• 1353 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

Posted Image

A Sky Castle Games Production

Posted ImagePosted Image

Download
Download (Box.net): God's Watch
Download (Yoyo Games): God's Watch
It can also be found along with my other games on my website at www.skycastle-games.co.nr
File Size: 6.2 Mb zipped
Fullscreen: Optional with F4
Resolution Change: No
Made with :GM7:

Introduction
Hello good people of the GMC! It's been a while since I've released anything, but with a month of hard work, I've managed to finish my first Competition entry. I call it God's Watch, as that's exactly what you discover... Well, in a sense. You play as an average city dweller with a passion for parkour (or free running). Your desire to get better leads you to a mysterious watch. The scientists who found it want the watch destroyed, but you want to show it to the world. Why? It proves the existence of God.

Oh, and in case you don't notice, this game was inspired by Mirror's Edge (Created by DICE).

Features
-Three levels and an introduction level
-Helicopter chase scenes
-Hand drawn cut-scenes
-Standard platforming abilities along with dismounting, rolling, ledge climbing, pole climbing, sliding, and rope swinging
-Stylized, simplistic graphics with smooth animations
-And, of course, much more!

Disclaimer
I would like to point out that God's Watch is not directed at any religion specifically and is not trying to send a message about religion in any way. The game's story is a work of fiction and should be seen only as a plot device. I'd like to say that the game was made by a team of multicultural and religiously diverse individuals, but sadly I was the only one who made it :P.

Edited by Sulfuric, 03 September 2010 - 03:50 PM.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#2 JID

JID

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:37 AM

This was a great, smooth and polished platformer. It is easy to see that this is influenced by Mirror's Edge. But the only downpoint I have to say is the controls can get very clunky at times which made me die mostly on the platforming parts. Other than that, a VERY polished and VERY professional game. 9/10! Great job and I would like to see more work from you. ;D

Edited by JID, 04 September 2010 - 04:41 AM.

#3 wa1do_13

wa1do_13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:31 AM

I'm impressed, this is definitely one of the better GM games I've played in a while. You really seemed to grasp the simplicity of the game rather than trying to over-complicate it, which is a pitfall I've been seeing frequently. The game simply has a fun platforming system, and focuses on varying it the whole time- a very good decision. The graphics are very appealing, and the enemies and chase sequences are pretty exciting. I actually felt the music was very good- it suited the game well and was quite catchy- but I wish you utilized it more than you did, especially since there was such a lack of sound effects themselves. The controls were also somewhat unwieldy when trying to perform any precise platforming, but all in all, this is one of the better GM games I've played this year.

I am vengeance, I am the night, I am BATMAN! (Batmans away)

Check out Pandemic here!
Play Pandemic on Facebook here!

#4 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:33 AM

Cool. Playing it now. There is something wrong with the music. It scared the crap out of me when it started playing five minutes in the game. There is also no sound effects.

[edit]
Impossible
Download impossible.jpg

How can I get passed this?

Edited by icuurd12b42, 04 September 2010 - 06:26 AM.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#5 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

Cool. Playing it now. There is something wrong with the music. It scared the crap out of me when it started playing five minutes in the game. There is also no sound effects.

[edit]
Impossible
Download impossible.jpg

How can I get passed this?

Before the sniper scene takes place, there is a tutorial bit that tells you how to do quick climbing and dismounting. Basically, you should jump into the ledge your dismounting from, rather than falling onto it like the picture shows. For a bit better explanation, hit P and go to Controls and Techniques and select Proper Climbing. If you mean where do you go, just dismount off of it onto the rope.

Thank you all for the comments! That was quite the explosion of comments after almost a weak without any :P. Also, yeah, there aren't many sound effects. I just didn't have the resources to really make new ones. Oh, and the file size is getting pretty close to it's limit. Sorry about the song explosion :P. The box.net version has a song in it before you go to the menu, but that's really the only sound effect I can think of before you get to the big building.

Posted Image

#6 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:32 AM

pfew... Done! Good 2 hours of gaming there... 30 minutes if you know the levels.

#7 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:41 AM

That game is seriously sweet, well polished but still not as polished as you would of normally made it if you didnt have a deadline,..well actually im glad it did have a dead line otherwise like so many others on the community it may never get finished and this is one of those games we really need finished.

The errors I encountered I have already submitted to you via email, however they are very minor anyways and I dont think anyone else will find them.

Some of the music could of been polished a little more, in one of the helicopter sequences the music started and played for all of 3 seconds and then when the helicopter appeared the music started again.

Look forward to the sequel!

#8 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:14 PM

There are a few very minor spelling/grammar errors, but that doesn't take away from the fantastic game.
I think there's a good chance you'll WIN the competition. This game has style, creativity, a cool story, awesome chase scenes (people, snipers AND helicopters, DAMN) and very fun parkour moments. Something that is very cool is that you can learn how to run efficiently by watching the guards chase you! That's how I learned about grabbing a ledge while moving up instead of down to save time.
Personally, I dislike that running animation. I feel that a game with this much style deserves a better running animation, but I'm just nitpicking from a masterpiece.

