#91 MissingNo.

MissingNo.

Disco Inferno

• GMC:Member
  • 358 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

This update may be good but I think you busted the game! :confused:
I get this message: Error: cannot load the game file. then I get an error report
on top of that it seems as if you left out some files for the game like some folders
and stuff. please fix it soon as I cant play Final Core no more. :sad:

EDIT: unless the update is on another site, but I just clicked the link for Final Core
that took me to the sandbox so I'm assuming you have the latest version there or
is it somewhere else? if it is then could you give me the link?

Edited by MissingNo., 23 August 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#92 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

I get this message: Error: cannot load the game file. then I get an error report
on top of that it seems as if you left out some files for the game like some folders

EDIT: unless the update is on another site, but I just clicked the link for Final Core
that took me to the sandbox so I'm assuming you have the latest version there or

I don't know what the problem is :/ . I clicked on the link in the first page of this topic, downloaded the file, extracted them. There's the game file, a dll and a folder containing 3 other files. I launched the game and played around for a while and there were no problems. Did you, by any chance, try to load a game from an old version into the new version ? That tends to never work because of how GM was coded, and often gives terrible results.
Unfortunately, I'm once again going to be unable to work on this project for 2 month, so I hope that I have indeed not broken my game.
Good luck with your file :)
Tabc3dd

#93 MissingNo.

MissingNo.

Disco Inferno

• 358 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:34 AM

I don't know what the problem is :/ . I clicked on the link in the first page of this topic, downloaded the file, extracted them. There's the game file, a dll and a folder containing 3 other files. I launched the game and played around for a while and there were no problems. Did you, by any chance, try to load a game from an old version into the new version ? That tends to never work because of how GM was coded, and often gives terrible results.
Unfortunately, I'm once again going to be unable to work on this project for 2 month, so I hope that I have indeed not broken my game.
Good luck with your file :)
Tabc3dd

ok I got it to work by downloading it again but unfortuntly there is a problem when trying to use the load ship data in the ship editor,
all I get is a error message.

#94 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

After some quick testing, this error happens when there are no files to load. I'll fix this as soon as I can :)

#95 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

In about 4 weeks I'll have some time to work a bit more on this project if need be. Therefore, I would gladly appreciate any feedback which could help me improve the gaming experience. Thank you.

#96 MissingNo.

MissingNo.

Disco Inferno

• 358 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

In about 4 weeks I'll have some time to work a bit more on this project if need be. Therefore, I would gladly appreciate any feedback which could help me improve the gaming experience. Thank you.

Well I still want that ship editor message to get fixed, unless you updated the game and already did.

#97 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Well I still want that ship editor message to get fixed, unless you updated the game and already did.

It's on the list. Can you confirm that it only happens when there are no saved files to load though please ?
Thanks
Tabc3dd

#98 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

New version up, many small bugs and inconveniences have been fixed + a bit of polishing.

#99 MissingNo.

MissingNo.

Disco Inferno

• 358 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

New version up, many small bugs and inconveniences have been fixed + a bit of polishing.

Yes, great thanks. I'll edit this comment later after I play it and will tell you if I found any problems.

#100 Visage

Visage

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

I definitely like the new mirroring feature, but I have noticed a bug that was not in the version of the game I had previously.

When summoning ships through portals, a left click invariably leads to commander mode activating. This on its own is not terribly bad or even necessarily something that should be fixed, but after doing so, all of my ship designs have their bottom right area deleted. I have tried multiple slots and used designs made without the mirroring feature, tried it with a new record as well as a fresh download of the game, and even gone so far as to test it on a different computer, but the bug still remains.

