• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#31 SPARKY07

SPARKY07

GMC Member

• 11 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:24 AM

I just found the solution!! All you need is the East Asian language files. It also gives Korean and Chinese display as well!!

#32 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

I'd also like to see support for Unicode, not just for Japanese. Korean is another big game market that's probably even juicier than Japan, seeing as they (stereotypically?) love spending their time gaming on their PC and Samsung phones. It's probably one of the features that would be easiest to add to GameMaker (fairly trivial in openGL, most likely the same in DirectX). 

We localised You Still Won't Make It to Spanish, French, and Dutch, but we were a bit disappointed that we couldn't get Russian, Korean and Japanese in there too.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the Japanese code in Romaji? I have a really hard time imagining a function like システムを読む(int 数); , and every major operating system in existence was developed by English speakers, so the API's are all in English. A mix of Japanese-writing and English-writing functions would look strange.

Japanese culture(and probably other Asian cultures) doesn't necessarily translate well to English. 

It's not as different as you think. English is really one of the very few languages that has dumped hierarchical language for the most part (compare 'Do you want water John?' to 'Would you like some water Mr. Thompson?'), travel a bit south to Mexico and you'll get enough honorifics and grammar-formality conjugations to tear your hair out. And a close equivalent of -chan in the form of the diminutive conjugation. It's not so much the language but it's more of a cultural thing. Language reflects culture and many 'intimate' cultures consider us Anglos 'dry'... according to many of my Mexican friends, anyways. Which greatly annoyed me. :lol:

#33 dannyjenn

dannyjenn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2736 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

In any case, I'm pretty sure the Japanese code in Romaji? I have a really hard time imagining a function like システムを読む(int 数); , and every major operating system in existence was developed by English speakers, so the API's are all in English. A mix of Japanese-writing and English-writing functions would look strange.

I think they just use English.

I once saw some BASIC code written in Chinese somewhere though.

#34 LukanSpellweaver

LukanSpellweaver

I juice crafty things

• GMC Member
  • 2509 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:12 AM

Exactly.
This also reminds me of something I thought of a long while ago...
I'm guessing that Mark using Delphi was the reason for no Unicode support...
but I'm wondering if multilingual versions *of GameMaker itself* is something that YoYo have given thought to?

I've always felt that a Japanese language version of GameMaker in particular would be a huge hit. The "game hack" community in Japan (pumping out original SMW levels & heavily modding old NES games etc.) is pretty active... & games in general are *mega-popular* there...
but most Japanese don't have a very good grasp of English, so GM would be out of reach.
I think that a Japanese GM would go down a real treat in Japan (& that we'd see some truly stunning games...)

High population, very low piracy rate, probably highest game interest in the world - seems to me that it would be a good move by YoYo to tap into this (potentially massive) market.

(I realize there's more to it than "Woohoo! Let's do it!" - GML is English based & would still offer a hurdle to potential Japanese devvers... & there would be expenses invloved in general support for a Japanese version - but still, something worth thinking about.)

Actually most Japanese learn English in school, they just prefer their native tongue.

So, most Japanese people who are smart enough to use a computer, should grasp GM no problem.

#35 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

Actually most Japanese learn English in school, they just prefer their native tongue.

So, most Japanese people who are smart enough to use a computer, should grasp GM no problem.

You do realise you're talking to someone who lived in Japan for 10 years of his life? :P 

It's true that Japanese people learn English in school. However, if you actually meet any Japanese raised-in-Japan individual, he'll most likely be really insecure about his English level. In general the English abilities of Japan are not very good (to put it nicely). So, before you say they 'learn' English in school, I'd like to invite you to go to Japan and try to strike a conversation in English with a random passerby. If you're lucky, you'll get semi-decent Engrish. ;)

#36 LukanSpellweaver

LukanSpellweaver

I juice crafty things

• GMC Member
  • 2509 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

I know that they are uncomfortable with their spoken English, but I thought their ability to read and write English was generally acceptable.

Thanks for the info though!

I've been studying Japan a little because I have high hopes of visiting someday!

Also, if you try to speak to them in English directly, without a proper greeting in Japanese, most of them will refuse conversation.

#37 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

Also, if you try to speak to them in English directly, without a proper greeting in Japanese, most of them will refuse conversation.

Probably because of the aforementioned low self-esteem regarding their English skills, not because they are offended or anything. If they do speak English they won't hesitate in showing it off and/or attempting to get more practice. 

#38 Kimidori

Kimidori

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 551 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

GMS already supported japanese text

#39 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 9160 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

@SPARKY07: Don't you realize the last post was over one year ago? Things have changed... for the better. :)

Don't necrobump topics again.

#40 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3918 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

You do realise you're talking to someone who lived in Japan for 10 years of his life? :P

It's true that Japanese people learn English in school. However, if you actually meet any Japanese raised-in-Japan individual, he'll most likely be really insecure about his English level. In general the English abilities of Japan are not very good (to put it nicely). So, before you say they 'learn' English in school, I'd like to invite you to go to Japan and try to strike a conversation in English with a random passerby. If you're lucky, you'll get semi-decent Engrish. ;)

a random japanese passerby is not the average GM user. Typically GM-users are younger (more stress on internationality), higher educated & more international orientated (internet etc).

Anyway, lack of unicode support is annoying, @Yal, last I checked (start of this summer) you were still limited to a very small subset of unicode with only a small character set. However people have to realize that the way GM works -include an image of each letter for each font- will not work for unicode. GM has to revert back to the GM5 graphical/font engine for that.

#41 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

I tried sticking some 日本語 in a game just to test the new functionality, I couldn't get the text to display in-game no matter how hard I tried (this was in 1.2.1130). Maybe it's because my project is old or something. True Unicode support would be nice. 

@SPARKY07: Don't you realize the last post was over one year ago? Things have changed... for the better. :)

Don't necrobump topics again.

Hehehe... I didn't notice this was a year old. -_-

Topic locked. Go here to discuss this further...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users