Well, that's all. I'm going to go out into the sunlight to breathe some fresh oxygen, but I'll log off first so people would need to know my password to use my computer. :D

#9 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

There are a few very minor spelling/grammar errors, but that doesn't take away from the fantastic game.
I think there's a good chance you'll WIN the competition. This game has style, creativity, a cool story, awesome chase scenes (people, snipers AND helicopters, DAMN) and very fun parkour moments. Something that is very cool is that you can learn how to run efficiently by watching the guards chase you! That's how I learned about grabbing a ledge while moving up instead of down to save time.
Personally, I dislike that running animation. I feel that a game with this much style deserves a better running animation, but I'm just nitpicking from a masterpiece.

Well, that's all. I'm going to go out into the sunlight to breathe some fresh oxygen, but I'll log off first so people would need to know my password to use my computer. :D

Thank you very much! I figured there'd be a few spelling/grammar errors. I don't know where they are, but I know they're there. I also don't really like the running animation, but I had to move on to the actual game (I made the engine and animations first).

Posted Image

#10 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:55 AM

They are very small and unnoticeable. A couple were in the logbook about God's Watch that you find. I remember only there being one from the game teaching you to play. If you're planning on updating the game, you could take them out.
Incidentally, I'm a grammar freak. I noticed an error in a Zelda game before.

I like how you used the "Discovery" theme too. A person interested in parkour climbs buildings, and finds himself in a dangerous situation. I'll be mad if you don't place.

#11 Shaolin

Shaolin

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:44 AM

Excellent! I don't see enough Parkour style platformers, ever since Prince of Persia on PsP I've been in love with them though.
Posted Image

#12 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:57 AM

Best gamemaker game I've played in forever.

Making games is hard, but satisfying.

#13 LoopStan

LoopStan

North-See Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1398 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:21 AM

This game is incredible! It reminds me a lot of Mirrors Edge, which is the same kind of game, except your dealing money for illegal stuff... But yeah, So far the game is great! I think adding some sound and more visual effects would make it better.

Edit : I just got passed the tutorial, the sound fx are great, and I love the breaking glass! This game is extremely sweet. The platform engine in it is beyond anything i've seen on the gmc.

Edited by LoopStan, 14 September 2010 - 03:29 AM.

Posted Image

#14 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

Finally beat it.
Spoiler

There was a glitch a rope was inside a building on lev3.
You could get in the building when your running from the helicopter between the grey things where a white platform and a rope below it.

#15 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:35 PM

This game is amazing. I love it. I did notice a glitch in the first sniper part (second checkpoint, right before you escape the sniper into the building). Stand on the checkpoint, and run backwards. You will be able to fall through the building.

Some other things:
- You should add some more music to the game. I only noticed two different bgm's and they were scarcely used.
- I didn't like how if you jumped into a wall, you were pretty much screwed. There should at least be a way to save your self (eg. kick off of the wall)
- There should be some sort of way to take out enemies, possibly by sliding into them.
- Also, the sliding should be longer.
- Lastly, make it longer! Haha, I realize that you are almost at the limit and adding many resources would make it over the limit, so how about a minigame? Set up a mini-level and have it be timed. Or one where you have to escape from enemies/helicopter. Or make a rope challenge. Anything that can increase the length of the game.

EDIT: From a friend (not on the GMC):

There needs to be a "jump sensor". Like in mario, where if you hold the button longer it does a bigger jump. This is just based off momentum

I also agree. Hold it for a long jump, tap it for a short jump.

Edited by halo shg, 20 September 2010 - 12:04 AM.

Dev: MacBook Pro Retina Display 15" w/ Win7 (Parallels) running GM Studio: Master and GM8 (GMS: ANDROID JAVA EXTENSIONS ARE HERE!)
Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II / Samsung Galaxy S III / iPhone 4S / iPad 2 / iPod Touch 5th gen

Politics' is made up of two words, 'poli,' which is Greek for 'many,' and 'tics,' which are blood-sucking insects.

-Gore Vidal

#16 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:40 AM

I never excpected it to be this good.
10/10

#17 attm

attm

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

@Sulfuric
You are a very talented game maker (or should that be Game Maker maker...whatever). This game is very good. I didn't even know what parkour was until I played your game (never played Mirror's Edge). ^_^

Gameplay : Frustrating but in a good way. Kept me coming back for more until I timed the jumps just right to evade that bloody helicopter/sniper. I've lost count of how many times I've died LOL. Controls were perfect, although I find that falling from a great height and rolling is better accomplished by holding down either the left or right keys, and tapping the down key like mad. Overall, I give gameplay a 10/10 :D

Audio : There's only one tune, but it's appropriate and catchy. Since this game is quite short, one tune (that you've composed yourself I might add, is just about right). Sound effects were good. There were sounds for enemy guns being fired, and the helicopter shootouts, but there were no perceivable sounds for the player when he jumps or lands. The only sound was when he crashed through windows so I rate audio an 8/10.

Graphics : Love the flat shaded look of the game with parallax backgrounds outdoors in the background. Player and enemy sprites were well animated, looked alot like the old DOS loderunner sprites which go well with the level graphics. The intro effects where those rectangles were rotating and blended with other rectangles as they scrolled from left to right were hypnotic to say the least (I like it a lot). Plus, you had in game cutscenes. 10/10.

