#1 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgBi4Tl32XM

I figured I'd start a topic to see what people think with respect to this (and upcoming 3DS titles) and possibly learn a thing or two. I personally am looking forward to pre-ordering this console as soon as the US release date is announced (the Japanese release is 2/26/11). I am looking forward to the stereoscopic imaging along with the augmented reality (AR). Also, I hope Nintendo redeems themselves in their online department with this console, with the introduction of the new and improved tag mode.

As for games, I am looking forward to the new Street Fighter IV, Mario Kart and the remake of Ocarina of Time are a must, and Kid Icarus Uprising and Starfox 64 look quite promising. What games would you like?

Images
Now, some nice images to show you what this thing looks like (note: I do not take credit for these images):

Posted Image Posted Image

(It is worth noting that only blue and black have been announced as official release colors by Nintendo JP, also, the final version has the joystiq colored gray, not pictured above. Also, the stylus included with the system is a telescoping stylus, hence its absence at the E3 Expo; though the red looks real enticing.)

Games
Below are some of the titles which are planned to make their debut on the new 3DS console. Moreover, Nintendo has announced that they do plan on revamping some N64 titles and releasing them with a 3D effect

Posted Image Posted Image
Man, this Ocarina of time remake better live up to its name!

Now, some quick games which are planned to make their way onto the console:
  • Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time (N64 Remake)
  • Mario Kart 3DS
  • Kid Icarus : Uprising
  • Super Street Fighter IV
  • StarFox 64
  • Animal Crossing
  • Bomberman
  • Tetris
  • Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
  • Pilotwings Resort
  • Nintendogs + Cats
  • Ridge Racer
  • Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
  • Kingdom of Hearts
  • Many many more titles which I have yet to list.

And now, I'll list some quick facts to fire up some discussion here...

• 3 Cameras (2 outside to take 3D images) and one inside
  • Retractable Stylus (hence why they were not present at E3)
  • 3D Depth adjusment slider
  • SD Card slot
  • AR (Augmented Reality)
  • 2 Processors
  • Some say graphics are on par with 360 graphics
  • Virtual Console service announced
  • Better tag system
  • And, an Ocarina of Time remake
  • Generous internal flash memory
  • Internet browsing?
  • And yes, the new Animal Crossing shows proportional bodies :(
  • 2.4 GHz Wireless
  • Nice ample 3.53 inches of 3D effect (top screen)
  • Bottom screen is not 3D.
  • Revamped Mii system.
  • Create Miis from QR codes and from pictures taken via the 3DS
  • Supposedly, a pedometer
  • Many more I'll eventually list...

Any comments about this new console? I personally think it will spark others, but dislike the glossy finish.
*Some of the information presented above may be inaccurate.*
**Mods / Admins : Feel free to close if this does not comply with the subforum's rules.
***This topic has fallen many days behind now, so don't frame e for outdated info.

-Luis

Edited by 2DLuis, 16 March 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#2 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:32 AM

Posted Image part 2.

Edited by 9_6, 07 October 2010 - 12:33 AM.

#3 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:44 AM

I will not pay $300 for this, even though that's not the confirmed price, I am just not going to pay that much. I am looking forward to more word on the price.

#4 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:46 AM

I knew the printing image was bound to come up.

I will not pay $300 for this, even though that's not the confirmed price, I am just not going to pay that much. I am looking forward to more word on the price.

While you are right that this is not the confirmed price, you have to remember that the Wii was more expensive in Japan then here in the US, possibly because of the economy's state in Japan.

#5 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:57 AM

I'm expecting to pay $250. I *may* have to wait for a price drop, though. 250 for a handheld doesn't seem like it's worth it, but this is no ordinary handheld...

#6 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:03 AM

I think that that will be the USD price. No guarantees, for NOA has not announced any price info.
On a side note, the PSP was somewhere in the ballpark of 250 USD on release day...

Also, as stated by a website which bases this off of a Nintendo official PDF, the system is supposed to bring a 2GB SD Card besides the internal memory, also 6 AR game cards, and a charging cradle instead of a plain old charging cable. (So if this is true, I think you could play those 6 AR games out of the box)

However, I do not know the accuracy of this..

Edited by 2DLuis, 07 October 2010 - 01:04 AM.

#7 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2013 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:45 AM

25,000 Yen *pretty much* will *likely* translate into 250$ in America & 250Euro in Europe (probably pushed up to around 275Euro with tax in some countries...)

