100 replies to this topic

#31 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

Yes I just re-mentioned the profile version field suggestion of mine in the 'good look new admins topic' (perhaps no one read my post between all the lol cats). The original topic was posted here:
Registered / Gm Version Field On Profile Info

Also a very minor suggestion but I also still like this idea also:
Adding Tag Line To Tutorials Submission Template

#32 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4775 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Just a little update. We are taking your requests quite seriously. Changes are being made, others are being discussed.

I know many of you will be pleased to hear that the Cage Match is almost certainly coming back. Expect to read more about it and possibly some other interesting developments soon.

I've built what is needed to make the code highlighter here more like Game Maker's. Now it's just a matter of installing a couple of support files, which I am unable to do personally. It does not appear to be technically possible to add all of the built-in functions to the highlighter without making changes to the core system. If the core is ever updated to support more types of elements, I'll see about adding function names.

On a related note, we will be increasing the number of emotes allowed in posts to better accommodate drag-and-drop users. Of course, this puts us all at the risk of smilie overload.

Also a very minor suggestion but I also still like this idea also:
Adding Tag Line To Tutorials Submission Template

Wow, not sure how I missed that topic. I'll give tags some definite consideration. Sorry I didn't see that request two years ago. :(

#33 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

Awesome. xot, Fred, you deserve a cookie. *Gives xot and Fred a GIANT cookie*

#34 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

I definitely think making the code colours the correct colours is good. At the moment it is possible to use the highlighted on gmlscripts, but it's impractical and there isn't a GM8 highlighter.
One an unrelated note - why isn't there a reputation-plus button for the Admins?

#35 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

As everyone's slipping in ideas.. :whistle:

I'd like to see support for the PS3 web browser. Because of some weird WinXP glitch, my only net access is through my PS3, and a lot of things look retarded on my PS3's web browser.

If you've got a PS3 with net access, open up the browser via the Network section of the XMB, and look around the GMC.

GMC on PS3 = Fail.

#36 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

I know many of you will be pleased to hear that the Cage Match is almost certainly coming back. Expect to read more about it and possibly some other interesting developments soon.

:)

*blesses xot and fred*

#37 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:02 PM

:)

*blesses xot and fred*

Don't forget Ablach Blackrat - he'll probably be the one doing most of the work on the Cage Match, as usual. ^_^

#38 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4775 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

Another little update.

We've finally got the team icons working again. Thanks go to Mike Dailly for copying the files. Finding the originals required some sleuthing with archive.org but I eventually found them. Posted Image <-- oh, yeah, those things

I've updated the code highlighter to look more like Game Maker. Colors were obviously easy. Adding keywords was too. Fixing the regex to handle strings and literals correctly was a little more work. Thanks again to Mike for uploading the files.

The mobile skin is now selectable from the bottom of the page for mobile users who have had difficulty getting the forums to display the version they prefer.

EDIT:
And one more thing. You should now be able to upload a photo image to you're profile. If your using a photo associated with your Facebook or Twitter account, you must disable that setting and remove your current photo before you can upload a new one.

Edited by xot, 09 October 2010 - 04:36 AM.

#39 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

On a related note, we will be increasing the number of emotes allowed in posts to better accommodate drag-and-drop users. Of course, this puts us all at the risk of smilie overload.

Let me be the first to say, ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao::!!!!!!!

Oh, and...
var a;
a=random(5);
if (a==random(5)) {                          //Checks to see if a is equal to random(5).
show_message("This code is broken.");
}

Edited by makerofthegames, 08 October 2010 - 10:31 PM.

#40 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:06 PM

Less green (I´m using a greasemonkey script by Takagi* (I think!) atm... Fred, check it out as it´s perfect!) and more Cage Match!!!!

*read "Tangible Lime"

I'll look into that. I'm not sure how flexible this will be, but I'd like to at least make a few simple clean-ups to the theme we are using now. :)

#41 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3535 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:09 PM

Its nice to have mods with spare time :)

#42 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:20 PM

Just curious, but would it be possible to make it so users could 'link' their Personal Photos like they do with their Avatars(I.E. Upload a Personal Photo to imageshack)?

Also, I think the topic/forum icons need to be redone. They dont look that good IMO.

#43 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

Just curious, but would it be possible to make it so users could 'link' their Personal Photos like they do with their Avatars(I.E. Upload a Personal Photo to imageshack)?

Also, I think the topic/forum icons need to be redone. They dont look that good IMO.

