148 replies to this topic

#61 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

I downloaded it again.

1) Still can't complete mission 5. I don't know if it's because of the energy or it is not registering the base as being protected.
2) The first Ally ship is moving correctly, but the others won't move.
3) As for the energy bug feature: in mission 2, when all the buildings teleport in the energy won't build. I have to sell all the buildings and then build the energy I need (one at a time) before constructing any other buildings.
4) In mission 5, energy won't finish building if the turrets aren't fully charged xor I have too many collectors.

During a mission, if I mouse over a ship it will display the name of a part like it does on the ship construction screen. Is it supposed to do that?

Ok, now i feel stupid, i found the bug : Due to a variable change, all buildings were acting as if they were built, even when it's not the case. So for exemple, your Energy were giving energy to the Relay, even though they weren't built. That means they never had enough energy to be considered as built ...

1) Fixed, none of your Energy were actually built due to the bug, which is why it didn't register
2) That was one tough problem to fix O.o, i had kinda screwed my parent system ...
3) Yep, you were right, it was a bug, although not being able to spam build them is a feature :P
4) Fixed

Thanks alot, wouldn't have noticed without your help :)

Edited by tabc3dd, 08 May 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#62 Copernicus

Copernicus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

In general everything is working well. Only four things to report:

1) When exiting a skirmish a window pops up called "Test" where you can type things in.
2) In commander mode when summoning ships, the player and enemy ships display the lowest level sprites for their parts. Upon exiting commander mode the parts display their correct leveled-up graphics.
3) Clicking Arena will go to the campaign menu.
4) Mousing over an enemy assembly will create a division by zero error.

#63 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:00 AM

In general everything is working well. Only four things to report:

1) When exiting a skirmish a window pops up called "Test" where you can type things in.
2) In commander mode when summoning ships, the player and enemy ships display the lowest level sprites for their parts. Upon exiting commander mode the parts display their correct leveled-up graphics.
3) Clicking Arena will go to the campaign menu.
4) Mousing over an enemy assembly will create a division by zero error.

1) Already fixed :), it was a personal testing thing i forgot to remove
2) Ye, i know, i can't do much about this :(. The Parts have 4 subimages, and finding the correct subimage would mean having to assign an additional variable to each part, which i believe isn't worth it. However, i think i can find a workaround with my latest modifications, i'll see :)
3) Already fixed :)
4) Thanks ^^

Thank you so much for your help :), I'll upload the fixes in a day or 2
Tabc3dd

Edit : All fixed

Edited by tabc3dd, 11 May 2011 - 12:47 PM.

#64 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:15 AM

Bump with a great optimization change that might however induce a few bugs I haven't found yet

#65 Unsung Hero

Unsung Hero

GMC Member

• 286 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

It looks great; I made a ship with two rockets and a rail gun, although I haven't actually tested it yet because my computer is being stupid and maxing out its CPU every time I open it up. :unsure: Nice game, though. I like the "design your own ship" mechanic. Very original.

#66 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

It looks great; I made a ship with two rockets and a rail gun, although I haven't actually tested it yet because my computer is being stupid and maxing out its CPU every time I open it up. :unsure: Nice game, though. I like the "design your own ship" mechanic. Very original.

What do you mean by "Maxing out its CPU every time I open it up" though ? Do you mean the game is eating up all the CPU ?

#67 Unsung Hero

Unsung Hero

GMC Member

• 286 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:05 AM

Sort of. Every time I open the game, the task manager eats up all the CPU (about 70%-99%) and the game itself uses around very little (1%-15%). I don't know why it's doing this... :(

Edited by Unsung Hero, 24 May 2011 - 01:06 AM.

#68 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

Sort of. Every time I open the game, the task manager eats up all the CPU (about 70%-99%) and the game itself uses around very little (1%-15%). I don't know why it's doing this... :(

Wow, no idea ... I'll see if I get other reports of this problem, but currently it seems only you have it, sorry :/

#69 Unsung Hero

Unsung Hero

GMC Member

• 286 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:49 AM

Okay, I think I know what the problem is. My computer's graphics card sucks and the graphics must have been eating up all of the CPU.