Story : Ummmm...well [spoiler alert!!] the comment about free will and religion is all well and good and kinda makes sense and is profound and touches on the meaning of life (I guess), but one thing you never explained was how that watch proves the existence of god. And what was that image at the end, were those the pearly gates to heaven or something, what does that mean? He died and went to heaven? So confusing. I guess we're meant to fill in the blanks for the huge gaps in your storyline. I give the storyline about a 5/10...maybe a 7/10 cause a watch made by God is a damn intriguing concept, too bad you never fleshed out that idea. -_-

Game rating overall : 9/10. Not perfect but very very good. I wouldn't be surprised if you won the competition with this game. I'm going to try out your other games at your website. Oh yeah, and the level design was very good as well. You know you could just reuse your sprites and make a loderunner type game in the future. Just a suggestion.

#18 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:14 AM

From what I remember, the game didn't show that the watch is God's. But it did talk about a bunch of mystical things happening from it (including it being unbreakable), which could mean it is God's. Read the log.

#19 _164760

_164760

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

it is an awesome game with an awesome story line! i do think that you should make an expansion pack or relaese the source code

#20 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:47 AM

Do to the confusion with the ending, I will elaborate. SPOILERS!

Spoiler

Also, thank you very much for the replies! I would like to say I made the top 40. Here's to hoping!

Edited by Sulfuric, 24 September 2010 - 02:48 AM.

Posted Image

#21 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:50 AM

Oh I see.
It really doesn't matter that much though about the pushing religion on anyone.
Legend of Zelda has goddesses in it, do you think that was pushing a religion on people?
(rhetorical question)

#22 Stav122121

Stav122121

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:38 AM

This game is really really good, I started playing and just couldent stop for like an hour and a half until I finished it!

I really liked the story although I kinda expected the ending (which I think you could have done a bit better, like with more explaining)
you have a really good concept and I really enjoyed this game! 9.5/10 =]]]]]

btw: the part with the sniper and the helicopter is so awesome! ^^

#23 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

Actually if everyone will notice, the it's the missile launcher guy and the helocopter.

#24 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

I like the visual style of the thing, and it is really quite well polished. The visual effects are very powerful too. I did notice a few bugs - for example, try running towards the helicopter once you first see it - it will move back into the building and fire at its inner walls. I also got stuck at a point where a jump ended in dropping dead on the edge of a ledge, and the game just stuck there - I think it didn't get out of the loop that made the screen blue.

As for gameplay... I found it to be a little sluggish. Maybe we're used too much to drifting in games these days, but I didn't feel to be in complete control, especially when airborne. And in spite of the character's decent arrange of parkour moves, I wish there was a little more interactivity to it - it's mostly just running away while being chased. I've only played up until the 2nd level so perhaps there is more good to come, but I think the environment could have been used to set up ways to block, mislead or eliminate enemies. The helicopters and snipers were just tricks in the same league to keep the player running.

I haven't finished it yet, so I can only comment on the storyline met so far (2 levels) - and it's rather silly. Whether God's Watch will turn out to be God's Watch or not, if the game makes the claim that it is billions of years old, it's not going to have a modern English word scratched into its surface. I'm also not very fond of the usual 'ebil-scientist' meme that seems to be so mainstream in storytelling these days, and I think I can already guess towards what conclusion this game will move itself. And although you explicitly state you had no particular religion in focus with this game, the game suggests the opposite - I just can't help but link words like 'amen', 'church', 'Genesis' and 'God' (with capital G) to the Judeo-Christian belief systems.

One other nitpick: the scientist log you pick up in the game mentions that the Watch is 'billions of years' old according to carbon dating. First off carbon dating can't be used for objects older than approximately 60,000 years, second is that it can only be used on carbonaceous materials (hence its name) - a property you usually cannot accuse a watch of, especially if it is 'made of light'. I know, no story needs to actually pay attention to what the real world has to say, but interestingly enough it's such details that add to a game's believeability.

#25 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

With all the running I totally forgot I was running to a tv station. So the conversation in the end seemed dislocated from the plot. And I dont remember anything on the scene showing they were mid live-broadcast. Just needs to tweak with the ending scripts a little.

Like add a character (new anchor) say "We are still live right?" with an answer in the back, "Yes, still broadcasting"

#26 MasterMind007

MasterMind007

MasterMind Prod.

• GMC Member
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

I need the code for level 2

Spoiler

Projects:
The Dragon's Reign - A MMORPG - DELAYED
Posted Image

#27 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

Spoiler

#28 MasterMind007

MasterMind007

MasterMind Prod.

• GMC Member
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

Spoiler

Edited by MasterMind007, 25 September 2010 - 03:10 PM.

Projects:
The Dragon's Reign - A MMORPG - DELAYED
Posted Image

#29 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:11 PM

This game has cool passwords btw.

#30 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:49 AM

I like the visual style of the thing, and it is really quite well polished. The visual effects are very powerful too. I did notice a few bugs - for example, try running towards the helicopter once you first see it - it will move back into the building and fire at its inner walls. I also got stuck at a point where a jump ended in dropping dead on the edge of a ledge, and the game just stuck there - I think it didn't get out of the loop that made the screen blue.

