100 replies to this topic

#1 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:26 PM

I've decided to post some of my suggestions for the forums. Now that I see that we have some new, more active admins who will actually see this, I thought it would be a good idea to post it now. Anyway, I have here a somewhat long list of suggestions, but it should be worth the read(Hopefully)...

The Theme

I'm sure most of us have gotten used to the new forum theme by now, but I still have a few suggestions:

1. Finish the theme. There are still many things which have been left unedited from the normal IPB theme, such as the "Post New Top" button for example. Those need to be converted to the new style.

2. A more smooth look for Internet Explorer users. I dont know if its just the browser or not, but if you view the site in IE and then Fire Fox, you'll notice the difference. I've taken some screenshots to show you what I mean: GMC Viewed In Fire Fox 3.0.19 | GMC Viewed In IE8

3. A bit less green. I know, I know, its YoYo's official color, but I'm sure all of you have heard the phrase 'to much of a good thing'. It would be nice if they would remove some of the green. i.e. on the Board Index, the backgrounds behind the forum names are varying shades of green, as is 80% of the page. They should include a bit more gray or some other color.

4. This kind of ties in with #3, but I highly suggest more contrast. Especially on the board index. The forum names are green. This blends in heavily with the rest of the page. They need more contrast here.
5. Just a minor thing, but if you look on the IE8 screenshot I posted above, you can see the header background starts repeating. Again, just a minor thing, but it would make it look alot more proffesional.

6. Another minor thing. We dont really need the YoYo Watermark behind the normal YYG logo. Its hardly noticeable, but I find it to be annoying.

7. The topic and forum icons are horrible. Something like the old ones would be better, in my opinion(Though instead of suit cases/brief cases they look like pieces of text or something).

The Forum

I have alot of suggestions for the forum in general. These are mainly new features/improvements. Many will require some effort on the admins', such as creating "Forum Plugins"(Or whatever)and other things, but a few of them would be worth it. Also, the "plugins" shouldnt be to hard to develop, many GMC users have already created them, they are just un-official.

1. What the hell is up with the color coding? Is that HTML or something? They should change this to Game Makers color coding, so its less confusing. Also, a little bonus: Have an option in your profile to choose GM7 color coding and GM8 color coding. That way, everyones happy.

2. A "Game Maker Version" thing in your profile. This is a minor, but cool thing.

3. Minor thing, again. Remove the "** Approved For GM4Mac Beta **" message on the GM Mac board section.

4. Cage Match. Something thats been bugging me for a while. I have a few suggestions to bring this back:
4.1. Create some kind of plugin that will display this weeks cage match competitors on the Board Index. This would include a link to the Cage Match topic. This could be as simple as a collapsable 'box' along the side like the "Recently Added Topics" and "Watched Content" box's.
4.2. Make it its own forum. Its hard to find when its hidden at the bottom of the Creations forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope these ideas have been helpfull. Please feel free to provide critism, but dont flame. Thanks,

-CoG :ph34r:

Edited by commander of games, 04 October 2010 - 09:11 PM.

InvaderX.gif

#2 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

I agree with everything you have said, but somethings sound like they may take a while to be implemented, so don't get your hopes up if an administrator says they'll do something.

Also, the rounded look that's not in IE: it's because IE can't render these things. I read the reason on a web design blog somewhere, I'll try and get a URL sometime.

#3 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

Also, the rounded look that's not in IE: it's because IE can't render these things. I read the reason on a web design blog somewhere, I'll try and get a URL sometime.

Oh. Well, that sucks.

I'm actually starting to consider switching to Fire Fox. :/ All I need is an Anti-Aliasing Add-On(I cant stand reading text without AA for very long).

InvaderX.gif

#4 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4777 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

The Theme

1. This something I totally agree with and it is currently under discussion.

2. That's because of Internet Explorer's incomplete implementation of CSS3. Microsoft says border-radius will be supported from version 9 onward. Not much we can do without major tinkering with the theme.

3. I think green is here to stay, but there are some color tweaks I'd like see made here or there. See 1.

4. Will be sure to take this into consideration. See 1.

5. I'll see what I can do about that. This is another Internet Explorer problem. It's caused by its mishandling of 32-bit PNG images.