EDIT: It appears I was right. I made the screen resolution 1280 by 1024 pixels and then I could finally play your game!!! :D

EDIT 2: Awesome game, tabc3dd. So far, I've only played a skirmish and a half (currently working on the second one; stupid enemy assemblers, building a bunch of enemy ships) and a free match but it's so fun designing your own ships! :P

Edited by Unsung Hero, 27 May 2011 - 06:46 PM.

#70 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

Okay, I think I know what the problem is. My computer's graphics card sucks and the graphics must have been eating up all of the CPU.

EDIT: It appears I was right. I made the screen resolution 1280 by 1024 pixels and then I could finally play your game!!! :D

EDIT 2: Awesome game, tabc3dd. So far, I've only played a skirmish and a half (currently working on the second one; stupid enemy assemblers, building a bunch of enemy ships) and a free match but it's so fun designing your own ships! :P

Glad you like it :)

#71 Craig Davidson

Craig Davidson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:12 AM

How on earth were you able to keep the weapons and other blocks attached to the core, and yet have them move in conjunction with the core's direction and x and y positions. Did you use Sine and Cosine functions to keep them attached. Can you please tell me how I can accomplish a feat, since I am interested in making a game with a similar system?

#72 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

How on earth were you able to keep the weapons and other blocks attached to the core, and yet have them move in conjunction with the core's direction and x and y positions. Did you use Sine and Cosine functions to keep them attached. Can you please tell me how I can accomplish a feat, since I am interested in making a game with a similar system?

Basically, each block has a three variables stored to it :

Dir : The direction from the core to the part when the core faces 0 degree
Dis : The distance from the core to the part
Core : The core the part is connected to.

and then in the step, i simply put this in the part's code :

x = Core.x+lengthdir_x(Dis,Dir+Core.direction)
y = Core.y+lengthdir_y(Dis,Dir+Core.direction)

This is all from memory, but I believe this is without error the basis of my system

Good luck
Tabc3dd

#73 SI II man

SI II man

GMC Member

• 83 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

Would It be acceptable to use this in a project I'm working on, having found this here, I've been looking for something like this for ages to draw multi sprite rotatable objects. This will be Invaluable?

I'd Bacicly be calling draw_sprite_ext( as:
draw_sprite_ext(<SPRITENAME>,<IND>,<OBJECT>.x+lengthdir_x(Dis,Dir+<OBJECT>.direction),<OBJECT>.y+lengthdir_y(Dis,Dir+<OBJECT>.direction),1,1,<ROT>,c_white,1)

incidentaly I presume you use point_direction(core.x,core.y,x,y) to determine the rotation of the part's sprite when drawing

Edited by SI II man, 21 August 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#74 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:31 PM

Would It be acceptable to use this in a project I'm working on, having found this here, I've been looking for something like this for ages to draw multi sprite rotatable objects. This will be Invaluable?

I'd Bacicly be calling draw_sprite_ext( as:
draw_sprite_ext(<SPRITENAME>,<IND>,<OBJECT>.x+lengthdir_x(Dis,Dir+<OBJECT>.direction),<OBJECT>.y+lengthdir_y(Dis,Dir+<OBJECT>.direction),1,1,<ROT>,c_white,1)

incidentaly I presume you use point_direction(core.x,core.y,x,y) to determine the rotation of the part's sprite when drawing

Sure, it's a simple code, feel free to use it :)

Good luck
Tabc3dd

Btw, from now on I will no longer visit these forums, sorry, moving to university ...

#75 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

Small bump as I was passing by

#76 theALCH3MIST

theALCH3MIST

GMC Member

• 92 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

This is a superb game. A little overly complex to figure out, but once you get the hang of it, it's remarkale how much fun you can have. :thumbsup:

#77 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

This is a superb game. A little overly complex to figure out, but once you get the hang of it, it's remarkale how much fun you can have. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much :) . I spent a bit of time greatly improving the tutorial, hopefully this should help a bit.