As for gameplay... I found it to be a little sluggish. Maybe we're used too much to drifting in games these days, but I didn't feel to be in complete control, especially when airborne. And in spite of the character's decent arrange of parkour moves, I wish there was a little more interactivity to it - it's mostly just running away while being chased. I've only played up until the 2nd level so perhaps there is more good to come, but I think the environment could have been used to set up ways to block, mislead or eliminate enemies. The helicopters and snipers were just tricks in the same league to keep the player running.

I haven't finished it yet, so I can only comment on the storyline met so far (2 levels) - and it's rather silly. Whether God's Watch will turn out to be God's Watch or not, if the game makes the claim that it is billions of years old, it's not going to have a modern English word scratched into its surface. I'm also not very fond of the usual 'ebil-scientist' meme that seems to be so mainstream in storytelling these days, and I think I can already guess towards what conclusion this game will move itself. And although you explicitly state you had no particular religion in focus with this game, the game suggests the opposite - I just can't help but link words like 'amen', 'church', 'Genesis' and 'God' (with capital G) to the Judeo-Christian belief systems.

One other nitpick: the scientist log you pick up in the game mentions that the Watch is 'billions of years' old according to carbon dating. First off carbon dating can't be used for objects older than approximately 60,000 years, second is that it can only be used on carbonaceous materials (hence its name) - a property you usually cannot accuse a watch of, especially if it is 'made of light'. I know, no story needs to actually pay attention to what the real world has to say, but interestingly enough it's such details that add to a game's believeability.

Thanks for the in depth post. The watch isn't made out light, by the way; it runs on it. Also, carbon dating is the most commonly known. I'm not trying to give a science lesson here, just something most people will understand. Believe ability is great and all, but the scientist explaining the method they used to date the thing wouldn't make sense in a document where everyone in the project would already know. Also, there are no evil scientists. The people chasing you really don't have a specific profession. It's up to you to decide. I'm going to guess they're not scientists. The only one I know of that can shoot a gun is Gordan Freeman, and he has a goatee, while my guys are just red.

I never said I have no particular religion in focus. I'm trying to say that you shouldn't think because I used these elements that I think it is the "right" one. I just used Judeo-Christian beliefs as they are the most common (specifically monotheism, which Islam would also be classified under. Believe it or not, but the church was going to be a mosque, but I don't know their interior and barely their exterior, so I went with what I knew). I was not aware Amen was English either... Doesn't sound very English. Keep in mind, I pronounce it Awww (as in hawt) men. Not Ahh (as in axe) men. I hate ahh-men... Sounds really weird to me. I'm going to find my train of thought now. In fact, maybe someone else scratched that into it before they found it. You simply don't know. I know I don't.

Also, directed at other people, I would have LOVED to make the ending better, but I was really running out of time (one day left!) I was going to make the camera man angle the camera toward the floating watch and have more text when they came in, but the latter conflicted with my "not much talking" story telling (contradictory, right?) I wanted it to be more image based, which the camera moving would have conveyed... Curse you starting a month before due date!

Posted Image

#31 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

There actually was evil scientists at one point in history.
Before they had ethics in "That sort of thing," Scientists
expirimented on babies and stuff.
That's why so many movies started getting made about evils scientists.

#32 snowyowl

snowyowl

GMC Member

• 615 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:32 PM

Thanks for the in depth post. The watch isn't made out light, by the way; it runs on it. Also, carbon dating is the most commonly known. I'm not trying to give a science lesson here, just something most people will understand. Believe ability is great and all, but the scientist explaining the method they used to date the thing wouldn't make sense in a document where everyone in the project would already know. Also, there are no evil scientists. The people chasing you really don't have a specific profession. It's up to you to decide. I'm going to guess they're not scientists. The only one I know of that can shoot a gun is Gordan Freeman, and he has a goatee, while my guys are just red.

I never said I have no particular religion in focus. I'm trying to say that you shouldn't think because I used these elements that I think it is the "right" one. I just used Judeo-Christian beliefs as they are the most common (specifically monotheism, which Islam would also be classified under. Believe it or not, but the church was going to be a mosque, but I don't know their interior and barely their exterior, so I went with what I knew). I was not aware Amen was English either... Doesn't sound very English. Keep in mind, I pronounce it Awww (as in hawt) men. Not Ahh (as in axe) men. I hate ahh-men... Sounds really weird to me. I'm going to find my train of thought now. In fact, maybe someone else scratched that into it before they found it. You simply don't know. I know I don't.

Also, directed at other people, I would have LOVED to make the ending better, but I was really running out of time (one day left!) I was going to make the camera man angle the camera toward the floating watch and have more text when they came in, but the latter conflicted with my "not much talking" story telling (contradictory, right?) I wanted it to be more image based, which the camera moving would have conveyed... Curse you starting a month before due date!