6. I don't see that changing. Sorry.

The Forum

1. Not sure, I think it is generic C or ECMA script coloring. We'll look into it. There are a lot of things I don't like about the new code tags, but not much that can be changed. I don't know how easy it is to make it more language specific, but if it is possible, we'll try to make it so -- within reason. Compared to other languages, Game Maker has a huge number of keywords, and supporting every one of them puts load on the system the user's system.

2. I don't personally see problem with this idea but we need to discuss how it should be implemented. I use 4 versions of Game Maker.

3. Can't set this optionally, but there is a special link to a merged forum listing provided by Zarplax Software at the top of the forum index.

4. 3. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix that. (ed: FIXED)

5. 4. I don't really have a response for this suggestion at this time, but I'm eager to here any ideas about improving the Cage Match.

Edited by xot, 06 October 2010 - 04:27 PM.

GMLscripts.com, rise from your grave!

#5 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

Regarding the rounded corners in Internet Explorer, you should try the IE9 beta if you're using a compatible OS. I think they've cleaned up a lot of IE's CSS incompatibilities with that release.

A word of warning, though - I don't think you can revert to your old version of IE once you upgrade. Not that you'd want to, but it's good to know if you're the clingy type.

Edit: Also, while I feel like the theme might be a little too green sometimes, I'm not sure if it lacks contrast. I never have trouble reading any of the text on any part of the forum due to lack of contrast.

#6 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

2. A "Game Maker Version" thing in your profile. This is a minor, but cool thing.

Just put it in your sig.

3. The option to view the Game Maker Creations forum(PC)in two formats: "Sub Forums" and "Single Forum". This could be very hard, but it could possibly solve some peoples problems with the creations forum(Though they complaints have died down, it would still be nice).

Click on the games forum, and at the top you'll see a link 'see all games in post topic' or something. It's not supported by the GMC or YYG's, however:
http://www.zarplax.c...ftware/list.php

5. Cage Match. Something thats been bugging me for a while. I have a few suggestions to bring this back:

Bring it back! Bring it back! Bring it baaaack! :rambo

5. I don't really have a response for this suggestion at this time, but I'm eager to here any ideas about improving the Cage Match.

The main thing with the Cage Match, is that no one was participating.

I would suggest that the recent cagematch topics are placed inside The Community forum. When the match is over, the topic is closed, and moved to the sub-forum it has in the Games creation.

Without the community participating, the cage match wasn't working out. So this seems like ideal solution, no? :)

Edited by Desert Dog, 04 October 2010 - 08:58 PM.

HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#7 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

Regarding the rounded corners in Internet Explorer, you should try the IE9 beta if you're using a compatible OS. I think they've cleaned up a lot of IE's CSS incompatibilities with that release.

A word of warning, though - I don't think you can revert to your old version of IE once you upgrade. Not that you'd want to, but it's good to know if you're the clingy type.

I use XP, so I'll have to deal with it I guess. Oh well, maybe someday I'll get Win 7.

About the Zarplax Software thing, I completely forgot about that. I should probobly remove the suggestion before one of the GMC's resident flamers finds the topic. :mellow:

EDIT: I added a new suggestion, #7 in the theme category.

I would suggest that the recent cagematch topics are placed inside The Community forum. When the match is over, the topic is closed, and moved to the sub-forum it has in the Games creation.

This. Also, you could combine this with #5.2. That would get the Cage Match alot more recognition.

Edited by commander of games, 04 October 2010 - 09:13 PM.

InvaderX.gif

#8 ev149

ev149

NinetySix Design

• GMC Member
  • 1035 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:13 AM

3. Can't set this optionally, but there is a special link to a merged forum listing provided by Zarplax Software at the top of the forum index.

I think CoG means that the words "** Approved for GM4Mac beta **" should be removed, seeing as though it's no longer in beta.<h3 id="category_77" class="maintitle"></h3>

Actually, he removed a request and changed his numbering. See DD's post. -xot

Edited by xot, 05 October 2010 - 02:29 AM.

I ain't 'round these parts too much no more...

InfraTerrra

#9 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:16 AM

I think I've got a suggestion now too... Figured I'd note it here. The avatars on the mobile version are people's "personal photo" and not their avatar, which is retarded. I'd like to see that get fixed.

#10 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3553 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:03 AM

Pretty much everything you posted is what has been discussed before, in many ocassins...