I'm playing around with the CSS (using Firebug) right now, and there are major improvements that can be made, both with graphics and with styling in general. If I have enough free time this weekend, and nobody on the staff or membership complains too loudly, I might change some of it around. It's pretty awful.

#44 Magikarp

Magikarp

Dark Age Owner

• GMC Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:24 AM

How's that Game Maker version thing everyone was discussing earlier coming? Will it be possible for the administrators to add it?

#45 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:09 AM

How's that Game Maker version thing everyone was discussing earlier coming? Will it be possible for the administrators to add it?

One of the 'issues' the admin have with that is how many options to add? I mean, there is GM4Mac, GM5-6-8.... although GM5 is rarer. :P
There's actually a clever way that the user(that's right, admin not needed!) can do this.

Write it in your signature.
It's customisable! You can add as many versions as you like!
It's visible! It's under every post you make!
It's easy! Simply go to your account, and hit 'edit sig!'

All that, but also retains the users ability to not use this feature!

#46 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:22 AM

Because it doesn't matter if people who frequent the forums enough to know to put it in their signature actually do it (if you, Desert Dog, asked a question it's a given that you're capable of figuring out how to fit the solution to your needs), but if someone who has never read the Community Forums, never browsed the rules, and doesn't have a clue that people tend to place that info in their signatures, creates an account just to ask a question, it's relevant. The first place the board links you (or used to), is where you edit your profile. If one of the fields is GM Version, with a drop-down menu of choices, it's obvious that they would fill out this information. I don't see why some can't understand this.

There's really no debating this, so I'm not going to rebut any pessimism about a very relevant and useful feature that should be implemented. Doing so just made me angry in the last topic. :P

Edited by BBGaming, 09 October 2010 - 04:24 AM.

#47 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4775 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:28 AM

It's not possible to link them, but it is possible to upload images now. I forgot to mention that in my last update. If you are already using a photo associated with your Facebook or Twitter account, you must disable that setting and remove your current photo before you can upload a new one.

#48 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:39 AM

Because it doesn't matter if people who frequent the forums enough to know to put it in their signature actually do it (if you, Desert Dog, asked a question it's a given that you're capable of figuring out how to fit the solution to your needs), but if someone who has never read the Community Forums, never browsed the rules, and doesn't have a clue that people tend to place that info in their signatures, creates an account just to ask a question, it's relevant. The first place the board links you (or used to), is where you edit your profile. If one of the fields is GM Version, with a drop-down menu of choices, it's obvious that they would fill out this information. I don't see why some can't understand this.

There's really no debating this, so I'm not going to rebut any pessimism about a very relevant and useful feature that should be implemented. Doing so just made me angry in the last topic. :P

Point noted. I don't really dislike the idea, and I'm all for cool&neat (if pointless) features. And I do think it'd be a bit pointless.. you've posted 800x's or so in the novice Q&A, and I've posted about that, too. Thinking of it.. how many times was knowing the version reeally necessary?

But as you say, this debate has been over several times over, methinks. The thing that makes me poke fun of it, is that the advocates of it don't actually 'practice' what they preach, (so to speak) and actively write their GM version in their sig, or whatever.

#49 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

The thing that makes me poke fun of it, is that the advocates of it don't actually 'practice' what they preach, (so to speak) and actively write their GM version in their sig, or whatever.

I don't want to waste space in my sig putting the GM version, it looks bad doing so (plus I have viewing signatures turned off now). As BBGaming said I don't want to start debating this again either. :rolleyes:

Feels the anger levels starting to rise lol.

Edited by flexaplex, 09 October 2010 - 11:40 AM.

#50 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

Point noted. I don't really dislike the idea, and I'm all for cool&neat (if pointless) features. And I do think it'd be a bit pointless.. you've posted 800x's or so in the novice Q&A, and I've posted about that, too. Thinking of it.. how many times was knowing the version reeally necessary?

Increasingly, actually. I was recently asked to write a destructible terrain engine for somebody, and before I knew it I wrote it in GM7. They preferred GM8, so I had to re-write how it handled transparency, how sprites and surfaces were drawn to, and work around this weird glitch where GM8 smoothed the edges differently. If posters forget to mention they're using GM4Mac it may become a bigger hassle.

EDIT: Easy, Flex, Zee isn't here yet...

Edited by BBGaming, 09 October 2010 - 11:38 AM.

#51 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8285 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

I like the idea of a field or fields that can be used to indicate what version(s) one uses. My only hesitation is that people then expect it to be incumbent on others to read it before giving help.

