• 112 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

ADRENALINE
Creator: OpticalLiam & BrainWare
Associated with: Reflect Games
Reviewer: Zarley11
Link: HERE

When I first heard of the game, I thought of it as just another entry in a dying gaming genre: TDS. I remember following topics on the GMC on the progress of this game, and I just stood watching at the sidelines. Now, ADRENALINE is finally upon our hands since the beginning of this new decade. Does this game deserved to be placed on the shelf, just like other generic Top-Down Shooters? Or does this game deliver elements that stands out in the crowd. The answer is yes. ADRENALINE will blow your mind away...literally!

Gameplay

Posted Image

Now the downside to the game is that there is absolutely no story to the game. Basically it is a TDS-war game that puts you in the hands of a player which is either on the blue or red team, and you go from there. But don't be disappointed, all you that love a game with great story-telling, because the Gameplay makes up for the lack of story. As soon as you step into the game, all you hear is gunfire, making your 'adrenaline' pump as you press you mouse to fire your gun. There are many weapons in the game for you to pick up on the battlefield, each with their on distinct feature and their sprites look wonderful. Unfortunately, your character does not change weapon sprites when you scroll through the varies weapons that you have collected, but your HUD will indecate what weapon you have equipped. There is a pistol, MSG, rocket launcher, shotgun, and a tactical nuke, just to name a few. The game uses faux 3D, making the environment look like it's 3D, when it actully isn't. This feature is not found a in most TDS gmes, so it is welcomed here. Players move around with the W,A,S,D keys and the mouse is used to aim, shoot, scroll through your weapons and throw colorful grenades. The space button is used for your knives. The best part about the game is not only an offline-single player mode, where you can play against bots, but there is a online multiplayer mode where you can play with up to 8 people. Finding people to play the game with is a very hard task, but port-forwarding so you can host your own server takes some time to get used to.

Sound

Posted Image

Even though this game is music-free, there are some interesting sound effects put into play. Every single gun has their own sound, which makes their experience very realistic. It actually sounds like your in an all-out war from all the different gun. Not only do guns have their own sounds, but grenades have their own throwing, bouncing and exploding sound effect, knives either slashing or on impact is greeted with their own sounds, and even dying has its own effect. I would've liked to actually hear some music even when a game was starting, just to get into the feel of the game, or even a victory or lost fanfair implemented into the game. Even with all these crazy sounds flairing everything, it gives the experience a sense of urgency and realism.

Interface

Posted Image

As soon as you boot up the game, you're introduced to login screen. You are given the option to log-in as an exsisting character by typing in your username and password. Or you can hit the register button that will take you to the Reflect Games website, where you can create you Reflect Games account to play this game or other affiliated games, or you can just play as a guest. Once you are set up, you come towards the Main Menu. This is where you are given a multitude of options. You can find a server to play an online match, choose single player to play offline with computer bots, or you can host your own server, where friends around the world can play. There's other menus such as Achievement, where you can look at all the achievements you have collected, Player Stats, where you can see how many times you have killed someone, died and how many games you've one (there is also an Online Leaderboard), Player Colour, where you can customise the color of your player, and the newly added Clan Tag, where you can type in the 5 characters of your clan.

When in the game, you can see the HUDs. To the top left, there is a percentage meter that indicates how much damage you have taken, the weapon you currently are holding and how many bullets you have. To the top right, there is a minimap the displays the entire fields and tells you where you re located, where your team is located and as well as the enemy's location. The bottom left HUD is a killfeed. This little box incicates who killed who and how they did it. To the opposide direction is your personal stats for the current game you're in. It shows your name and how many kills you are away from winning the game. Also, there is a personal feed that pops up as well, telling you which weapon you have picked up, what box you've picked up and what's inside, and who killed you.

The Verdict

Posted Image

ADRENALINE is a very exciting and well polished game. The addition of an offline mode, where this game is meant to be an online multiplayer, is very willr espected, especially for those that have a slow connection. All the sound effects make up for the lack of music scores, and gameplay has taken over the story of the game. This game has set a new standard for everyone that plans to make a TDS, since this game is at the top of all shooters on the YoYoGames website. If you're looking for a bloody good time, and have an itchy trigger finger, this is a must play game. I congradulate you, OpticalLiam and Reflect Games.

Story 0/10
Gameplay 8.5/10
Sound: 7/10
Interface 9/10

Overall

8.5/10

Edited by zarley11, 28 October 2010 - 06:15 PM.

#2 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:57 AM

Well, good review to start off with. The illustrative walkthrough of starting the game was interesting and your writing style isn't too bad. A few spelling mistakes and typos were scattered in there, but that's probably to be expected.

"Does this game deserved to be placed on the shelf, just like other generic Top-Down Shooters? Or does this game deliver elements that stands out in the crowd. The answer is yes."
I love Adrenaline, I'll say that right now (although I no longer played it, I believe I stayed at rank 3 or 4 of the leaderboards for the majority of 2009) but to me, Adrenaline is just another generic multiplayer TDS. In fact, I never felt that it really brought that much new to the field. But what it DOES bring, it excels at. Its graphics are top-notch, the gameplay is fluid, the multiplayer is optimal, and the audio is atmospheric. Obviously, that's all we're looking at in terms of rating the game, until we look into the concept of it.

As a small note, you listed the creators as Liam and Reflect Games. I believe Reflect is from FredFredrickson, while Optical's collaborator is actually Brian.

Anyways, it's a nice review for a modern game. Good job :)

Edited by iluvfuz, 26 August 2010 - 03:56 AM.

#3 zarley11

zarley11

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:57 AM

@iluvfuz Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. ADRENALINE does bring something new to the genre, that is why it is not so "generic" to me. I haven't seen a lot of multiplayer TDS games on the GMC that sets the bar high for others that even consider making a TDS. And remember, I said this is no ordinary TDS, so it is not generic. Generic TDS do NOT have multiplayer, but I digress.

For mistakes, I am writing on a 6 year old laptop and some of the keys are broken/glued back together. That is my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

I listed the creators OpticalLiam and Reflect Games because:

1) I do not list the real name of people who created the game
2) This game IS a collaboration with Reflect Games because ADRENALINE shares the servers and login with Reflect
3) Even though FredFredrickson wasn't a direct creator in the game, Brian did use his program

I hope this clears up some of your input on the review. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and there is no right or wrong in an opinion. I did not reply to you to start an argument, but just to give reason to why I posted these issues in my review. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on the review!

Edited by zarley11, 26 August 2010 - 03:58 AM.

#4 Gupocca

Gupocca

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 644 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:29 AM

Although Adrenaline uses the Reflect system, it's not a direct collaboration with Fred. However, OL and Bryan (BrainWare) were working on this project together, so Bryan deserves some credit. As for the rest of the review, nice job.

The game itself is excellent. I've been following it since at least 2008, and it's amazing how it's improved over time the players were spheres, there was no CTF... etc. Great job Optical_Liam and Bryan!

#5 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1581 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

Good review.
I liked the game at first,but after playing a couple minutes,I was bored. The game has
great graphics,sound,and multiplayer,but the game itself wasn't fun enough to keep me playing long.

#6 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

@iluvfuz Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. ADRENALINE does bring something new to the genre, that is why it is not so "generic" to me. I haven't seen a lot of multiplayer TDS games on the GMC that sets the bar high for others that even consider making a TDS. And remember, I said this is no ordinary TDS, so it is not generic. Generic TDS do NOT have multiplayer, but I digress.

For mistakes, I am writing on a 6 year old laptop and some of the keys are broken/glued back together. That is my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

I listed the creators OpticalLiam and Reflect Games because:

1) I do not list the real name of people who created the game
2) This game IS a collaboration with Reflect Games because ADRENALINE shares the servers and login with Reflect
3) Even though FredFredrickson wasn't a direct creator in the game, Brian did use his program

I hope this clears up some of your input on the review. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and there is no right or wrong in an opinion. I did not reply to you to start an argument, but just to give reason to why I posted these issues in my review. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on the review!

Yep, I understand that everybody will feel differently, which is why I deliberately read over my post and went back to edit it an hour later because I felt I was speaking for more than just myself. I also wanted to add the detail of generic multiplayer TDS games in general, not just TDS games made by Game Maker, which would undoubtedly be mostly without multiplayer. I didn't post that paragraph to start an argument either, I just wanted to post that Adrenaline isn't particularly innovative except in being [one of?] the first to bringing a high-quality, multiplayer, shooter to Game Maker.

Also, I'm not particularly sure about the crediting, but at the very least, Bryan should be listed along with Fred and OL.

I believe I only heard of the game from 2009 (at which it was already well-developed) from Zeno :) I did look at some of the older screenshots and videos, though, so it's very cool with its progression.

#7 Pikmon2

Pikmon2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:37 PM

You have the best GM site ever. ever. ever. IT LOOKS OFFICIAL!

#8 zarley11

zarley11

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:09 AM

I am sorry, BrianWare, that I did not credit you in the review. Next time, I will get my fax straight. I have revamped the credits and changed the creator to OpticalLiam & BrianWare, Reflect Games is now under 'Associated with'

#9 GameRoom

GameRoom

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:15 AM

music-free

You can add your own music. I'd recommend the game music from Focus.

#10 ash47

ash47

O_o

• GMC Member
  • 1344 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

The BEST Multiplayer Online TDS To Date!

Alien Swarm is way better, sorry....

#11 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:17 AM

But Alien Swarm wasn't made in GM... Please don't relate a commercial game (yes, i know it's free), to a GM one. GM's runner isn't as good, so you can hardly expect the new CoD to appear on here.

-MoK

#12 ash47

ash47

O_o

• GMC Member
  • 1344 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

But Alien Swarm wasn't made in GM... Please don't relate a commercial game (yes, i know it's free), to a GM one. GM's runner isn't as good, so you can hardly expect the new CoD to appear on here.

-MoK

Simply don't claim it is the best TD multiplayer shooter then and I won't compare it lolz...

yes, the game is quite nice though :P

#13 zarley11

zarley11

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

-MoK

Simply don't claim it is the best TD multiplayer shooter then and I won't compare it lolz...

It is the BEST TDS multiplayer shooter CREATED BY GAME MAKER to date. Read it, accept it, apply it to your life :D

#14 Brawl

Brawl

Magnitude Games

• Local Moderators
  • 1285 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:01 AM

It is the BEST TDS multiplayer shooter CREATED BY GAME MAKER to date. Read it, accept it, apply it to your life :D

It is like the only "TDS multiplayer shooter CREATED BY GAME MAKER to date".
That I have ever heard of at least.

And this game is one of the best game on YYG. It is well polished. No errors. Has great graphics and sound. And the online works beautifully. It only has a very slight lag. About 0.1 seconds. Barely detectible.

You just have to be sure to aim ahead a bit. ;)

#15 Ethelon

Ethelon

GM Artist

• 1094 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

I just wanted to point out that it's BrainWare/Bryan, not BrianWare.

I think I agree with fuz though. While it is a great TDS game, and probably the best (if not only, as some people pointed out) Online GMTDS game, I don't see it bringing anything new and innovative. It has all the basics for a fun game, which of course makes it fun, but there isn't something to me, that sticks out as new.
I came to that conclusion when some guys on Reflect wanted to make a fangame, I posed the question, What would define it as a fangame? What unique aspect would lead someone to think, Adrenaline, graphics aside.

#16 zarley11

zarley11

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

I just wanted to point out that it's BrainWare/Bryan, not BrianWare.

I think I agree with fuz though. While it is a great TDS game, and probably the best (if not only, as some people pointed out) Online GMTDS game, I don't see it bringing anything new and innovative. It has all the basics for a fun game, which of course makes it fun, but there isn't something to me, that sticks out as new.
I came to that conclusion when some guys on Reflect wanted to make a fangame, I posed the question, What would define it as a fangame? What unique aspect would lead someone to think, Adrenaline, graphics aside.

You do bring up a valid point. There isn't anything new, and there is a lack of a campaign. I will give you that. Also, I have changed Brian and Brain, it must've been a typing error :(

#17 court12b

court12b

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

Does adrenaline have gamepad support? I've been looking for a TDS that does.

#18 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

That's not what your description says...

#19 commodore swift

commodore swift

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

Why do you rate the gameplay 8.5/10, but don't even mention gameplay in your review? You just talk about the controls (arrow keys move, herp derp). You don't even review anything, you just state random facts about the game. "As soon as you boot up the game, you're introduced to login screen." That's not a review, that's a statement of fact. MY question is why you didn't just post this in the Adrenaline topic, rather than make a Reviewer's Choice about it. 90% of the posts in the Adrenaline topic are more constructive than this "review."

As soon as you step into the game, all you hear is gunfire, making your 'adrenaline' pump as you press you mouse to fire your gun.

So it's the same as every other FPS game in existence? :blink: Your review didn't do a good job of selling the game - you completely ignore everything that sets this game apart from other TDS games, and just focus on superficial details. You talk about sound and graphics when this game is clearly about GAMEPLAY, which you completely ignore. Though less biased than your Iji review, this one is no more professional.

Not only do guns have their own sounds, but grenades have their own throwing, bouncing and exploding sound effect, knives either slashing or on impact is greeted with their own sounds, and even dying has its own effect.

What games have you been playing that have the same gun sounds as knife sounds? Having separate sounds for separate actions seems like Game Design 101, i.e. something that should be so obvious that it doesn't have to be mentioned.

When in the game, you can see the HUDs. To the top left, there is a percentage meter that indicates how much damage you have taken, the weapon you currently are holding and how many bullets you have. To the top right, there is a minimap the displays the entire fields and tells you where you re located, where your team is located and as well as the enemy's location. The bottom left HUD is a killfeed. This little box incicates who killed who and how they did it. To the opposide direction is your personal stats for the current game you're in. It shows your name and how many kills you are away from winning the game. Also, there is a personal feed that pops up as well, telling you which weapon you have picked up, what box you've picked up and what's inside, and who killed you.

Is this a review, or a series of random observations?

My review of your review: 2/10.

#20 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Okay, big bone to pick here (and I don't care this was posted ages ago - I've only just read it).

ADRENALINE will blow your mind away...literally!

Yeah. So playing ADRENALINE will kill you, as it'll remove your brain from your head. That's what literally means. DO NOT misuse it.

#21 mcoot

mcoot

GMC Member

• 387 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Yeah. So playing ADRENALINE will kill you, as it'll remove your brain from your head. That's what literally means. DO NOT misuse it.

He meant literally in a metaphorical way. He didn't literally mean literally. :P

C. swift jumps threads and continues his war... what else is new? I'll admit this review isn't particularly informative, but still. Seriously.

I'd only actually played this game once, a while back (and I figure I should probably mention it, given that I only replied to expand on Dark Matter's assessment of the use of the word literally).

To be honest: meh. I'm not a particular fan of the genre, and this didn't provide me with anything to hook me in.

It's well done, plays nicely, but it does feel a bit like a generic top-down shooter.

That said, you could have a lot of fun with this if you were into that sort of game.

Edited by mcoot, 03 September 2011 - 11:40 AM.

#22 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

He meant literally in a metaphorical way. He didn't literally mean literally. :P

If you want to use literally in a metaphorical sense, you leave it out entirely. The word means "not a metaphor" pretty much, so if you're using it like that, you're simply stupid uneducated.

#23 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

Or you could be making a clever joke.
Personally, I think it's the former.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users