I can find this useful for people who tends to post in the 'Working with Game Maker' section, sometimes people doesnt specify wich version they own.

@Fred: Administrators (like you and xot) doesnt have permissions to access the themes control? if so, you can try replacing the
old blue parts for yoyo-green, just to see how it would look like ;)

#11 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:26 AM

This was actually suggested by Flex in another topic. It was almost universally agreed that it was a useful and relevant feature to the forums that would be simple to implement. IMO it would make answering questions a whole lot easier, especially now that GM8's graphics are so different.

Posted Image
Game Widgets
- Your pure-GML solution to API DLLs. Featured in Markup Magazine!

My Portfolio - All my good games and resources
Moved away from the forum - e-mail me if you need quick contact (hi_146@hotmail.com).

#12 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:11 AM

@Fred: Administrators (like you and xot) doesnt have permissions to access the themes control? if so, you can try replacing the
old blue parts for yoyo-green, just to see how it would look like ;)

We do have access, but that doesn't mean we can just go all willy-nilly on the forum theme. Large changes would have to be run by YYG I think, and we have to make sure any changes we make don't break the forum for people as well. We gotta be responsible admins, after all! ;)

#13 Nikc-Nack

Nikc-Nack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2141 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:39 AM

I like your ideas!

I am happy to see someone giving ideas instead if whining!

My Ideas:

#1. Make the mobile version a differant color! I like the blue a ton!!!! But it's not very YYGish. If that makes any sence. I think it would look fine in green!

will update later...

PS. How do I revert back to mobile once I am in standard?
Indie is.ME
NNIARFAPTILMTAIK = nikc-nack is a really freakin awsome person that I love more than anyone I know
People say I use "..." too much in my post. I don't understand...
American soldiers do not fight because they hate what is in front of them, but because they love what is behind them
People sleep peaceably in thier beds at night because brave men are willing to do voilence on thier behalf. -George Orwell

#14 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7479 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:22 AM

The difference between how Internet Explorer 7 (and above) and other browsers render these pages has all to do with ClearType, a new Microsoft feature for font rendering. That doesn't just happen for this forum, you should see this effect on all websites when using this browser, as well as for Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 products.

It's funny that you consider IE to be the one that needs to be smoother, as the whole point of ClearType was allowing for a better anti-aliased font rendering as opposed to the old-fashioned non-aliased rendering you see in other browsers. But if you really don't like it you can switch it off by going to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab, and unchecking the "Always Use ClearType for HTML" box in the Multimedia section. The changes are effective after an application restart.

#15 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8030 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

Other than the cage competition (which sounds fun), all these suggestions sound cosmetic and superficial. Hardly seems worth the effort.

#16 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:50 PM

Other than the cage competition (which sounds fun), all these suggestions sound cosmetic and superficial. Hardly seems worth the effort.

I cant think of anything else that would need to change. We got as many different forum sections as we could ever need. The only other thing that I could think of would be a "Reviewers Choice WIP" topic or subforum, though I dont think this would work to well.

InvaderX.gif

#17 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4777 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

The only other thing that I could think of would be a "Reviewers Choice WIP" topic or subforum, though I dont think this would work to well.

Do you mean like this one or did you have something different in mind?

#18 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

The only other thing that I could think of would be a "Reviewers Choice WIP" topic or subforum, though I dont think this would work to well.

Do you mean like this one or did you have something different in mind?

Similare, except it would be more like the normal reviews. The reviews, of course, would be shorter and would have to be updated when a new major version is released. This could be hard to manage though.

Also, any chance of using one of the Cage Match suggestions? Possibly #5.2? It would be the easiest, I think. This could also be merged with Desert Dogs idea.

Edited by commander of games, 05 October 2010 - 03:26 PM.

InvaderX.gif

#19 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

As long as someone else is doing the work it's ALWAYS worth the effort. :D

But yeah, would mostly just like to see the cage match come back.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.

#20 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 23841 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

Less green (I´m using a greasemonkey script by Takagi* (I think!) atm... Fred, check it out as it´s perfect!) and more Cage Match!!!!

*read "Tangible Lime"

Edited by Mark13673, 05 October 2010 - 07:32 PM.

