470 replies to this topic

#351 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

It doesn't mean 'Dual Screen'. It did mean 'Developer's System' before launch.

Citation desperately needed. You're correcting me, right? I don't feel very corrected here. :P
EDIT:
For mine: "DS" also stands for "Dual Screen"

I do notice that on the wikipedia page I just linked, it mentions Developer's System, so I suppose it's both?

Edited by makerofthegames, 02 June 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#352 Codifier

Codifier

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

Unofficially, yes. 'Dual Screen' is the one most people go with, but 'Developer's System' was around before that. Regardless, including 'DS' in the name probably doesn't confuse many people.

Edited by Codifier, 02 June 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#353 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

Thank you for repeating yourself and what I already knew and showed that I knew by my post, and for including the ending of your post which was only partially as useless as the rest of your post. The only post on this topic I can tell that is worth less than yours is this one.

#354 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:44 PM

DSiXL was just an offspring of the DS. The 3DS is Nintendo's next gen portable console.

So you're saying that the next-gen portable console cannot be a DS?
Why wouldn't they keep 'DS' in the name?
Of course, they did not call the original DS another Gameboy, but that is because it looks significantly different(X/Y buttons, dual screens, etc.). But '3DS' makes sense, because it combines the terms '3D' and 'DS' into one term, and though it has the 3D effect, the 3DS' shape and button layout does not look significantly different than the original DS. It still retains dual screens, X/Y buttons, and a stylus. Therefore, the 3DS could be considered an offspring of the DS.

If Nintendo were to make another handheld that was not a DS, it should probably look significantly different, in my opinion, with a completely different method of playing it.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tuts/Examples: Ultimate Weapon Arsenal(AI included) | Wall-Jumping | Plasma Pistol/Rifle Overheating System | Cash Register Example | Two Objects In One View
PM me if one or more of my posted examples have a broken link.

#355 quick12

quick12

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:59 AM

My point is that while it looks very much the same, it gives the impression that it is only a DS with 3D. While that is actually what it is to some extent, the 3DS is still a next gen console. Some people have even asked if you can play 3DS games on the DS, just without the 3D. There's actually an older post in this topic somewhere asking that. The point: People are not understanding that the 3DS is a next-gen console.

Edited by quick12, 03 June 2011 - 01:06 AM.

#356 Codifier

Codifier

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Thank you for repeating yourself and what I already knew and showed that I knew by my post, and for including the ending of your post which was only partially as useless as the rest of your post. The only post on this topic I can tell that is worth less than yours is this one.

No need for that. I clarified the difference between the official name and the unofficial, and as the question was raised as to whether the inclusion of 'DS' in the name was a good idea, I gave my opinion.

Edited by Codifier, 03 June 2011 - 12:49 PM.

#357 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

You couldn't have clarified anything to me if what you were clarifying was something I already knew. Your opinion that it probably isn't confusing wasn't needed. :P

#358 Codifier

Codifier

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

No-one's opinion is needed; we seem to be giving them regardless.

I don't know if anyone else is aware, but the pre-order offers for Ocarina of Time have started.

#359 Super Guy

Super Guy

The Real Superman!

• GMC Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

I'm not buying mine until some worthy games are out. The launch games were lackluster.

Oh, where are you Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Sonic and Pokemon???

Yeah, the launch titles were all boring. I thought all the nintendo systems launched with a mario game?

#360 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

Well, the update including the e-store and internet browser is coming out tomorrow. The store launches with a couple of free games too, so that should be good fun.
String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#361 Super Guy

Super Guy

The Real Superman!

• GMC Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

Well, the update including the e-store and internet browser is coming out tomorrow. The store launches with a couple of free games too, so that should be good fun.

Ooh! What are the games? I like free!

#362 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:57 AM

Well, I know there's going to be a free 3d Pokedex "game" as well as a 3d version of an old classic for free download for the first month.

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#363 TifaForce2012

TifaForce2012

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about the 3DS. I mean, I support nintendo's stay in the handheld market (after all, they're the only player that's been there since.. well.. inventing it. so.)

but the 3DS, with its less than fantastic launch and a lack, still, of the games that will sell it.. and having an accelerometer in addition to a screen that's really built to be stationary...

little... disconcerting.

#364 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2763 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

(after all, they're the only player that's been there since.. well.. inventing it. so.)

Did you know that Apple with it's handheld devices (iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad) has a larger market share in the handheld market than Nintendo and Sony combined? That's something to take notice of, although they're not meant for hardcore gamers. (yet I still own an iPod Touch for the 10 million features and applications)

GMCSignature.png

The most advanced GM game yet. Check out the Titan Rush GMC topic here! Developed by Phantom Technology

#365 TifaForce2012

TifaForce2012

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:50 PM

Well, I know there's going to be a free 3d Pokedex "game" as well as a 3d version of an old classic for free download for the first month.

