4 replies to this topic

#1 AqAZAr

AqAZAr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 47 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:13 AM

I'm having a few issues with the file size of a game I'm creating. I believe the problem stems from the game's cutscenes, but I'm not absolutely certain. What are some general tips I can get for cleaning out a game, making it run smoother (and faster), and overall reducing the file size?

#2 Canite

Canite

Canigget

• GMC Member
  • 1358 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:22 AM

I know of a few things that can give you a big file size and cause lag. Here's what I know
  • Big Sprites
  • Big Backgrounds
  • Sprites with a large amount of frames
  • Too many objects
  • Not using tiles
  • Running lots of collision events
  • Particles not being destroyed
  • Room size too large
  • Not deactivating instances
  • Large Sound files (especially .wav's)
What you can do help it
  • Get rid of big sprites/background (duh)
  • Deactivate instances outside the view
  • Use tiles for blocks and only cover parts that the player will actually go
  • Use smaller room sizes (or deactivate outside the view)
  • Make sure you destroy particle systems (same goes for surfaces)
  • Get rid of your large sound files and use a smaller file size (like .midi or .mp3)

Hope this helps.

edit: woops got .wav's and .mp3's mixed up

Edited by Canite, 16 September 2010 - 04:55 AM.

#3 Vivi_IX

Vivi_IX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:34 AM

Well, something that usually incresses file is using many images. If you have a lot (or even a few) fairly large images files in your .gmk, your best bet is use GM's include file feature and load all the files into the gmk that way. Then you can export them automatically or to specific place using export_include_file(fname). After that you'll need to load them into your game by using sprite_add() or background_add() or something else. Before you include the image files you might want to compress them as much as possible in the .jpg format, or any other format as long it works for you. This really sounds like alot of work but it really pays off. I changed a game that was about 25MB with a loading time of about 4mins on a good coputer TO a game that was 8MB with a loading time that only took seconds. This method is better used for games made with GM7 or later versions since they used the .bmp format which used more memory.

#4 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:36 AM

What kinda of file size are we talking about?

One of the mistakes beginners make, is to use .wav's for music. Do not, without thinking carefully, use .wav's for music[for sound effects it's o.k.]... long songs can make for a massive file. .mp3's are o.k, .midi's are pretty teeny. Both of them better options.

#5 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:46 AM

Alternatively, you could use a dll to manage your sound. Most usually allow for filetypes with a better balance in between quality and compression.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users