Button_DynamicPuddles_zps068ef8eb.png Button_Flappy_zps7fcff3b6.png Button_RogueLike_zps6f3451a3.png IKrQvWr.png Button_MyGames_zpse9e80bb0.png

#21 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1581 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

Less green (Iīm using a greasemonkey script by Takagi (I think!) atm... Fred, check it out as itīs perfect!) and more Cage Match!!!!

I'm using one by Lime.

http://gmc.yoyogames...0
Assorted Quotes:
Spoiler

My Forum Fic (currently on prologue + ten chapters)

#22 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

Less green (I´m using a greasemonkey script by Takagi (I think!) atm... Fred, check it out as it´s perfect!) and more Cage Match!!!!

You mean Roach?
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=477729

Edit: Ahh! Curse you David.

Edited by BBGaming, 05 October 2010 - 07:30 PM.

Posted Image
Game Widgets

Moved away from the forum - e-mail me if you need quick contact (hi_146@hotmail.com).

#23 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 23841 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

Oops... yes tangible lime...

All the mods look the same to me... Posted Image

Button_DynamicPuddles_zps068ef8eb.png Button_Flappy_zps7fcff3b6.png Button_RogueLike_zps6f3451a3.png IKrQvWr.png Button_MyGames_zpse9e80bb0.png

#24 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4065 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

Just put it in your sig.

Who would waste 10 pixels+ of their 150 pixels for that?

And yes, the signature height limit is ridiculous.

1Amdi.png Swxmo.png RDHEw.png 17Ezd.png

#25 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4777 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

And yes, the signature height limit is ridiculous.

Yeah, I wish it were shorter. Oh well, you can't always get what you want.

#26 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

xot, figurative +1.

Davve, everyone looked at your signature when you said that.

#27 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

xot, figurative +1.

Davve, everyone looked at your signature when you said that.

Yes. Everybody look at Davve like he's doing something bad while he's perfectly within the rules, and not doing anything that half the other members aren't.

I'd be o.k. with the sig height getting smaller. Not real sweat. Bigger would be a disaster.

Who would waste 10 pixels+ of their 150 pixels for that?

The guy who asks for people to + rep his posts? :P
If it was as important&useful as people try to make out, they people would do it. I'd agree it's cool, but it's basically a gimmick. No real usefulness.. although, maybe as MAC users come, though it would be.

Edited by Desert Dog, 05 October 2010 - 08:26 PM.

HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#28 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

One more thing: I never got around to telling somebody over at yoyogames about it (I don't have an account, and I didn't have time at the time to do so...then I forgot)

http://www.yoyogames.com/make

Check out the 2nd row, 3rd column.
It's your beloved old GMC (the last vestige...maybe I shouldn't have shared the secret...)

Did I do anything constructive posting it here? Or should I (or somebody else, please) tell whoever needs to know?
I need 16 by 16 sprites, 'cause I'm working on a game...

Fake Link

#29 Nikc-Nack

Nikc-Nack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2141 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:02 AM

I got another!
#2. I don't know if othera have realized, but the game maker logo is white, and I don't like it. perhaps try putting the real logo there, with all the colors and stuff.

just a thought...
Indie is.ME
NNIARFAPTILMTAIK = nikc-nack is a really freakin awsome person that I love more than anyone I know
People say I use "..." too much in my post. I don't understand...
American soldiers do not fight because they hate what is in front of them, but because they love what is behind them
People sleep peaceably in thier beds at night because brave men are willing to do voilence on thier behalf. -George Orwell

#30 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8030 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

I don't know if othera have realized, but the game maker logo is white

You don't know if anybody's realized it? Seriously? haha...

Since we're all making such "substantial" suggestions, here's mine. You know the YoYo name in the banner? The first "Yo" should be promoted to the top. With the second "Yo" behind it. Not the way it is now.

And I think the logo should be rotated counter-clockwise about 7 degrees. Please make these changes right away.

#31 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

Yes I just re-mentioned the profile version field suggestion of mine in the 'good look new admins topic' (perhaps no one read my post between all the lol cats). The original topic was posted here:
Registered / Gm Version Field On Profile Info

Also a very minor suggestion but I also still like this idea also:
Adding Tag Line To Tutorials Submission Template
:]

#32 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4777 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Just a little update. We are taking your requests quite seriously. Changes are being made, others are being discussed.

I know many of you will be pleased to hear that the Cage Match is almost certainly coming back. Expect to read more about it and possibly some other interesting developments soon.