The bug is important and debilitating because it forces the player to use only one ship design for each mission. Normally that is not a problem. However, I attempted "Returning the Favor" with absurdly slow, weighed down ships since I was using Bio and drainers as my main damage-dealers. The problem was that I couldn't get them in place fast enough to keep the convoy away from the edge with Gravity. My solution was to replace two of the juggernauts with small ships whose only real qualities were defense and the Gravity weapon. This bug has kept me from beating the mission with that record since I cannot put enough firepower on my design to be useful without eliminating my ability to halt the convoy so I can actually kill it. I could, by grinding for more credits, provide my ships with the necessary mobility, but it seems like a waste of time when there is a tactic that I have been able to use in the past that serves the same purpose without the extra boredom.

I really do like this game and would love to see this bug fixed.
Thank you for your time.

Edit: I have tested it a bit more, and it is now clear to me that commander mode is at fault. If you go into commander mode at all before all your ships are summoned, your designs are messed up.

Edited by Visage, 18 December 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#101 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

First of all thank you very much for your reply . Unfortunately I'm going to have huge exams in around 4 months and I don't have access to my personal computer until then to concentrate on work, so I won't be able to work on the project until then :/ .
Commander mode being activated when spawning some ships was voluntary to avoid keeping portals as a backup strategy. When testing, I generally always build a single ship and spawn them all at the time, so that bug hadn't occurred to me. I'll fix it ASAP and am sorry for the problems it has caused.

#102 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

Sorry for the long update time, but a new version is finally up.

The creation bug has been removed, the hangar has been changed, a few unnecessary options have been removed, a few graphical updates, a new indicator for low building energy and more

#103 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

New update, all bosses in the arena mode are now ready and working correctly. The game is now easier to pick up as all parts display full information on mouseover. Improved enemy building AI. Polished presentation a bit. Optimized some weapons.

#104 Copernicus

Copernicus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Some bugs to report.
1. When an enemy is out of energy, the energy bar extends to the left edge of the screen when the enemy is moused over. I get this a lot when fighting the first arena boss.

2. The parts that restore energy do not indicate how much energy they restore in the window that lists their stats.

3. I can not upgrade starting buildings in campaign missions (but can upgrade buildings I build).

4. In Skirmish after upgrading an energy when I click on the screen again the view in the room is teleported as far right as possible.

Comments
1. In skirmish mode the enemy spawns a lot of the same kind of enemy from assemblies, and I doubt the enemy has that kind of money that early in the battle. It would also be nice to see some variety in the ships the enemy assembles.

2. In skirmish mode it would be nice to have the total energy available and the energy currently used by player network displayed in the HUD. You could put it below flux.

3. After selecting a base, are there keyboard shortcuts for selecting buildings? At the start of a skirmish it would be nice if I could simply press the number keys to choose which building to construct instead of having to click on opposite corners of the screen every time.

4. Because you are displaying the stats of items when moused over, it would be nice if you also displayed the damage/energy cost of weapons when fired. You could also display integrity, and the cost/sell value.

5. It would be nice if the window showing item stats was always placed in the same position on the screen. Currently the window tracks mouse position and it sometimes puts most of the window lower than the screen when mousing over parts in my purchased tray or in editor mode.

6. Because we no longer get the special parts that boost all stats, did you ever consider giving the hull/shield/energy/repair/regen/restore/speed/turn parts a fifth grade, or upgrading their lower-level effectiveness? Without the old specials I find myself having to use more parts, which makes skirmish more of an issue.

#105 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

Some bugs to report.
1. When an enemy is out of energy, the energy bar extends to the left edge of the screen when the enemy is moused over. I get this a lot when fighting the first arena boss.

2. The parts that restore energy do not indicate how much energy they restore in the window that lists their stats.

3. I can not upgrade starting buildings in campaign missions (but can upgrade buildings I build).

4. In Skirmish after upgrading an energy when I click on the screen again the view in the room is teleported as far right as possible.

Comments
1. In skirmish mode the enemy spawns a lot of the same kind of enemy from assemblies, and I doubt the enemy has that kind of money that early in the battle. It would also be nice to see some variety in the ships the enemy assembles.