It is always the responsibility of those seeking help to provide as much information in their posts as they can, without the expectation that those helping them read signatures or member information for other important information. Rarely do I give signatures and member information anything but a casual glance, but I do foresee circumstances where somebody posts a Q&A answer, not noticing the member has a different version than what was provided.

This is also compounded by the fact that as one becomes comfortable with the current version, remembering in detail what functions and syntax are in previous versions becomes a blur.

Having said that, I still do like the idea of GM version fields, if not for curiosity about who runs what, I'm especially interested in how many are running GM4Mac.

#52 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

I just noticed the new banner. Very nice. Really brightens the mood. One thing that you should do now though, is give that little notification/logout box(Where it shows your Personal Photo and username)an outline, so it fits in a bit more. But all in all, it looks prety good. Also, thanks for adding Personal Photo uploading. Now I dont have to see that Green Man every time I visit my profile.

#53 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

I'm not so sure (if the field is added) that using drop down options is the best way to go. Seems better to me if people just typed what version(s) they use.

#54 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4775 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

I pretty much agree 100% with NPT and the GM version in the profile thing. I think that we should all concentrate more on putting relevant information in our posts in the first place, including what version of GM we are using. That's just common sense. Sometimes information in a profile or signature may be misleading or irrelevant, or because of their dynamic natures, could become irrelevant at any time. It's not unlike the problem with members who answer questions by referring to something posted in their signature. It might make sense at the time, but signatures change, and replies become useless -- or are useless from the start for visitors who are not logged in.

If a GM version field is added to profiles, I'm mainly interested in it as trivia, not as vital information or an excuse to be lazy under the guise of "efficiency".

#55 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7470 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

My only hesitation is that people then expect it to be incumbent on others to read it before giving help.

I agree. But I think this is the intention of those who keep asking for it. They think it'll help the Novice section. But it won't make any difference.

Most questions there are so basic, version doesn't matter. Plus, many responders don't even read the question right, so what makes anyone think they'd look at a profile? But it's harmless either way.

I just noticed the new banner. Very nice.

I was disappointed to see it. The white version was better for this forum. I would have also changed the YoYo logo to white.

The GMC should be slightly "independent" from YoYo Games. "Affiliated", but not "part of". Unfortunately with the official logo in the banner, the GMC just looks like part of YYG.

Not a big deal, but I liked the banner being slightly different than the YYG pages.

#56 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4775 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Unfortunately with the official logo in the banner, the GMC just looks like part of YYG.

Well, as long as YYG pays the bills, I think they can have whatever banner they want. Branding is very important to them. They don't want there to do be any doubt that the GMC is part of YYG. Beyond that, they are extremely flexible about how this community is run, and I think they deserve some thanks for that.

#57 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3137 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

I like how the logo is there but it seems to me the banner is lighter which looks pretty ugly to me, but meh it is fine. I thought the logo before was already good enough.

#58 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

I just noticed the new banner. Very nice.

I was disappointed to see it. The white version was better for this forum. I would have also changed the YoYo logo to white.

I disagree. The white logo was kind of hacked together, and it didn't look like the actual Game Maker logo to me. I think it's better that we use the actual logo.

We also cannot change the YYG logo to white because it is not our logo to change. YYG is gracious enough to foot the bill for this forum, and I think that, at the very least, that entitles them to have their logo, unchanged, at the top of the forum.

And hey, there's also the fact that, when they changed the forum software last time, the GMC logo is back in the upper left corner, where it belongs.

The GMC should be slightly "independent" from YoYo Games. "Affiliated", but not "part of". Unfortunately with the official logo in the banner, the GMC just looks like part of YYG.

Not a big deal, but I liked the banner being slightly different than the YYG pages.

That's just how you look at it, though. In reality, the GMC is part of YYG. A pretty big part, I would argue, since we help people learn the program here. I included the green version of the header from Tangible Lime's version up there too a bit, which also hearkens back to the days of the old, blue, GMC. How can you argue with history? :D

I like how the logo is there but it seems to me the banner is lighter which looks pretty ugly to me, but meh it is fine. I thought the logo before was already good enough.

It is lighter than it was, but I think it sits well with the darker bands around it (I might change one of those, though) and the other light green color used elsewhere in the forum.

#59 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

It looks better now. Will an alternative skin option ever be available though? I still somewhat miss blue :(

Edited by flexaplex, 09 October 2010 - 05:20 PM.

#60 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

Who changed the damn banner? It looks even more retarded on my PS3 now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users