I've built what is needed to make the code highlighter here more like Game Maker's. Now it's just a matter of installing a couple of support files, which I am unable to do personally. It does not appear to be technically possible to add all of the built-in functions to the highlighter without making changes to the core system. If the core is ever updated to support more types of elements, I'll see about adding function names.

On a related note, we will be increasing the number of emotes allowed in posts to better accommodate drag-and-drop users. Of course, this puts us all at the risk of smilie overload.

Also a very minor suggestion but I also still like this idea also:
Adding Tag Line To Tutorials Submission Template

Wow, not sure how I missed that topic. I'll give tags some definite consideration. Sorry I didn't see that request two years ago. :(

#33 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

Awesome. xot, Fred, you deserve a cookie. *Gives xot and Fred a GIANT cookie*

InvaderX.gif

#34 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

I definitely think making the code colours the correct colours is good. At the moment it is possible to use the highlighted on gmlscripts, but it's impractical and there isn't a GM8 highlighter.
One an unrelated note - why isn't there a reputation-plus button for the Admins?
String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#35 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

As everyone's slipping in ideas.. :whistle:

I'd like to see support for the PS3 web browser. Because of some weird WinXP glitch, my only net access is through my PS3, and a lot of things look retarded on my PS3's web browser.

If you've got a PS3 with net access, open up the browser via the Network section of the XMB, and look around the GMC.

GMC on PS3 = Fail.

#36 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

I know many of you will be pleased to hear that the Cage Match is almost certainly coming back. Expect to read more about it and possibly some other interesting developments soon.

:)

*blesses xot and fred*
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#37 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:02 PM

:)

*blesses xot and fred*

Don't forget Ablach Blackrat - he'll probably be the one doing most of the work on the Cage Match, as usual. ^_^

#38 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4777 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

Another little update.

We've finally got the team icons working again. Thanks go to Mike Dailly for copying the files. Finding the originals required some sleuthing with archive.org but I eventually found them. Posted Image <-- oh, yeah, those things

I've updated the code highlighter to look more like Game Maker. Colors were obviously easy. Adding keywords was too. Fixing the regex to handle strings and literals correctly was a little more work. Thanks again to Mike for uploading the files.

The mobile skin is now selectable from the bottom of the page for mobile users who have had difficulty getting the forums to display the version they prefer.

EDIT:
And one more thing. You should now be able to upload a photo image to you're profile. If your using a photo associated with your Facebook or Twitter account, you must disable that setting and remove your current photo before you can upload a new one.

Edited by xot, 09 October 2010 - 04:36 AM.

#39 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7530 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

On a related note, we will be increasing the number of emotes allowed in posts to better accommodate drag-and-drop users. Of course, this puts us all at the risk of smilie overload.

Let me be the first to say, ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao::!!!!!!!

Oh, and...
var a;
a=random(5);
if (a==random(5)) {                          //Checks to see if a is equal to random(5).
show_message("This code is broken.");
}

Edited by makerofthegames, 08 October 2010 - 10:31 PM.

Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?131124npmp3.png Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?1311

Mirrors Avatar by Stubbjax1337. 3000. 3999. 4444. Karoshi 2.0 custom levels. religious belief time: christian
http://ask.fm/AnUntitledAbridger

#40 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:06 PM

Less green (I´m using a greasemonkey script by Takagi* (I think!) atm... Fred, check it out as it´s perfect!) and more Cage Match!!!!

*read "Tangible Lime"

I'll look into that. I'm not sure how flexible this will be, but I'd like to at least make a few simple clean-ups to the theme we are using now. :)

#41 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3553 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:09 PM

Its nice to have mods with spare time :)

#42 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:20 PM

Just curious, but would it be possible to make it so users could 'link' their Personal Photos like they do with their Avatars(I.E. Upload a Personal Photo to imageshack)?

Also, I think the topic/forum icons need to be redone. They dont look that good IMO.

InvaderX.gif

#43 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

Just curious, but would it be possible to make it so users could 'link' their Personal Photos like they do with their Avatars(I.E. Upload a Personal Photo to imageshack)?

Also, I think the topic/forum icons need to be redone. They dont look that good IMO.

I'm playing around with the CSS (using Firebug) right now, and there are major improvements that can be made, both with graphics and with styling in general. If I have enough free time this weekend, and nobody on the staff or membership complains too loudly, I might change some of it around. It's pretty awful.

