13 replies to this topic

#1 tie372

tie372

Bassist of Death

• 1038 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:05 AM

old

Edited by tie372, 16 September 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#2 tie372

tie372

Bassist of Death

• 1038 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:38 AM

old

Edited by tie372, 11 September 2012 - 04:15 AM.

#3 Jobo

Jobo

Freelancer

• Local Moderator
  • 2708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hello.

Your game gave me a good first impression - through the menu.
However, when I joined a server and windows popped up to ask for permission to open a port in my firewall, and I granted it - the game froze.

so I never really got any further than that..
I'd really like to play the game though.

Edited by Jobo, 27 November 2010 - 03:50 PM.

#4 tie372

tie372

Bassist of Death

• 1038 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

Hello.

Your game gave me a good first impression - through the menu.
However, when I joined a server and windows popped up to ask for permission to open a port in my firewall, and I granted it - the game froze.

so I never really got any further than that..
I'd really like to play the game though.

Yes, someone else had this problem before. I can't remember how they fixed it. I think if you either disable windows firewall while playing, OR (if you don't want to do this for security reasons) if you go into the firewall settings and 'allow' groupGore, it should work (and reboot after allowing it).

#5 Jobo

Jobo

Freelancer

• Local Moderator
  • 2708 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:34 PM

Oh, I just retried it and it seemed even though the game and the permission box froze, the game got allowed. so I just had to reopen it.

Not a big fan of the controls.. everything else looks fine. Too small map though, and you should add different maps :) 1 server per map, for example.

And when you click Escape to change class, you can still change view with the mouse.
And the playersprites really should be holding weapons.. instead of hands shooting..

Edited by Jobo, 27 November 2010 - 08:50 PM.

#6 tie372

tie372

Bassist of Death

• 1038 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:12 PM

Oh, I just retried it and it seemed even though the game and the permission box froze, the game got allowed. so I just had to reopen it.

Not a big fan of the controls.. everything else looks fine. Too small map though, and you should add different maps :) 1 server per map, for example.

And when you click Escape to change class, you can still change view with the mouse.
And the playersprites really should be holding weapons.. instead of hands shooting..

What was wrong with the controls? WASD + Mouse? That's the standard for FPS' and TDS'.

We currently have three new maps in the making (Glade, Warehouse, Crag); they are all much bigger.

Yes, our graphics artist has been...lazy lately.

Thanks for trying the game :]

EDIT: Fixed the view changing when pressing esc bug.

Edited by tie372, 27 November 2010 - 09:24 PM.

#7 Jobo

Jobo

Freelancer

• Local Moderator
  • 2708 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:29 PM

Well, there's was just something about the movement that felt.. strange.
W,A,S,D are good controls for 3D FPS', but not for 2D FPS'.
For 2D FPS' I prefer mouse to control direction, then W=forward (towards mouse), S=backwards (away from mouse), D & A = strafe right/left.
That's how it should be :).

#8 Dylan93

Dylan93

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 867 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

Well, there's was just something about the movement that felt.. strange.
W,A,S,D are good controls for 3D FPS', but not for 2D FPS'.
For 2D FPS' I prefer mouse to control direction, then W=forward (towards mouse), S=backwards (away from mouse), D & A = strafe right/left.
That's how it should be :).

Thats complete nonsense, for TDS/TD games WSAD + Mouse like FPS is just exactly the same as in FPS, it works good.
He could make a option to change the movement.

#9 tie372

tie372

Bassist of Death

• 1038 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

Update:

-Fixed a very serious bug with the server that occasionally caused crashes/problems when multiple players joined.
-Added 2 new maps:

Glade: A grassy meadow separated by a river. Teams fight to control the central house.
Warehouse: A very large industrial-themed map.

Both of these maps haven't received as much attention as bunker has, and will get their own tilesets soon.

As for changing the movement, I'm afraid I don't think this will happen. Having two separate methods of movement allows certain strategies to work better than others and could cause imbalance. The current scheme is standard for most TDS' and people will get used to the control scheme after a few minutes of play if they are used to another system.

Edited by tie372, 28 November 2010 - 07:48 PM.

#10 juand_233

juand_233

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

Men, your game is awesome, i hope one day, maybe one day i can make a game like this :) the boxes are 3d sprites? a 3d model rendered as image or really 3d box?

#11 Jobo

Jobo

Freelancer

• Local Moderator
  • 2708 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:38 AM

The boxes and stuff are made with lengthdir_x(len,dir) and lengthdir_y(len,dir) to create a 2.5D visual effect - is my guess :).

#12 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

Didn't look at the game, just responding to...

The game freezes because it attempts to connect through a port, and the AV stops it mid-way. Even when you click on Allow, the request has stopped, and doesn't restart, so the game sits there waiting for a connection that it's never going to get.

If you select Allow quick enough, it'll work, otherwise, it won't (I have this problem with my game).

-MoK

Note: This comment is purely based on assumption. The above is dictated by a common issue.

#13 tie372

tie372

Bassist of Death

• 1038 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

The boxes use a fake 3d engine to render, basically a bunch of stretched sprites.

Thanks for the note, MasterOfKings.

Hmm...someone tried to join from 2 clients on their own computer...This doesn't work...I'll have to put up a notice for that in-game.

#14 tie372

tie372

Bassist of Death

• 1038 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:48 AM

Update:

-Added full LAN support (in addition to multiplayer).
-Servers now regularly sync with the gG server (so now it accurately displays how many players are on the server, what map, etc.).
-Added some scenery to Warehouse.
-Removed Glade for now.
-9 new skills for Biosmith.
-Much improved server interface.
-More reliable ping-ing.

Edited by tie372, 04 December 2010 - 01:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users