Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:50 AM

Posted Image

hero twin

GMC Topic : http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=483575

When I saw this gameīs topic on the GMC I wasnīt impressed... There was practically no description or blurb about the game, and just a couple of screen-shots coupled with a download link. But that little voice in the back of my head said "this could be an interesting game"! Maybe it was the lack of info, or the sub title of "platformer on top of a rubiks cube", or just plain boredom, but something made me play this. And I can safely say that I am really rather glad I did as itīs a long time since Iīve had to excersise the old mental muscle quite so much!

Posted Image

The first impression you get from the game is one of simplicity. The title screen is pretty, and the menu offers a minimum of choices, with no fancy frills or customisation options. Now normally i like to have more control over how a game plays, but in this case itīs not needed and so itīs not missed... The game itself is divided into two "modes" - the normal game where you can take your time and experiment a bit as well as get to grips with the controls, and a challenge game where you are given a target number of moves to make to complete each level. Itīs here that I must make a small complaint... there really is virtually no difference between the two modes! The target moves are just that, a target, and you suffer no consequences for going over the number, so really itīs just the normal game with slightly different graphics... Maybe I expect too much, but it would have been nice if challenge mode had different levels.

Posted Image

So, how does Nudo play? Well, itīs a rather innovative gameplay mechanic that I really liked. The basic idea is that your character moves using A/D for left and right and W for jumping like in any other platformer while trying to get to the exit, which, in some cases, is hidden and can only be opened by collecting keys or completing some other task. So far so ho-hum, BUT... in this game you have to shift the platforms around using the arrow keys to get to your goal. Itīs a simple concept that gives rise to some pretty mind-bending puzzles, many of which will have you tearing out your hair for a few minutes! The first few levels are pretty easy and serve as a nice introduction to the game, but soon the puzzles start to get trickier as more elements are added into the puzzle mix, like areas where the platforms canīt move, blocks that move as one, or "key" blocks that you have to place ordinary blocks on top of to complete the level.

Posted Image

Graphically, Nudo is pleasant and appealing, without being outstanding, and the same can be said for the sound and music. It fulfills itīs role without distracting the player or getting on their nerves, which is something to be thankful for as many a puzzle game has been ruined by eyesore graphics or sound that ruins rather than compliments the game. The actual core gameplay is solid too, with the platformer aspect well done and bug-free, and each level is well designed with a difficulty curve that is well adjusted so that the player never feels that a level is truly impossible (although at first glance some appear to be!).

Posted Image

So, why do I like this game? Well, itīs a great little puzzler that has some very original gameplay and forces the player to think out of the box! Yes, itīs short and doesnīt have much re-play value, but for the two or so hours that you will be playing I can guarantee that your brain will recieve an excellent work-out and, when you finally finish the game, youīll have a wonderful feeling of having acomplished something... All in all, this is a polished product that deserves lots of attention for itīs original ideas, nice presentation and brain-bending gameplay!

#2 Manuel777

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:44 AM

Excellent review mark! i would say more about the gameplay, but as i havent played the game, i can't comlpain.. (for the moment)
I will step by trough the topic and play this little game, it looks very interesting.. ;)

May this signature be frozen on the old GMC until the end of times. Or YoYo takes it down.

#3 makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:52 AM

I found that the OP was right, it took about an hour for me to complete. Nice review, though.
P.S. I'm only playing this game because you reviewed it. I was at the topic, I saw you reviewed it, and then I played it.

Dunno if that means anything about me, but I just decided to tell you.

Edited by makerofthegames, 15 April 2011 - 05:53 AM.

#4 chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

P.S. I'm only playing this game because you reviewed it.

Me too, so I'm glad someone reviewed it. I would've missed this game otherwise. This is the kind of review choice I like to see here: innovative games that might go unnoticed among the flood of RPG and shooters that dominate this place.

And an excellent review too, by the way.

#5 Terrified Virus

Terrified Virus

Moderators Plaything

• GMC Member
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:41 AM

Wow that is a very well-done review. Fantasticly excellent lol! :D

#6 masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

A good review. One part that caught my attention though was your explanation of the USP of this game:

in this game you have to shift the platforms around using the arrow keys to get to your goal. Itīs a simple concept that gives rise to some pretty mind-bending puzzles, many of which will have you tearing out your hair for a few minutes!

So... quite how does that work? You say you can move them around with the arrow keys, but do you select which platforms to move around with the mouse, or do you cycle through them? Is selecting them part of the challenge at all?

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#7 donjon

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

i also like this and i really like this review