2. In skirmish mode it would be nice to have the total energy available and the energy currently used by player network displayed in the HUD. You could put it below flux.

3. After selecting a base, are there keyboard shortcuts for selecting buildings? At the start of a skirmish it would be nice if I could simply press the number keys to choose which building to construct instead of having to click on opposite corners of the screen every time.

4. Because you are displaying the stats of items when moused over, it would be nice if you also displayed the damage/energy cost of weapons when fired. You could also display integrity, and the cost/sell value.

5. It would be nice if the window showing item stats was always placed in the same position on the screen. Currently the window tracks mouse position and it sometimes puts most of the window lower than the screen when mousing over parts in my purchased tray or in editor mode.

6. Because we no longer get the special parts that boost all stats, did you ever consider giving the hull/shield/energy/repair/regen/restore/speed/turn parts a fifth grade, or upgrading their lower-level effectiveness? Without the old specials I find myself having to use more parts, which makes skirmish more of an issue.

Thank you very much for the reply :) . Unfortunately my vacations just finished and I won't be able to work on this for another few month, but all of this will be fixed ASAP.

BUGS :
1) Thought this was fixed, easy to take care of, thanks for notifying
2) Isn't it the last stat displayed ? Or maybe i gave them a special regeneration that doesn't occur every 2 seconds to be more consistent. I'll look into it. Although there's a PDF in the files along the game that contains all details for every parts.
3) Weird, theres nothing different between these buildings :/ . Maybe some "on create" variable I forgot, should be easy to fix.
4) Weird, I really don't see why upgrading would alter my view variables, thanks for pointing it out :)

COMMENTS :
1) Enemy ship creation follows standard pricing. But I've changed ship prices during the last updates, maybe I forgot to put the enemies on par. As for ship diversity, every skirmish level the enemy unlocks a new ship type to use, and every 7 levels moves on to the next tier. But you are right this makes level 1-3 fights kinda repetitive. I'll give the enemy more ship types from the start and maybe work on a better ship AI.
2) Will see if I can make it work, the spot below flux is currently used for alert messages. Unfortunately it won't be entirely representative of the network's energy effectiveness as energy does take time to travel around. Last patch should also include a "low energy" indicator for buildings.
3) Good idea, wonder why I never implemented that. In the mean time you can use shift to create multiple without having to move back and forth :)
4) Will do if it doesn't clutter the info. Currently all these information are within the PDF that comes with the game. Integrity is always Hull bonus + 100, except for armour parts that have more. Buy values are the same for all parts of the same category, and sell value are the same for all parts of the same tier, will probably add the info.
5 ) Will try to find a good location to stick the window to when mousing over parts
6) I found the achievement parts to be slightly gimmicky and unnecessary complication, but I can't quite make up my mind. Do you think I should have kept them ? I can't improve the stats of lower level parts as that would mean buffing most enemies which would pose balance issues. As for adding a 5-th tier to these parts, wouldn't it be counter-intuitive as most parts only have 4 tiers ? Maybe I could add an RPG aspect to this game, the commander gains level as enemies are defeated and can give permanent upgrades to Core stats ? And maybe I could make talent trees and expand on the offence/defence/support choice at the start of the game which is currently kind of hollow. Tell me what you'd think is best please.

Feedback like this is extremely helpful :), hopefully I can improve this game to its full potential.

