#451 emjeeman

emjeeman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

*Steps into thread*

*Sees someone comparing 3DS graphics (a handheld) to Xbox 360 graphics (a console)*

*Leaves thread*

So what exactly do you think is wrong with comparing a handheld's graphics to a console's graphics? Is it because you think a console has better graphics than a handheld? Because that's exactly what your poor wording makes your assumptions out to be. If your logic is true, please tell me how you compare the 3DS (a handheld) with Atari 2600 (a console)? How do you compare the 3DS (a handheld) to NES (a console)? How do you compare the 3DS (a handheld) to Sega Master System (a console)?

Edited by emjeeman, 24 February 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#452 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

*Fanboys aside* PS VITA graphics are on par with PS3 graphics.

#453 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

Ah, no. GPUs cant be that good at the size of the Vita's specs. They can attain similar quality to the PS3 but not on par.

The 3DS can get similarly powerful imagery as the Wii/GC but cant output the same visuals all the time in real time. It'd be like saying the Xbox can look as good as the Xbox 360, it could if someone really tried to, but definitely not in realtime and of course there's the physical hardware constraints.

#454 Axle the Beast

Axle the Beast

Chimera

• 145 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

You know that right circle pad? I see no reason why anyone would buy it unless it expanded the battery life for the 3DS by at least 5 hours.

I don't get what the stigma about the Circle Pad Pro is. It's an optional add-on, that every existing game that supports it does not actually require. I've played the Snake Eater 3D and Resident Evil: Revelations demos. They work fine without the Circle Pad Pro, but I can guarantee you they'd be better with it. All it does is add more buttons and some more quicker functionality, particularly with shooters, for the crowd that this appeals to. It would have been better to simply include it as part of the console itself rather than a peripheral, but it does no harm to anyone.

Battery life is a little low, yeah. Wish Nintendo had done better on that. But it's not so bad that it's completely crushing; have you turned the brightness all the way down and shut down the wireless while you play offline? That should reduce battery consumption.

#455 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2437 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

You know that right circle pad? I see no reason why anyone would buy it unless it expanded the battery life for the 3DS by at least 5 hours.

I don't get what the stigma about the Circle Pad Pro is. It's an optional add-on, that every existing game that supports it does not actually require. I've played the Snake Eater 3D and Resident Evil: Revelations demos. They work fine without the Circle Pad Pro, but I can guarantee you they'd be better with it. All it does is add more buttons and some more quicker functionality, particularly with shooters, for the crowd that this appeals to. It would have been better to simply include it as part of the console itself rather than a peripheral, but it does no harm to anyone.

Battery life is a little low, yeah. Wish Nintendo had done better on that. But it's not so bad that it's completely crushing; have you turned the brightness all the way down and shut down the wireless while you play offline? That should reduce battery consumption.

Even with lowest cost, my battery died in sleep mode :(

#456 Axle the Beast

Axle the Beast

Chimera

• 145 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

Why was it in sleep mode though? Did you have a game running or...? If the internet is on while it's in sleep mode, it can be downloading stuff. Even if it's not doing anything, it clearly consumes power. Sleep mode isn't generally something it should be left in indefinitely. If you're not going to use it, you should turn it off.

#457 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

Ah, no. GPUs cant be that good at the size of the Vita's specs. They can attain similar quality to the PS3 but not on par.

The 3DS can get similarly powerful imagery as the Wii/GC but cant output the same visuals all the time in real time. It'd be like saying the Xbox can look as good as the Xbox 360, it could if someone really tried to, but definitely not in realtime and of course there's the physical hardware constraints.

Obviously handhelds generally can't nearly match the power of the current-gen consoles, but in a relative world, Vita's graphics do look close to console graphics on the small screen.
Also 3DS *relatively* looks around Wii-ish quality from what I've seen(have a 3DS).

I still love both handhelds though. Only real problem with this generation's handhelds is the paltry battery life. I simply cannot feel safe leaving the 3DS/Vita on without an outlet nearby. That is also why it kills the point of me having a 3G Vita if it's impractical to leave it on sleep for long periods of time unlike smartphones. I guess this will be solved as hardware revisions come about, but even when the PSP and DS came out for the first time the battery wasn't so terrible.

#458 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

3G isn't supported by many games though so there is little use of leaving the radio on...

#459 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2437 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

Why was it in sleep mode though? Did you have a game running or...? If the internet is on while it's in sleep mode, it can be downloading stuff. Even if it's not doing anything, it clearly consumes power. Sleep mode isn't generally something it should be left in indefinitely. If you're not going to use it, you should turn it off.

