01 April 2012 - 06:18 PM.

I am an Posted Image in the GM Quiz!

#1054 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Script Mode: Removes the DnD toolbar, and replaces the drag and drop region with a place to write code. Essentially removes a bunch of steps and wasted space when all there is in your game is one code per action.
MXfDv0N.png > braveadventurer@quest-DUTIMS:~$ _ don tseethebr akuhhuh Thread - Mirror - Tumblr

nIdGebz.png

#1055 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

Script Mode: Removes the DnD toolbar, and replaces the drag and drop region with a place to write code. Essentially removes a bunch of steps and wasted space when all there is in your game is one code per action.

Again, a suggestion mentioned at least 100 times before. If people even just checked the last two pages or so, we'd skip out all these repeated suggestions.
String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#1056 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm so, sooo sorry! *runs away sobbing*

nIdGebz.png

#1057 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1958 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Okay, I know this was ... sort of? mentioned previously and there was a long discussion about a similar idea... but I'd rather keep it simple:

Pass by reference.

Simple enough as doing it the way C# has it too, and since GM is a bit dynamic about all you would need is...
// some code stuff
my_script(ref variable);
This would be awfully nice to have right about... now. :whistle:

Posted Image
The next generation of Game Maker fighting games? More like the best.
Showdown Academy | Showdown Academy Blog

Check out my new album at last.fm: KatazTrophee

#1058 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

Okay, I know this was ... sort of? mentioned previously and there was a long discussion about a similar idea... but I'd rather keep it simple:

Pass by reference.

Simple enough as doing it the way C# has it too, and since GM is a bit dynamic about all you would need is...

// some code stuff
my_script(ref variable);

Yes, it's been requested, and yes, it would be useful. You could just pass the variable name as a string and use the variable_*_set() function, but that's cumbersome. It's the only way now, though, and I don't foresee YYG adding pass-by-reference or pointers anytime soon (they think it would be "too complicated" for new users, and judging from the Novice Q&A forum, I'm inclined to agree).

-IMP

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#1059 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Pass by reference.

// some code stuff
my_script(ref variable);

Yes, it's been requested, and yes, it would be useful. You could just pass the variable name as a string and use the variable_*_set() function, but that's cumbersome. It's the only way now, though, and I don't foresee YYG adding pass-by-reference or pointers anytime soon (they think it would be "too complicated" for new users, and judging from the Novice Q&A forum, I'm inclined to agree).

-IMP

Many things are too complicated for beginning - like data structures or surfaces. The point is, you're supposed to be able to advance on to more complicated things - beginners just shouldn't use it until they're ready.

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#1060 Yal

Yal

Obviously not Tsuka

• Global Moderators
  • 11275 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Aren't controller objects usually made without a sprite? In that case, they would probably be excluded from collision checks.

As far as I know, collision checks are only performed for objects that have collision events (so Game Maker won't check everything's collisions with everything; that would be a really bad idea, since the workload would grow with the square of object resources) so as long as your controller don't have any collision events, it won't waste any CPU via collision checking.

What we need is the ability to execute code one LINE at a time.

It's quite possible to do that if you put show_message() calls between the lines you want to debug.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines: (all completely free to use, even commercially, as long as you replace all included graphics / music first).
SisterEngine RPG Engine - - YaruFPS 3D Collision Engine -- YaruPlatEngine Platform Engine

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#1061 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

What we need is the ability to execute code one LINE at a time.

It's quite possible to do that if you put show_message() calls between the lines you want to debug.

Break points are slightly different, and are slightly better and more flexible to use.

#1062 Blake

Blake

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

mp_grid_find_cell(id,h,v);

So that I don't have to build a replica of the grid in a 2d array just to check whether a cell is free or not! :thumbsup:

cc_sig.png

#1063 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

*linuxcough*

nIdGebz.png

#1064 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

*linuxcough*

It's not worth it. It would be low priority if it was even considered.

#1065 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

*sniff* It's worth it to me!

nIdGebz.png

#1066 IsmAvatar

IsmAvatar

Good Samaritan

• GMC Member
  • 2411 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

Is it worth $25 to you?