#106 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 3948 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

i like the concept, but i don't know if i like the game. it seems like i have to spend a lot of time managing resources instead of my ships. does 1 make the AI easier or harder? it says 5 gives the ai the same stats as me, but i don't know what higher or lower numbers do.

i haven't been able to win yet because it's hard to build my base. there should be a course grid so i can make a really good perfect base like the enemy does.

it slows me down a lot when i place a building. i have to go back and click on the hub again and select another from the menu. i know i can hold shift and place a bunch of buildings, but when i want to change the building i'm placing, i have to re select the hub again. it should just stay selected.

i didn't think that the mouse wheel would zoom, it should say somewhere. i think middle mouse button should pan the view around. not having to go down to the mini menu and do it.

the final message in the tutorial blocks my view pertinently, i have to restart so it goes away. those achievements pop up, block my view, and piss me off too.

this confuses me. the tutorial says to build an assembler next, but i can't. it says to build more collectors to unlock. why? i should just be able to buy the dam thing. and how many collectors do i need to unlock this? it doesn't say.
Posted Image

i would make some changes to the way the text is displayed in a lot of cases. it's a real pain to read through a bunch of text to know how much a building costs and all it's other stats.
Posted Image

and the ship designer. well, it should just be laid out better. and why am i working on six different ships at a time that have been given a slot number instead of a customization name? then when i'm trying to remember my ships in game i can create the right ones faster.
Posted Image
i think the game is pretty good, but there's a lot of little annoying things.

#107 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

i like the concept, but i don't know if i like the game. it seems like i have to spend a lot of time managing resources instead of my ships. does 1 make the AI easier or harder? it says 5 gives the ai the same stats as me, but i don't know what higher or lower numbers do.

Hopefully managing ressources will become easier once I've included keybinds.

1 is easiest and is the level at which you start. 10 starts becoming hard.

i haven't been able to win yet because it's hard to build my base. there should be a course grid so i can make a really good perfect base like the enemy does.

Well I made buildings snap to every 8 pixels to get a good balance between perfect bases and choice. I'll bump it up to 36 but it might feel too restrictive.

it slows me down a lot when i place a building. i have to go back and click on the hub again and select another from the menu. i know i can hold shift and place a bunch of buildings, but when i want to change the building i'm placing, i have to re select the hub again. it should just stay selected.

Will do :)

i didn't think that the mouse wheel would zoom, it should say somewhere. i think middle mouse button should pan the view around. not having to go down to the mini menu and do it.

Mouse to zoom is pretty standard and is in the controls. Adding it somewhere else would be invasive imo though. I'll add middle mouse to pan.

the final message in the tutorial blocks my view pertinently, i have to restart so it goes away. those achievements pop up, block my view, and piss me off too.

Theres a little red cross to remove the message once you've done reading. I'll make it time out in addition. As for the achievements, they are supposed to pop-up, how else are you supposed to know you got them ^^. I'll see if I can't reduce their size or duration

this confuses me. the tutorial says to build an assembler next, but i can't. it says to build more collectors to unlock. why? i should just be able to buy the dam thing. and how many collectors do i need to unlock this? it doesn't say.

The problem is that many new players who haven't played before instantly rush important buildings, and therefore run out of cash and don't have enough collectors to make up for it fast enough. But you are right, limiting the player is kinda stupid, they should realise their mistake when they run out of cash and try to fix it.

i would make some changes to the way the text is displayed in a lot of cases. it's a real pain to read through a bunch of text to know how much a building costs and all it's other stats.

I like your presentation, will try to make it work.

and the ship designer. well, it should just be laid out better. and why am i working on six different ships at a time that have been given a slot number instead of a customization name? then when i'm trying to remember my ships in game i can create the right ones faster.

Will work on it. Might probably keep the shop in a box, put it to the left. To the right the current design with its name under and arrows to switch to other designs. The bought parts on the lower part of the screen. And the buttons, well I'll see.

i think the game is pretty good, but there's a lot of little annoying things.

Thanks, I'll try to improve it.