The pokedex is cool, but not system selling for me. Hope all the little pokekids like it.

#366 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:46 AM

ExciteBike was the other free classic until July 7th. I wrote this reply from my 3DS ^^

#367 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:13 AM

Well, I can safely say the Pokedex is amazing (although only if you like Pokemon, I suppose). It definitely shows off the 3DS's new graphical capabilities.
Excitebike is a nice game to get free too.

#368 Super Guy

Super Guy

The Real Superman!

• GMC Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:37 AM

I was gonna guess that the "3d version of a classic" would be the 3DS Cave Story game.

#369 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

Woohoo!!! Super Smah Bros 3DS has been confirmed by Nintendo!!! Posted Image

2a7ubuv.jpg

#370 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

I was gonna guess that the "3d version of a classic" would be the 3DS Cave Story game.

Nope. It's Excitebike. Cave Story is hardly a classic, and it's definitely not one they'd give away for free.

#371 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:15 PM

Nope. It's Excitebike. Cave Story is hardly a classic, and it's definitely not one they'd give away for free.

Cavestory is not even out yet, but they do have the Cavestory DSI version on the eshop for $9.99 USD.

#372 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:50 AM

I got my hands on my 3DS a little while back, thoroughly enjoying it right now and wishing there were homebrew options... I'd love to fiddle around making my own apps for the 3DS honestly, I'd pay a few dollars to get the toolkit just to make a freeware application.
Anyway, loving the console, the 3D effect gives me migraines, but that's just me and I can't even watch 3D movies, so I play in 2D-mode, but still the improved hardware is borderline GameCube quality and playing Zelda OoT3D really was great with the improved audio and visuals. I look forward to many more fantastic titles, rehashes and remakes for this console.

Anyway onto the recent topic of the 3DS being offspring, maybe it is? But honestly the DS did so well and the console itself is so well made that you would wonder why they would change it anymore than they already have? And the DSiXL was made for those with bad eyes and as a money grabber while they worked on the 3DS which dissapointed me because I purchased a DSiXL three days before they announced the 3DS and I felt cheated because the XL was worht almost as much as the 3DS was, and I only got half the price of the 3DS as a trade value for an almost mint XL.

Posted Image EpicZen, Games, Tutorials and more!

#373 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:01 AM

And the DSiXL was made for those with bad eyes and as a money grabber while they worked on the 3DS which dissapointed me because I purchased a DSiXL three days before they announced the 3DS and I felt cheated because the XL was worht almost as much as the 3DS was, and I only got half the price of the 3DS as a trade value for an almost mint XL.

There had been rumours for quite a while at that point. Surely you knew about those...

#374 Afropuff01

Afropuff01

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:15 AM

I just don't know what to think about the 3ds. I miss the old days of Nintendo when everything wasn't so gimmicky. But that's just me.

#375 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

And the DSiXL was made for those with bad eyes and as a money grabber while they worked on the 3DS which dissapointed me because I purchased a DSiXL three days before they announced the 3DS and I felt cheated because the XL was worht almost as much as the 3DS was, and I only got half the price of the 3DS as a trade value for an almost mint XL.

There had been rumours for quite a while at that point. Surely you knew about those...

Around about that time I was working 5-6 days a week for anywhere between 8-10 hours, also had very little access online and spent most of that either playing Xbox or just using MSN... so no, plus I rarely pay attention to rumors.

#376 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

I know the thread is 2 weeks old, but perhaps owners of the 3ds will be interested in this article:

http://newsblaze.com...w/topstory.html

It gives you 20 free VC games if you purchased the 3DS for $249.99 and use the E-Shop before August 11th 11:59PM.
Some of the VC Game giveaways may not even be made public..

#377 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:24 AM

I know the thread is 2 weeks old, but perhaps owners of the 3ds will be interested in this article:

It gives you 20 free VC games if you purchased the 3DS for $249.99 and use the E-Shop before August 11th 11:59PM.

Heard about this on IGN. This is definitely a good move by Nintendo, because the Vita will launch at the same price as the same price as the 3DS did($250). The Vita has technically superior hardware, so leaving the 3DS at $250 will make people notice(techy people mostly) that the Vita is much more worth it in terms of hardware, and 3DS sales would drop significantly.