Also, there's always LateralGM :-p
Posted Image LateralGM is an IDE for editing GM files on Linux, Mac, and Windows.
We also house the GM File Format Documentation and other projects of that nature.
IsmAvatar.com | Examples | Scripts | Particles | DLLs | Credit Me
Email | Registered

#1067 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Wait, what?

nIdGebz.png

#1068 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

if you dont know what LateralGM is then google it.
Spoiler

#1069 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

No, what do you mean by 'is it worth 25 bucks to you'?

nIdGebz.png

#1070 Pixlator

Pixlator

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

I have compiled a small list of functions that could be very useful to a lot of people:

Spoiler

#1071 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

I have compiled a small list of functions that could be very useful to a lot of people:

draw_set_depth(): Not needed. Every instance has a "depth" variable that determines when it will be drawn. Instead of draw_set_depth(n), use depth = n. This will change its drawing order for the next frame.

Array sorting: This is what lists are for. ds_list_sort(id, ascending)

mouse_in_circle():
//mouse_in_circle(x1, y1, radius)
return point_distance(argument0, argument1, mouse_x, mouse_y) <= argument2;

mouse_in_rectangle():
//mouse_in_rectangle(x1, y1, x2, y2)
return (mouse_x >= argument0 && mouse_x <= argument2 && mouse_y >= argument1 && mouse_y <= argument3);

collision_triangle: http://www.gmlscript...lision_triangle

I do admit, a native collision_triangle() function would be awesome.

Read this before contacting me with a mentor request. This text file is subject to amendments at any time, without notice.

2712265.png

#1072 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

I approve draw_set_depth, but instead of having a mouse_circle and the other one, why don't we have a native function(s) that check if a point is within the circle [rectangle]. Or out of it. I know it's simple, I have it in nearly all my games, but why not have a native version of it [them]?

nIdGebz.png

#1073 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

^I pressed it for the heck of it, since linux support is like the only other computer OS that still isn't supported :)
Spoiler

#1074 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Heh, thanks! You may have been the first one to have just had an impulse like that! +1 to you.

nIdGebz.png

#1075 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

thx! your awesome. :)

back on topic.
there needs to be a java applet and flash export at least some point in the distant future. Html5 doesnt provide the same ad capabilities that flash and java provide. as it would make GM a cheap alternative to unity 3D.
Spoiler

#1076 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Html5 doesnt provide the same ad capabilities that flash and java provide

Um...yes, it does. Why doesn't it? Flash and Java are, for the most part, in the process of being phased out of most new browsers in favor of HTML5. Name one thing Flash and/or Java can do that HTML5 can't.

-IMP

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#1077 Pixlator

Pixlator

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Okay so that list I made were recommended functions. Although I would only use a few of them.
Such as: draw_set_depth(depth); and instance_nth_nearest(x,y,obj,nth);

Would setting depth = n help with drawing each sprite on a separate depth in each frame? (probably huh?)
Never tried it, it seemed to simple to work. XD

Technically the mouse_rect() I could go without. Also same with mouse_circ();
Afterall you could use this script mouse_circ:
//Actual distance formula. If you mix up the points like x1-x2,y1-y2 instead of x2-x1,y2-y1 error is returned: "cannot divide by 0", better use the distance function ^_^ 
return sqrt(sqr(argument0 - argument2) - sqr(argument1 - argument3))
or
//distance function between 2 points obviously. :P
return point_distance(argument0,argument1,argument2,argument3)

Me ranting:
Spoiler

@Big J:
The point of the mouse_rect and mouse_circ is to be able to check if the mouse was either inside or outside of the rectangle or circle. So instead you would use this code:
Spoiler

Finally overall I think this would be the most helpful thing game maker could have:
Preferences: (Check Box) On start import resources.
That way if you have scripts you make or sprites or objects you make that could be used over and over and over and over again Game Maker will automatically import the resource file they are in into Game Maker so that they are ready to go!

Then a define script section in the scripts pallet. So that (like a function) you can set the names of arguments to show when the edit box pops (Check code while typing...) up in Game Maker when adding a script to your code.
For example:
Spoiler

EDIT: I edited this post nearly 10 times lol. :tongue:
EDIT: Is it illegal to have a post this long? Or to edit a post more than 20 times?

Edited by Pixlator, 13 April 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#1078 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Would setting depth = n help with drawing each sprite on a separate depth in each frame? (probably huh?)

It doesn't, and unfortunately, your 'wish' isn't going to happen. You can't change the drawing depth mid draw event!

Imagine you've got a piece of paper. And a bunch of stamps (or stickers). You place one down, and you place others, and some you overlay ontop of others, and then you pick up one, and you want to place it underneath a stamp that's already there.
Can't be done.