Call it "radiometric dating" instead of "carbon dating". I don't know the specific kind of radiometric dating you would use in this case (actually, with manufactured objects like watches it's unlikely it would work anyway), but that way it's less blatantly wrong. (Metal watches don't even have any carbon in them.)
Amen is technically Latin, but that doesn't affect the point that the Watch had a word written on it billions of years before the language of that word was invented. And the languages used to write the Bible are Hebrew and Greek anyway.
The belief set endorsed by this game is definitely a Judeo-Christian religion. I don't mind, personally.
The Watch having zero mass was what broke my willing suspension of disbelief. For one thing, such an object would probably disintegrate or disappear the moment you touched it, as the slight momentum you imparted to it divided by a mass of zero gave the watch infinite velocity (or maybe only accelerated it to the speed of light). For another thing, zero mass would make it lighter than air, so it would float upwards very fast when put in Earth's atmosphere. Finally, at one point you drop it and it falls down. That clinches it for me.

The Watch is basically a MacGuffin: It gives your quest a purpose and is the object the entire plot revolves around, but it doesn't actually do anything. You could replace it with a diamond, a briefcase of money, the Holy Grail, a letter proving your innocence, a will, a CD, a vial of antimatter, the Death Star blueprints, an indestructible egg, a portal to another world, the key component of some machine or other, a music box, a statue, or a box of chocolates. All you'd have to do would be change a bit of dialogue and the cinematics; the plot itself would be basically unchanged.
That's not that I don't like the idea of a piece of evidence proving God's existence, I just think you should have designed it differently. Having no visible power source and being indestructible is cool though. Leave that in.
Posted Image
Fight time travellers. Kill them three times each.

#33 snowyowl

snowyowl

GMC Member

• 615 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

Double post, sorry.

Edited by snowyowl, 12 October 2010 - 10:01 PM.

Posted Image
Fight time travellers. Kill them three times each.

#34 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:35 AM

Well in some books and movies, it's a magic sword and if you changed it
it would definitely change the plot line, but whatever.(Whatever not in a rude way.)
Edit:I wish I could show my tone of voice in words.

Edited by yalmic, 04 October 2010 - 12:36 AM.

#35 Ethan718

Ethan718

Go Cubs Go

• 212 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

I didn't play enough of it to actually be able to comment on the story itself, but I just have a few things to say about how the story was told.

I loved how it was told, because the player learns things about the enviornment/world without cutscenes (although there are cutscenes) and the place where you got the watch was just amazing. I honestly am turned off by action movies and complicated plots and really only care about characters. So I can't really comment on any of the whole "God's watch" stuff because that just really doesn't appeal to me in the first place.

But great job!

#36 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:14 PM

Call it "radiometric dating" instead of "carbon dating". I don't know the specific kind of radiometric dating you would use in this case (actually, with manufactured objects like watches it's unlikely it would work anyway), but that way it's less wrong while being no more confusing. (Metal watches don't even have any carbon in them.)
Amen is technically Latin, but that doesn't affect the point that the Watch had a word written on it billions of years before the language of that word was invented. And the languages used to write the Bible are Hebrew and Greek anyway.
The belief set represented in this game is definitely a Judeo-Christian religion. I don't mind, though.
The Watch having zero mass was what broke my willing suspension of disbelief. For one thing, such an object would probably disintegrate or disappear the moment you touched it, as the slight momentum you imparted to it divided by a mass of zero would give the watch infinite velocity (or maybe only accelerate it to the speed of light). For another thing, zero mass would make it lighter than air, so it would float upwards very fast when put in Earth's atmosphere. Finally, at one point you drop it and it falls down. That clinches it for me.

The Watch is basically a MacGuffin: It gives your quest a purpose and is the object the entire plot revolves around, but it doesn't actually do anything. You could replace it with a diamond, a briefcase of money, the Holy Grail, a letter proving your innocence, a will, a CD, a vial of antimatter, the Death Star blueprints, an indestructible egg, a portal to another world, the key component of some machine or other, a music box, a statue, or a box of chocolates. All you'd have to do would be change a bit of dialogue and the cinematics; the game itself would be basically unchanged.
That's not that I don't like the idea of a piece of evidence proving God's existence, I just think you should have designed it differently. Having no visible power source and being indestructible is cool though. I like that. Also, the foreshadowing in "we're getting close to a major event" is genius.

And one thing I want to say to the red guy in the ending cinematic:
Spoiler
Still, he's allowed to irritate me and be wrong; he's the bad guy.

Did I mention I love this game? No? Well I did now.

Heh, you got me on the weightlessness thing. I know that that would be the case; I just wanted to give the watch more super natural properties (as in, ones that could not possibly happen anyway). Technically, no it wouldn't fall. Technically it wouldn't be solid at all. Masslessness isn't really possible (at least not for an object that big).

As for your spoiler:

Spoiler

Glad you liked it though. Indeed, the watch could be replaced with anything, but I wanted dates being present in it, so I went with a watch. And... it does do something at the end. Many things could do what it does, but the time aspect plays a role.

Also, I didn't make it to round 3... Oh well.

Edited by Sulfuric, 08 October 2010 - 06:13 AM.

Posted Image

#37 Ryan-Phoenixan

Ryan-Phoenixan

GMC Member

• 211 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:31 AM

My main complaint with this game is that it uses only the directional keys to move around. Moving at least one of those controls to a key (like Z maybe) would have made this game far more playable. I can't get past the sniper section simply because this set up makes changing direction and then jumping on the fly near impossible.

Just overall, up as jump is the worst thing to do in a GM game. My number one complaint for most platformers made with GM (at least when precision movement and quick reflexes are involved).

Edited by Ryan-Phoenixan, 08 October 2010 - 04:32 AM.

#38 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:06 AM

My main complaint with this game is that it uses only the directional keys to move around. Moving at least one of those controls to a key (like Z maybe) would have made this game far more playable. I can't get past the sniper section simply because this set up makes changing direction and then jumping on the fly near impossible.

Just overall, up as jump is the worst thing to do in a GM game. My number one complaint for most platformers made with GM (at least when precision movement and quick reflexes are involved).

Hmmm... I have no problem with it, but I could easily add z as jump, too. I don't really see where the problem arises for you, but it wouldn't be a difficult thing to add.

Also... Uh, make sure you middle finger is on the up key, index on the left, and ring on the right. I'm not sure how changing direction and then jumping is a problem knowing that (I'm still pretty confused). Also, don't be afraid to hold the keys you want to use while in the air before you land on the edge to dismount or climb up.

Posted Image

#39 Ryan-Phoenixan

Ryan-Phoenixan

GMC Member

• 211 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

Well, it's more-so the fact that some keyboards I use can't have 3 of those keys pressed at the same time, so if I, for example, want to quickly leap left after leaping right, and I don't let my finger off the right key in time, the whole thing bugs out and doesn't respond until I let go of all three keys and then press one or two again.

*edit*

I got passed the sniping section, but crouching definitely seems iffy due to this same problem. Sometimes, I'll hold down S and then I'll roll... sometimes I won't, and a guy will come right out a door next to me and tackle me. Is there a timer for holding it too soon?

*edit #2*

Well, I reached the end, and complaints aside, that gives you a plus. I'd still recommend just making jump Z or Up, since I think that'd actually correct the crouching/rolling problem as well.

Edited by Ryan-Phoenixan, 08 October 2010 - 07:52 AM.

#40 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:58 AM

Well, it's more-so the fact that some keyboards I use can't have 3 of those keys pressed at the same time, so if I, for example, want to quickly leap left after leaping right, and I don't let my finger off the right key in time, the whole thing bugs out and doesn't respond until I let go of all three keys and then press one or two again.

*edit*

I got passed the sniping section, but crouching definitely seems iffy due to this same problem. Sometimes, I'll hold down S and then I'll roll... sometimes I won't, and a guy will come right out a door next to me and tackle me. Is there a timer for holding it too soon?

*edit #2*

Well, I reached the end, and complaints aside, that gives you a plus. I'd still recommend just making jump Z or Up, since I think that'd actually correct the crouching/rolling problem as well.

You have to hit down right before you hit the ground (like in Mirror's Edge).

I gotcha with the multiple keys problem. I'll be sure to add z for jump in the next update. Hitting three arrow keys at once shouldn't happen too often (it never is necessary), but adding an extra jump button isn't a problem.

Posted Image

#41 victor_bh

victor_bh

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

Hi, your game is really good!
I found a bug in the second phase, when we run from enemies and falls into a room where there is no way out. You can see in this picture:
http://img137.images.../2396/buglv.png

#42 link3000

link3000

Link3000

• GMC Member
  • 1130 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

Hi, your game is really good!
I found a bug in the second phase, when we run from enemies and falls into a room where there is no way out. You can see in this picture:
http://img137.images.../2396/buglv.png

I tried to do that, but couldn't. How did you?

EDIT: To talk about the actual game:
First GM I've seen with physics like this, although they sometimes felt buggy and fake, it was fairly immersive. Two complaints I had while playing it was that the story felt slapped together and too short (found that, run here, run there, avoid that, run there, done) and that the sniper scenes were pretty odd too. The sniper could shoot through solid concrete, but not anywhere in a building, even if that spot in the building was in his sight. The cool thing about the snipers in ME is that they are believable, whereas the one in this game seems more of a gimmick to make you move quickly.

Edited by link3000, 10 October 2010 - 02:52 PM.

Link3000

#43 JAk HAk

JAk HAk

sepius fidelis

• 713 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

I quite liked the game, but there were a few things that bugged me. The sniper was merely a gimmick, and not very logical. The ropes worked alright for a game, but not anything close to realistically and, the way it bent, it looked more like there was a motor on top doing the rotation than a guy below swinging it. Lastly, and most importantly, the helicopter chases came down to having run the course several times before to get to know it, since keeping the heli in view meant reducing sight of what's ahead. This also happened a number of times when climbing a pole, where the view was facing forward but the only direction you can go from a pole is backwards, so you don't get to see what's there sometimes.

A nice addition to the game would be to have a low-far jump option, so you don't lose as much speed when traversing a smaller object. Beside that, I can think of nothing. It's too bad your game was disqualified for using Enter and letters in the password.

