31 replies to this topic

#1 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

GMINDIE AND GMVISION HAVE TEAMED UP TO PRODUCE a Game Maker survey which will produce a list of what Game Maker users do on average, as well as help with the development of the popular software, Game Maker, by YoYo Games, Ltd.

http://www.upurload.com/files/c4dedd387ca3961c82d2f73aca916bec.mp3

The survey is exactly 60 questions in length, and features questions like What was the first version of Game Maker you ever used?, What new feature(s) do you think Game Maker needs?, Do you think the mac port is good, or a waste of money?, etc.

Contributors: (Name / Amount of question contributed)
Brian Fetcher (44), Micah Stairs (5), The Hidden App (4), Cole Marlar (3), Joshua Pedroza (2), Mike Scott (2)

Click here to take the survey!
Help GMIndie, GMVision & YoYo Games by taking and sharing this survey.

Article written by GAME MAKER GAZETTE
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

Edited by bretboy129, 29 August 2010 - 03:34 PM.

#2 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

I took it, interesting. Some answers could use work, because the Other didn't work for me.

#3 2Dcube

2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

Done!

This made me laugh:

* 42. Do you use debug mode?
Yes
No, but I accidently use it sometimes

gmc_banner_tntbfu.png

#4 robert680

robert680

Firefox User

• 968 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

Some of the questions assumed you use GM8, and I use 7...

All of my Games! - Windows Vista GM7.0 Pro

All of my latest videos

I wouldn't recommend clicking the below spoiler...
...Unless you want your LIFE to change FOREVER.

Spoiler

#5 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

Did all 60 questions, and I think you'll laugh at some awnsers :P

#6 newkill

newkill

Silver Sword Games

• GMC Member
  • 1248 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

Yeah I asnwered all questions too ;)

#7 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4147 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

wow many questions I can't fill in:

* 22. What kind of music do you like to use for Game Maker games?

never used music

* 23. Level designing - Which do you prefer building?

what fits best in the game

and all those things "do you use" - well I do, if it is the fastest & most clear way to solve a problem. (How can anyone say he doesn't use them..)

* 56. NEW feature: Do you use the 'Splash' actions?

- missing: "no, since my game didn't fit for such & programmatic I could incorporate messages better into my game"

also: other doesn't work - you still have to click an option.

#8 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

Done

#9 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

This made me laugh:

* 42. Do you use debug mode?
Yes
No, but I accidently use it sometimes

Well, I know I miss the button. :D

#10 Tepi

Tepi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4248 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Ok the survey had two kinds of questions:
  • What's your favourite color? (Who needs this information?)
  • Aren't all the useless features that are in Game Maker all useless? And aren't stupid Yoyogames doing everything wrong? (Answer options: "a) Yes, b) Yes, but not often".)

#11 RTII

RTII

RT

• 402 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

Aren't all the useless features that are in Game Maker all useless? And aren't stupid Yoyogames doing everything wrong? (Answer options: "a) Yes, b) Yes, but not often".)

Yes, the useless features are useless, but I find the useful features quite useful. And I love YoYo Games.

Did the survey.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
My Games | RT-dev | RTII forum | Fight My Brute | Grayscale Corporation Forum
Please read and follow the closed, or your account may be Signature Rules.

#12 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

I enjoyed question 42 as well. I can remember all of the countless times I went for the green Run button and accidentally pressed the red. :P

Anyways, I thought I 'd be able to see the results of others after taking the survey.

#13 luenardi

luenardi

GMC Member

• 323 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:01 PM

i tried filling it out.. but it wont let me continue..
if you fill the other option it tell me to still pick a question..

Edited by luenardi, 29 August 2010 - 11:03 PM.

Posted Image

My system: CoreI5 661, 6GB Ram, 2X GF280GTX 2GB, Boot Drive 6GBPS SDD, 2x 500GB storage.
Boot time on Win7 Ultimate 5.02 seconds.

#14 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:27 AM

I took it!

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#15 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:32 AM

Dear Game Maker Community

I think that a lot of Game Maker users have forgetten that there are both beginners AND experienced users. The survey is pointed towards questions that BOTH the beginners and advanced users can answer.

I think it would be rude to make any questions unanswerable or cause confusion because both groups cannot answer it.

There were many questions I wanted to put in the survey. But at the same time, I didn't want to make Game Maker users take 25 minutes just to fill out a survey. So we covered the basics in addition to the features for Mike Dailly (because he wanted to collect a list). Plus, one of the other questions was for Sandy Duncan.

We actually did have a nice collection of questions for the advanced group, but-- that didn't work out when we actually thought about it the way I just explained above. Maybe we'll release a separate survey for the advanced users who have lots of experience with Game Maker.