That's the same with the drawing screen (for 2d, anyway) you've got this canvas, and you've got a bit list of objects, ordered by their depth, and then the command goes out, and bam-bam-bam, everythings getting layered down. You can't suddenly come to a sprite, and be like 'oh, want this one drawn under these ones!

instance_nth_nearest(x,y,obj,nth) would be handy, though, and entirely possible.
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#1079 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

It doesn't, and unfortunately, your 'wish' isn't going to happen. You can't change the drawing depth mid draw event!

Imagine you've got a piece of paper. And a bunch of stamps (or stickers). You place one down, and you place others, and some you overlay ontop of others, and then you pick up one, and you want to place it underneath a stamp that's already there.
Can't be done.

That's the same with the drawing screen (for 2d, anyway) you've got this canvas, and you've got a bit list of objects, ordered by their depth, and then the command goes out, and bam-bam-bam, everythings getting layered down. You can't suddenly come to a sprite, and be like 'oh, want this one drawn under these ones!

That's mostly right, but it's not entirely true. Such a thing could be done easily (coding-wise) by using a z-buffer for each depth used in a step, and only compositing the z-buffers once all instances have completed their DRAW events.

The problem is that while it's possible and easy, it's also highly inefficient. It would require a lot of VRAM and extra processing that would do nothing but burden GM as it executes your program. So it probably won't ever happen.

-IMP

#1080 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Yeah changing depth mid draw cannot be done, and as IMP mentioned in so many words, faking it using a Z-Buffer in 2D would be overkill.

2712265.png

#1081 Pixlator

Pixlator

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

What do you think of my other ideas then eh?

Preferences: "On start import resources". (This way you can auto import those handy scripts that are annoying to rewrite over and over again.)
Being able to define the arguments for scripts in the "check code while typing" box like you'd see for a function?

Ah but DesertDog, this is coding not paper!! :tongue: Anything is possible in coding...
Say you have 20 paper objects and ya wanna put the first paper object in the middle of the stack of paper without removing it from the stack?
AH! "depth-=3" putting it in the middle of the stack. :biggrin:

As for YoYo they have no limits to what they can code and throw into the program...
I'm to lazy atm to test this so I'll just ask: say you have a global object and 5 other objects with different depths.
Would drawing a sprite (In the global object) in a draw event in a with() code draw a sprite with the other objects depth??
Example: Global Object Draw event:
with(obj_depth1){draw_sprite(sprite,image,x,y)}

Edited by Pixlator, 13 April 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#1082 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Ah but DesertDog, this is coding not paper!! :tongue: Anything is possible in coding...
Say you have 20 paper objects and ya wanna put the first paper object in the middle of the stack of paper without removing it from the stack?
AH! "depth-=3" putting it in the middle of the stack. :biggrin:

As for YoYo they have no limits to what they can code and throw into the program...

That would be analogous to the Z-buffer method. Like I said, it can be done easily, but each paper costs something. Each buffer takes up some video memory, and quite a bit of it, to be honest. Having 20 graphical buffers would take up so much memory that most graphics cards would, as my computer organization professor says, "puke on it". Meaning they would run out of memory, so they'd fail to create more buffers, leading to lost data and most likely errors about trying to use memory that hasn't been allocated (or even segfaulting if decent error handling isn't used).

There's no limit to what they can code, but there IS a limit to how much resources a computer has. You can't ask the computer to allocate more VRAM than it has, and you can't ask the CPU to run at more clock cycles than it's designed to (unless you overclock, which generates a lot of heat that must be dealt with; but that's a hardware modification anyway, not a software one).

-IMP

*EDIT*

I'm to lazy atm to test this so I'll just ask: say you have a global object and 5 other objects with different depths.
Would drawing a sprite (In the global object) in a draw event in a with() code draw a sprite with the other objects depth??
Example: Global Object Draw event:

with(obj_depth1){draw_sprite(sprite,image,x,y)}

No. The only thing "depth" does is change the order in which each instance's DRAW event is called. If that code is in an object with depth 0, say, whatever is drawn will be drawn at depth 0, even if it's contained in a with() body of a higher-depth instance.

Edited by IceMetalPunk, 13 April 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#1083 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1958 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Then a define script section in the scripts pallet. So that (like a function) you can set the names of arguments to show when the edit box pops (Check code while typing...) up in Game Maker when adding a script to your code.
For example:

Spoiler

I would rather just define it at the top of the script...

#script_name(argument, parameter)

Or something along those lines...

