#1 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:38 AM

Platform Battle 2 Demo 1

Questions for you all:

1) Have you experienced any lag with the demo? One user at YoYo Games has.

2) Would you prefer to see screenshots at 2x resolution, as you would in-game, or at 1x resolution, which might be easier to look at?

3) Is the color of the water hurting your eyes? (Or any part of any of these images, for that matter?) I think I may have encountered that problem on some screens.

Download Link (released 3/18/11): Click here

Note: Locked components have not yet been implemented. They cannot be unlocked within the demo.

Posted Image

Special thanks to:
Mark Overmars
39ster and 39dll (link)
ChevyRay and his Seamless Screen-Scaling tutorial (link)
MicroStudios
Philo
samdamana, who suggested a change in the controls
Matt Thorson (link) and his Grandma Engine (link)
Derek Yu and his Game Maker For Beginners tutorials (link)
yajo, who provided lots of feedback and in doing so suggested a new way to post screenshots
Captain Ventris, Revenge, and all others who have supported us!
illisid and BENJAMUS

Feel free to keep track of us at my deviantART and Pixeljoint profiles; you might find the occasional PB2 spoiler or two!

This demo (as well as the actual game) uses my tile-placement engine, found here.

Thank you very much for your time and effort! Here are some screenshots from the main game:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lasttea999, 19 March 2011 - 05:26 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Snowfire

Snowfire

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:57 AM

This looks really nice with the oldschool graphics and all :)
Is that a level editor in the bottom screenshot?

#3 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:36 AM

This looks really nice with the oldschool graphics and all :)
Is that a level editor in the bottom screenshot?

Thank you for your comment, Snowfire! That is indeed a level editor!

Edited by lasttea999, 25 September 2010 - 07:41 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Revenge

Revenge

Dr. Broccoli

• GMC Member
  • 573 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:31 AM

Wow, this has progressed well, I had no idea you were this far into production after having to start from scratch! The re-polished graphics are great, I can't wait for your next progress report guys. The new features are great :D

#5 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

Thanks again, Revenge, for all your continued support!

I have a question for you guys: Have you experienced any lag with the demo? One user at YoYo Games has.

Feel free to keep track of us at my deviantART and Pixeljoint profiles; you might find the occasional PB2 spoiler or two!

Edited by lasttea999, 16 October 2010 - 10:10 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:15 AM

Very nice! Not much content right now.. but I liked the first Platform Battle game =D
Didn't lag for me at all.
Hope you finish this game soon! :3

Edit: I recommend you add a splashing particle effect... maybe the water ripples a little? I just think that would be cool.

-orange08

Edited by orange08, 17 October 2010 - 12:22 AM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#7 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:52 AM

Thanks, orange08!

Water effects would be cool... I'd like to have most of the graphics be pixel art, though, so I wonder what we could do in that department.

Allow me to announce that

• I have added links to the subjects that I credit in the original post, and that
  • this demo (as well as the actual game) uses my tile-placement engine, found here.
My apologies for being so late with the links!

Edited by lasttea999, 19 October 2010 - 02:11 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:19 AM

Hello again, GMC! I'd like to inform you that the topic for Platform Battle 2 at TIGForums has been moved from the Feedback section to the DevLogs section (here). I'll try to keep people updated there as well as here.

Also, allow me to post a new screenshot:

Posted Image

I have a new question for you all: Would you prefer to see screenshots at 2x resolution, as you would in-game, or at 1x resolution, which might be easier to look at?

As for a demo with more content... The game's got a fair amount of content already, but the demo might have to wait until I work out a few bugs and implement a more complete (placeholder) interface.

Thank you for your efforts!

Edited by lasttea999, 06 January 2011 - 11:37 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

Well, it's been a while since I've written anything, but... a new demo is now available!

MediaFire download: Click here

YoYo Games page: Click here

Note: Locked components have not yet been implemented. They cannot be unlocked within the demo.

Please leave feedback!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lasttea999, 19 March 2011 - 05:27 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

The presentation and the graphics of this game are really great! I couldn't really test the gameplay though, with it being 2 player and all :P

I'm sure it's been said a million times, but are you going to add AI? (Or have I just missed it somewhere?)!

#11 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:43 PM

The presentation and the graphics of this game are really great! I couldn't really test the gameplay though, with it being 2 player and all :P

I'm sure it's been said a million times, but are you going to add AI? (Or have I just missed it somewhere?)!

Thanks for the feedback!

Some commenters and I discussed the possibility of AI in the thread for the first Platform Battle. I'm not really sure I want to have AI; it seems like it would be pretty difficult to make even basic platformer AI, and to try to capture all the different strategies, taking into account the characters' different abilities and the properties of every level... Well!

Edited by lasttea999, 23 March 2011 - 11:54 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:30 PM

Wow, I remember playing the first one. This can become a very good game if you implement an AI, and some other extras to keep it replayable (the level editor is nice!). The graphics had a great improvement.

The only thing I don't like is that many characters have the same attack move, the throwing object, wich gets kinda repetitive when choosing characters.

Anyway, finish it! :D

#13 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:28 AM

Wow, I remember playing the first one. This can become a very good game if you implement an AI, and some other extras to keep it replayable (the level editor is nice!). The graphics had a great improvement.

The only thing I don't like is that many characters have the same attack move, the throwing object, wich gets kinda repetitive when choosing characters.

Anyway, finish it! :D

Hey, thanks so much for your feedback and support! Sorry it took me so long to reply...

Unfortunately I haven't been working on this, lately. However, I think I might want to remake this at some point using Java.

Thanks again!

Edited by lasttea999, 18 September 2011 - 03:31 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image