I really can't see Nintendo being crazy enough to try for 300$/300Euro - it's just too steep in the current economic environment - they'd be shooting themselves in the foot (rather than netting themselves stellar 1st day/week/month sales.)

Personally:
love the concept - 3D effect is *groovy* :),
screen res is *finally* tasty (ie: entire back catalogue of all Nintendo's classics will look perfect with no bad scaling/squashing/cropping) - ie: *perfect NES & SNES games*,
expandable memory (about time!),
GB & GBA games - very very cool - alotta classics here,
supposedly old NES classics like SMB are gonna be re-released "semi 3D-ified" - I'm very curious to see this effect.

*However* I'm not too impressed with Nintendo's game efforts for it yet... all the N64 rehashes smack of laziness (I admit tho that the likes of a perfect, portable Zelda OOT are "must buys")... I'm not sold on KidIcarus yet, it's not first party & I would have much preferred a straight 3D-ified platformer in the same stle as the original tbh, (still, has potential)...
until I see some quality first party *new* games, I'll probably hold off on buying.

Don't get me wrong tho - it's a real nice bit of kit. I love that Nintendo were first (as usual) with the innovative tech (getting no glasses 3D on a handheld.)
I'm sure it'll sell amazingly.

Edited by dadio, 07 October 2010 - 01:46 AM.

#8 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:45 AM

The 3DS seems pretty cool, but it might get boring after a month just like a Wii when it looked amazing.
Gaming these days, you never know... sooner or later they will be holographic.

#9 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

MUST HAVE.

#10 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2665 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

I'm not impressed by this at all, and I used to play a lot on my DS lite.

The graphics are not up to par with xbox360 graphics by any means. Mostly because it's rendering only a tiny bit of the resolution output of the xbox360. It's more on par with GameCube graphics, with some additional shader effects to make it look good. Also, I think the design looks incredibly cheap. I can't take this serious. What's up with the unparallel screens and cheap glossy plastic? They should've taken a better look at the PSP design and build quality.

Speaking about resolution, I'm still wondering why they decided to stick with the tiny resolution screens again. What the hell?!

It's going to print a lot of money, again, but the SD slot better be secure. The Wii can be pirated easily through it's SD slot, and if the same thing happens to the 3DS, Nintendo will make a lot of hardware sales and the quality 3rd party games will be gone, just like what happened with the DS.

#11 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

The graphics are not up to par with xbox360 graphics by any means. Mostly because it's rendering only a tiny bit of the resolution output of the xbox360. It's more on par with GameCube graphics, with some additional shader effects to make it look good. Also, I think the design looks incredibly cheap. I can't take this serious. What's up with the unparallel screens and cheap glossy plastic? They should've taken a better look at the PSP design and build quality.

While I do agree with the fact that glossy design is not good, have you seen the new Snake game graphics? They look pretty XBOX 360...

MUST HAVE.

You bet.

Don't get me wrong tho - it's a real nice bit of kit. I love that Nintendo were first (as usual) with the innovative tech (getting no glasses 3D on a handheld.)
I'm sure it'll sell amazingly.

Yes, they tend to be the pioneers and usually fare quite well.

Edited by 2DLuis, 07 October 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#12 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2665 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

While I do agree with the fact that glossy design is not good, have you seen the new Snake game graphics? They look pretty XBOX 360...

Do you actually own an Xbox360?

I'll show you the difference. Keep in mind that the 3DS only outputs a tiny 800 x 240 (400 x 240 per eye) while the Xbox360 (and PS3) usually output 1280 x 720. That's (1280x720)/(800x240) = 4.8 times as much screen real estate. It should be obvious that the graphics will be relatively great because of the tiny resolution, but that doesn't mean the quality is the same, especially not with trianglecounts, pixel shader quality and particles.

This how Snake Eater looks on the 3DS:

http://dsmedia.ign.c...15024853445.jpg
http://dsmedia.ign.c...849977_640w.jpg
http://dsmedia.ign.c...455289_640w.jpg
http://dsmedia.ign.c...15000457789.jpg

Looks awesome for a handheld game right? Now compare it to actual Xbox360 games:

http://media.teamxbo.../1248214439.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/24noew7.jpg
http://www.gamezone....6828_360_25.jpg

Also, keep in mind that most of the popular Xbox360 games also have a lot of physics for cars, ragdolls and environmental object. You won't see that in 3DS games.

#13 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

Alright, 360 graphics will reign superior, its just that the 3DS graphics are not at all bad for a handheld.