Or maybe even something more typical would be fine:
script_name(argument, parameter)
{
    // insert script here
}

Posted Image

#1084 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

That's mostly right, but it's not entirely true. Such a thing could be done easily (coding-wise) by using a z-buffer for each depth used in a step, and only compositing the z-buffers once all instances have completed their DRAW events.

IMP, not entirely sure I'm following you here. How do you use a z-buffer for each depth in 2d?

(This sounds a lot like you have a surface for each depth, actually, then just drawing the surfaces out in order. Impractical for large views! :tongue:)

I'm aware you can change the depth in 3d, with functions like d3d_set_depth,(or the translation functions).

E.g. he could do:
d3d_start();
d3d_set_projection_ortho( view_xview, view_yview, view_wview, view_hview, 0 )
d3d_transform_set_identity()
d3d_transform_add_translation( 0, 0, 0 )
draw_sprite(sprite0,-1,x,y);
//d3d_transform_add_translation( 0, 0, 5 )
d3d_set_depth(5);
draw_sprite(sprite1,-1,x+16,y+16);
d3d_transform_set_identity()
d3d_end();

But that's a lot of extra drawing functions, and the game is likely going to pay for it.
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#1085 Pixlator

Pixlator

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Ah so there is a method to draw_set_depth. :P
Yes the game will pay for doing something like that DesertDog.
I guess we can say good bye to draw_set_depth, and just use separate objects to draw on separate depths.

Also GStick that isn't the point. The point is to be able to type out a script in a code and be able to
see its arguments like a function. Instead of a whole thing to be able to set this up, a function such as this could be used:
define_argument(argument,string)

That way the check box knows what to say for each argument:
example_script(string)

This way while typing a script into a code you'll never have to refer back to the script for its arguments when using a script in a code.
How could this not be helpful?

Any takes on the "preferences: import resource on start" option??

EDIT: This is quite an amusing topic. :tongue:

Edited by Pixlator, 13 April 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#1086 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1958 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

Also GStick that isn't the point. The point is to be able to type out a script in a code and be able to
see its arguments like a function. Instead of a whole thing to be able to set this up, a function such as this could be used:
define_argument(argument,string)

That way the check box knows what to say for each argument:
example_script(string)

This way while typing a script into a code you'll never have to refer back to the script for its arguments when using a script in a code.
How could this not be helpful?

I know. I was suggesting what I see as a better method of being able to achieve the same result.

Posted Image

#1087 Pixlator

Pixlator

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I don't see how your method is better...
Writing the names of the arguments in the scripts as comments and referring back to them is time consuming.
Defining the arguments: define_argument(argument,string) is faster and would not need referring to the scripts if you forget an argument or something.
My method you could always see what the arguments are by using the check code while typing box...

#1088 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1958 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

They aren't comments. Have you ever used another language before? (Not trying to be mean, it's a real question).

Posted Image

#1089 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Html5 doesnt provide the same ad capabilities that flash and java provide

Um...yes, it does. Why doesn't it? Flash and Java are, for the most part, in the process of being phased out of most new browsers in favor of HTML5. Name one thing Flash and/or Java can do that HTML5 can't.

-IMP

For conveniences, one Jar or Swf is one file. Html5 needs multiple (many in most cases). And Html5 is MUCH easier to decompile, even though flash and java decompilable, they are not near as easy to. All it takes is for someone to realize an HTML5 game was made w/ GameMaker, then, they know where everyting is located (Images, JS, sounds) is all located in the html5game folder. Which is open for changing the title screen copyright, credits, etc. On that note, I heard that YYG is going to make GM:HMTL5/Studio so that the html5game directory and files in that directory can't be renamed, or else they will be not read by the index.html or game.js...

I would especially like to have Java support, as Java from what I understand can read DLLs and DYLIBs (tecno40's eRun reads DLL functions, which is how eRun is even possible). Which would make those GM extensions for PC and Mac also work in the browser.

And to top that all off, Java is also the bridge for ActiveX & COM objects. Html5 can only read ActiveX *.OCX on IE, and ActiveX *.DLL on Chrome and Firefox (Look at the former YYG Intant Play Control that was crappy and had to be updated all the time because of it's lack of Java and pure use of HTML).

Hope this answers your question, believe me, I've done my research.

Edit:
This is exactly why I'm attempting to develop my DwnldExec DLL for use in Java and Mac (by of coarse re-writing the DLL in Mac's DYLIB technology)
See this for more info. :P

Edited by time-killer-games, 14 April 2012 - 08:08 PM.