I have lowest brightness and internet turned off. I use sleep mode on the 3DS because the 3DS start up buffer is so annoying.

#460 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:48 AM

This is why the 'sleep' modes in 3DS and Vita are useless for long periods of times. I can't remember the last time my family members have legitimately turned off their iOS devices...

#461 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

This is why the 'sleep' modes in 3DS and Vita are useless for long periods of times. I can't remember the last time my family members have legitimately turned off their iOS devices...

I think you're looking at the sleep mode on the 3DS the wrong way, isn't it mostly for street pass? Or if you want to count your steps? (or how many times your car bumps on the road)

#462 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Yes, it is used for streetpass, spotpass, game goins and to passively download eshop games.

#463 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

I think you're looking at the sleep mode on the 3DS the wrong way, isn't it mostly for street pass? Or if you want to count your steps? (or how many times your car bumps on the road)

I use it a lot though after playing 1-2 hours of 3DS games before going out somewhere, and it gets red by the time I get home.
It has never legitimately died on me, but I have to charge it daily.

By the way, I've only ever gotten two people on StreetPass. ಠ_ಠ

Edited by daman123125, 28 February 2012 - 04:07 AM.

#464 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:17 AM

Lucky, I only have one on streetpass.

#465 Monstr Gaming

Monstr Gaming

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

got 28 streetpass :) though about 7 are from school.

I considered waiting for PSV and I'd say it is probably better but 2 reasons why I didn't:
1 = more of my friends will have 3ds
2 = wanted next pokemon (gutted when I realised pokemon black 2 is on ds)

#466 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2437 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

I've only 2...

#467 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

307 streetpasses. The battery life is pretty good. Granted, I don't play it often, I carry it to and fro school and only charge it once a week / 1.5 weeks

#468 Monstr Gaming

Monstr Gaming

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

307 streetpasses. The battery life is pretty good. Granted, I don't play it often, I carry it to and fro school and only charge it once a week / 1.5 weeks

I'm not sure if you've got it right... :/
If it says "Plaza population: 307" then that's both streetpass miis and miis from online games.

I haven't considered 307 strretpasses possible, unless you live in Japan :D

EDIT: And trust me. The battery life is not good 5 hours on lowest brightness, no 3D, no sound and if your playing a DS game. The DS lite did at least 4x that I think.

Edited by Monstr Gaming, 02 March 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#469 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

Honestly, I don't know how Nintendo stays in buissness in the U.S With Kinect and PlayStation move the only thing nintendo has left is their portable systems but even that is being murdered by the PSV and iPod Touch. The 3DS was nintendos last chance to put something original on the market but I don't think it was enough to keep them going. They already had to lower the price of it. Nintendo just isn't super popular here. (At least in my corner of the Earth it isn't.)

#470 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

Honestly, I don't know how Nintendo stays in buissness in the U.S With Kinect and PlayStation move the only thing nintendo has left is their portable systems but even that is being murdered by the PSV and iPod Touch. The 3DS was nintendos last chance to put something original on the market but I don't think it was enough to keep them going. They already had to lower the price of it. Nintendo just isn't super popular here. (At least in my corner of the Earth it isn't.)

1. Wii outsold Xbox and PS3.
2. 3DS outsold the PSV so much it's not even funny, especially in Japan. Hell, PSP even outsells Vita still.
3. 3DS sold double the DS did in America in one year.
4. Lowering the price was a good decision, and something I think Sony needs to do for its memory cards imo.

I like the Vita, but Sony has made several terrible business decisions that sorely limits its potential. Hopefully these will be fixed up later on, but we'll see.

As far as I'm concerned, I've never really been pissed off at anything Nintendo has ever done except for the invention of the Circle Pad Pro instead of including a second analog stick in the first place.
Nintendo has done well so far, I don't see why you say they aren't "super popular".

#471 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

I'm not sure if you've got it right... :/
If it says "Plaza population: 307" then that's both streetpass miis and miis from online games.

I haven't considered 307 strretpasses possible, unless you live in Japan :D

EDIT: And trust me. The battery life is not good 5 hours on lowest brightness, no 3D, no sound and if your playing a DS game. The DS lite did at least 4x that I think.

Yes, you are right. I meant to say I have just below 200 unique streetpasses and well over 300 passes with MK7. I've gotten up to 6 hours on lowest brightness, with wireless off..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users