28 replies to this topic

#1 titusthreex

titusthreex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:17 AM

Mysterious disappearances numbering by the hundreds plagues a once quiet and scenic town. Its up to investigative reporter Alex Rig to discover the answers to the unexplained. Unfortunately finding the truth isn't that easy, especially when he is trying to survive against the attacks of savage mutants, killer guards and tons of other enemies.

Game made for YoYoGames' Competiton 06 featuring musical compositions of SuperJoeBob.

Arrow Keys = run, jump
Z=shoot straight
X=shoot up
C=Open / Activate / Use
Space Bar= Backpack Inventory
Escape= Quit

LINK--> http://sandbox.yoyog...142510-the-hive

Thanks for playing.

11555283.jpg
11555284.jpg
11555285.jpg
11555286.jpg

Titus 3:5 "he saved us not by works of righteousness that we have done but on the basis of his mercy"
http://www.yoyogames...142510-the-hive

#2 Overpants

Overpants

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:49 AM

I don't feel like playing. Can anyone download this game and ask it the following questions?

- What are next week's winning lotto numbers?
- Will GOOG stocks continue to rise over the next 5 years?
- Why does my stomach handle tomatoes so badly?
- Is there any meaning to our life upon this earth?

And maybe ask it these, though if it's smart, there's no way it'll answer. "How was your technology conceived? Who made you? And for what purpose?"

We are playing with fire here. Stay clear, kids. Let me do the talking.
Current status: NEWEST GAME COMPLETE
Millenium Pants << Download

#3 Lavatrex

Lavatrex

GMC Member

• 43 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:21 AM

This game is absolutely amazing :D and to Overpants:

You will be reincarnated over and over again until you find the knowledge to unchain you from this prison planet. Until then, have fun!
http://www.yoyogames...36210-mindtrips
check out my competition06 game!!!

#4 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4785 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

Unfortunately, Overpants will be reincarnated on these very forums.
GMLscripts.com, rise from your grave!

If any of my posts contain broken images or links, I can probably supply them for you. PM with a link to the post.

#5 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

This is pretty cool. Reminds me a bit of Iji in some ways but has it's own thing going on too. Graphics are good though I'm never fond of alpha transparent effects against simple (but very nice) pixel art. Animation is decent. Run cycle isn't very convincing but other player animations are more succesful like kicking the door open (for some reason I then tried to use that button straight away to kick an enemy after opening the door and was disappointed that no kick occured). Controls too felt a little awkward at times for example the jumping was very difficult to do when needing to do a little more precise jump, was constantly overshooting where I wanted to land.

How do you make it fullscreen though? My eyes got really very sore especially when trying to read the text.

I didn't hear any music by the way.

Overall a pretty decent and attractive game. Will likely give it another go when I have more time.

#6 titusthreex

titusthreex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

How do you make it fullscreen though?

Rules of competition 06 doesnt recommend full screen.

@overpants - Seek and you shall find. Hint: Go to the "HELIPAD" :) .
Titus 3:5 "he saved us not by works of righteousness that we have done but on the basis of his mercy"

#7 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

Rules of competition 06 doesnt recommend full screen.

To not start fullscreen sure, but come on it's gotta be there as an option after running (and saved into the ini file preferably). I doubt YoYo Games can be quite that moronic enough to ban fullscreen totally. Even GM's ultra crappy blurry default fullscreen method when pressing F4 would be preferably than the eyestrain of trying to play PSP sized games on a PC. Difficult to focus on the game too with Windows all around it.

#8 titusthreex

titusthreex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

3.Game must start in a window, though a full screen option, or using the F4 key is allowed- full screen size is limited to 480Ũ272

Above rule #3, although intent is obvious, the verbage is not exactly crystal clear. I agree with what you said, and also YOYO being lenient with their competitions. I do plan to incorporate all those and more, after the competition.

#9 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

Ok I'll wait for that version before really getting into it. It's a pretty cool game and I just want to be able to play it in a way I can properly get absorbed into it and not cause myself permanent eyesight issues :)

#10 ador862

ador862

Spyre Games

• GMC Member
  • 340 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

Great game, and I totally agree with Carnivac.
The controls are a bit iffy and context sensitive, and I guess it might make more sense from a design standpoint to be tailored to the psp, I guess. The graphics were pretty good in most places :D Jumping annoys me the most :(

I haven't really kept up with gamemaker at all, so how exactly do we play these on the PSP atm?

#11 superjoebob

superjoebob

YM2612

• 1515 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

I didn't hear any music by the way.

The music is in MIDI format, so if you don't have MIDI set up or if the volume is down (Windows Media Player has a nasty tendency to zero out the midi volume) you wont hear any music. The music is also fairly sparsely separated, there's a lot more near the end than there is at the beginning.

I haven't really kept up with gamemaker at all, so how exactly do we play these on the PSP atm?

At the moment we can't, we need to wait for YoYo to release Game Maker 9 :D.