Spoiler

#1090 Pixlator

Pixlator

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

I know GStick... you know the point of this topic is to post suggestions for changes to Game Maker right??

Edited by Pixlator, 14 April 2012 - 11:56 PM.

#1091 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

IMP, not entirely sure I'm following you here. How do you use a z-buffer for each depth in 2d?

(This sounds a lot like you have a surface for each depth, actually, then just drawing the surfaces out in order. Impractical for large views! :tongue:)

That's exactly what I meant. That's why I said it would be terribly inefficient :P .

-IMP

#1092 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1958 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

I know GStick... you know the point of this topic is to post suggestions for changes to Game Maker right??

Yes, I know?

I guess I'll explain what I'm saying...

They aren't comments. They would be language syntax for GML.

My first idea I wrote:
#script_name(this, that, blah)

// code

It would go at the top. The # is taken from C++ syntax where you use #define. While not something used for this particular purpose, it could be, because the idea is similar because you're giving some sort of special meaning to the text you're writing. Anyway, GM would recognize this syntax and use it in the code-completion interface.

Idea 2:
script_name(this, that, blah)
{
    // code
}

This would work more like creating functions in other languages, so it's not really a new concept. A script wouldn't be able to function without having the function definition. GM would read the function declaration and use that in code-completion and you would place your code inside the brackets.

Posted Image

#1093 Pixlator

Pixlator

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

AH! So you'd create a script then you'd put:
#script_name(this, that, blah) or whatever in the script
and GM would read this as a completion option...

I think I understand. It didn't seem to clear until just now. :tongue:
Haha that is an easy method also, much more... compact. :biggrin:

EDIT: Lol I feel stupid :tongue:
EDIT: Sorry for my ignorance. :laugh: Yes that isn't anything knew, I just didn't think of it. :sweat:

Edited by Pixlator, 15 April 2012 - 02:45 AM.

#1094 ChaosMaker

ChaosMaker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 289 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:56 AM

would be great if it had tabs for the scripts instead of windows.
the "child window" are very slow in windows 7.

tabs would make the game maker to become even more like an IDE.
like visual c + +

#1095 Pixlator

Pixlator

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Know what'd be cool? a tab thingy like internet explorer or google chrome. :P
Then you could have a game in 1 tab and an inventory/different room in another. XD

Lol it'd be funny, but no real need for it. :P

Edited by Pixlator, 16 April 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#1096 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

^you already can do that w/ views.
Spoiler

#1097 Pixlator

Pixlator

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Of course, but what I meant was an overly-complicated tab function like used for internet browsers...
Just as a silly joke. :P

#1098 Yal

Yal

Obviously not Tsuka

• Global Moderators
  • 11275 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

I find it ironic that I can find discussions about the bug tracker when googling but not the bug tracker itself.

Suggestion:
When trying to access out-of-bounds cells in a ds_grid (e.g. accessing a negative indice cell) Game Maker should throw an error. Currently _get()ting data from an out-of-bounds cell returns zero and _set()ting data in an out-of-bounds cell does nothing (it'll be gone if you try to retrieve it later). I think this was made intentionally to be user-friendly, but it leads to unexpected behaviour in cases where 0 is an actual value you'll store away. I've ripped my hair out because of this twice; the first time I made the grid too small without noticing, the second time I passed the wrong index value over to a script (and tried to read negative values from the grid); both of these glitches took days to track down but would've been noticed instantly if an error was thrown instead. Throwing an error would likely be friendlier to the users.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines: (all completely free to use, even commercially, as long as you replace all included graphics / music first).
SisterEngine RPG Engine - - YaruFPS 3D Collision Engine -- YaruPlatEngine Platform Engine

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#1099 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

+1

All data structures should throw an error when accessing something that doesn't exist. In addition, since strings start at index 1, trying to retrieve position 0 should throw an error. As it is now, string_char_at("1234", 0) will return "1" instead of throwing an error.

Edited by Big J, 16 April 2012 - 08:35 PM.

2712265.png

#1100 Pixlator

Pixlator

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

Technically no, strings should not return an error for the 0-position in the string.
Having the function auto adjust to 1 is much better and much less of a waste of time then creating an whole error
for it having it return not 0.

Considering 0 means nothing or no value, string_char_at("1234", 0) would mean you want to return nothing or " ". So whats the point?
Just use 1. How hard can it be to take a 0, delete it and replace it with 1? (2 key strokes at most)

Edited by Pixlator, 17 April 2012 - 01:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users