Tabc3dd

#78 jflorek

jflorek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Again, another question about your code...
How did you get the ships to save in the design screen and load into the missions / skirmishes? Did you use arrays for each ship? (itd be really helpful to know how you did it...)
:chikin
EDIT: lol random chicken

Edited by jflorek, 13 April 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#79 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Again, another question about your code...
How did you get the ships to save in the design screen and load into the missions / skirmishes? Did you use arrays for each ship? (itd be really helpful to know how you did it...)
:chikin
EDIT: lol random chicken

Actually I could have done that, but what I did is make the parts permanent and destroy all those who aren't owned when switching room. Then when building a new ship I check which parts are connected to the hangar cores and duplicate them according to their position and angle to the core.
Good luck
Tabc3dd

#80 jflorek

jflorek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

That must be what causes the bug where the random parts follow the mouse in the missions...
I find ur method rlly complicated but I understand it... sort of...
EDIT: did you use ur method because it lags less than arrays/grids?

Edited by jflorek, 17 April 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#81 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

That must be what causes the bug where the random parts follow the mouse in the missions...
I find ur method rlly complicated but I understand it... sort of...
EDIT: did you use ur method because it lags less than arrays/grids?

Wow, i never had that bug lol ^^
Actually, I used it because I didn't want to set up a huge array with all the owned parts, their position and if they were attached or not and to who, but in hindsight it would probably have been better on a few aspects

#82 jflorek

jflorek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

lol when I read this u had exactly 600 posts
anyways it always happens to me. Nearly every mission has parts that I (cheating) use to block enemy fire.
BTW i got ur final skirmish achievemt by using commander mode at the start of a skirmish 50 times -- counts as me winning 50 times.

#83 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

lol when I read this u had exactly 600 posts
anyways it always happens to me. Nearly every mission has parts that I (cheating) use to block enemy fire.
BTW i got ur final skirmish achievemt by using commander mode at the start of a skirmish 50 times -- counts as me winning 50 times.

XD ok thanks, I'll look into that

#84 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

I remember playing this game a long time ago! It was one of those games that made me want to get better at programming, thanks for that :thumbsup:

Edited by NicroGames, 26 April 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#85 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

I remember playing this game a long time ago! It was one of those games that made me want to get better at programming, thanks for that :thumbsup:

Thank you :), I'm glad to have been able to inspire you ^^.

#86 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

After some time off, here's an update, mainly concerning the HUDs and buildings.

Spoiler

As always, any feedback wether it be positive or negative is gladly appreciated. Let me know if you disapprove with any of the changes.

#87 MissingNo.

MissingNo.

Disco Inferno

• GMC:Member
  • 358 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

I have a request for a new option to be available in game. I would like a snap to grid option for the
buildings when your building them.

#88 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

I have a request for a new option to be available in game. I would like a snap to grid option for the
buildings when your building them.

Sure, however I don't know if I'll be able to release a new version any time soon, but i'll keep that in mind.

#89 MissingNo.

MissingNo.

Disco Inferno

• GMC:Member
  • 358 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:09 AM

Hey thanks its good to know that this game is not dead, and still getting updates.
but I would like to report a glitch a may have been fixed but I list it anyway: sometimes
weapons and parts for the ships in any ship builder mode will be active like example:
some weapons will be firing or the cloak upgrade will activate and cloak the whole ship
making it un editable.

#90 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ok then, fixed that and added a small permanent snap to grid for buildings. Nothing too noticeable but enough to make it seem more organized.

Changelog :

- Changed options in the hangar from default message boxes to more polished sliders.

- Improved AI placement in free play mode.

- Yet more optimization.

- Small graphical tweaks so that stat bars don't over or under extend.

- Nerfed regenerators so as to regen every 2 seconds rather then three times a second, but multiplied by 6 energy restored.

- Graphical changes to some weapon effects.

- Updated F1 help.

- Greatly improved intro sequence.

- Reverted changed concerning energy regenerating parts.

- Improved design of all enemy ships.

- Updated various other ships to take in account part stat changes.

- Made HQs more imposing.

- Buildings now snap to grid (8 pixels snap) to allow greater organization.

- Fixed a bug where sometimes parts would act in hangars.

- Other small changes and bug fix.

Edited by tabc3dd, 21 August 2012 - 09:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users