I do not know if this was pre-rendered or was actual in-game footage: http://www.nintendo3...7/mgs3d7710.jpg
And while you are right that the resolution and hence GPU is less than that of a 360, that screen looks pretty sharp (and yes, it may just be because of the small rendering resolution).

Edited by 2DLuis, 07 October 2010 - 08:02 PM.

#14 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:16 AM

Alright, 360 graphics will reign superior, its just that the 3DS graphics are not at all bad for a handheld.

I do not know if this was pre-rendered or was actual in-game footage: http://www.nintendo3...7/mgs3d7710.jpg
And while you are right that the resolution and hence GPU is less than that of a 360, that screen looks pretty sharp (and yes, it may just be because of the small rendering resolution).

You shouldn't compare a handheld to a 360 or a PS3. Compare it with the PSP.

#15 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:43 AM

Yes, I know. The CPU and GPU of a home console will always surpass that of a hand held console. I only wanted to give a reference point, which was pointed faulty above.

#16 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:55 AM

I'm not impressed by this at all, and I used to play a lot on my DS lite.

Have you actually seen one in person?

#17 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:12 AM

I knew the printing image was bound to come up.

It's true though.
I have yet to see someone who doesn't want to have that thing.
It's like natal when it didn't suddenly start to suck.

Also even if the 3d turns out to suck (no one really knows right now after all), you can just switch it off and still have basically a DS with more horsepower than a wii.
It's genius.

Edited by 9_6, 08 October 2010 - 03:15 AM.

#18 epicCreations

epicCreations

Cool As Ace

• 1241 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:40 AM

What's up with the unparallel screens and cheap glossy plastic? They should've taken a better look at the PSP design and build quality.

Unparallel screens? I don't even know what that means...
And the glossy plastic was only for the prototype. In the recent press conference they revealed it will have a matte finish like the original DSi.

Speaking about resolution, I'm still wondering why they decided to stick with the tiny resolution screens again. What the hell?!

It's cheaper. Plus, the bottom screen has gotten larger and the top screen is two screens in one (and fancy screens at that), so I can imagine why they'd stick with slightly smaller screens.

It's going to print a lot of money, again, but the SD slot better be secure. The Wii can be pirated easily through it's SD slot, and if the same thing happens to the 3DS, Nintendo will make a lot of hardware sales and the quality 3rd party games will be gone, just like what happened with the DS.

DSi Mode was never broken, you know.

EDIT: Ah, I probably should have mentioned, in the press conference, they showed some actual statistics on the first party versus third party thing, and it turns out for the DS it was actually about the same. Weird, HUH?

Edited by epicCreations, 08 October 2010 - 03:55 AM.

#19 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3137 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:45 AM

I'm definitely getting the 3DS and it's not for the 3D effect. It's the overall increased performance and the better Wi-fi (my DS lite cannot use my Wi-fi is "too good" for the DS a customer support representative told me), a built-in web browser that can be used while playing a game, etc.

I'm very excited for the 3DS and all of the game support it is getting. I wonder what Sony will pull of with their PSP2 when it has already been confirmed by the Mortal Kombat developers..

#20 epicCreations

epicCreations

Cool As Ace

• 1241 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:44 AM

I'm definitely getting the 3DS and it's not for the 3D effect. It's the overall increased performance and the better Wi-fi (my DS lite cannot use my Wi-fi is "too good" for the DS a customer support representative told me), a built-in web browser that can be used while playing a game, etc.

I'm very excited for the 3DS and all of the game support it is getting. I wonder what Sony will pull of with their PSP2 when it has already been confirmed by the Mortal Kombat developers..

Ah, the DSi had increased WiFi capability (I think it allowed more encryption methods?) but unfortunately that didn't work with DS mode, only DSi mode. So don't get your hopes up; the WiFi might not work with the old DS games.

Unless you are talking about all the games in general. Then, yaknow... xD

#21 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2665 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:23 AM

And the glossy plastic was only for the prototype. In the recent press conference they revealed it will have a matte finish like the original DSi.

The screens aren't lines up perfectly, meaning the overall design looks messy. And who came up with the 2-color concept? By the looks of it, they're actually trying to make it look like a cheap toy on purpose! Sony and Apple are laughing their asses off...

That doesn't change the fact that it's still going to sell like crazy. I guess people are easily satisfied.

It's cheaper. Plus, the bottom screen has gotten larger and the top screen is two screens in one (and fancy screens at that), so I can imagine why they'd stick with slightly smaller screens.