#108 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 3948 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

welt, i gave the game another try. i managed to win my first skirmish. only got 600 credits out of it. i spent that on more turrets for my ship, but i guess i should have added more shields or something, they were terrible my second skirmish and i lost.

i think the reason i won was because i really micro'd my buildings, i spent like 90% of my time placing buildings really well and getting as many money makers as possible and spamming my ships early. the placing of buildings is such a mother friggin pain in my b4lls. that's puttin lightly. i would add some coloring to when the user is placing them, red if you can't place something and normal when you can. i would also put a box or increase the alpha value on buildings being placed and buildings that are in progress, it's really hard for me to see.

it seems like the whole game is based off of who can build faster and makes eco. i haven't really gotten into the flux yet to comment on that.

i was wondering what the problem was here. there's a bunch of power connected to that node, but the collectors don't seem to be getting power. i think the total power should be drawn at the bottom of the screen with the flux and credits, that way i know when to build more power things. i don't know, maybe it's just a matter of me getting used the game. oh yeah, and you can see my boss ships.

96568830.png
anyways, just thought i'd complain some more. i want to like this game, but i suck so much at it.

#109 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

welt, i gave the game another try. i managed to win my first skirmish. only got 600 credits out of it. i spent that on more turrets for my ship, but i guess i should have added more shields or something, they were terrible my second skirmish and i lost.

Well-balanced ships are indeed the key to sucess :)

i think the reason i won was because i really micro'd my buildings, i spent like 90% of my time placing buildings really well and getting as many money makers as possible and spamming my ships early. the placing of buildings is such a mother friggin pain in my b4lls. that's puttin lightly. i would add some coloring to when the user is placing them, red if you can't place something and normal when you can. i would also put a box or increase the alpha value on buildings being placed and buildings that are in progress, it's really hard for me to see.

Will take care of all of that :)

it seems like the whole game is based off of who can build faster and makes eco. i haven't really gotten into the flux yet to comment on that.

Flux is currently more a gimmick than anything else, apart from dull upgrades it doesn't serve any purpose. I plan on expanding on it (special units, buildings) later on.

i was wondering what the problem was here. there's a bunch of power connected to that node, but the collectors don't seem to be getting power. i think the total power should be drawn at the bottom of the screen with the flux and credits, that way i know when to build more power things. i don't know, maybe it's just a matter of me getting used the game. oh yeah, and you can see my boss ships.

Thats weird, those collectors should be powered since the relay is :/. I'll try to see if I can recreate that next time I work on this and see what is wrong, thanks.

anyways, just thought i'd complain some more. i want to like this game, but i suck so much at it.

your complaints are very much appreciated, thanks to them I'll be able to improve the game even more :). And it is not you that is bad at the game, it's just that currently it requires alot of micro because I didn't add keybinds and other things to help the player, whereas the AI instantly builds a perfect base.

Once again thank you very much for this feedback, the fact that you photoshoped screenshots to give me advice is awesome :). Unluckily, as I already stated before, I won't be able to work on this project for 2-3 month because of incoming major tests (stupid french education system ...), but as soon as I can I'll update it.

#110 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 3948 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

so i turned up the gamma on my monitor and was able to see what i was doing a bit better. i actually won every match. i played like 5 times.

i noticed i could build things off the screen. if my mouse could move there, i could place it.

towards the end of a match, i couldn't build any more ships. i figured i hit a limit or something. but then the next match i still couldn't build any, and i know i could afford it because i had lots of credits. so there must be a glitch there.

i did beat the ai with turrets though.

97916926.png

#111 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Underrated

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hey, tab. Took the time to put you in the spotlight for my game review at www.gamemakerhub.blogspot.con
Hope you like it,
-shadow

#112 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

so i turned up the gamma on my monitor and was able to see what i was doing a bit better. i actually won every match. i played like 5 times.

Well played :), although in the current stage the lack of diversity makes it so it becomes repetitive rather fast :/.

i noticed i could build things off the screen. if my mouse could move there, i could place it.

Do you mean just out of screen or actually off the map ? I'll fix that.

towards the end of a match, i couldn't build any more ships. i figured i hit a limit or something. but then the next match i still couldn't build any, and i know i could afford it because i had lots of credits. so there must be a glitch there.

i did beat the ai with turrets though.