Game Maker user since the beginning
Online Music Portfolio - High-Res Wallpaper
I speak before I think.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:02 AM

Now this is a game I can play for a good amount of time, the only thing that bothers me is the lack of a full-screen option. (At least I could not find one.) I love the art style and smooth game play. Keep up the good work, good luck in the competition! :)

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#13 cooldreng13

cooldreng13

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

I really like the art and the gameplay :D

its a awsome game but there is bugs everywhere

for example
when you kill an evemy near the walls you can see thier body on the other side of the wall
and the camera is strange when you change room, sometimes when you try to kill an enemy, will they only die if you stun in the lower part..
and the last thing i can remember is: when you duck in places and then go out again you will still be in the duck position until you have clicked up again or jumped.

I can take screenshots later ;)

#14 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:16 AM

Good game! I finished it last night after playing for a good while... Very well done, nice graphics, good sound, good story, but a bit short and maybe lacks certain variety.

But I did find a few bugs...

1) If you use up the last health pack, but donīt change the cursor position, then you can keep using them! Infinite health!
2) Sometimes the player gets stuck when on platforms that are near the ceiling. It looks like he should be able to walk, but canīt and has to duck...
3) When you run and press z the camara shifts and stops, but the player doesnīt, meaning that the player runs out the screen!
4) When yoou change room, the camara seems to jump to a position within the room, then back to where the player is...

Good luck in the comp!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#15 Alz

Alz

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

How do wrenches work? I've got more than 3 of each type and the weapons seem to be the same. I've selected them from the menu and there doesn't seem to be any impact either.

Nevermind, I see now. Or not. Do the wrenches matter at all?

Edited by Alz, 02 September 2010 - 03:29 PM.

#16 titusthreex

titusthreex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for playing and thanks for all your bug reports. I'll start writing a fix for all those and release a less error version once its safe to update the game files.

#17 superjoebob

superjoebob

YM2612

• 1515 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

How do wrenches work? I've got more than 3 of each type and the weapons seem to be the same. I've selected them from the menu and there doesn't seem to be any impact either.

I'm pretty sure the more wrenches you have, the more upgraded your gun gets when you reach an upgrade point. I figure that's how it works because I found my first upgrade point near the end of the game, after collecting a load of shotgun upgrades. I immediately got a solid gold shotgun with infinite ammo, I can't imagine that's the first shotgun upgrade :lol:.

Game Maker user since the beginning
Online Music Portfolio - High-Res Wallpaper
I speak before I think.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 titusthreex

titusthreex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

The blue wrenches upgrades your assault rifle. The gold wrenches upgrades your 6 round shotgun to an automatic shotgun with unlimited bullets. In order to upgrade your rifle or shotgun, you must find an upgrade station.

#19 Mordi

Mordi

Maker of Menus

• 3635 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hi, I'd just like to inform you that your game has been featured on Gamer.no. I think it's the most popular Norwegian gaming-site. First time I've seen them link directly to GMC.

Anyway, the game looks really sweet.

#20 titusthreex

titusthreex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:31 AM

Hi, I'd just like to inform you that your game has been featured on Gamer.no. I think it's the most popular Norwegian gaming-site. First time I've seen them link directly to GMC.

Thank you so much for the link.

#21 UnionJack

UnionJack

Psychedelic_Ni

• 163 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

I beat it in one sitting. It is a little buggy, but graphically very impressive!! It is unbelievably satisfying to kill the hordes of mutants and guards, and they fall and splat properly :P. Also I had a bit of a scare the first time I ran into some baddies. Props! I would love to see some bug fixes, as well as a fullscreen option!
The bug that bothers me the most is the music. Even if I choose to shut it off, it still starts sometimes.
Overall this is such an awesome game. High energy, good detail, and action packed.
Cheers!
Ludum Dare 23 - Pond: The Strider

#22 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:28 AM

Congratulations on wining the competition, I was hoping The Hive! would win. ^_^

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#23 deano-5

deano-5

GMC Member

• 76 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Love the game :D

The shooting was a little awkward when trying to aim. Will the PC version get any extra features/improvements?

#24 HeadInjuryGames

HeadInjuryGames

AKA Suppercut

• GMC Member
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

This was one hell of an awesome game. One of my favorite PSP-ready games, along with Cartographer.

Also, on the timed part, I got stuck in between two robot circles and wasted too much time because I couldn't get out from between them till I finally killed them both by jumping and letting a round in its face every two seconds... so by the time I reached the keybearing robot there was like 5 seconds left and when time ran out I just went right back to the beginning of the fight with, yup, 5 seconds left. Insert infinite loop of fail and me screaming FUUUUUUUU--:angry:

Soon I will beat that blasted game. <_<
Posted Image

#25 Stephen McIntee

Stephen McIntee

Awesome Custom Title

• 151 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

This game is great but I found two major issues,

1: When jumping to another ledge the player has to time it perfectly..(Jumping is to hard)

2: When I was crouching and I jump new a gear in the background I can go through the walls.

Other than that its pretty fun.

Posted Image

#26 gunswordfist

gunswordfist

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:46 PM

Where can I download this game? Download links no longer work.

#27 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:08 PM

Try contacting the OP: http://gmc.yoyogames...mMemberID=55278

This topic is four years old, maybe he forgot about it.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#28 gunswordfist

gunswordfist

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:08 AM

Thank you.

#29 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators