• Version:GM8

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:05 PM

"The Ugly Doodle"
for competition06

Category: Platform adventure
File Size: 6.5 MB
GM Version: :GM8:
Screen Resolution: 480 x 272
Changes Screen Resolution: no (optional fullscreen)

Description

Discover that colour will bring drawings to life as you venture through 3 pieces of paper, in search of romance, after promising a deal with the almighty creator. But in turn you will discover alot more about the paper you are living on. [3 worlds with 9 levels in each.]

:GM129: Play Now

:GM129: Game Jolt [version: 2.2]

Controls/PSP mapping

D-PAD = ARROW KEYS [for movement and selecting options on menus]
START BUTTON = P [to bring up the pause menu]
(X) = Z [this is the primary key and will be used for almost everything]
(O) = C [returning within menus]
(□) = X [restarts level on the pause menu]

Screenshots

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Credits

Me (core engine/programming, design/story and levels)
Aidan Rypens (programming, music and general awesomeness)
INNO (graphics, design/story and sticking with me this long!)
-minor credits-
Shaded Wolf Games/bjr95 (level select help)
2Dcube (saving and loading)
Rion (PSP buttons)
GMTechnical (for helping out with previous engines - which will be used mate!)
Rtyp06 (help with the globals for the colouring brushes)

Final Notes

The game took a laborous 2 months to create, and were all working up until the deadline. The game we have here is also something very different to what we started out with and since then the competition entry changed a total of 5 times (this being the 6th attempt)!! 6th time lucky, eh? ;) We all hope you enjoy it and please give back constructive criticism.

Edited by TD Games, 25 August 2011 - 09:18 PM.

#2 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

I´m glad to see you finished this! Lovely game, nicely done, with a good sense of humour and it deserves to place well in the competition! The gameplay is smooth and has a good learning curve, the music fits beautifully and the graphics are simple and elegant... My only minor (very minor!) complaint would be that I´d have liked the main character to be completely opaque and stand out a little bit more...

Good luck in the competition!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#3 Thaisa

Thaisa

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

Very clean game, I think it's worth the prize of 1000 USD !!
Great graphics, cool story, fun to play.

Well see about that, good luck !

Edited by Thaisa, 01 September 2010 - 05:02 PM.

#4 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

I already PMed you with my comments, before you posted this topic. =)
I have a few ideas for it still, even though the deadline has already past. :(

You could add a falling feature, where you can press the jump key in midair and your cape opens up and you fall much slower. It could open up some ideas for future level designs.

That, and maybe fix up some of the spike collisions a little.

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#5 ev149

ev149

NinetySix Design

• GMC Member
  • 1035 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:13 AM

Maybe I'm just a bad gamer, but I could never get that green paintbrush in the double-jump level.  From what I've played, it had very nice graphics and fairly smooth gameplay.  Only crit would be that the "z" looked like a "2" to me, so I ended up mashing the 2 key on my keyboard for five minutes before I realized it was a z. XD
I ain't 'round these parts too much no more...

InfraTerrra

#6 imam_mashur

imam_mashur

GMC Member

• 282 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:35 AM

This is great game. Cool graphic.

Sorry if my english is BAD. I tried my best to study english.

Simple Menu Example---Draw your health bar

Spoiler

#7 Bill23

Bill23

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

I just beat this game and I enjoyed doing it. For the most part the levels follow a natural progression of difficulty (although a couple felt much harder or easier than those around them.) I particularly liked the way you introduced new level gimmicks periodically, rather than all at once at the beginning. Too many GM gamesa take the latter approach. I enjoyed the music, but I felt the graphics were a bit to simple- I understand the look you were going for, but I still wish that more detail could have been provided. even some simple, hand drawn looking backgrounds with plants or something would've helped. I did like the wall the graphics gained color to show how far into the level you were though. Control wise, the game was mostly solid, but I wish it was possible to double jump after falling off a block. I almost got completely frustrated and gave up on the level ev149 was talking about, and allowing jumping after falling would have avoided this.

Edited by Bill23, 03 September 2010 - 03:54 PM.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

Why is the collision with the saws so darn off? It's like it hits them 15 frames before a collision. It's as if the collision mask for the saws are 3 times bigger that the actual image.

Interesting game though. I would fix the collision and update the game.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#9 TD Games

TD Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

I´m glad to see you finished this! Lovely game, nicely done, with a good sense of humour and it deserves to place well in the competition! The gameplay is smooth and has a good learning curve, the music fits beautifully and the graphics are simple and elegant... My only minor (very minor!) complaint would be that I´d have liked the main character to be completely opaque and stand out a little bit more...

All the graphics before I made the game were opaque until I made everything 60% transparent. I didn't think that the player looked very good if he wasn't see through but I might make him abit more opaque.

I just beat this game and I enjoyed doing it. For the most part the levels follow a natural progression of difficulty (although a couple felt much harder or easier than those around them.) I particularly liked the way you introduced new level gimmicks periodically, rather than all at once at the beginning. Too many GM gamesa take the latter approach. I enjoyed the music, but I felt the graphics were a bit to simple- I understand the look you were going for, but I still wish that more detail could have been provided. even some simple, hand drawn looking backgrounds with plants or something would've helped. I did like the wall the graphics gained color to show how far into the level you were though. Control wise, the game was mostly solid, but I wish it was possible to double jump after falling off a block. I almost got completely frustrated and gave up on the level ev149 was talking about, and allowing jumping after falling would have avoided this.

Yes, I talked about doing things like transparent backgrounds with my graphics designer but we agreed that the level would look very confusing with such a small screen to deal with.

Hmm, double jumping after a block? I personally think that would make it too easy but if there is enough people to change my mind then I'll change it.

Why is the collision with the saws so darn off? It's like it hits them 15 frames before a collision. It's as if the collision mask for the saws are 3 times bigger that the actual image.

Interesting game though. I would fix the collision and update the game.

Yes it's problem, but it's a problem that I couldn't fix because I don't know why it's like that. I have searched through the source and I don't know why. Maybe because it's animating all the time and inconjunction with something else I don't know. :/

Thanks for all the comments and compliments everybody!

Edited by TD Games, 03 September 2010 - 11:01 PM.

#10 TD Games

TD Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

http://gamejolt.com/...ly-doodle/3459/

The above version has some bugs fixed (like the music overlapping etc) but some are still to be fixed. I just thought I'd get it out there.

#11 TD Games

TD Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

(legal) Bump.

#12 TD Games

TD Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

Game has been updated! I fixed the friction, transition for falling out of the room, player hitbox and sped up the ending cutscene so it doesn't take as long to fade in and out. Enjoy!

I'd really appreciate some replies! :)

#13 TD Games

TD Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

I haven't had much plays on this game which is quite disappointing considering how much effort I put in to it. I know it isn't the greatest game in the world - or even in the GM world - but I think it is fun (and adrenalin pumping too - if you stick around for the later levels!). The Ugly Doodle has actually recieved some good feedback actually as well on YYGs, the GMC, Personal Messages, Indiegamer.com and the TIGSForums.

I would really appreciate it if you give the game a chance and maybe leave a line or two here!

Thanks

There may also be a sequel in the works!!

Edited by TD Games, 05 August 2011 - 08:05 PM.

#14 RootGræpfruit

RootGræpfruit

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:59 AM

Very nice game but one thing...
CRAP Collision Masks.
I get killed of a Saw if i stand 16 pixel away. :verymad:

-Root
Posted Image

#15 TD Games

TD Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Very nice game but one thing...
CRAP Collision Masks.
I get killed of a Saw if i stand 16 pixel away. :verymad:

-Root

Thanks and sorry for such a late reply (almost a year ago) ;)

I just wanted to make one last push for people to play the game as most of the new members from YoYo probably won't have played it. We spent a huge amount of time developing a game for the competition and this being our last attempt because I just couldn't keep my mind focused! But Aidan and INNO stuck with me thankfully.

I know it might not look like much but hopefully you can appreciate it. Although I was hard work some times, I found the experience very rewarding (hopefully the others did too) and it is hard to believe that it was almost 2 years ago!!

Please leave a comment here if you do play it as it will help me with future projects (another TUD game?!).

TD

Edited by TD Games, 23 June 2012 - 08:48 PM.