I guess you need something simple yet effective. I think I've got a solid solution to your problems,
wheter you are coding top-down shooters, RPG or a RTS games, this engine can help you moving
your units fast and reliably.
Doesn't matter how big your maps are, or how big your armies are, this thing is designed to SCALE
for all your needs. I've tested labyrinthic maps full of bottlenecks and get it to work smoothly.
I won't lie to you, this thing is pretty advanced, but I've worked to make it as easy to use, but with
a radical design in mind, you are the one in control. You get to know how it works when you design
map, but you can change the most important parameters of your units without a need to understand
all the underlying math. However, if you are curious to know how it works, the code is commented.
Still i suggest watching this video tutorial
Here is a list of features:
- quick and simple Best First Search algorithm
- incorporated smoothing
- GM-functions free (no mp_grids)
- full GML, no dlls
- units can avoid each other without smashing into walls
- can handle queues and bottlenecks
- customizable steering options
- doesn't use sprites (will be easy to port on Enigma)
- can handle really fast units
- "collision_line_width" like functions
- "collision_line_first" like functions can be implemented
- splits the maps into cells to cut down pointless checks
- easy to use
- lets you build your own paths
- eliminates the need of having dozens of wall objects
- supports units of various sizes
- GM save and load won't work, use the custom replacement
- more tutorials, on demand
- units will never give up seeking their way until they can see their destination, can be changed on demand
- if the destination point is too close to a wall, units won't even try to get there, no quick fix
YoYo Games mirror
Edited by The eleventh plague of Egypt, 03 August 2014 - 04:43 PM.