None of the questions in the survey are useless, since we have a reason for them, and need them for one reason or another. Almost all feature related questions are there to see how many people use it. For example: If nobody uses a feature, we know which features are useless (so to speak). If it served a good purpose, it wasn't a useless question, wouldn't you agree? If not, get some help...

Hope you understand. The survey is fine if it serves its purpose.

I would like to thank all of the Game Maker users who took a few minutes out of their busy schedules to fill out the survey. This will help both us and YoYo Games. Don't forget to get your friends to take the survey too!

Peace

-- Brian
Founder & CEO of GMIndie

----------------

@Tepi lol not quite. We weren't asking anyone questions that won't have useful results.

@RobinT Well, if enough people use the features, they aren't useless. That's where the survey comes in handy--to find out how many people use the features.

@True Valhalla One person's trash is anothers treasure. It wasn't so pointless after all--now we know how many Game Maker users do what...

@paul23 It might be your browser. As far as I know, it works with Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

@iluvfuz You will get to see the results in a week. It'll be posted on the Gazette, and this topic.

@luenardi Yeah, it's a stupid PHP problem. If you choose "other", we can only see what you put in other in the results. Don't worry about that.

Edited by bretboy129, 30 August 2010 - 04:03 AM.

#16 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:19 AM

I took the survey.. Some of the questions were lame, but hopefully this actually helps GM a bit..

Edited by Revel, 30 August 2010 - 04:50 AM.

#17 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:00 AM

I'm not saying it was pointless in general, I'm saying some of the questions were(seemingly). However, if you believe there is a use to the data for those questions then at least someone will find it useful.

On a side note, perhaps you could ask Mike/Sandy to do a glog post on the survey, so they can get some feedback from the YYG community too.

-Tv

We actually already asked them! We are just currently waiting for a reply. Thanks for the suggestion though!

#18 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:23 AM

The quiz has some design flaws and its usefulness is suspect. For example you must choose a single GM version. I use GM8 and GM4Mac. You are forced to answer every question, though some don't apply. Having a N/A, for some questions is important. Some questions are subjective and won't have concise meaning to every one. For example, "How often do you save your project?", the choices are meaningless.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#19 superjoebob

superjoebob

YM2612

• 1515 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

Rabble rabble rabble...

-- Brian
Founder & CEO of GMIndie

Get an account man <_<.

Took the survey, I gotta agree with NPT, it has a lot of problems. For one, most of the questions that could use an "other" option didn't have one, and a lot of questions gave the other option even though they left you with seemingly no other answer. There where also a lot of "Do you use a hammer for pounding, or pulling nails" questions that really can't be answered one way or another. Also, If someone could enlighten me on what exactly an "8-Bit Midi" is, that would be great.

Interesting survey though, it was entertaining enough that I can see dozens of knock off surveys coming in the near future. *goes to make a survey*

Edited by superjoebob, 30 August 2010 - 07:07 AM.

Game Maker user since the beginning
Online Music Portfolio - High-Res Wallpaper
I speak before I think.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

Have answered it, though I should imagine about half my answers are inaccurate because there wasn't an option for my own response.

EDIT: Have apparently been told that the version on Friday was a pre-release. If that's the case, my response may be irrelevant.

Edited by NAL, 30 August 2010 - 03:29 PM.

Posted Image

#21 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

okay I took it, that was fun

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#22 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

If you design a questionnaire, and you have any plan on using the data collected for a viable purpose, then please avoid biasing questions and answers. For example, "Yes, I'm a proud Pro user" doesn't make sense - the question is what license you use without trying to be smug about it. See also Q49 where there is no way to state you check it often or all the time - you just presume the answers. The same goes for "No, I hate it" which is not the same as simply saying "No" or "Yes, of course I do", which suggests this answer is better than the others, or "No, but I've tried them, I prefer to just program" which suggests that Triggers have nothing to do with programming or "Yes, I am the master" which suggests superiority by using a certain feature. It's also totally not cool to insert bogus answers like "Who wants to know?"

And what the hell is a "self-instructor"? Where is "Reading the manual"? Why isn't this question (among others) multiple-choice?

Try to make realistic, balanced and honest answer codes. Just about everything is wrong, for example, in question 11 - there are ridiculously high numbers that would only be checked by very few, and each answer has a different range (30, 20, 10 or less). You'd have been better off asking people to enter the number from which you can categorize answers yourself or run averages. Another example is an answer code like "no, but I used to" which does absolutely add nothing extra to the validity of the answer, or "No, but I accidently use it sometimes" which has nothing to do with purposefully using it. Not to mention the oddly thrown in "Some of the above" which is your shoddy replacement of multiple-coding answers (which in fact exists as a feature on this online survey website so there is no excuse to not use it). You can't pull those piled answer codes apart so you have no clue how they contribute to the answer list above them, and it completely obfuscates the results.

There are also entirely silly questions like "Do you like Softwrap?". That's just begging the question - there is nothing to 'like' about a DRM unless you sell the software and it gives you a better revenue. Questions like "How many objects do you normally put in your games?" and "Level designing - Which do you prefer building?" are very much dependent on the game and cannto easily be answered. Other questions are problematic too, e.g. "Do you use any of the extra features in the image editor" - you don't even define what should be considered "extra features", or "Do you think the mac port is good, or a waste of money" which clearly is a false dilemma. It shows it has been written by someone who has a preconceived idea about the port and just want their opinion confirmed by others.

Another important thing about getting meaningful answers to a poll is to balance your sample of interviewees. Right now it's just a form on a page advertised on this forum which means it will reach only a limited number of people. It's anonymous, and therefore easily contaminated - anyone hearing that some of the questions may be read by YYG will think they are taken into account for future development, so they would have no problems filling in the survey as many times as they can, possibly automated with the help of some scripts. The demographics questions are missing entirely in the questionnaire, which means it's impossible to get to know anything about the targeted audience and towards which answers what kind of members are biased.

I couldn't bring myself to complete this survey, it's just fodder. If YYG are ever to do a survey I hope they choose better means than this.

Edited by Smarty, 30 August 2010 - 02:04 PM.

#23 Mysteria9

Mysteria9

Lord of Fishes

• GMC Member
  • 524 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Done, will you post the average results in the future? Would be very interesting!

#24 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

If YYG are ever to do a survey I hope they choose better means than this.

Judging by their current poll on the glog...I think this is better.

If you read all the answers, they seem to get worse the farther down you go. :P

#25 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

Judging by their current poll on the glog...I think this is better.

If you mean the one about the merchandise you would buy, then you are wrong. First off there is a big difference between a single-question poll and an entire survey. But still, unlike many questions in the survey, the poll question question was clear, to the point, allowed multiple answers, did not bias any of the answers (other than by the order in which they are listed) and at least uses a cookie (by the look of it) in an attempt to put a stop on re-posting answers. It also doesn't claim to be representative of anything, unlike this survey here (see first post) which heralds itself as the "Game Maker Survey 2010".

If you read all the answers, they seem to get worse the farther down you go.

For what they are worth, the votes seem to disagree with you.

#26 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

I meant how you can say you would buy YoYos and nothing.

#27 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

I meant how you can say you would buy YoYos and nothing.

Yes, that's bad. So you have found an issue with that poll. Now compare it with the numerous issues in this survey and try and decide which of the two does a better job in attaining its goal.

Edited by Smarty, 30 August 2010 - 03:16 PM.

#28 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

I have to agree with some of the critics. For instance:

49. Do you check the in-Game Maker Game Maker News window?
Yes, but not often
Yes, but rarely
No, I use the Glog Instead
No, I have never used it
Other

I check the in Game Maker News window every day. I have to hit other button to type yes. :P
I still had fun with it though.

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#29 robert680

robert680

Firefox User

• 968 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

I have to agree with some of the critics. For instance:

49. Do you check the in-Game Maker Game Maker News window?
Yes, but not often
Yes, but rarely
No, I use the Glog Instead
No, I have never used it
Other

I check the in Game Maker News window every day. I have to hit other button to type yes. :P
I still had fun with it though.

That was a problem for me. I use GM7 so of course I don't use it.

All of my Games! - Windows Vista GM7.0 Pro

All of my latest videos

I wouldn't recommend clicking the below spoiler...
...Unless you want your LIFE to change FOREVER.

Spoiler

#30 mcoot

mcoot

GMC Member

• 387 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:29 AM

I can appreciate the usefulness of having a survey like this, but the execution is very poor. In fact, since the questions don't provide a N/A answer, and sometimes leave out valid answers, a lot of the results may not be indicative of what GM users truly do.

I think that Tepi was correct about this survey.

I am grateful that they've updated and fixed (some of) the problems with the survey, but as a whole... it's got too many statistical errors for something decent to come from it.

Ultimate Healthbars - Easy healthbars in shapes from circular to sine wave

The obligatory (anti)religious signature message: Irreducible complexity is a stupid argument - what seems absurd is not a valid guide in science

#31 luenardi

luenardi

GMC Member

• 323 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:55 AM

Done, will you post the average results in the future? Would be very interesting!

Agreed!..
STATS PLEASE!

Posted Image

My system: CoreI5 661, 6GB Ram, 2X GF280GTX 2GB, Boot Drive 6GBPS SDD, 2x 500GB storage.
Boot time on Win7 Ultimate 5.02 seconds.

#32 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

Just noticed the statics were never released here on the GMC. Here's the link to a PDF full of the results: http://gamemakergaze...10-results.html

A total of 3,003 people submitted by the deadline, and a random 20-30 people have submitted information within the last year. xD