Posted Image

#44 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:08 AM

Okay, this sniper thing is bothering me. Any sniper seen is a gimmick. Also, gimmicks aren't a bad thing. If I didn't have a laser sight or even show the sniper, people wouldn't be asking me this. It's all gameplay related. The game is 2d, so I have restrictions. Pretend he's in the foreground more. Which... is possible, considering buildings have width.

@ JAk HAk: I'm sorry about the view thing :(. It urked me to do it, but the heli scenes looked so much better, that I stuck with it. Also, I tried to make areas where you didn't know where you were jumping viewable from other positions, but later on this happens slightly less. I almost added moving the camera with the arrow keys on the poll, but ran out of time. Also, I agree with the ropes. They took forever to look actually work at all, so I just went with this. If and when I make a sequel, I'll fix up the values to make them look more natural. I like to pretend they're really stiff rope :P.

Also, victor_bh, how did you do that O_o

Edited by Sulfuric, 26 October 2010 - 04:09 AM.

Posted Image

#45 olsureshot

olsureshot

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:28 AM

Very interesting. I studied to be a minister once, and am minoring in philosophy, so I always enjoy seeing games that explore thoughtful themes...
Spoiler
BTW, the word "Amen" (translated "So be it") is Hebrew and shows up in the most ancient texts, though not in A-Z letters. It is also used in Islam in the same way Christians and Jews use it. So the idea of it being some sort of "God-word" that predates human languages is sort of fun to think about, if improbable.

Back to the game: The gameplay was first-rate, and I loved
Spoiler
!
One minor glitch:
Spoiler

All in all, an excellent game. The levels were tough, but not discouraging. Perfectly balanced difficulty and well-spaced respawn points.
I particularly liked how you balanced difficult chases with easier sections. It made me feel rewarded, as if my efforts had won me a respite.
One last item of note: awesome physics on the scarf!

Edited by olsureshot, 05 November 2010 - 07:42 AM.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

#46 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:53 AM

Very interesting. I studied to be a minister once, and am minoring in philosophy, so I always enjoy seeing games that explore thoughtful themes...

Spoiler
BTW, the word "Amen" (translated "So be it") is Hebrew and shows up in the most ancient texts, though not in A-Z letters. It is also used in Islam in the same way Christians and Jews use it. So the idea of it being some sort of "God-word" that predates human languages is sort of fun to think about, if improbable.

Back to the game: The gameplay was first-rate, and I loved
Spoiler
!
One minor glitch:
Spoiler

All in all, an excellent game. The levels were tough, but not discouraging. Perfectly balanced difficulty and well-spaced respawn points.
I particularly liked how you balanced difficult chases with easier sections. It made me feel rewarded, as if my efforts had won me a respite.
One last item of note: awesome physics on the scarf!

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad you enjoyed the game. I agree with what you said about freewill. I think it would be less about facts and more about peoples reaction towards the news. Evidence of freewill or not, people would really think differently. Sadly, I didn't have time to really expand on the concept.

Thanks for the information on Amen as well. It's translation actually fits really well with what the watch is used for. Obviously, language didn't exist before life even did, so it being there is open to interpretation. Personally, I wanted it to give a sort of subtle history to the watch; for instance, someone had found it years before.

Ah yes, that glitch. I new about it, but didn't have time to fix it. I will be fixing all of these glitches and bugs! Sadly, I've kind of been preoccupied programming dynamic water for a new game :P

Posted Image

#47 F1ak3r

F1ak3r

GMC Member

• 149 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

Sorry for the bump (I guess), but I saw this game on that Game Maker Blog video and had to download it. Then I had to play it. Then I had to tell the guy who made it all about what I thought of his game.

So... this game is stylish - really, really stylish. And the entire experience is built around that. If you fall and get stunned, you don't have some healthbar decrease or whatever, you just destroy your flow, and that's terrible. It makes you want to jump to your doom and try again just so that you can preserve the game's style. The same applies for missing a ledge and having to backtrack and take another runup - the game doesn't punish you for it - you punish yourself.

This prepares you for the chase scenes after you find the watch, where you need to roll and keep moving in order to stay alive. In a lesser game, the constant death these scenes invoke would be frustrating to the point of putting the player off, but because moving around is so much fun, and because you know how stylish it'll look if you do it right, you just keep on trying, fall after capture after fall.

The absence of most sound effects makes the experience feel a little off - but not to worry, I found myself making whoosh sounds as I jumped and screaming as I fell to my death, because of how immersive the game is, even without sound.

The music is really cool - I wish there were more of it and it played more often - maybe some softer, ambient music for the more ponderous sections of the game?

At least on person above complained about how you have to memorise the level layouts in the helicopter sequences in order to get through. Personally, I think that this frustration actually serves the game's attempt to simulate parkour/free-running. From what little I know of both, I think having good perception is vital - mapping out an environment in your head and know what to do and where to do it (jump here, then roll, then jump, then swing, then grab the pole, then change direction, etc...) through trial-and-error seems like the sort of thing a free-runner would do (he/she has the advantage of 3 dimensions to work with, and can see a lot further into the distance than our 2D scarf-clad friend, though).