Still, I'm not considering in buying it until they make a longer battery model(3-5 hours is pitiful compared to my DSLite's 15-19), but I respect Nintendo quite a bit more now, now that they've noticed that selling lower hardware at higher prices(*cough* Apple *cough*) is absurd.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tuts/Examples: Ultimate Weapon Arsenal(AI included) | Wall-Jumping | Plasma Pistol/Rifle Overheating System | Cash Register Example | Two Objects In One View

#378 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 924 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

Heard about this on IGN. This is definitely a good move by Nintendo, because the Vita will launch at the same price as the same price as the 3DS did($250). The Vita has technically superior hardware, so leaving the 3DS at $250 will make people notice(techy people mostly) that the Vita is much more worth it in terms of hardware, and 3DS sales would drop significantly.

Still, I'm not considering in buying it until they make a longer battery model(3-5 hours is pitiful compared to my DSLite's 15-19), but I respect Nintendo quite a bit more now, now that they've noticed that selling lower hardware at higher prices(*cough* Apple *cough*) is absurd.

:/ 3-5 hour battery life? Mine lasts 12 hours, I take the train into the city to study for my course and am up at 6am and back at 9pm, I have my 3DS running the entire time either in sleep mode or playing (and I play it alot during the day) I also tend to have the brightness on maximum, Wireless on and turn off 3D-Mode ( cant use it, I get migraines )

#379 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:29 AM

The Vita has technically superior hardware, so leaving the 3DS at $250 will make people notice(techy people mostly) that the Vita is much more worth it in terms of hardware, and 3DS sales would drop significantly.

Well, maybe in terms of graphics, but the Vita can't do real 3D can it?

#380 vertex67

vertex67

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 515 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

:/ 3-5 hour battery life? Mine lasts 12 hours, I take the train into the city to study for my course and am up at 6am and back at 9pm, I have my 3DS running the entire time either in sleep mode or playing (and I play it alot during the day) I also tend to have the brightness on maximum, Wireless on and turn off 3D-Mode ( cant use it, I get migraines )

I have noticed this too, my 3ds battery lasts much longer than the 3-5 hours that everyone started claiming. I have the brightness set to 4 (second from the top), and can play several 1-2 hour sessions throughout the week before the light turns red

#381 Phantom107

Phantom107

Graphics Enthusiast

• GMC Member
  • 2763 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

Yes, but do you know why they're doing this. It's not going very well with Nintendo:

• Wii game sales are terrible.
  • 3DS game sales are terrible.
  • Nintendo stock value dropped 21%. That's millions of dollars gone.

now that they've noticed that selling lower hardware at higher prices(*cough* Apple *cough*) is absurd.

Not true. When you buy an iPod Touch or iPhone, you not only get a better screen, but better battery and faster hardware than the 3DS, but also iOS which pummels Nintendo's tiny OS in every way. The 3DS's actual output is hurt severely by the double-drawing to make 3D. And a lot of stuff, including Unreal Engine 3, doesn't even run on 3DS because they cheaped out on hardware and doesn't have the required features.

Well, maybe in terms of graphics, but the Vita can't do real 3D can it?

How long will 3D stay interesting? So far it's been everything of a gimmick. It's better to have better graphics on a much higher resolution, physics, AI, networking and level design than to have 3D.

GMCSignature.png

The most advanced GM game yet. Check out the Titan Rush GMC topic here! Developed by Phantom Technology

#382 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

How long will 3D stay interesting? So far it's been everything of a gimmick. It's better to have better graphics on a much higher resolution, physics, AI, networking and level design than to have 3D.

No! I refuse to believe it! I can't have spent all that money on a gimmick! *Starts weeping*

#383 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:55 PM

now that they've noticed that selling lower hardware at higher prices(*cough* Apple *cough*) is absurd.

Not true. When you buy an iPod Touch or iPhone, you not only get a better screen, but better battery and faster hardware than the 3DS, but also iOS which pummels Nintendo's tiny OS in every way. The 3DS's actual output is hurt severely by the double-drawing to make 3D. And a lot of stuff, including Unreal Engine 3, doesn't even run on 3DS because they cheaped out on hardware and doesn't have the required features.

I'm talking about Macs, because I'd rather not buy an i5-based machine with integrated graphics, 4GB RAM, and a 320GB hard drive for 1,000 bucks when I have an i7-based laptop that has 6GB of RAM, a decent graphics card, and a 700GB hard drive for $800.

iPhones themselves are really great, useful devices, retina display is pretty awesome, among many other features, and a very huge appstore. I personally prefer these over Droids. I think iTouches and iPhones have a fine price for what they do.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#384 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:27 AM

Specks shmecks. I'm just disappointing that Starfox didn't come out during my summer break (Dressed up as Fox McCloud two Halloweens ago).