#44 Magikarp

Magikarp

Dark Age Owner

• GMC Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:24 AM

How's that Game Maker version thing everyone was discussing earlier coming? Will it be possible for the administrators to add it?

#45 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:09 AM

How's that Game Maker version thing everyone was discussing earlier coming? Will it be possible for the administrators to add it?

One of the 'issues' the admin have with that is how many options to add? I mean, there is GM4Mac, GM5-6-8.... although GM5 is rarer. :P
There's actually a clever way that the user(that's right, admin not needed!) can do this.

Write it in your signature.
It's customisable! You can add as many versions as you like!
It's visible! It's under every post you make!
It's easy! Simply go to your account, and hit 'edit sig!'

All that, but also retains the users ability to not use this feature!
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#46 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:22 AM

Because it doesn't matter if people who frequent the forums enough to know to put it in their signature actually do it (if you, Desert Dog, asked a question it's a given that you're capable of figuring out how to fit the solution to your needs), but if someone who has never read the Community Forums, never browsed the rules, and doesn't have a clue that people tend to place that info in their signatures, creates an account just to ask a question, it's relevant. The first place the board links you (or used to), is where you edit your profile. If one of the fields is GM Version, with a drop-down menu of choices, it's obvious that they would fill out this information. I don't see why some can't understand this.

There's really no debating this, so I'm not going to rebut any pessimism about a very relevant and useful feature that should be implemented. Doing so just made me angry in the last topic. :P

Edited by BBGaming, 09 October 2010 - 04:24 AM.

Posted Image
Game Widgets

#47 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4777 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:28 AM

It's not possible to link them, but it is possible to upload images now. I forgot to mention that in my last update. If you are already using a photo associated with your Facebook or Twitter account, you must disable that setting and remove your current photo before you can upload a new one.

#48 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:39 AM

Because it doesn't matter if people who frequent the forums enough to know to put it in their signature actually do it (if you, Desert Dog, asked a question it's a given that you're capable of figuring out how to fit the solution to your needs), but if someone who has never read the Community Forums, never browsed the rules, and doesn't have a clue that people tend to place that info in their signatures, creates an account just to ask a question, it's relevant. The first place the board links you (or used to), is where you edit your profile. If one of the fields is GM Version, with a drop-down menu of choices, it's obvious that they would fill out this information. I don't see why some can't understand this.

There's really no debating this, so I'm not going to rebut any pessimism about a very relevant and useful feature that should be implemented. Doing so just made me angry in the last topic. :P

Point noted. I don't really dislike the idea, and I'm all for cool&neat (if pointless) features. And I do think it'd be a bit pointless.. you've posted 800x's or so in the novice Q&A, and I've posted about that, too. Thinking of it.. how many times was knowing the version reeally necessary?

But as you say, this debate has been over several times over, methinks. The thing that makes me poke fun of it, is that the advocates of it don't actually 'practice' what they preach, (so to speak) and actively write their GM version in their sig, or whatever.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#49 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

The thing that makes me poke fun of it, is that the advocates of it don't actually 'practice' what they preach, (so to speak) and actively write their GM version in their sig, or whatever.

I don't want to waste space in my sig putting the GM version, it looks bad doing so (plus I have viewing signatures turned off now). As BBGaming said I don't want to start debating this again either. :rolleyes:

Feels the anger levels starting to rise lol.

Edited by flexaplex, 09 October 2010 - 11:40 AM.

:]

#50 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

Point noted. I don't really dislike the idea, and I'm all for cool&neat (if pointless) features. And I do think it'd be a bit pointless.. you've posted 800x's or so in the novice Q&A, and I've posted about that, too. Thinking of it.. how many times was knowing the version reeally necessary?

Increasingly, actually. I was recently asked to write a destructible terrain engine for somebody, and before I knew it I wrote it in GM7. They preferred GM8, so I had to re-write how it handled transparency, how sprites and surfaces were drawn to, and work around this weird glitch where GM8 smoothed the edges differently. If posters forget to mention they're using GM4Mac it may become a bigger hassle.

EDIT: Easy, Flex, Zee isn't here yet...

Edited by BBGaming, 09 October 2010 - 11:38 AM.

Posted Image
Game Widgets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users