Definitly a glitch, will try to fix it. Turret spam works on lower levels but they start countering it later on ^^

Hey, tab. Took the time to put you in the spotlight for my game review at www.gamemakerhub.blogspot.con
Hope you like it,
-shadow

Thank you very much :)

#113 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

In addition to everything previously stated, here are changes planned for next version :

* Renaming offense/defense/support  to  destruction/protection/disruption. I felt as support wasnt a name that would push players to play it, and as a theme is was hard to link parts to it.

* Destruction : Weapons and the energy to use them
  Protection : Durability and defending those around
  Disruption : Stealth, distraction, mobility, backstabs etc ...

* Changed some parts attribution to reflect the destruction/protection/disruption playstyle.

* Planned three talent trees, one for each of the playstyle. Each talent tree will have 14 skills that I already designed. Each talent tree will have a talent that unlocks an interesting passive for the core, a talent that unlocks a new part related to the playstyle, a talent that unlocks an active ability for the core and the last talent unlocks the ultimate part for the playstyle. Destruction talents will be set out in the shape of a sword, Protection in the shape of a shield and Disruption in the shape of a pirate crossbone.

* Active abilities. This is something new : when ships are selected, if they have active abilities available these will appear in the HuD. Clicking them or pressing the keybind will use the ability, generally at the cost of energy, and put it on cooldown.

* Stealth parts now grant the stealth active ability rather than activating every minute, same goes for the Anomaly part, and the Hope and Faith parts. This will give the player more control over his ships and strategy, and can be toggled to autocast if you dont want to micro.

* I feel as if current mission selection screen sucks, just big floating buttons with words on a black background ... Will try to replace it by an "overmap" system, that'll also allow me to give more pre-mission information and add side-missions, make it feel less linear. Maybe I can also stuff the Arena,Bonus modes, skirmish and such on the overmap, that will reduce the clutter on the hangar screen.

* The current training section is horribly unpolished. Will replace the message box by an actual menu and make counters more obvious.

Edited by tabc3dd, 22 March 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#114 Copernicus

Copernicus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

6) I found the achievement parts to be slightly gimmicky and unnecessary complication, but I can't quite make up my mind. Do you think I should have kept them ? I can't improve the stats of lower level parts as that would mean buffing most enemies which would pose balance issues. As for adding a 5-th tier to these parts, wouldn't it be counter-intuitive as most parts only have 4 tiers ? Maybe I could add an RPG aspect to this game, the commander gains level as enemies are defeated and can give permanent upgrades to Core stats ? And maybe I could make talent trees and expand on the offence/defence/support choice at the start of the game which is currently kind of hollow. Tell me what you'd think is best please.

I had actually thought about RPGs when I posted.  The only achievment part I cared about most was the Core Amplifier.  It boosted all the stats!  In order to achieve the same effect the player has to use 8 other parts.  1 versus 8 is a huge difference in skirmish.  8 parts also cost a lot more money to buy and upgrade.  The Core Amplifier was gotten for free.  But I now use parts I didn't before, so I guess it is more balanced concerning the parts.

I find myself having to equip a ton of move and turn parts to maintain dexterity, because low level parts don't give enough bonus.  I don't find myself equipping 5 or 6 energy parts, or radars, etc.  So there doesn't seem to be a balance between numbers of parts.  Or maybe the balance is in the penalty.  Parts seem to give more extreme penalties to speed and turn than they do to energy.  Maybe more energy penalty would be appropriate for weapons instead of taking a whole point or more out of movement.  If that makes the part too powerful, perhaps you can cut the hull or shield bonus, so the player has to rely more on the hull and shield parts.