Obviously it is, but that wasn't what I was aiming at. By today's standard, it's already and outdated resolution. Even my iPod has a higher resolution screen, hell, even the PSP has a larger resolution, and that's a previous generation compared to the 3DS!

And this thing is to last another generation? What are they thinking...

EDIT: Ah, I probably should have mentioned, in the press conference, they showed some actual statistics on the first party versus third party thing, and it turns out for the DS it was actually about the same. Weird, HUH?

That's why I said quality 3rd party games. None of them match up to Nintendo's own titles.

#22 epicCreations

epicCreations

Cool As Ace

• 1241 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

The screens aren't lines up perfectly, meaning the overall design looks messy. And who came up with the 2-color concept? By the looks of it, they're actually trying to make it look like a cheap toy on purpose! Sony and Apple are laughing their asses off...

That doesn't change the fact that it's still going to sell like crazy. I guess people are easily satisfied.

Obviously it is, but that wasn't what I was aiming at. By today's standard, it's already and outdated resolution. Even my iPod has a higher resolution screen, hell, even the PSP has a larger resolution, and that's a previous generation compared to the 3DS!

And this thing is to last another generation? What are they thinking...

That's why I said quality 3rd party games. None of them match up to Nintendo's own titles.

I guess I can see what you mean... It does look a little messy, but I'm sure there's some technical reason for the screens not being the same size (or maybe there isn't -_-) and the screen resolution does seem a little shoddy (although there is reason for that too (probably)). I kind of agree with the third-party statement but there were some pretty good third-party games out there. Just... not as many as there were first-party games. :P I'm hoping that will begin to change with this console, but not that much. Nintendo makes epic stuff when they try.

Edited by epicCreations, 08 October 2010 - 09:26 AM.

#23 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

And who came up with the 2-color concept? By the looks of it, they're actually trying to make it look like a cheap toy on purpose! Sony and Apple are laughing their asses off...

You're joking, right? Don't tell me one of the reasons you're not going to buy it, is its color scheme.

Man, the way you hate this it seems like even if it's the next best thing to sliced bread you would still bash it.

#24 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

Really? I have read the press conference on the Nintendo JP site, and didn't find this.
If this is the case, this has made my day :)

#25 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:56 AM

I'm pretty sure the screens are parallel.
I think you mean that one screen is bigger than the other, so you mean they aren't congruent.

I'm pretty sure parallel means that both the screens are not tilted or anything that would make the screens point a different direction. Correct me if I'm mistaken, I'm only in Geometry.

The sizes of the screens are probably not the biggest problem of this console. Probably horrible 3rd party games that might be made on it will make this handheld's reputation go down.

#26 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2665 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

You're joking, right? Don't tell me one of the reasons you're not going to buy it, is its color scheme.

It is, or do you think the device's looks don't matter? Would you like to buy a product that looks like a Fischer-price toy? Would you want to drive a bright pink car with random blue stripes on it?
I hope Nintendo will ship the full-black version, because the dual-color version is just hideous.

Man, the way you hate this it seems like even if it's the next best thing to sliced bread you would still bash it.

Just pointing out the flaws. Don't hate me for not blindly accepting anything with a "Nintendo" sticker on it. I've been a Nintendo player for years.

---

Nintendo announced 3DS battery life will not be as good as the original DS/DS lite.
Source: http://kotaku.com/56...-long-as-the-ds

#27 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

Charge cradle eh?
Does that mean no more playing while charging the batteries?

#28 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

I hope not... if so, Nintendo is really limiting the playing length at one time.
First a step backwards in battery, now it's not being able to play while charging.

I'm sure if you buy any handheld device, you'd want to have a good amount of time to use it before charging it.

#29 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

It is, or do you think the device's looks don't matter?

Of course it doesn't matter. You're not buying a handheld or a console or I hope anything for its looks. You buy it for what it is.

The exception, perhaps, is clothing. But sometimes, even that gets a bit too much.

#30 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2665 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

You're not buying a handheld or a console or I hope anything for its looks. You buy it for what it is.

Except that some people actually have taste, and don't accept a plastic-looking kiddie toy. The point is that they could've put the exact same specifications in a system that does indeed look professionally designed. It seems they're actually getting away with the cheap design too... Nintendo's marketing department must be amazingly skilled.

---

As for that cradle, I hope you can put the recharger cable directly in the 3DS, or it's going to be a real pain for every customer.
What concerns me is the fact that rechargable batteries get worse after time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users