6 replies to this topic

#1 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

Hi All,

I don't know if it is acceptable to post GM4Mac ports of existing Windows games, so if I have sinned report this to a mod and get it deleted. I figured I would rework my Competition 06 entry into a Mac version, and here it is. It seems to work pretty well, with a couple of audio issues and a little bit of tearing on my MacBook. There is already an [empty] GMC topic for the Windows version here, so I will understand if this is closed or deleted because of duplication.

HUBRIS

SPOILER: The video is a full playthrough posted by Ortoslon at TiGSource. If you plan to play I would probably not watch it all the way through.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIW_yTLYJLM

A very different kind of platformer
Made in GM8, moved to LGM, opened in GM7, remade in GM4Mac -- much less painful than I was anticipating
480x272, doesn’t resize (F4 for fullscreen)
3.7 Mb in Windows compresses as a Zipped Mac app to 10.5 Mb -- Sorry
Known issues -- I will try and go back and tidy the font, and the sounds don't seem to be behaving. I wanted to release this by Competition 06 deadline day, though, so please forgive a couple of future updates if I can work out how to get sound to work properly.

Banished to Limbo by the gods for the crime of hubris, our platforming hero must negotiate 30+ levels that twist the mind and senses in his quest to discover how to return to a world of sense and order.

Hubris is an experimental puzzle/platformer that exploits a little bit of code to produce a truly unique experience. If you aren’t moving there is no level – it only comes into focus as you move.

Features

30+ Levels

Anti-Frustration Device

Skip any level you want to while still saving progress (press X when dead)

The Usual

Patrolling Bad Guys
Falling Blocks
Spikes
Mushrooms

The Unusual: Devices to twist your mind

Angled Levels
Swinging Levels
Flak
Bombs
Lava bombs
Rubber Stamps
Footprints
Coins that fade in or out depending on your movement
Cupcakes
Tightropes
White-out blocks
Micro-vision
Multi-vision
Swinging-micro-multi-vision

Oh, and the levels are invisible unless you move.

When you do move you produce a crisp visual experience something like a 3D magic picture (although resolutely 2D) this simply cannot be conveyed in screenshots. Nevertheless:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BoxNet Link for Mac version (Zip)

YoYo Link for Windows version

I really would appreciate some feedback. I am aware of Lost in Static (which does something a little similar), but couldn’t find another game that played with this central idea. I am hoping the GM hive-mind might point me to other examples. All comments (including if any of you simply can’t see what is going on here) appreciated.

Best,

Barry

Edited by barrya3, 30 September 2010 - 06:37 AM.

#2 connor4312

connor4312

www.connorpeet.com

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

Wow. My eyes are dead.

Well made game tho :)

#3 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

Wow. My eyes are dead.

Well made game tho :)

I am going to cheat a little and use my thank you to connor431, and my apology for making his eyes bleed, to make some observations that might be of use to people who stumble upon this while wondering if there is any point to making GM4Mac versions of games.

And I am aware of the closed community topics, so I don't want to pop up there looking like I am a) advertising b) trying to prompt a flame war

Sooo... I made a GM game and ported it to Mac.

The Windows version died on its rear end on the GMC (but got a nice reception on 64D, go figure). No response at the GMC. Never mind. Weirdly enough. I think it was 'saved by Macness'.

It got shown (alongside some real quality) at the START show in Toronto. Honest. Look on the Tuesday. I am proud. But I have seen photos from there and they are playing on a Mac. I work in an Art School, and trust me, they are Mac based, so it doesn't come as a surprise.

I got a write up from rinkuhero, for which I am eternally grateful, on TigSource which linked both the Mac version and the Windows version. From what I saw the little bit of traffic didn't come to YoYo, but to Game Jolt. 200 PC plays. The Mac version picked up 53 plays.

Then it got featured at Game Jolt, generating another 100-120 plays for the PC version, but what surprised me was that a fair chunk of the people that have contacted me and played the game were Mac users, and much higher than the 5-7% that I have welded in my head as the potential additional audience.

All these ponderings are potentially meaningless, and the sample size is way too low to see anything meaningful, but am I glad I shelled out for GM4Mac? Yep.

And am I disappointed I didn't even get to round two of Comp 06 with a game shown in a gallery space, featured at Game Jolt and mentioned by rinkhero? Just a touch...

Edited by barrya3, 30 September 2010 - 06:35 AM.

#4 vertex67

vertex67

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

Solid platforming, awesome menus, and really nice visual effects.

I can't say I played all the way through, but I did get to level 20, although i had to skip a couple.

The concept was pretty cool but it wasn't magical.

The game was very polished and I thought the narration in between levels was awesome.
Just when I thought I had seen everything the view started to change, that was a nice touch.
There were a few game elements that didn't make much sense to me however.
The colored puzzle pieces seemed to do nothing but hinder your vision (greatly), which was a real pain in level 20 (which is why I stopped playing).
Also It took me a while (about level 12-14) to realize that some things (such as coins) dont appear unless you stand still. I like the idea but some explanation would have been nice
One level i kept dying and I skipped because of enemies that I thought were invisible, but would have appeared if I had stood still.

Also, I ran into a glitch. When I beat level 19, the beeping sound that cycles when you die never stopped playing, even when I entered a new level. It was just an infinite cycle of beeps, so I had to restart the game.
It was probably a problem with GM4mac, and not your programming. (I cant tell you how many strange, inexplicable glitches I ran into when making Trippy Tiles for mac).

But overall it was a nice port, and probably the best GM game for mac so far.

Edited by vertex67, 15 October 2010 - 01:06 PM.

#5 rvalle

rvalle

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:19 AM

Great platforming game! I really liked the special effect. It didn't bother my eyes at all. Best GM4Mac game I've played so far. I hope you'll be making more mac games in the future.

#6 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:27 AM

The concept is brilliant. But it is a bit of eye poison hahahaha.

#7 vonStauffenberg

vonStauffenberg

GMC Member

• 25 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

WOW, never see this concept of game!Posted Image, but my eyes are full of tearsPosted Image,anyway great game Posted Image

Edited by vonStauffenberg, 23 January 2012 - 08:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users