Seeing as the Comp is over (and you were disqualified anyway, too bad about that (I thought the control limits where pretty arbitrary and not representative of mobile control schemes, for what it's worth)), could you maybe find it in your heart to release a version of the game with customizable controls? My right hand is really sore from playing the game, and I'd like to see if other control schemes would work.

So basically I want to say that this is a really cool game. Nice work.

On an unrelated note, someone should record a speedrun of this game. It would be SO awesome.

#48 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:00 AM

Sorry for the bump (I guess), but I saw this game on that Game Maker Blog video and had to download it. Then I had to play it. Then I had to tell the guy who made it all about what I thought of his game.

So... this game is stylish - really, really stylish. And the entire experience is built around that. If you fall and get stunned, you don't have some healthbar decrease or whatever, you just destroy your flow, and that's terrible. It makes you want to jump to your doom and try again just so that you can preserve the game's style. The same applies for missing a ledge and having to backtrack and take another runup - the game doesn't punish you for it - you punish yourself.

This prepares you for the chase scenes after you find the watch, where you need to roll and keep moving in order to stay alive. In a lesser game, the constant death these scenes invoke would be frustrating to the point of putting the player off, but because moving around is so much fun, and because you know how stylish it'll look if you do it right, you just keep on trying, fall after capture after fall.

The absence of most sound effects makes the experience feel a little off - but not to worry, I found myself making whoosh sounds as I jumped and screaming as I fell to my death, because of how immersive the game is, even without sound.

The music is really cool - I wish there were more of it and it played more often - maybe some softer, ambient music for the more ponderous sections of the game?

At least on person above complained about how you have to memorise the level layouts in the helicopter sequences in order to get through. Personally, I think that this frustration actually serves the game's attempt to simulate parkour/free-running. From what little I know of both, I think having good perception is vital - mapping out an environment in your head and know what to do and where to do it (jump here, then roll, then jump, then swing, then grab the pole, then change direction, etc...) through trial-and-error seems like the sort of thing a free-runner would do (he/she has the advantage of 3 dimensions to work with, and can see a lot further into the distance than our 2D scarf-clad friend, though).

Seeing as the Comp is over (and you were disqualified anyway, too bad about that (I thought the control limits where pretty arbitrary and not representative of mobile control schemes, for what it's worth)), could you maybe find it in your heart to release a version of the game with customizable controls? My right hand is really sore from playing the game, and I'd like to see if other control schemes would work.

So basically I want to say that this is a really cool game. Nice work.

On an unrelated note, someone should record a speedrun of this game. It would be SO awesome.

Hmm... I understand where your coming from when purposefully repeating segments to be perfect (or wishing you could replay segments). I've done that in games before. Oh, and no need to apologies for the bump. I'm actually quite thankful for it ;).

I REALLY wish I could have added more sound effects. I would have but a) I lack them and b) I was running out of space for the competition. I still plan on fixing a few bugs and adding custom controls. I know a few people want gamepad controls, which is still a possibility. The thing is, I don't have a gamepad to test if it works :(

Oh, and I've actually almost done speed runs a few times. There are a few segments I'm just dieing to make videos of, just to show how big of a shortcut you can make or how fast you can clear certain areas with timed jumping. I wish I wasn't so lazy. If someone else does one it'll probably force me to do one. If not, I'll end up doing one eventually anyway... probably.

Oh, anybody have any ideas on how I could implement a dynamic water engine into the sequel? I've almost completed one, but it would be nice to use it with a combination of other engines (instead of just making a puzzle game or something). We'll see.

Posted Image

#49 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:15 AM

Um...
Do you mean like swimming?
Sewers are pretty cool.
A flood would be a neat story element to keep things moving.

#50 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:01 AM

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER IN POST LATER ON

Ugh! That last helicopter level...ugh!

I had trouble with the rolling. I finally got that you had to press forward and down, and then I got that you had to re-press them during the jump if you were already holding them. I wish it had just been holding them instead (forgive me if I am wrong, I had troubles...)

But GOOD GAME. The story (or lack thereof...the unexplained premise) kept me going until the end...the VERY end, me being who I am. Not a "new" concept (dates being transcribed and yadda yadda) but it was REALLY interesting.

Wish I knew why I WAS this odd roof-hopping badass...the people in the mall were rather uninterested...is it a 2024 thing? Haven't played Mirror's Edge...

Finally...I just personally didn't understand the answer at the end... SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER people believing in God doesn't hinder free will in many religions. In fact, many highlight it...confused me a bit. Maybe explanation in a sequel?

I really liked the controls when I got going with them, I couldn't play with sound but wish I had, and I thought it was a really good game.

The anticipation of the ending was great...I truly thought the whole idea was very good, and the gameplay was well-executed (especially the frequent saves up until the very last level, where they rightfully got skimpier).
Surprised you only got as far as you did in the comp (didn't play Blackout so...). One of the best games I've played on the GMC...definitely in the top 5.

Excellent job: 4.3/5
The points I took off were for clunky controls and the "bad" resolution (the allowing for anticipation was awesome though)

The sniper...gimmick? I thought it was a nice (difficult) bit of variety to overcome.
I need 16 by 16 sprites, 'cause I'm working on a game...

Fake Link