And honestly the 3D function of the 3DS doesn't add any depth to the games at all, I've tried to find out what some people have been saying "it's popping out", at best it looks more like there is a whole going INto the screen. It just makes it to where it looks like your character is floating above the ground a little bit. When I do play StarFox 3DS, I'll prolly turn 3D off, and not use the gymicy gyro controls.

What's the big idea with the huge difference in when the game comes out in the US and when it came out in Japan? It's not like the game wasn't dubbed already.

Edited by Saijee, 31 July 2011 - 02:28 AM.

#385 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

What's the big idea with the huge difference in when the game comes out in the US and when it came out in Japan? It's not like the game wasn't dubbed already.

Well, of course even if it may be dubbed, it takes time for the game to be given proper US standards and whatnot to release the game, as with all Japanese games releasing in the U.S. They will also have to ship all the copies.
Even then, games aren't always just released the moment they are finished.

Edited by daman123125, 31 July 2011 - 07:04 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#386 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

And honestly the 3D function of the 3DS doesn't add any depth to the games at all, I've tried to find out what some people have been saying "it's popping out", at best it looks more like there is a whole going INto the screen. It just makes it to where it looks like your character is floating above the ground a little bit. When I do play StarFox 3DS, I'll prolly turn 3D off, and not use the gymicy gyro controls.

The 3D effect does not make it "pop out", no. It adds depth. It looks like it's a window into another "world", and it's really effective when you try out some of the proper games (like Ocarina of Time). Some things don't use it well, which is probably why you say it doesn't do much.
The gyro controls are supposed to be really good actually, and not gimmicky. I think it could work really well.

#387 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:23 AM

The gyro control is fantastic, especially in Ocarina of Time, it makes aiming the first-person view so much easier, I can use the slingshot and bow like a pro with little effort, opposed to the GC and N64 versions of the game where the aiming was shocking and caused me to bash my controller on a few occasions.

#388 NinjaCatStudios

NinjaCatStudios

GMC Member

• 520 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:22 AM

The thing is, a gyrometer combined with 3D that only works in a specific position?
C'mon.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#389 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

The thing is, a gyrometer combined with 3D that only works in a specific position?
C'mon.

Yes, just move your body rather than the 3DS...

#390 NinjaCatStudios

NinjaCatStudios

GMC Member

• 520 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

C'mon.

That is sill kinda awkward in some situations.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#391 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1878 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

It's called a gyro 'cause you have to gyrate your hips.

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#392 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 924 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:00 AM

C'mon.

Who said you need to have 3D on? Besides, 3D-Mode tends to lower the quality of the scene, you lose anti-aliasing and the quality of texture filters greatly decreases.

#393 NinjaCatStudios

NinjaCatStudios

GMC Member

• 520 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

C'mon.

Who said you need to have 3D on? Besides, 3D-Mode tends to lower the quality of the scene, you lose anti-aliasing and the quality of texture filters greatly decreases.

Yeah, I noticed that the 3D mode kinda makes the anti-aliasing terrible.
I just wish that they removed the 3D so they could either lower the price or have better specs.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#394 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:13 AM

C'mon.

Yeah, I noticed that the 3D mode kinda makes the anti-aliasing terrible.
I just wish that they removed the 3D so they could either lower the price or have better specs.

Remember that Nintendo is aiming towards a more casual audience that are more attracted to innovation over high-specs.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#395 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:20 AM

I don't think they would make it that much cheaper without the 3D.

#396 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:29 AM

^^^ This
The Nintendo 3DS 3D screen isn't actually the most sophisticated technology

#397 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

^^^ This

Apparently, but it's the main appeal of the 3DS. :/ Good thing they're going to lower the price to $169 in 3 days. ^-^
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#398 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

^^^ This

Apparently, but it's the main appeal of the 3DS. :/ Good thing they're going to lower the price to $169 in 3 days. ^-^

Is anyone going to walmart today? I heard the price dropped at walmart earlier (today). I bought the 3DS at it's original price when it first came out, but I was thinking of getting it at Walmart today, and giving it to my older bro since his birthday is coming up soon.

#399 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

I'm not sure if that Walmart thing is a rumor or not, because the price drop will only be effective August 12...
Article from Official Nintendo website: http://www.nintendo....a5CtT45KLrmNkAY
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#400 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

I'm not sure if that Walmart thing is a rumor or not, because the price drop will only be effective August 12...
Article from Official Nintendo website: http://www.nintendo....a5CtT45KLrmNkAY

I happen to have to go to wal mart today anyway, so I guess I'll find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users