• 581 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:20 AM

Stars(STARS)

Type: Simple Arcade

Made with: Gamemaker 7 Pro :GM7: Converted with GM4Mac

Platforms: Windows, Mac OS X

Fullscreen?: no

Resolution: The default windowed 640X480

Description: You must guide stars to black holes without touching the stars, black holes, or star bits. Try to aim for a high score as you advance wave by wave and using boosts to get an edge.

Features:

• Rank System

• 11 Achievements in three difficulties thus making it to 33

• 9 Boosts

• High Score(Not Online)

• Stars, Black holes, Star bits, coins, and multipliers

Download:

Click Here (Mac Version)

Updates:

9/9/10 The file is now a .dmg instead of a .zip

10/9/10 The following has be changed in this version:

• Fixed a bug that could eventually lag the game

• Added Three difficulties

• Added the ability to turn off trails

• Background Stars have been increased

• The Star that follows you has a graphic remake.

• Help document has been made visible(Mac OS X only)

• The file has been reversed to a .zip(Mac OS X)

Thanks for playing and be sure to tell me suggestions, feedback, or bugs in order to possibly improve this game.smile.gif This will be updated sporadically. Also read the readme.

Edited by goldsonic46, 23 March 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#2 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

I'd appreciate it if you could package this as a .dmg file. Just because my Downloads folder is already a mess. :)

Will test later.

#3 goldsonic46

goldsonic46

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

I don't how to pack it as a .dmg

#4 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:06 AM

Simply use "Disk Utility" and then create a new image. Drag your .app into the .dmg, and release.

You can make the .dmg flashier (see my Alien Swarmz game as an example) but that's the basic concept, really.

#5 carla12

carla12

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

love the topic...

#6 max_r_61270

max_r_61270

GMC Member

• 411 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:54 PM

The download doesn't work on my computer. Use a different file host please.

#7 goldsonic46

goldsonic46

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

The download doesn't work on my computer. Use a different file host please.

If you're using Windows, you must go the windows version game which has a direct link to the page on the first post. Otherwise the page works fine.

#8 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:57 AM

There's no documentation, I always lose in about 2 seconds.

#9 goldsonic46

goldsonic46

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:23 AM

The help file didn't render correctly. It will appear fine on Windows(I wrote it in GM7 not GM4Mac) but not on a Mac. But mainly highlight the text and it'll appear. Sorry for that.

Edited by goldsonic46, 26 September 2010 - 03:28 AM.

#10 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:31 AM

It's a good concept, but a bit buggy. Give it a bit of love, better graphics, and more game modes, and it could be a great arcade game.

7/10.

#11 goldsonic46

goldsonic46

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:20 AM

10/9/10 The following has be changed in this version(This can be seen on top):

• Fixed a bug that could eventually lag the game
  • Added Three difficulties
  • Added the ability to turn off trails
  • Background Stars have been increased
  • The Star that follows you has a graphic remake.
  • Help document has been made visible(Mac OS X only)

I'm really glad that I have made a fix and added a few things. The next update will focus on multiple game modes.

Edited by goldsonic46, 23 March 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#12 rvalle

rvalle

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

The game has an interesting concept. I thought it was a little hard to play though. The object that you guide around should look different than the other stars so you don't get confused which is yours. Instead of collisions with the mouse cursor, you might consider making the player avoid collisions between the object and the other stars. I think that would improve the gameplay. The boosts and achievements were a nice touch. Overall the game does seem very promising. It just needs some tweaking.

#13 goldsonic46

goldsonic46

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

The game has an interesting concept. I thought it was a little hard to play though. The object that you guide around should look different than the other stars so you don't get confused which is yours. Instead of collisions with the mouse cursor, you might consider making the player avoid collisions between the object and the other stars. I think that would improve the gameplay. The boosts and achievements were a nice touch. Overall the game does seem very promising. It just needs some tweaking.

Thanks for the feedback. However, I don't understand this part:

Instead of collisions with the mouse cursor, you might consider making the player avoid collisions between the object and the other stars

The game is played with the mouse, that's kinda the point in this game. Unless you meant to add collision with the other objects(black holes and star bits) other than the stars, there is collision. Could you explain your suggestion more clearly?

#14 rvalle

rvalle

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback. However, I don't understand this part:

Instead of collisions with the mouse cursor, you might consider making the player avoid collisions between the object and the other stars

The game is played with the mouse, that's kinda the point in this game. Unless you meant to add collision with the other objects(black holes and star bits) other than the stars, there is collision. Could you explain your suggestion more clearly?

Sure. What I meant was that it is difficult to guide a star into a black hole and avoid colliding the mouse cursor into other stars at the same time. What I was suggesting was having no collisions with the mouse cursor, and making the player avoid colliding the star that he is moving into the other stars. Does that make more sense?

#15 goldsonic46

goldsonic46

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:09 PM

So you're saying that the player should try to avoid colliding star with other star or have no collision with any other object but the stars so you must avoid stars but can touch the other objects? The way I made was supposed to be like that. In Orb Avoidance 2, the objective of the game is the same. This game was my influence, so making it ridiculously easy(unless I decide later on to add a fourth difficulty that is based off of this) is not the scope in this game. Is this what you meant?

#16 rvalle

rvalle

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:07 AM

So you're saying that the player should try to avoid colliding star with other star or have no collision with any other object but the stars so you must avoid stars but can touch the other objects? The way I made was supposed to be like that. In Orb Avoidance 2, the objective of the game is the same. This game was my influence, so making it ridiculously easy(unless I decide later on to add a fourth difficulty that is based off of this) is not the scope in this game. Is this what you meant?

Yeah, that sounds pretty close to what I meant. I basically just wanted the game to not end when a star touches the mouse cursor. Instead, the game would only end if the star you're guiding touches another star. Sorry for making it sound so complicated before. I didn't realize you were trying to base your gameplay on a different game. I had never seen Orb Avoidance 2 before. My suggestion would definitely change the gameplay, so it wouldn't really be like the Orb game anymore. If you want the game to be true to the Orb game's design, then yeah, you definitely couldn't take away the collisions with the mouse cursor.

#17 BubbaMonkeyStudios

BubbaMonkeyStudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

Overall I really like the concept. It's incredibly fun and has lots of those intense moments. The only problem I found was that at first you dont realize why you're dying. There should be in game help bubbles or something that tells you exactly why you died.

Graphics: 4/5 (the black holes need a to be more like the stars)
Gameplay:5/5
Interface: 3/5 (natural controls are great but lack of in-game help makes it hard to initially understand)

#18 goldsonic46

goldsonic46

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:01 AM

There is a documentation help within the game. Find the button 'Help.'

Thanks for testing out my game.

Edited by goldsonic46, 10 November 2010 - 01:01 AM.

#19 coolman1081

coolman1081

GMC Member

• 166 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

It'd be better if you didn't die from touching the black hole.

#20 goldsonic46

goldsonic46

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:07 AM

I tried to imitate it like Orb Avoidance 2. Of course you die from touching the black holes, otherwise it would too easy.

#21 binarybits

binarybits

Binary Bits

• GMC Member
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

i love how after you lead a star to a back hole two more start following you. five stars

#22 minitarzan

minitarzan

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

It is fun playing your little game. To improve it, I also believe it would be better if player dies only if star he is guiding, touch any other star. Help file was useful since at first I was having trouble to see the goal of the game. Simple graphics is not an issue here, but if you think of polishing the game it would be essential.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users