The core amplifier was most useful at lower levels.  With fourth level parts available it isn't as much an issue.  So it is really an early game versus late game balance issue.  Which brings in the problem of a core leveling system.  At higher levels the player would have the bonus when they don't really need it because they can get the higher tier parts.  Perhaps you could make an inverted leveling system.  The player gets a core amplifier early in the game, but its stats decrease as they complete the campaign.  Or maybe its stats decrease based on how many parts are equipped, or the level of the parts (more parts = less bonus, higher tier = less bonus).  Equipping the 8 standard parts should grant more bonus than the core amplifier alone, even when the parts are level one.

And in regards to ship cost and skirmish...the fact that cost is determined by number of parts alone, and not their tier encourages the player to level up those parts, but it doesn't balance low level and high level play.  A core with a 4th tier canon is more effecient than a core and four level 1 canons, and it costs 600 less to assemble.  Perhaps tier should effect cost, making those low level parts actually useful for something.

You current class system affects how much parts cost, but doesn't really change how the game is played.  Your planned class system sounds much better.  It might help to solve the core amplifier problem.  Will a player get skill points for completing campaign missions, or skirmish, or the arena?  Will the player manually choose skills or will they be automatic based on class?

Now that you're planning to add manual control over the active abilities...how about the ability to manually eject parts from the ship?  Because my ship needs tons of move and turn parts to function, when the enemy blows them off I get stuck with a ship that can't turn or move.  If I could manually select and eject from the ship the parts that give the move and turn penalty I could move and turn again, thus salvaging a bad situation.  Perhaps ejected parts could function like a meteor--destroying other parts they come in contact with.  Of course, I'd prefer my ejected parts to only destroy enemy parts.  With your class system, perhaps one class could have the added benefit that ejected parts explode to produce shrapnel that damages the enemy (the shrapnel could be ruin bullets).  A higher level skill would produce more shrapnel, or grant the shrapnel more range.  And for more carnage, perhaps you could add an actual self destruct function for the entire ship--so the whole thing explodes into meteors.  One meteor for each part.

#115 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

I find myself having to equip a ton of move and turn parts to maintain dexterity, because low level parts don't give enough bonus.  I don't find myself equipping 5 or 6 energy parts, or radars, etc.  So there doesn't seem to be a balance between numbers of parts.  Or maybe the balance is in the penalty.  Parts seem to give more extreme penalties to speed and turn than they do to energy.  Maybe more energy penalty would be appropriate for weapons instead of taking a whole point or more out of movement.  If that makes the part too powerful, perhaps you can cut the hull or shield bonus, so the player has to rely more on the hull and shield parts.

I'll try tweaking the values around, might just end up buffing stat parts.

The core amplifier was most useful at lower levels.  With fourth level parts available it isn't as much an issue.  So it is really an early game versus late game balance issue.  Which brings in the problem of a core leveling system.  At higher levels the player would have the bonus when they don't really need it because they can get the higher tier parts.  Perhaps you could make an inverted leveling system.  The player gets a core amplifier early in the game, but its stats decrease as they complete the campaign.  Or maybe its stats decrease based on how many parts are equipped, or the level of the parts (more parts = less bonus, higher tier = less bonus).  Equipping the 8 standard parts should grant more bonus than the core amplifier alone, even when the parts are level one.

I planned to put the stats on the first tier of each talent tree, whereas higher tiers will have more interesting talents, so it should even out correctly. In addition to balancing out stat parts it should work out hopefully ^^.

And in regards to ship cost and skirmish...the fact that cost is determined by number of parts alone, and not their tier encourages the player to level up those parts, but it doesn't balance low level and high level play.  A core with a 4th tier canon is more effecient than a core and four level 1 canons, and it costs 600 less to assemble.  Perhaps tier should effect cost, making those low level parts actually useful for something.

Encouraging players to level up rather than to stack more parts is exactly what I was aiming for, partly because it made ships look better and not a huge jumble of parts. But I'll look into it.

You current class system affects how much parts cost, but doesn't really change how the game is played.  Your planned class system sounds much better.  It might help to solve the core amplifier problem.  Will a player get skill points for completing campaign missions, or skirmish, or the arena?  Will the player manually choose skills or will they be automatic based on class?

Skill points for new campaign missions won, probably for every 5 achievements, for skirmish wons, for new arena bosses defeated. Arena and missions might grant more than skirmishes to avoid farming them out. And players will be able to manually choose skills, unlocking new tiers in each tree as they spend more points in it.

Now that you're planning to add manual control over the active abilities...how about the ability to manually eject parts from the ship?  Because my ship needs tons of move and turn parts to function, when the enemy blows them off I get stuck with a ship that can't turn or move.  If I could manually select and eject from the ship the parts that give the move and turn penalty I could move and turn again, thus salvaging a bad situation.  Perhaps ejected parts could function like a meteor--destroying other parts they come in contact with.  Of course, I'd prefer my ejected parts to only destroy enemy parts.  With your class system, perhaps one class could have the added benefit that ejected parts explode to produce shrapnel that damages the enemy (the shrapnel could be ruin bullets).  A higher level skill would produce more shrapnel, or grant the shrapnel more range.  And for more carnage, perhaps you could add an actual self destruct function for the entire ship--so the whole thing explodes into meteors.  One meteor for each part.

I'll test a self-destruct active ability. Click once, than click target part or core for a total self-destruct. But I fear it might be too gimmicky to implement, will see. However for the graphics i'll keep the small parts that appear when a part is destroyed, and give them damage equivalent to that of a missile probably. But I feel as they should shoot off away from the core or in random directions, so hitting enemies with it might be tricky.

By the way could you send me a screenshot of your ship and it's stats, just so I can see how much speed and rotation parts you need to make it work ? It'll help me plan a balance fix.

Thanks for the great feedback :)

Edited by tabc3dd, 24 March 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#116 Joe H

Joe H

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Soooo glad to see Tab is still working on this game!

Final Core was one of the first GM games I played and really inspired me. I can't wait to play the new version!

#117 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Final Core was one of the first GM games I played and really inspired me. I can't wait to play the new version!

Thank you :)

#118 MissingNo.

MissingNo.

Disco Inferno

• 358 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

Yeah I'm also really glad that this is still in production. 

#119 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Yeah I'm also really glad that this is still in production. 

Wow I didn't realise people appreciated this game :), thank you.

I've been wondering about something : what should be the setting of the game ? Currently I didn't pay much attention to the lore, setting and world mechanics and rather just put together a jumble of linked mission for gameplay reasons, but the result is far from immersive and lacks coherence. I recently came up with the idea that everything happens in space, but you as a commander are in central command and therefore what you see on screen is just simplified/stylized feedback from what is going on in space. Could this work out ? Because having a virtual world as a setting kind of goes against the fact that there are factions, resources, people communicating etc ...

Such a setting could also give value to the Radar parts, which are in my opinion the most useless parts atm. Even though the ships in space would have visual on enemy ships, if they aren't within a certain range they would just appear as blips on the screen, and radars would increase that range. Basically it would be a sort of fog of war where you still have a vague idea of enemy positions

Edit : Actually no, this would just bring up more incoherences, like wings for maneuverability, engines inside the design, lack of collisions, floating parts etc ... Guess I'm stuck to working with the "virtual" universe, hopefully I can make something good from it ^^.

Other planned changes :

- Use of custom particles for curved shots, missiles, lasers etc ... It might achieve a better visual

- Changes to fully upgraded energy leech and shield drain parts, as the are too ugly and gimmicky. Probably a visual update for all those line weapons.

- Changes to Phoenix, which is currently a turreted double missile ++, kinda bland.

- Introducing new building upgrades for skirmish mode with multiple upgrade path.

- Mission and intro remake. Putting so many ships and buildings in the first mission for exemple is overwhelming for new players.

- A new part for the offensive/ defensive group to balance out part number per path.

Edited by tabc3dd, 26 March 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#120 JacRom

JacRom

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

very good game congratulations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users